Resource AG Viability Rankings

cromagnet

I pledge allegiance to the grind
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

(gorgeous art by Albinson)

Welcome to the official SS AG Viability Rankings thread. In this thread, we as a community will be ranking every single usable Pokemon into "tiers." You're encouraged to post your thoughts and opinions on the various Pokemon that are usable in AG and what tier they should fall under. Posts in this thread will be taken into account when deciding rank changes.

The general idea of the topic is to rank each AG Pokemon under "rankings" that go in descending order. Since this is a tier list for the entire metagame, everything is lumped together. There won't be any segregation between offense, defense, and supportive presences in the metagame within this thread. For example, Ho-Oh can be ranked in the A+ tier as a supportive presence, Xerneas can be ranked in the A+ tier as an offensive presence, and Necrozma-DM can be ranked in the A+ tier as a defensive presence.

Finally, there will be a council of experienced players who will discuss and vote on the ranking of Pokemon. Depending on how the metagame is developing, we could update the thread every couple of weeks or every month+. Please note that your posts still very much matter and will be factored into what we discuss and the discussions themselves. This thread is nothing without the posters and every informed opinion that is shared is considered a valuable contribution, so do not hesitate to post if you know the metagame well and understand the forum rules. The council will consist of the following users:

SS AG Ranking Tier List

In alphabetical order

S Rank

S+

Calyrex-S
Yveltal

S

Eternatus
Kyogre
Necrozma-DM
Zacian-C
Zygarde-C

A Rank

A+

Ditto
Groudon
Xerneas

A

Ferrothorn
Gothitelle
Ho-Oh
Marshadow

A-

Lunala
Zekrom

B Rank

B+

Blissey
1612456944677.png
Landorus-T

1623041662690.png
Slurpuff

B

Dracovish
1623041646993.png
Giratina-Origin
Tyranitar

B-

Calyrex-I
Excadrill
Grimmsnarl
Mewtwo

C Rank

C+

Butterfree
Kyurem-W
Rayquaza
Shuckle
1617875369296.png
Urshifu
1617875425161.png
Zacian

C

1617876285952.png
Chansey
1630294972113.png
Cloyster
1617875467528.png
Darmanitan-Galar
Giratina
Quagsire
Regieleki

C-

1617875601491.png
Kyurem-B
1623041625260.png
Pheromosa
Shedinja
Toxapex

D Rank

D

Dialga
Dugtrio
1623041607947.png
Galvantula
Heatran
1630294945189.png
Lycanroc
Magearna
Palkia
1617875513082.png
Porygon2
Reshiram
Skarmory
Tapu Fini

Rules
    • Post intelligently. Posts like "I think Pokemon X should be in this tier" will be deleted. Expand on your opinion with actual analysis showing understanding of the metagame and perhaps bringing a unique perspective to the conversation.
    • Absolutely no flaming, personal attacks, or general idiocy will be tolerated. Part of this is under moderator discretion and please know that posting in this thread is a privilege, not a right. You'll get warned initially if it is not something overly malicious, but harsher punishments can and will come with repeated behavior or severe offenses.
    • Usage statistics may be used to support an argument or a claim, but don't base your ENTIRE argument around them. There needs to be more substance than just this. For example, you can't just say "Pokemon X shouldn't be this tier because they aren't used that often!"
    • When nominating a Pokemon to move from one rank to another, do not merely list its obvious qualities such as stats, typing, movepool, etc. If you think a Pokemon deserves to rise or drop, explain what has changed in the meta to cause such Pokemon to get better or worse. I can assure you that the VR Council already knows the obvious qualities and we are far more interested in understanding why you believe it has increased or decreased in viability.
    • Unrelated discussion and unproductive one liners that do not greatly contribute to discussion will be deleted. If this becomes a recurring issue for any particular user, then it could lead to an infraction. If you are unsure where to post something, feel free to start a conversation with a forum moderator here or on discord. Moreover, if you have a general question, then odds are it belongs in the SQSA thread, not here.
    • Being AG or Ubers by tiering alone does not guarantee a ranking. We touched on usage not being the sole reason behind viability of anything before, but this is very true here as a lot of things accumulate ladder usage despite not being the best option. Do not mistake the correlation between usage and viability as stronger than it actually is. If you have any further questions about this, please start a conversation with me or any other council member on here or on discord instead of posting it in this thread.
    • If you are nominating a Pokemon to be ranked (meaning it was previously unranked), then you need to provide replays of it being used in the metagame and you also should go out of your way to be as thorough as possible in explaining why it has a niche in the metagame -- a vast majority of nominations have been of poor quality historically and we reserve the right to revoke nomination privileges from thread posters at any point in time. If you are in doubt, then feel free to start a conversation with me or any other council member on here or on discord prior to nominating a Pokemon and we will give you honest feedback on the post.
    • Failure to follow these rules after warning(s) will result in an infraction.
Format credits go to Finchinator

Attachments

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
Final note:

Please keep in mind that there’s only so much the moderation team and myself can handle; we are all sustaining the quality of our subforum on a volunteer basis. I appeal, once more, to your understanding and respect for this, by making a very simple request: give the rules a careful read and try your best to adhere to them.

