All Buffs and Nerfs in Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

With Scizor losing access to Roost, unless there is another recovery move it can get (which I doubt) the only way this retains viability is through its role as an attacker. Swords Dance sets with three moves or even the Choice Band/Choice Scarf sets will return. Though losing the option to roost will impact how it is played.

I guess H-Typhlosion gets eruption, which is nice, but probably won't do much for it. Though STAB Ghost and Fire is strong offensive coverage.

The amount of mons that get Spikes or other entry hazards is just stunning honestly. Getting three layers of spikes is gonna be easier with so many distributions. And of course, more Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes to boot. I imagine that Volcorona has to use Heavy Duty Boots now, along with Charizard, just to avoid dying all the time.

Groudon may have lost Heat Crash but it can still run bulky options, especially with Will o Wisp. Though how good this is remains to be seen.

Also, Rayquaza getting U-Turn. Yeah, that is a buff that it did not need but will 1000% abuse to the fullest.
iirc scizor gets morning sun

I think they'll continue with this system, unfortunately. The thing is, dummying out removed moves was not enough. There were three "clobber moves", namely Tail Glow, Psycho Boost and Heart Swap. What do these moves have in common:
a) They had no legal userbase in SwSh
b) There were a couple of mons that could obtain them legally through transferring.
c) They were not intended to be removed indefinitely from the series.
For some reason, prior to the Crown Tundra update, these moves were not clickable in battle, but they were not dummied out either. Turns out GF though they could avoid the burden of programming them in if they had no legal userbase. Lazy bastards.

Dummying out removed moves is only viable if the move is intended to be removed from all Pokemon indefitely, or if they were always super easy to obtain in the games they were available. Having the game encourage you to remove Psycho Boost from Pokemon XD Lugia just to learn that it is actually usable when Deoxys is patched in is the epitome of painful.

Then we had BDSP, which due to improper outsourcing probably lacked a gazilion of moves and was also rich on exploits (it also reintroduced a couple of moves to be more faithful. And Unown). Gamefreak obviously wants to do more outsourcing in the future, and doesn't want to educate themselves on how to outsource properly.

Not to mention that the system of checking battle readyness was beyond clunky.

Do I like this? Hell no! Pokemon should be able to retain their moves upon transferring. Any move that isn't meant to be removed from the series should be implemented, regardless if has a userbase. Mainline games from the same generation should be cross competible and have identical species and move libraries. And the proper way of handling battle readyness is to make the game compute if all Pokemon have legal movesets every time you actually enter a battle facility, and explicitly tell what moves are illegal if a Pokemon runs illegal moves.

And ideally, Dexit would be revoked and when a new generation rolls, all mainline games (not counting LA and LGPE) from gen8 and on get a competibility patch so that all newer Pokemon and moves can be used within older generations.
I don't really think so. Primarily because the case of Tail Glow, Psycho Boost and Heart Swap seems more like just an instance of inconsistencies rather than anything else. To me it feels impossible to really judge if are doing anything like this because of the inconstency in decisions.

Literally every recovery move that healed up to half health
Life Dew was already 10PP in swsh.
GF really had it out for the slowtwins huh? At least galarian slowking will still be OU, since it doesn't need teleport in the first place.

I can already see slowbro and slowking just dropping off a cliff viability wise though since teleport was such a key part to their kits. At least galarian-slowking only loses scald, which won't hurt it that much honestly unlike kantonian slowbro and slowking...
Slowbro has always had OU viability without teleport since gen5. It might not be as insane as gen8, but plenty viable. And Slowkings get a new pivot move anyway.

I'm not sure how good Rayquaza with U-turn will be tbh. It's really slow compared to most good ubers now, no longer has V-Create, doesn't hit that hard without band, can't feasibly run a defensive spread, and has a Stealth Rock weakness. Taking it alongside the other two good pivoters in the format means carrying *three* dragon types with nothing to mitigate their shared weaknesses, and you need a fourth one to get rid of rocks because Giratina is the only good defogger.
Ray... Does absolutely still hit hard without band. Dragon Ascent is still a nuke and it has many sets. Now including a possible rocks set for extra fun.

Of course band will be the go to because lol.
Transfer moves are impossible now. Movesets get reset upon transfer via home, they're keeping that change from BDSP which means we're gonna lose a lot of hazard removing options
Sigh... this has not been confirmed in any way by any reputable source.

Do we have a list of notable Pokemon who lost Defog in combination with Roost this gen? At the top of my head are Scizor and Hydreigon. Stall is deadx2 say hello hazards meta lol

RoiDadadou

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded.
is a Pre-Contributor
Do we have a list of notable Pokemon who lost Defog in combination with Roost this gen? At the top of my head are Scizor and Hydreigon. Stall is deadx2 say hello hazards meta lol
Check out the official leak doc in my signature, 'Pokémon Changes' part.

This isn't listed on the main page, but Articuno actually lost Mind Reader in favor of Haze, which hasn’t been available since Pokemon XD as a Special Move. I guess its technically buff since Haze is a lot more useful than Mind Reader, since the effect of the latter wears off if you switch, but it did lose the novelty of being one of three Pokemon with a Lock On Move + a OHKO Move, though that isn't relevant for competitive because OHKO moves are banned in Smogon, and VGC's Doubles make that strategy not possible due to double targeting and protect.

