AAA Almost Any Ability

Sample submission.

:avalugg: :dhelmise: :heatran: :chansey: :toxapex: :mew:
The Table Stall

No team is more iconic (besides The Flagship) in AAA imo than The Table Stall. This team has singlehandedly ruined the mentals of many a suspect test ladderer, seen mild tournament success when brought, and carried me personally to at least 3 different suspect tests throughout various metas. For months I have toiled away, attempting to find the perfect version of stall, and I believe I have finally struck a gold mine.

Avalugg is the main cornerstone of this team, with its titanic physical bulk allowing it to switch into various physical breakers such as ZyDog, Barraskewda, Tapu Bulu, Zarude, Salamence, Golisopod, and even stuff like Terrakion from full if it wants to scout. It never really dies unless I want it to, and with strong support moves like Rapid Spin, Toxic, and Icicle Spear to fuck over Sub ZyGod, it is undisputedly a valuable member of the team. Dhelmise is the secondary hazards removal, mainly used for those annoying Excadrill builds, but also for its status immunity and nifty Ground resist, adding even more counterplay to ZyDog and Garchomp. Suffice to say, with these two alive, they are nothing but fleas. Heatran is the obligatory Steel-type Rocker that deals with mons like Corviknight and Tapu Koko, getting Rocks up almost always in a meta without Magic Bounce. Volcarona was a nuisance for past renditions of this team, but fear not! With your trusty Rock Slide Heatran and some smart EVs, you always live a hit from full from +1 MGLO Volcarona and always KO with Rock Slide (unless it misses, then you cry), with the added bonus of outspeeding min Speed Tapu Fini. Chansey is your special wall, mainly there to fuck over Volcanion along with most other special attackers like Heatran and Zapdos, although U-turn chip is annoying to say the least. Pex is standard, you click Haze on setup sweepers and somehow never die. Gastro Acid means that MG mons like Gapdos and Volcarona can't just sit on your forever, especially if they come on a Chansey Toxic or something. Finally, Mew is the role compression mon, putting all of Spikes + Knock + Unaware + Galvanize Kommo-O switch-in + random bullshit denier all in one.

This team is nearly perfect but does have a few issues. Hydreigon wins the moment Chansey gets flinched, DesoLand Taunt + Court Change Cinderace is a major pain in the ass if it has support, and I've seen random shit like Prankster CP + Taunt Mew streamroll this team. Of course, good players with offensive VoltTurn cores can also do well against this team; however, it either requires some strong hazards removal or multiple MG/HDB mons with U-turn, and even then, between the double removal and Knock on Mew, I feel the team has enough counterplay for them. I truly hope this absolutely iconic team is considered as a sample team.
somebody beat me with a table stall with iron defense avalugg, my zapdos was weak and regardless wasn't really an answer

maybe it was you, and it was possibly before the current iteration of my team, my rune and zap were weak and both died to avalanche or something like that, then body press did more than half to umbreon, even unaware, my set had less defense then, basically a cteam, and yes I would agree it is legendary to an extent

seems kind of weak to gapdos now that I'm looking at it closer, seeing as it's on basically 90 percent of ahem high ladder teams that's a big problem, basically every team without physdef zapdos is weak to it, I made a dauntless koko stall but it has never made it to the battlefield, opened too many holes to lose defensive zapdos

overall though I would say this team is a great example of what aaa is about, making mons viable, that normally wouldn't be used, being creative, etc

Last edited:

Grim_Blazer

Banned deucer.
Unfortunately, I forgot I sucked at building HO
You really shoulda hit me up for that lol I'd always be up to help make a heat HO team for you guys, god only knows how many times I've came to you to give me a second opinion on my teams.

