SS PU All The Stars [1K RMT]

Drud

is a Tutor Alumnus
PUPL Champion

Introduction

Hey! This will be my 1000th post on Smogon. I've been on Smogon for a little longer than 5 years and I've enjoyed most of my tier, especially after switching from maining old gens to PU. In commemoration of all that I will be showcasing my favorite team of the current PU meta.

Building Process

:Ribombee: :Silvally-Steel:

The main idea behind this team is to try and break with Silvally-Steel, Silvally has useful coverage that can give Ribombee a better shot at cleaning. Ribombee provides a Fighting and Ground resist for Silvally while Silvally provides Ribombee with a Flying, Rock and Steel resist.

:Ribombee: :Silvally-Steel: :Charizard: :Tangela:

Next up I added Charizard as a bit of a special wallbreaker that poses as a second Fighting check and also as a second Fairy-type check since Silvally can get chipped easily, it has defog and can deal with most Poison-types that the previous mons don't love going up against. I wanted a sturdy physical defensive blanket check that wasn't passive and I came up with offensive Tangela

:Ribombee: :Silvally-Steel: :Charizard: :Tangela: :Lanturn: :Sandaconda:

At this point while I did have 2 mons that could lure in Charizard, they're both slower than it and don't switch in at all. Since Charizard is one of the best glue mons in the meta I needed to make sure to have a sturdy switch in to it, and decided to use Lanturn. Lanturn also helps with Volt Switch users and is a decent special blanket check that doesn't give up a lot of momentum. Lastly, I added Sandaconda as the team would really appreciate a decent Toxicroak/Lycanroc switch in (Tangela gets 2khoed by Stone Edge after rocks) and I still wanted hazards.

In Depth Analysis:

:ss/ribombee:
FLYING LOTUS (Ribombee) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Shield Dust
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Quiver Dance
- Roost / U-turn

Song this nickname is based on

This is a mon I have already used a lot in the pasts and while it does have some splashable hard counters such as Charizard and Gigalith, it still manages to be useful in a lot of games, for example being to revenge kill something with it's high base speed or being able to switch into for example Passimian. Psychic is mandatory to hit Weezing/Garbodor. I think Roost is important to have on this team since this is the main Scrafty answer and you wanna be able to recover so you can switch into knock multiple times even when Rocks are up, but U-turn is an option that you could run if you want to.

:ss/silvally:
DNA (Silvally-Steel) @ Steel Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Flame Charge
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

This mon has been the star of the show on this team, basically perfect coverage good defensive typing and a good boosting move is all it needs. Multi-Attack at +0 hits like a truck to most mons that get hit neutrally, Flame Charge is there to hit Steel-Types and also to get your speed up so that you can outspeed mons like Scarf Passimian and Charizard. Rock Slide is to hit Fire-types (the main target being Charizard). You can use this both as a breaker and a cleaner depending on the matchup.

:ss/charizard:
NO MORE PARTIES (Charizard) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog

Charizard is a fantastic glue mon right now, it can offensively deal with all the Fairy and Fighting-types running around, has hazard removal and can dish out pretty good damage. This is the main way of dealing with Weezing on the same since nothing else on here beats it 1v1. I like Flamethrower over Fire Blast since that way you at least have 1 move with reliably accuracy.

:ss/tangela:
JOSE GUAPO (Tangela) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 32 Def / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm / Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb / Sleep Powder
- Ancient Power / Knock Off
- Synthesis

By far the most uncommon set on the team, the few Tangela's you do see are full physdef so people won't be expecting this. I have a few teams in ORAS PU with offensive Tangela which inspired me to use this. The Speed investment is so that you outspeed Adamant Trevenant, but you can drop down to 176 Spe EVs if you want. Leaf Storm is a strong stab move but isn't as spammable as Giga Drain. Sludge Bomb mainly hits Ribombee/Whimsicott/Alolan Eggy but you can also use it to fish for poisons. Ancient Power is primarily a Charizard lure to help out Ribombee which unfortunately doesn't always OKHO (it has exactly 50% chance to kill, but you'll be in a good position regardless if you manage to hit it on switch. Knock Off is a generally more useful option and also does pretty well vs Charizard if you can keep the rocks up. Synthesis is just a safe way to stay healthy for when Regenerator doesn't heal enough.

:ss/lanturn:
THE LIGHT (Lanturn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 100 Def / 248 SpD / 120 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Protect / Heal Bell

Lanturn felt necessary as I wanted something that could switch into Charizard/Magmortar/Heliolisk and I felt like Guzzlord would fit awkwardly on here. It's a good general special blanket check that's not a momentum drain thanks to Volt Switch. I like protect here to help recover a little more health by stalling and to scout vs Exeggutor but Heal Bell would probably fit fine on the team, I just don't think it's super necessary and prefer Protect.

:ss/sandaconda:
MORTAL MAN (Sandaconda) @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rest / Rock Slide
- Glare

I hadn't tried Sandaconda in a while because it was kinda awkward in the meta with the broken Water-types and it fit here as I still needed an answer to some of the physical breakers, and it has worked out well so far. If the opponent switches into Gigalith/Regirock on the Charizard/Ribombee, Sandaconda gets a free switch in and chance to either set up rocks or paralyze something with Glare.

Import

Threatlist

:Trevenant: / :Gourgeist: / :Froslass:

My Ghost-resist being offensive Tangela is not a good sign vs these, if you face any of these try to play as aggressively as possible to not let these get in for free vs Sandaconda/Lanturn

:Magmortar: / :Charizard:

These two Fire-type wallbreakers are very annoying to switch into, I have Lanturn but Lanturn lacks recovery and gets chipped down pretty easily.

:Sandslash-Alola:

This could hit everything on my team hard, but offensive sets aren't that common and it gets revenged without manual hail

:Exeggutor-Alola:

Has the potential to OHKO everything on the team, but you can try? to predict or scout with Protect Lanturn

Aliss - By far the person I've talked the most to on Smogon, love talking to you everyday, looking forward to meeting you irl soon, hope things will look up for you irl :)

SergioRules - I talk to you almost every day and you're rly fun to talk to when you're not complaining about everything, also thx for double checking this RMT for writing mistakes lol

Toy Time King - Another cool guy I met through the PU room, love our calls and talking about one piece with you lol

2xTheTap - We only started talking pretty recently but you're great to talk to, unfort your timezone sucks tho :(

zS - We don't talk that often anymore but you're still a rly cool guy and talented player, keep joining tournaments and you'll get the results you're looking for soon enough

Akir - The person who got me to try PU in the first place, we don't talk that much but every time we do it brightens up my day

kjdaas - We haven't talked at all recently but you were the first friend I made on Smogon and I really appreciate our conversations back in the day, hope you're doing well!

I don't have the energy to shoutout out more people individually as some people I haven't known for that long or I just don't know them that well, shoutout to some other cool people in PU i've had the pleasure of interacting with: ShuckleDeath SpacialRendevous TJ Squash gum Ktütverde Chloe Bag of Trixx GeneralAnnoyance ManOfMany termi Urusius Procopius tlenit BulbaBrain @Roonie217 PTF Specs Xiri sry if you're not in the list, either I forgot to put you here or we've never rly talked

Also shoutout to the people outside of PU that I've gotten to know very faintly: Eseque SaDiSTiCNarwhal egalvanc London13 Jordy Ainzcrad Lilburr Collette Pannuracotta Waves SBPC you're all cool too

Thanks for reading!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)