Partially Approved Allow /forceroomban for users whose userobject has already expired

Archas

Getting over the barrier
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm not a coder or programmer, so I'm not particularly familiar with the terminology used here, but from my understanding, a user who logs into Showdown creates a userobject for that session which is the target of room punishments such as mutes and bans. After logging out for long enough, that userobject expires, and they can't be issued said room punishments anymore. This can be problematic in certain situations, such as particularly heinous offenses in chats where only drivers are available.

For example: last night, the lobby was only staffed by drivers. A really nasty user came along and said some stuff that was easily bannable, but since drivers can only hourmute, that was the punishment administered. The user logged off after that. I was unable to ban the user when I logged on several hours later, despite the offense clearly warranting it, because their userobject had expired. I suppose notes could be made to say that the previous offense should be treated as a ban for all future considerations, but I do think it'd be more intuitive to simply be able to ban them outright. We have a similar system in place for global punishments, so I see no reason why it couldn't be extended to room punishments.

EDIT: HoeenHero says the above won't work due to limitations on the command. I suppose my suggestion then changes to: reconfigure the current system to attach an IP address to a punishment when a user whose userobject has expired once again logs in.

Last edited:

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
The problem with this is no user object means no IP address, the punishment becomes easily evadable by changing names if we allow banning by name alone. This is the reason things like offline locks require an alternate command to confirm your ok with that consequence.

Archas

Getting over the barrier
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I see. Could a workaround be implemented by adding a command that will ban said user as soon as they log on again? Again, not a programmer so I don't know the limitations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)