That aside I just wanted to write down a little bit of my thoughts about the metagame because I think the tier is getting some potentially unwarranted hate, and has been for a long time. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the main problem that people seem to have in the tier is the overall power level. The power level of the tier is fairly high with a lot of strong breakers and a lot of good walls and pivots, which does make it harder to build good teams that don't lose to random things, but I honestly don't see this as a huge problem. I can understand banning some things like koko and gapdos to take some strain off the builder but short of banning 30 mons or almost every offensive and defensive ability you'll always have strong breakers and strong pivots/walls since it's just in the nature of the tier. Bringing up an old example, everyone thought that kommo was broken back when unburden was legal (which it was) but then other mons ended up taking its role as a drumburden sweeper once it was banned and therefore the council decided to ban unburden (that ban was completely unwarranted in my humble opinion but that's not a conversation for tonight). My point is that if we just ban a couple of mons there will always be an abundance of super strong breakers that sometimes just run through your team unless we ban adaptability, sheer force, tough claws, and tinted lens. Due to the sheer strength that a good ability can provide even stuff like pikachu and togekiss are considered viable, on the defensive side (which not many people seem to be complaining about but it should still be mentioned) abilities like regenerator and dauntless shield make mons like runerigus and doublade viable. These mons may not be the most common or the best but I think that just goes to show that without banning a whole slew of abilities or mons there will almost always be a strong breaker or a strong wall that can just destroy your team. I'm all for banning some things that people think are broken but it seems like people have been giving the tier a lot of hate for something that can't really be fixed without banning it down to AAA UU.

I may not be the greatest at explaining how I feel on this but I personally love the tier, the only real changes I would make would be unbanning unburden and maybe banning some things like koko, power construct, or maybe gapdos. Overall though I am still having a lot of fun building and playing the tier, keep up the good work and UNBAN UNBURDEN!

Last edited:
You really shoulda hit me up for that lol I'd always be up to help make a heat HO team for you guys, god only knows how many times I've came to you to give me a second opinion on my teams.

That aside I just wanted to write down a little bit of my thoughts about the metagame because I think the meta is getting some potentially unwarranted hate, and has been for a long time. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the main problem that people seem to have in the tier is the overall power level. The power level of the tier is fairly high with a lot of strong breakers and a lot of good walls and pivots, which does make it harder to build good teams that don't lose to random things, but I honestly don't see this as a huge problem to be honest. I can understand banning some things like koko and gapdos to take some strain off the builder but short of banning 30 mons or almost every offensive and defensive ability you'll always have strong breakers and strong pivots/walls since it's just in the nature of the tier. Bringing up an old example, everyone thought that kommo was broken back when unburden was legal (which it was) but then other mons ended up taking its role as a drumburden sweeper once it was banned and therefore the council decided to ban unburden (that ban was completely unwarranted in my humble opinion but that's not a conversation for tonight). My point is that if we just ban a couple of mons there will always be an abundance of super strong breakers that sometimes just run through your team unless we ban adaptability, sheer force, tough claws, and tinted lens. Due to the sheer strength that a good ability can provide even stuff like pikachu and togekiss are considered viable, on the defensive side (which not many people seem to be complaining about but it should still be mentioned) abilities like regenerator and dauntless shield make mons like runerigus and doublade viable. These mons may not be the most common or the best but I think that just goes to show that without banning a whole slew of abilities or mons there will almost always be a strong breaker or a strong wall that can just destroy your team. I'm all for banning some things that people think are broken but it seems like people have been giving the tier a lot of hate for something that can't really be fixed without banning it down to AAA UU.

I may not be the greatest at explaining how I feel on this but I personally love the tier, the only real changes I would make would be unbanning unburden and maybe banning some things like koko, power construct, or maybe gapdos. Overall though I am still having a lot of fun building and playing the tier, keep up the good work and UNBAN UNBURDEN!
agreed, I think the metagame is overall pretty healthy, maybe koko and gapdos are op, but it leaves you wondering when do the suspects end

I run poison jab ferro with rest, in large part because of taunt koko, does that make it op, maybe, then again, I basically invalidated that koko set, same with defensive zapdos to counter gapdos

I think with the new gen so close though most of this will be forgotten and maybe some of these mons will be dexited snapped from existence so it really might not make sense to spend time searching for every threat that is maybe slightly too good

and I definitely disagree with banning regen because you basically snap all the underused defensive mons from ever being viable again

Grim_Blazer

Banned deucer.
sadly I didn't have time to grind up to top 20 like I did last time but I think this team could carry me to top 20 if I actually cared to do it rn so I hope y'all add it as a sample
I accidentally grinded my test account up to top 50 with this, thought I’d add that here lol I’ll update if I casually make top 20 but I’m not gonna actually try to grind it