Having said that, I am very much looking forward to reading productive discussion in this thread throughout the remainder of the generation. Post away!

:gastrodon: to C/D
Gastrodon is just bad.
It counters ogre. That's it. It does utter garbage against most other stuff. Even quagsire can be used to check runaway sweepers like DD ndm as well as ZaCian

It definitely isn't better than dialga and shedinja

Fardin

Tournament Banned
:gastrodon: to C/D
Gastrodon is just bad.
It counters ogre. That's it. It does utter garbage against most other stuff. Even quagsire can be used to check runaway sweepers like DD ndm as well as ZaCian

It definitely isn't better than dialga and shedinja
Being one of the only(probably the best)reliable oger check with a consistent recovery is a pretty huge niche along with the overall bulk it comes with which allows it to wall all toxic less ete, forcing xern to dyna even after geo, stopping offensive palkias and etc.

It's reliable recovery is what puts it above palkia and dialga as an oger check and unlike shed, it's not useless whenever u see a ttar from preview or like 90% of the mons / sets in the meta that just kill it (ergo it's much more splashable) . + the lack of type weakness just makes it an overall solid sponge vs special attackers in a current meta where ur forced to rely on super effective attacks to get anything done on the special attack side (unless ur caly or oger)

I would personally rate it higher but we haven't seen enough yet to really justify

:Regieleki: -> C

Regieleki is, with little doubt, better than D. It's got 2 viable sets atm and surprisingly fits multiple roles despite its horrid-looking movepool. Both sets take advantage of its ridiculous speed.

Eterrain sweeper:
Regieleki @ Choice Specs/Life Orb
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Cage/Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Rising Voltage
- Rapid Spin/Hyper Beam/Ancient Power

Paired with Tapu Koko, Regieleki is a surprisingly capable sweeper. Its ridiculous speed means that common scarfers like kyogre can't revenge it. Base 100 spA isn't much, but when you add STAB, Transistor, Specs, Terrain, and the Rising Voltage boost, Regieleki manages to either ohko or 2hko anything that isn't a ground type. The rest of eleki's moves add utility - tbolt/tcage outside of terrain, volt switch to pivot, rapid spin to clear hazards in a pinch, hyper beam to chunk an unassuming zyg/don, etc.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Regieleki Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Groudon: 245-289 (60.6 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Regieleki Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Zygarde: 233-275 (55.4 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Transistor Regieleki Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Necrozma-Dusk-Mane in Electric Terrain: 415-489 (104.2 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Transistor Regieleki Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyogre in Electric Terrain: 914-1076 (268 - 315.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Transistor Regieleki Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Yveltal in Electric Terrain: 890-1050 (195.6 - 230.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Transistor Regieleki Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey in Electric Terrain: 357-420 (50 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Transistor Regieleki Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Ho-Oh in Electric Terrain: 810-954 (194.7 - 229.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Transistor Regieleki Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eternatus in Electric Terrain: 318-375 (65.7 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Screens Lead:
Regieleki @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Cage
- Rapid Spin
- Light Screen
- Reflect

This one's pretty self-explanatory. Eleki's the fastest screens lead in the game by far, and even has access to rapid spin to deal with opposing leads. Thunder Cage is the attacking move of choice due to its trapping effect, preventing mons opposing mons from setting and then attempting to swap into a spinblocker. It also seriously discourages the top two foggers, ho-oh and yveltal.

Edit:
Game from kickoff tour where chloe's regieleki ohkoed 3 mons
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8anythinggoes-1217558224-ikodf472b0b7w808xdsvnf2guox0i6cpw

Game from kickoff tour where lotiasite's regieleki+koko+kyogre offense trio won despite zygarde existing
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8anythinggoes-1216323623-uxxrxde9beui4d9t1eyl3jtiuxsmtvkpw

Last edited:
we did it boys. Ttar is finally in A- rank, which it obviously completely deserves.
On a more serious note, I think groudon should be nommed for A+. Its physdef set checks many insanely dangerous sweepers, such as SD excadrill (removes its sand too), dd zekrom and also bulk up mar shadow. However, it is much much more than a defensive wall. Its SD set is one of the most feared sweepers in the game, grabbing a sd on common defensive walls such as ndm, ttar, and Blissey, which all have to run in fear of its insanely powerful precipice blades. Unlike its primal counterpart in ndag, this thing is capable of OHKOing undynamaxed physdef zygarde after a sd boost, which makes it even more deadly. Combined with the fact that its actually quite bulky, it is capable of ridiculous feats such as setting up sd on Zacian crowned (if used on webs) and mowing through teams easily.

