SS LC All My Homies Hate Webs: The Spritzee Edition

DC

Kpop Main, No Brain
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

:ss/Dewpider: :ss/Spritzee: :ss/Mienfoo: :ss/Mudbray: :ss/Pawniard: :ss/Vullaby:
[Overview]
Hello peeps, DC here. I am bringing you another one of my terrible and aesthetically unpleasing new creations! Sticky Web offense, better known as Webs, has always been a target for hate in the LC community and its players. It is often seen as an attempt to match-up fish and admittedly, it pretty much is, punishing players and teams that fail to properly manage their hazard control. However, that fact also allows room for testing and experimentation to see what type of measures can be employed to exploit weaknesses in teambuilding. This build take a more unorthodox approach to the traditional Webs archetype and falls under the category of "Semi-Webs" or "Bulky Webs".

[Teambuilding Process]
:Dewpider: :Spritzee:
Every Webs team is not completed without its primary setter in Dewpider (unless you are using Grubbin LUL). I wanted to pair Webs with Spritzee, a Pokemon that has been touted as "bad" in the current metagame. Offensive Spritzee has the potential to demolish teams if it has the opportunity to set up, taking advantages of common cores that revolved around Mienfoo, Vullaby, and a slow Fighting-resist (usually Foongus or Mareanie).
:Dewpider: :Spritzee: :Mienfoo: :Mudbray:
The team needed a partner that can wreak havoc upon Spritzee's checks. Swords Dance Mienfoo handles the pesky Steel-types, mainly Ferroseed, that can prevent Spritzee from sweeping, while serving as an additional win-con. Next, Mudbray provides the team with several role compression: Stealth Rock setter, physical attacker check, etc. that makes it a valuable additional to the team.
:Dewpider: :Spritzee: :Mienfoo: :Mudbray: :Pawniard: :Vullaby:
Pawniard and Vullaby serve as the glue mons that keep the team from collapsing. Pawniard provides a Defog deterrent, a priority user, and a soft check to opposing Vullaby and Pawniard in one. Vullaby serves as the team's answer to troublesome foes such as Grookey, Wingull, and Abra.

[The Actual Team]
:ss/Dewpider:
Dewpider @ Berry Juice
Ability: Water Bubble
Level: 5
EVs: 52 HP / 20 Def / 196 SpA / 20 SpD / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Surf
- Icy Wind
- Protect​

Dewpider is the engine of the team, the Pokemon that enables the whole Webs archetype to function. Its ability to consistently set up Sticky Web is appreciated by the whole team. Water Bubble-boosted Surf hits like a truck, making it difficult for hazard control like Vullaby and Timburr to directly switch in and clear hazards, while whittling away at Grass-types like Foongus and Ferroseed. Icy Wind provides another source of Speed control, helping to slow down foes like Vullaby, Wingull, and Staryu and letting Dewpider outspeed them to hit them with Surf. Protect is my favored 4th move, allowing Dewpider to scout for Choice users and decreasing both weather and Grassy terrain turns.

:ss/Spritzee:

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Draining Kiss​

Nasty Plot Spritzee is the centerpiece of the team and one of the most fearsome offensive threats under Webs, posing good matchups against common staples like Mienfoo, Vullaby, and Scraggy. There are very weak Fairy-resists in the tier, outside of Ferroseed, which makes Moonblast extremely threatening. Maximum Special Attack investment ensures that +2 Moonblast will OHKO standard Pawniard after Stealth Rock damage. Psychic provides coverage for Poison-types that can handle Moonblast like Foongus and Mareanie. Draining Kiss provides Spritzee with recovery and helps it shrug off weak priority hits like Fake Out from Mienfoo.

:ss/Mienfoo:
Mienfoo @ Berry Juice
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Substitute​

Swords Dance Mienfoo complements Nasty Plot Spritzee, especially on Webs. It handles pesky Steel-types like Ferroseed and Pawniard and provides the team with a secondary win-con. Outside of Webs, it reaches 17 Speed with the EV spread provided, letting it outspeed Pawniard and Vullaby to hit them with a devastating HJK. Acrobatics complements HJK's coverage and provides a strong neutral hit against Mareanie and Spritzee while bonking Foongus. Substitute can help Mienfoo set up a Swords Dance and proc Berry Juice, helping empower its Acrobatics.