Test account rating.jpg

Well I didn't casually make top 20, but I did casually make top 10 with this team so I thought I would update like I said I would

test top 10.jpg

Last edited:
fantastic write up on runerigus Isaiah

without will o wisp it would just be palosand, it's so key that you can wisp non flash fire corvik, then you win the hazard war basically

I've tried making other teams with other mons to do what it does but nothing really creates that much pressure and can cripple so many mons

also heatran wants to come in on your reign of terror could take an eq and instantly die

this is my current spread
Runerigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 36 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic Spikes
- Night Shade
- Earthquake

it hits a jump point in defense, and then the rest in spd, you can live somethings, probably non specs regen heatran magma storm and ko back, you also take scald from pex a bit better so you can will o it easier, calm mind koko as well

252 SpA Life Orb Heatran Steel Beam vs. 252 HP / 36 SpD Runerigus: 274-325 (85.6 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 36 SpD Runerigus: 253-300 (79 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Pixilate Tapu Koko Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Runerigus: 144-169 (45 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

you hit a jump point of 418 def with this spread, since I run leftovers, I don't really need max def to not get 2hkoed by koko, or gapdos after lorb and band is knocked

pro tip will o goes through prim sea

Last edited:

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
I got a Sample submission, have been using this HO as of lately (unless your definition of HO involves no corv)
:regieleki: :tapu koko: :tapu lele: :talonflame: :zarude: :corviknight:
https://pokepast.es/a016dd243a3597bf

Team is simple, works like most HO teams found on all tiers, Regieleki sets screen and blow up to let the other 5 take from there, double fairy and double bird let you wear down stuff to prepare the wincon for that game, usually corv or lele, with Zadure also enjoying the damage on stuff like Corv and Heatran. Corviknight can set up on most slow mons and counters most popular electric types on the tier keeping stuff like Koko in check.
You rely on priority against opposite offensive team, if Kommo-o manages to pull off a BD then you need a healthy lele to stop it if screens are down, but other triage users aren't a problem, meanwhile variants of Psychic Surge Azelf can be annoying as you have to be aggressive and predict well, or it may fish some kills, zam may be similar, but there shouldn't be a risk of it running scarf so half of the team can just run over it.
Now the biggest threat for the team is Talonflame, as you need eleki and koko to hurt it and the opponent won't let you hit it that easily, Rock Slide let Zarude beat it on the switch while being great coverage overall with Grass, but that requires prediction.

:zapdos-galar: :heatran: :mew: :landorus-therian: :skarmory: :barraskewda:
https://pokepast.es/1100b4ccac3287f3
Throwing out a very solid team imo into the ether, could probs be a sample team too (submission)
I also laddered up with this if thats worth stuff to people

Gzap is like simply broken
This team has insane amounts of volt-turn to get it in repeatedly. Includes all the goons; AV Lando, Scarf Mew, etc. These 2 come in on and gain momentum on everything ever. Especially Lando
Dual weather to support Lando weaknesses, Heatran is also great partner for Gzap, comes in on all of the physical walls to do Heatran things. Skewda is broken at getting things into position for Gzap and speed control, and is simply busted on its own imo
Skarmory last mon to shore up the defensive core. Does Corviknight things, but also gets up spikes (break doublade, etc) which Corv cannot do. Eject button to keep up and steal momentum, get in that Gzap evermore. Dont replace this for classic Skarm sets. If you want to, make it a Corviknight
Play fast and loose, this team can soft check pretty much everything but you have to juggle to do so.
Finding the winpath is usually straightforward. Gzap is an obvious wincon vs 99.9% of teams, You can also play your Heatran, Skewda, HazardStack