This isn't listed on the main page, but Articuno actually lost Mind Reader in favor of Haze, which hasn’t been available since Pokemon XD as a Special Move. I guess its technically buff since Haze is a lot more useful than Mind Reader, since the effect of the latter wears off if you switch, but it did lose the novelty of being one of three Pokemon with a Lock On Move + a OHKO Move, though that isn't relevant for competitive because OHKO moves are banned in Smogon, and VGC's Doubles make that strategy not possible due to double targeting and protect.
now we just need Metal Sound Zapdos to complete the set lol

Early meta will be exclusively HO.

Maybe we'll see two Pokemon using Recover in a match sometimes next year after all the broken stuff is banned, which from the leaks appears to be a lot.
Baby's first meta where you can't mash Recover into Regen spam and have to actually consider what hits you're taking

Sigh... this has not been confirmed in any way by any reputable source.
While no one would like this to be false more than me (I basically lost months and months of work getting some 25 boxes of mons ready for SV, came to the realization I definitely lost money on that BDSP travesty and suddenly lost all hype for Game Boy Online), all clues point to this being the case, most importantly the PLA and BDSP precedent and the ash greninja situation.

Also guys, I don't think you realize the MASSIVE impact losing universal toxic and widespread knock off will have in making the playstyle evolve in addition to nerfing it: Stall in my opinion isn't dead yet, it's just going to change. From a bunch of regenerating chippers with poisons and burns to DoT trappers, perish songers, slow double defense boosters, pressure stallers, phazers, maybe even a resurgence in sleep talkers

While no one would like this to be false more than me (I basically lost months and months of work getting some 25 boxes of mons ready for SV, came to the realization I definitely lost money on that BDSP travesty and suddenly lost all hype for Game Boy Online), all clues point to this being the case, most importantly the PLA and BDSP precedent and the ash greninja situation.
Let's see, PLA has a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT approach to moves than the MSG. Most moves are missing, and those around are reworked. Meanwhile, BDSP are buggy and have screwed up legality checkers (to say nothing of how complicated it was to get them to link to HOME).

It is a possibility, but, "all clues point to that being the case" is not on point, because the games where that was a thing were not usual games. And Centro being loud about it (so he can capitalize on it if it ends up being the case, and disregard it as if he never said anything if it isn't) is just an annoyance.

It doesn't, also probably never will because that's really just meant to be Aegislash signature move to do the whole stance dancing thing, so as much as I'd like it I doubt it's ever getting it anyway.

However, it did get Body Press, so there's that.
That didn't stop Entei from getting Sacred Fire. So getting Kings Shield just feels like a natural addition. It seems logical.

LR

Noticing that with the reduction in HP recovery moves, we will see a loss in defensive pivots. However, there are some things to consider.

Ways this isn't that unusual
In Gen 1, recovery was much less distributed and nobody had leftovers and that meta was able to still function.
In Gen 3, Skarmory (a defensive staple) did not have a recovery move (nor did Zapdos). So perhaps it isn't unreasonable that we see a reduction in the amount of recovery moves (or at least, fewer opportunities to use them.)
Rest Talk is a strategy that could come back as that does not seem to be one of the moves nerfed by the loss in PPs. (Gen 2 memories).
Cresselia, a massive defensive staple, managed to get by with just Moonlight.
Plenty of mons have Moonlight and Morning Sun and have had competitive success. Others have Life Dew. So perhaps this won't be the craziest change.

Ways this could be problematic
Since Generation 1, there has been massive power creep. We have moves with high base power, items that increase power and abilities that can increase power further. So hits that are dished out will stick around a lot more.
Skarmory had Blissey to back it up. If that does not have Wish, and only 8 Softboiled, then a classic core that has persisted for over a decade will not be pressured like nothing else.
Rest Talk, while a staple, can be abused and doesn't address the massive powerful assault that teams are now gonna be taking. Specs Greninja's Hydro Pump, Porygon Z's Tri Attack with Adaptability and Solar Power Charizard's Flamethrower boosted further by sun are just three examples of powerful attacks that teams are gonna have to be tasked with weathering (sometimes, literally). A resting Pokemon can't just absorb these blows.
Cresselia, a massive staple, got nerfed this generation, so it's applicability in this scenario is not the same.

People don't realize it yet, but as a whole a theme I am noticing is this. There is a massive influx of offensive power, from increased access to entry hazards, to increased damage output with more STABS granted by Terrastallization, access to powerful items that increase power output further, new additions to the Poke Dex as seen with every generation and a lack of a way to sponge hits with the nerf to recovery moves.

If getting up to three layers of spikes is more commonplace, along with other hazards, moves life roost and softboiled are going to be used quickly. I am hearing a lot of options for increased offensive additions, but not much when it comes to defensive additions. It's hard to allow for a Defogger to be an option when you can easily slot in several mons who can stack entry hazards. Again, even mons like Blissey struggle with entry hazards and if they run out of softboiled, well good luck.

Now, is there evidence of a new move being released that removes entry hazards?
Because if so, then maybe the loss of defoggers won't be a major issue as we have yet another way to mitigate the role of entry hazards.
So far, we have Rapid Spin and Defog. But a third (or fourth) move to clear entry hazards would be beneficial.

TL;DR Defense is less viable and offensive pressure is stronger than ever.

No I mean, there won't be any good Stall. I think you don't realize the full impact of the healing moves nerfes.
I do. I even talked about offensive pokemon with pressure, like Weavile, who can eat away the recover PPs. We had the berries nerf last gen, and the Healing moves nerf in this gen, in gen 10 GF might even nerf Regenerator lol. Feels like they are forcing VGC to be the main format, by making the available pokémon more offense-oriented.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)