:ss/Mudbray:
Mudbray @ Eviolite
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 116 Def / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Rock Slide​

Mudbray provides a lot for the team. It serves as a Stealth Rock setter, a soft check to threatening foes like Vullaby, Mienfoo, and Onix, and an electric-immunity to disrupt Volt Switch from Magnemite. Heavy Slam provides a strong neutral hit against opposing foes and can be useful to hit Ground-resists like Grookey and Vullaby that can potentially switch into EQ. Rock Slide OHKOs Vullaby after a Weak Armor drop and is useful for hitting Wingull that tries to switch into a predicted EQ. EVs are quite simple: maximizes attack, reaches 13 Speed to outpace slow Mienfoo and Mareanie, and the remainder put into HP and Defense to beef up its physical bulk.

:ss/Pawniard:
Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Low Sweep​

The first of the glue mon, Pawniard provides the team with another check to Vullaby and a priority user (also a Grass-resist). Knock Off softens up the opposing defensive core, weakening walls like Ferroseed for Spritzee and Foongus & Mareanie for Mienfoo. Iron Head provides a strong complementary STAB to hit Knock Off switch-ins like Spritzee and Onix. Sucker Punch is necessary on this team to combat its low Speed outside of webs and deals with problematic Pokemon like Wingull and Abra. Low Sweep is a cool tech, always OHKOing opposing Pawniards after Stealth Rock and can come in handy to slow down fast Mienfoo, non-Weak Armor variants of Onix, and other Pokemon like Staryu that try to switch into Pawniard.

:ss/Vullaby:
Vullaby (F) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 156 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Serious Nature
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Heat Wave​

No LC team is completed without the broken bird. Vullaby is here to make sure that I dont lose to Grookey spamming Grassy Glide. Plus, it never hurts to have a Ground-immunity and another Knock user. Heat Wave is specifically for Pawniard and Ferroseed. The EVs are slightly different, forgoing a pt in Attack for a pt in Special Defense to help take hits from Wingull and Focus Sash Abra better. A Serious nature makes it so that Heat Wave damage is not reduced, unlike an Adamant nature. Overcoat helps the team have a counter to Spore from Foongus.

[Threat List]
:Grookey: - All my homies hate the monkey. As you can see the team has very weak counterplay to Grookey, especially Life Orb variants that hit hard. Pawniard isn't a reliable resist cuz it gets bopped by Drain Punch or get outplayed by Grassy Glide vs Sucker Punch mindgames. The best counter measure is to keep Vullaby healthy so that it can't sweep you.

:Wingull: - The seagull is also a bad threat to this team, ignoring Webs. Scald + Hurricane is unwallable, especially if Wingull gets up a sub. However, Hurricane misses alot and you have two specially defensive stoppers in Pawniard and Vullaby to play around it.

:Magnemite: - If you don't have Webs up, predicting between Tbolt/Volt Switch and Flash Cannon can be pretty difficult. Its way easier to manage with webs up.

[Importable]
All My Homies Hate This Team

[Shoutouts]
All my teammates in team tours (Team 2018, Scrubs, Radios, Pay Day Persians, Verdanturf Roselias, ROA Olympics West)
LC Discord (Emojicatcher :blobuwu: )
C&C (You all rock!)
Everyone who I interacted with and don't fall under these categories.

Hope you enjoyed the team! Feel free to leave any feedbacks or suggestions you may have!

Last edited:

risi

miao
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hi, sorry I'm super late here! Love the team, I tested it and ended up using it for round 3 of lc open against Meta, with a few changes.

:ss/Dewpider:
For Dewpider, I think the eviolite or focus sashed set is more reliable for setting webs. Focus Sash is great for consistently setting webs against everything but rock blast Onix, and the eviolite set with 14 defense and 21 hp allows you to survive a Brave Bird from 15 attack Vullaby, and 3 hit Rock Blast from Onix.

:ss/Vullaby:
I ran Weak Armor Nasty Plot Vullaby over your more defensive Overcoat set, because I felt that on a webs build a more offensive Vullaby set would be more useful. NP Vullaby is an excellent abuser of webs, because with webs support you don't need to proc Weak Armor to sweep. It does take away your team's Spore absorber, however.

:ss/Grookey:
Grookey @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch

Kind of a major change, I swapped out Mudbray for Life Orb Grookey. Grookey helps to punish Rapid Spin Staryu, which is a big threat to webs teams. Drain Punch lets Grookey force awkward turns from steels such as Ferroseed and Pawniard, Ferroseed in particular hard walls Spritzee, and being able to put pressure on Ferroseed makes it easier to sweep endgame with Spritzee.

replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lc-1331207118-2g2stvwd25doeys37oy00drq1xfro17pw
Thanks for posting this team, it was fun to use and hopefully I didn't butcher it with my changes :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)