:ferrothorn::tapu-koko::talonflame::swampert::corviknight::mew:
Because You're Here - Bulletproof Ferrothorn + Regenerator Swampert Balance

this team is centered around my beloved bulletproof ferrothorn, and it does a lot of work here. as an example, think of the problem matchups for this team: tapu koko, tapu lele, barraskewda, inteleon. what're these all checked by? bulletproof ferrothorn, of course! normally, ferrothorn would be dead weight against the average lele, but with bulletproof, its one of the best counters! but enough sucking ferro off, lets talk about the team. i've already said what ferrothorn brings to the table, so no need for that. swampert and corviknight have excellent defensive synergy, allowing them to spam fliip turn and u-turn on whatever switches into them. the fire that pert cant handle(volcarona) is easily dealt with by flash fire corviknight, and the physical attacker that corv cant handle(adapt zydog) is easily beaten by pert. pixikoko and talonflame have excellent offensive synergy, too, as they can break past each other's checks quite easily(aside from a couple which are handled by the defensive mons). and finally, regenscarf mew is here to do mew stuff. excellent glue, prob gonna be using it on every team. main problem mus are zygod(if you want to improve that, keep your scarf on mew until zydog is dead!), volcanion, and hydreigon(or just really really strong dragons iin general, latios comes to mind). if you have any improvements that would make it more sample worthy to you, lmk!

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
REJOICE​

:ss/Heliolisk: :ss/Boltund: :ss/Helioptile:

Electrify is now BANNED from Almost Any Ability. To put it simply, it's an uncompetitive move that promotes stalemate interactions where assuming you have Pokemon tanky enough to eat the attacks from Lightning Rod + Electrify users, you end up in a stall sequence where you're switching back and forth repeatedly to try and PP stall Electrify. Either that, or your team must have Pokemon that can outspeed and KO the Electrify user, and even that can still be frustrated by Substitute. In essence, there are many situations where sets featuring moves like Substitute, Charge Beam, and even Agility can outright deny opposing teams the ability to make any meaningful progress.

Votes:
UT: BAN
Isaiah: BAN
beauts: BAN
avery: ABS
The Number Man: ABS
Osake: Crying and in shambles

Tagging Kris for implementation.

Grim_Blazer

Banned deucer.
I lost a game ghosted by Atha and Palapapop vs a 1100 ladder dude with an Electrify team, this isn't broken nor unhealthy.......
I understand that you want me to stay retired forever by banning all my beloved mons, therefore I'll accomplish your wish and become a NFE main.
goodbye AAA...

im crying rn..
Help me campaign to unban unburden and I’ll help you campaign to unban electrify

Isaiah

is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
SAMPLE TEAMS

Sample teams have now been updated! Thanks to everyone that submitted one.
AAA Sample Teams
[Last updated October 28, 2022]
Submissions: Closed

RegenScarf Latias Balance
by astralydia :zapdos: :zarude: :latias: :landorus-therian: :heatran: :corviknight:

Corrosion Tran Fat by Isaiah :mew: :tapu-fini: :garchomp: :heatran: :chansey: :skarmory:

Azelf + Gapdos Bulky Offense by US South :azelf: :zapdos-galar: :nidoqueen: :corviknight: :chansey: :kommo-o:

Specs Azelf Balance by The Number Man :landorus-therian: :heatran: :talonflame: :tapu-fini: :azelf: :mandibuzz:

BIG ZYG Fat by beauts :heatran: :mandibuzz: :slowking-galar: :zygarde-10: :tapu-koko: :suicune:

Gapdos + Pivots Offense by DeepFriedMagikarp :zapdos-galar: :heatran: :mew: :landorus-therian: :skarmory: :barraskewda:

Chandelure + Zarude Bulky Offense by US South :skarmory: :zarude: :chandelure: :blissey: :mandibuzz: :nidoqueen:

Band Zarude + SFLO Lele Bulky Offense by Shandeur :zarude: :corviknight: :tapu-lele: :heatran: :zapdos: :palossand:

