Rejected Allow for better Alphabet Cup support in teambuilder and /ms

As Alphabet Cup is currently OMotM, I'm hoping we could have some better support.

One suggestion I've been given was to have the teambuilder work like STABmons in that all of the available moves are just shown as selections, rather than having to type them in for each moveslot.

A second one is /ms having a "letter" parameter. I think the easiest way to do this would be starts <letter>. An example is /ms starts G, physical would display all physical moves starting with G.

Another potentially relevant command is /evoline <pokemon>. This command would show all pokemon that are in the same evolutionary line as the provided one. An example would be /evoline Haxorus would output: :axew: Axew | :fraxure: Fraxure
In cases where someone provided an NFE, the output could accommodate accordingly:

/evoline Fraxure
Prior evolution(s): :axew: Axew
Potential evolution(s): :haxorus: Haxorus

/evoline Vileplume
Prior evolution(s): :oddish: Oddish :gloom: Gloom
Alternative evolution(s): :bellossom: Bellossom

I'm dumb and my memory is horrible. I forgot that this was already discussed. I apologize.

Last edited:

pants

*dies inconveniently*
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As a user coming from a room where having to find weirdly specific stuff like this is expected, there are ways to do this already without having to add niche parameters to a command that already has a bunch of possibilities that I’d wager a lot of people don’t know about.

For the alphabet cup suggestion, all /ms and /ds outputs appear in alphabetical order by default. The only exceptions are if you include an ascending or descending parameter, such as BP asc. For the example you mentioned, you could “/ms physical, all” and then go to the G section. Moves in teambuilder are also listed in alphabetical order, so you could go to teambuilder and search through the list of moves after inputting the desired filters.

For the evoline command suggestion, you can do /dt of the Pokémon, and then click it’s name to bring up its Pokédex page. Thispage includes its evolution family directly under its base stats, like this:
8FCD7566-1C78-4CE2-8E17-7352C47FF9CE.jpeg

As a user coming from a room where having to find weirdly specific stuff like this, there are ways to do this already without having to add niche parameters to a command that already has a bunch of possibilities that I’d wager a lot of people don’t know about.

For the alphabet cup suggestion, all /ms and /ds outputs appear in alphabetical order by default. The only exceptions are if you include an ascending or descending parameter, such as BP asc. For the example you mentioned, you could “/ms physical, all” and then go to the G section. Moves in teambuilder are also listed in alphabetical order, so you could go to teambuilder and search through the list of moves after inputting the desired filters.

For the evoline command suggestion, you can do /dt of the Pokémon, and then click it’s name to bring up its Pokédex page. Thispage includes its evolution family directly under its base stats, like this:
View attachment 296677
Okay but the point is that I also can just open up Serebii or Bulbapedia and find everything that way - the goal is ultimately to make things convenient and have as much within the sim as possible.

If I wanted to use "/ms physical, all" and manually look through it, why not just use that in an equivalent and look for all the moves with punch or pulse in their name? I mean they'll be right there. The bigger picture is that it draws no negative effects to anyone, would be very simple/quick to code (and the scaffolding is already there with the validator rule), and would help make other things easier.

I don't mean to be abrasive, but I feel like this is really antithetical to the whole point of having commands, you know?

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Denying this on the basis that alphabet cup is only around as a format for a month and we have told you on multiple occasions we aren’t giving full team builder support to this meta unless it becomes a permaladder, and the /ms support would be done in a general sense if anything to support all formats.

Denying this on the basis that alphabet cup is only around as a format for a month and we have told you on multiple occasions we aren’t giving full team builder support to this meta unless it becomes a permaladder, and the /ms support would be done in a general sense if anything to support all formats.
You are very right and I apologize. That totally escaped me for some reason, even though we've discussed it before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)