Mew + Goltres Screens HO by Grim_Blazer :tapu-koko: :mew: :garchomp: :volcarona: :moltres-galar: :barraskewda:
Here are all of the teams that were considered but not accepted (just for anyone who wants to give them a try):
https://pokepast.es/f3d1551db61f5221 Talonflame + Rotom Balance by Isaiah
https://pokepast.es/85aac9e74154c92f Pixie Koko + IronPress Tran Balance by Isaiah
https://pokepast.es/e926b4dc2c2f7eda Rune + Guts Mew HO by beauts
https://pokepast.es/b4518459a2d72868 Slow Clickers by Isaiah
https://pokepast.es/d47d55a86877cec0BULU is BACK (again) by Isaiah
https://pokepast.es/e7d87b22eea21c17 CorvBlissPert Bulky Offense by BugGoBrrrrrr
https://pokepast.es/8c03af7286815ade Band Zarude + SFLO Lele Bulky Offense by Shandeur
https://pokepast.es/a016dd243a3597bf Corv + Koko Screens HO by KaenSoul
https://pokepast.es/15171fe22ba81ba2 Koko + Talonflame Bulky Offense by Codename C.A.T
https://pokepast.es/855fce5f1eac094cTable Stall by Heracross2.0
https://pokepast.es/3cbf686141747ecb Super Fang Cinderace + Toxic Spikes Bulky Offense by UT
https://pokepast.es/a4781f0c9d492561 The Flagship but now much worse by UT
https://pokepast.es/6cce87222b8b35fc Six Attacker HO by UT
https://pokepast.es/80907ac25c065b80 Spikes, Koko, and Talonflame BO by UT
(Unless something insane happens in the next few weeks) That wraps up resources for the gen! Thanks to everyone that participated in building/playing :]

REJOICE

:ss/Heliolisk: :ss/Boltund: :ss/Helioptile:

Electrify is now BANNED from Almost Any Ability. To put it simply, it's an uncompetitive move that promotes stalemate interactions where assuming you have Pokemon tanky enough to eat the attacks from Lightning Rod + Electrify users, you end up in a stall sequence where you're switching back and forth repeatedly to try and PP stall Electrify. Either that, or your team must have Pokemon that can outspeed and KO the Electrify user, and even that can still be frustrated by Substitute. In essence, there are many situations where sets featuring moves like Substitute, Charge Beam, and even Agility can outright deny opposing teams the ability to make any meaningful progress.

Votes:
UT: BAN
Isaiah: BAN
beauts: BAN
avery: ABS
The Number Man: ABS
Osake: Crying and in shambles

Tagging Kris for implementation.
I always tell people don't attack it, most teams do have the capability to stall out its electric normal coverage, that usually falls on deaf ears though, once you give it a boost it can break a lot of offensive teams, stall lords win again

:ferrothorn::tapu-koko::talonflame::swampert::corviknight::mew:
Because You're Here - Bulletproof Ferrothorn + Regenerator Swampert Balance

this team is centered around my beloved bulletproof ferrothorn, and it does a lot of work here. as an example, think of the problem matchups for this team: tapu koko, tapu lele, barraskewda, inteleon. what're these all checked by? bulletproof ferrothorn, of course! normally, ferrothorn would be dead weight against the average lele, but with bulletproof, its one of the best counters! but enough sucking ferro off, lets talk about the team. i've already said what ferrothorn brings to the table, so no need for that. swampert and corviknight have excellent defensive synergy, allowing them to spam fliip turn and u-turn on whatever switches into them. the fire that pert cant handle(volcarona) is easily dealt with by flash fire corviknight, and the physical attacker that corv cant handle(adapt zydog) is easily beaten by pert. pixikoko and talonflame have excellent offensive synergy, too, as they can break past each other's checks quite easily(aside from a couple which are handled by the defensive mons). and finally, regenscarf mew is here to do mew stuff. excellent glue, prob gonna be using it on every team. main problem mus are zygod(if you want to improve that, keep your scarf on mew until zydog is dead!), volcanion, and hydreigon(or just really really strong dragons iin general, latios comes to mind). if you have any improvements that would make it more sample worthy to you, lmk!
I've started using bulletproof ferro over flash fire ferro and it might be my main now, just knowing sheer force focus blast and lele in general won't be a problem is a huge boon for stall, I usually have flash fire ferro and prim sea corvik on the same team, which gives me a better matchup vs heatran and cinderace (believe it or not someone koed me with flare blitz cinderace), but I've considered that it might be redundant in my brief testing of bulletproof ferro I already beat a magic room nasty plot alakazam with focus blast, and a calm mind lele both would have swept me, I would have tested more but my computer is having ram issues so I haven't been playing

Last edited:
With Zeraora gone, are there any notable users of mixed tough claws? Grass knot and Petal Dance are the only notable special moves that are contact (I guess draining kiss, but that's pretty much reserved for triage only). Tough Claws physical Koko seems like the best bet, but without fairy coverage and utilizing double recoil moves (if it chooses to run wild charge and brave bird). Has anyone ran any other sets utilizing tough claws for mixed or special attackers? Of course Victini could've used it, but that's banned as well.

UT

Roaring 20s, tossing pennies in the pool
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
With Zeraora gone, are there any notable users of mixed tough claws? Grass knot and Petal Dance are the only notable special moves that are contact (I guess draining kiss, but that's pretty much reserved for triage only). Tough Claws physical Koko seems like the best bet, but without fairy coverage and utilizing double recoil moves (if it chooses to run wild charge and brave bird). Has anyone ran any other sets utilizing tough claws for mixed or special attackers? Of course Victini could've used it, but that's banned as well.
Hi, the short answer is not really. Like you said, there are very, very few Special moves that are boosted by Tough Claws, so it's hard to find something that utilizes both. Additionally, since AAA tends to be bulkier than standard play with the prevalence of Intimidate, Dauntless Shield, and RegenVest, finding something with the power to credibly hit on both sides of the spectrum is rare.

Zeraora and Victini were two of the few that could credibly use mixed Tough Claws, but are banned; even then, they were heavily physically based, and used Grass Knot to snipe very specific checks like Physdef Swampert and Dauntless Shield Hippowdon.

For Tapu Koko, it can get incredible utility from Magic Guard, unlock strong Fairy STAB with Pixilate, or even run Adaptability sets to get slightly stronger boost on its main moves. The damage amp on U-turn isn't valuable in most cases, and Brave Bird doesn't provide particularly meaningful coverage for it.

Virtually all of our relevant Tough Claws users, mostly Zarude and Galarian Zapdos, are physically based.

I hope that helps! Good question!

Isaiah

UM/OM Leader
Thought I'd post a few teams I laddered with recently since I peaked #1 and will now be subjecting myself to the torture and horrors of trying to figure out HO until SV comes out:
1667336257640.png

:Landorus-Therian::Kommo-o::Chansey::Corviknight::Tapu Koko::Umbreon:
This team looks like it shouldn't be good at all since it's so passive, but it actually does a decent job of dancing around and stalling things out. If you run into something you can't break, /forfeit is free-of-charge. A tip vs Trick users is to go hard into Lando-T and hope they click it that turn; otherwise, /forfeit is free-of-charge.

:Mew::Nidoqueen::Zapdos::Chansey::Kommo-o::Skarmory:
I built the same team again but this time I wanted to try TSpikes, pretty self-explanatory tbh. Galarian Zapdos and opposing hazard-stack are really hard but not impossible.

:Tapu Koko::Tapu Fini::Registeel::Zapdos-Galar::Heatran::Garchomp:
I thought it would be funny to try and cheese some wins with Pressure Registeel. If I recall correctly, this team won every match it didn't lose.

:Zapdos-Galar::Tapu Koko::Blissey::Swampert::Corviknight::Tapu Lele:
I think I helped someone in SmogCord complete this, but honestly all CorvBlissPert teams look the same to me so it's hard to recall. Pretty cool team, can beat a lot of stuff just by pivoting into Tapu Lele. If you have to hit a Focus blast to win, good luck.

Last edited:
Thought I'd post a few teams I laddered with recently since I peaked #1 and will now be subjecting myself to the torture and horrors of trying to figure out HO until SV comes out:

:Landorus-Therian::Kommo-o::Chansey::Corviknight::Tapu Koko::Umbreon:
This team looks like it shouldn't be good at all since it's so passive, but it actually does a decent job of dancing around and stalling things out. If you run into something you can't break, /forfeit is free-of-charge. A tip vs Trick users is to go hard into Lando-T and hope they click it that turn; otherwise, /forfeit is free-of-charge.

:Mew::Nidoqueen::Zapdos::Chansey::Kommo-o::Skarmory:
I built the same team again but this time I wanted to try TSpikes, pretty self-explanatory tbh. Galarian Zapdos and opposing hazard-stack are really hard but not impossible.

:Tapu Koko::Tapu Fini::Registeel::Zapdos-Galar::Heatran::Garchomp:
I thought it would be funny to try and cheese some wins with Pressure Registeel. If I recall correctly, this team won every match it didn't lose.

:Zapdos-Galar::Tapu Koko::Blissey::Swampert::Corviknight::Tapu Lele:
I think I helped someone in SmogCord complete this, but honestly all CorvBlissPert teams look the same to me so it's hard to recall. Pretty cool team, can beat a lot of stuff just by pivoting into Tapu Lele. If you have to hit a Focus blast to win, good luck.
nice

I've always thought about using pressure on my stalls but really corviknight and zapdos are some of the best pressure users, most mons have better abilities, I always like to see that though, seems to make more sense on like a balance or offensive team, like yea regi will pivot in and waste some pp, maybe even sweep, can't be toxiced, probably the best pressure user, maybe tapu fini also, rest irond calm mind moonblast/scald, fini resists a lot of low pp powerful moves, then the rest of your team can come in later, close combat, pyro ball, draco meteor, steam eruption

I have to say you didn't use runerigus and now that I've annoyed everyone I'm off, bottom team is literally the meta.exe, also tspikes is incredible most people don't really think about them

Last edited:

Grim_Blazer

Banned deucer.
Beauts and I had been talking about the idea of no lead, six attacker HO, and tried to bring it against Atha. Unfortunately, I forgot I sucked at building HO, and we had a hard time landing on a team or doing consistent testing. I ended up leaving beauts mostly out to dry building wise, and MZ also loaded into a tough matchup where Atha won the lead handily and brought a really cool tech in Agility Galarian Zapdos. Can't win 'em all.
I am back again to post a funny HO team, this time not for samples, but instead to show what could have been brought if only UT had asked for my help building the no lead HO they made here.

:zapdos galar: :barraskewda: :heatran: :tapu bulu: :garchomp: :tapu koko:

:zapdos galar: This set is heat as fuck honestly, I stole the agility idea from the post I'm quoting and it's been sooo good.

:barraskewda: Barra on HO is super good, flip turn is nice for pivoting and the other moves hit super hard. Not much more to say.

:heatran: Eruption kills everything not named blissy and chansey and magma storm + taunt kills those two (unless they're magic guard in which case you cry) it's a little on the slower end since it doesn't have scarf but that's ok cause the team is already really fast with scale shot chomp, agility gapdos, koko, barra, and triage bulu.

:tapu bulu: It's nice to have some priority on the team and it's nice to have another mon that can beat pex.

:garchomp: I have gone from spamming unaware chomp to spamming dazzling chomp since priority is annoying.

:tapu koko: Koko is broko, I decided to put work up instead of a pivoting move here to get extra KO's

Let me know what y'all think about the team and don't forget to harass the top players into using my funny HO teams!

Ladder Gremlin out!

I am back again to post a funny HO team, this time not for samples, but instead to show what could have been brought if only UT had asked for my help building the no lead HO they made here.

:zapdos galar: :barraskewda: :heatran: :tapu bulu: :garchomp: :tapu koko:

:zapdos galar: This set is heat as fuck honestly, I stole the agility idea from the post I'm quoting and it's been sooo good.

:barraskewda: Barra on HO is super good, flip turn is nice for pivoting and the other moves hit super hard. Not much more to say.

:heatran: Eruption kills everything not named blissy and chansey and magma storm + taunt kills those two (unless they're magic guard in which case you cry) it's a little on the slower end since it doesn't have scarf but that's ok cause the team is already really fast with scale shot chomp, agility gapdos, koko, barra, and triage bulu.

:tapu bulu: It's nice to have some priority on the team and it's nice to have another mon that can beat pex.

:garchomp: I have gone from spamming unaware chomp to spamming dazzling chomp since priority is annoying.

:tapu koko: Koko is broko, I decided to put work up instead of a pivoting move here to get extra KO's

Let me know what y'all think about the team and don't forget to harass the top players into using my funny HO teams!

Ladder Gremlin out!
Can confirm, this team works wonders. It does well into Balance, Offense, and Stall alike.

Stall gets ravaged by Heatran + Bulu. I laddered for a bit before encountering this team. I knew what I had to do, and broke it down in less than 25 turns.

Tapu Bulu has been super helpful into faster threats, and has helped secure kills vs Scarfers, and Heatran is a demonic stallbreaker as always. Koko can often beat Stall after something such as Regen Ferro has been removed. (Unless they have something like Vabsorb Corv in the back)

9/10, would recommend for laddering.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Hello friends :)

It has come to my attention that for some reason Brightpowder and Lax Incense were never banned in this metagame. I don't believe they're very common, but the use of them is uncompetitive, and they add nothing of value to the metagame.

These items are banned in many metagames including OU and I see nothing that makes them more competitive here. I know it's very late in the generation to be bringing this up but this meta will be played in the future and can set a precedent which is very valuable for future AAA metagames.

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
hi, ladder was recently taken down, here's challenge codes
/challenge gen8anythinggoes @@@ Standard OMs, !Obtainable Abilities, Ability Clause = 2, Sleep Moves Clause, -King’s Rock, -Baton Pass, -Electrify, -Archeops, -Buzzwole, -Blacephalon, -Calyrex-Ice, -Calyrex-Shadow, -Dialga, -Dracovish, -Dragapult, -Dragonite, -Eternatus, -Genesect, -Gengar, -Giratina, -Giratina-Origin, -Groudon, -Ho-Oh, -Kartana, -Keldeo, -Kyogre, -Kyurem, -Kyurem-Black, -Kyurem-White, -Lugia, -Lunala, -Magearna, -Marshadow, -Melmetal, -Mewtwo, -Naganadel, -Necrozma-Dawn-Wings, -Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, -Noivern, -Palkia, -Pheromosa, -Rayquaza, -Regigigas, -Reshiram, -Shedinja, -Solgaleo, -Spectrier, -Urshifu-Single-Strike, -Urshifu-Rapid-Strike, -Victini, -Weavile, -Xerneas, -Yveltal, -Zacian, -Zacian-Crowned, -Zamazenta, -Zekrom, -Zeraora, -Zygarde-50%, +Zygarde-10%, -Arena Trap, -Comatose, -Contrary, -Fluffy, -Fur Coat, -Gorilla Tactics, -Huge Power, -Ice Scales, -Illusion, -Imposter, -Innards Out, -Intrepid Sword, -Libero, -Magic Bounce, -Magnet Pull, -Moody, -Neutralizing Gas, -Parental Bond, -Poison Heal, -Protean, -Pure Power, -Shadow Tag, -Simple, -Stakeout, -Speed Boost, -Unburden, -Water Bubble, -Wonder Guard
/tour new gen8anythinggoes, elimination,,, Gen 8 AAA
/tour rules Standard OMs, !Obtainable Abilities, Ability Clause = 2, Sleep Moves Clause, -King’s Rock, -Baton Pass, -Electrify, -Archeops, -Buzzwole, -Blacephalon, -Calyrex-Ice, -Calyrex-Shadow, -Dialga, -Dracovish, -Dragapult, -Dragonite, -Eternatus, -Genesect, -Gengar, -Giratina, -Giratina-Origin, -Groudon, -Ho-Oh, -Kartana, -Keldeo, -Kyogre, -Kyurem, -Kyurem-Black, -Kyurem-White, -Lugia, -Lunala, -Magearna, -Marshadow, -Melmetal, -Mewtwo, -Naganadel, -Necrozma-Dawn-Wings, -Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, -Noivern, -Palkia, -Pheromosa, -Rayquaza, -Regigigas, -Reshiram, -Shedinja, -Solgaleo, -Spectrier, -Urshifu-Single-Strike, -Urshifu-Rapid-Strike, -Victini, -Weavile, -Xerneas, -Yveltal, -Zacian, -Zacian-Crowned, -Zamazenta, -Zekrom, -Zeraora, -Zygarde-50%, +Zygarde-10%, -Arena Trap, -Comatose, -Contrary, -Fluffy, -Fur Coat, -Gorilla Tactics, -Huge Power, -Ice Scales, -Illusion, -Imposter, -Innards Out, -Intrepid Sword, -Libero, -Magic Bounce, -Magnet Pull, -Moody, -Neutralizing Gas, -Parental Bond, -Poison Heal, -Protean, -Pure Power, -Shadow Tag, -Simple, -Stakeout, -Speed Boost, -Unburden, -Water Bubble, -Wonder Guard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)