Geysers

not round
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
got a few misc noms here since D rank feels super bloated.
:naganadel: --> UR
Has anyone really actually used this? It feels strictly inferior to etern as a dragon-poison, it can't get any opportunities to set up, and what was once an amazing speed tier is now not that great. I feel like this thing is outclassed by so many different np sweepers, and it's just an overall not-very-useful mon.
:diancie: --> UR
Just because this checks Yveltal doesn't mean t should be on the VR. Tyranitar is just a strict upgrade over this, doing the same things while also beating Calyrex-S, which Diancie just folds to. Diancie's only possible remaining niche, as a cleric, just isn't all that useful right now since every team has like 3 status absorbs or just doesn't care at all.
:mew: --> UR
I have seen a grand total of zero uses of this thing outside of low ladder. What is it even supposed to do? A Spikes lead looks nice until you realize that 3/4 of the meta either has HDB or just doesn't give a shit. Additionally, Mew's frankly bad speed tier and 4MSS leaves it total setup fodder for Calyrex-S, a trait that you do not want in a suicide lead. Excadrill is almost strictly a better suicide lead, since it can actually stop the opponent from setting hazards or setting up, while also not being utterly passive.
:aerodactyl: --> UR
Similarly to Mew, Aerodactyl is just strictly outclassed by Excadrill as a suicide lead. There's no reason I'd use it when Exca is an option. I feel much more strongly about this nom than I do about the Mew one, simply because it doesn't even get spikes.

Also!
:ss/lunala: --> B+
I like this mon. I really do. I just find it incredibly difficult to find room for it on any of my teams simply because it's such a huge liability against Calyrex-S. Offensive sets are absolutely terrible because of all the Yveltals and Tyranitars running around, while defensive sets hate that sand will likely be up from TTar and they just straight up lose to Calyrex-S, losing a shitton of momentum every time it comes in. I could see this going a lot lower, but B+ seems like a decent spot for it for the moment.

Last edited:
A few things:
:Palkia: --> B+
I have almost never seen Palkia in Gen 8 AG. And when I do it usually dies in a turn or two. This thing is just plain out garbage. I have no idea why people use it but just don't. I mean this thing just basically dies to everything.
:Zacian-Crowned: +1 252 Atk Zacian-Crowned Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Palkia: 600-708 (186.9 - 220.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
:Zygarde: 216+ Atk Zygarde Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Palkia: 390-458 (121.4 - 142.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
:Regieleki: 252+ SpA Transistor Regieleki Thunder Cage vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Palkia: 153-181 (47.6 - 56.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage
:Yveltal: 252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Palkia: 214-253 (66.6 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Just please lower it. It is not good and I have almost never seen it in gen 8 ag and I have played a lot of games.

:Regieleki: --> B-
Now Regieleki is actually really good. I have found it useful and can actually take out a few mons. I use if for screens and that just really helps out my team. This is the set I use:
Regieleki @ Light Clay
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder Cage
- Reflect
- Rapid Spin
- Light Screen
:Kyogre: 252+ SpA Transistor Regieleki Thunder Cage vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kyogre: 270-318 (79.1 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage

:Yveltal: 252+ SpA Transistor Regieleki Thunder Cage vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Yveltal: 408-480 (103.8 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:Ho-Oh: 252+ SpA Transistor Regieleki Thunder Cage vs. 104 HP / 0 SpD Ho-Oh: 248-294 (65.4 - 77.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage

:Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 252+ SpA Transistor Regieleki Thunder Cage vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 166-196 (41.7 - 49.2%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after trapping damage

:Calyrex-Shadow: 252+ SpA Transistor Regieleki Thunder Cage vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Calyrex-Shadow: 180-213 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage

So as you can see the calcs are rlly good and this set is great for screens. I know if someone puts out a zygarde or a garchomp or maybe Caylrex-S your gonna die but you probably won't die in one turn if you use your screens:
:zygarde: 216+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Regieleki through Reflect: 228-268 (75.4 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:Garchomp: 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Regieleki through Reflect: 283-334 (93.7 - 110.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

:Calyrex-Shadow: 252 SpA Calyrex-Shadow Astral Barrage vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Regieleki through Light Screen: 203-239 (67.2 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So as you can see those calc are pretty good and you can manage to set up both reflect and light screen to help your team. So in total Regieleki is just really good and should be higher on the ranking.

:zacian-crowned: --> S-
Honestly, this thing is just really strong. I mean it can destroy zygarde, yvelta, and even itself. This thing is just really good. I really think it should be higher and I really hope it does go higher because this thing is just super strong.

But the one that I want to be higher on the rankings is Regieleki. Please let it go up on the rankings to B- and if not that then C. Just please raise it because it is really good.
1606349321021.png

Last edited:
A few things:
I have almost never seen Palkia in Gen 8 AG. And when I do it usually dies in a turn or two. This thing is just plain out garbage. I have no idea why people use it but just don't. I mean this thing just basically dies to everything.
:Zacian-Crowned: +1 252 Atk Zacian-Crowned Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Palkia: 600-708 (186.9 - 220.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
:Zygarde: 216+ Atk Zygarde Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Palkia: 390-458 (121.4 - 142.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
:Regieleki: 252+ SpA Transistor Regieleki Thunder Cage vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Palkia: 153-181 (47.6 - 56.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage
:Yveltal: 252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Palkia: 214-253 (66.6 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Just please lower it. It is not good and I have almost never seen it in gen 8 ag and I have played a lot of games.

Now Regieleki is actually really good. I have found it useful and can actually take out a few mons. I use if for screens and that just really helps out my team. This is the set I use:
Regieleki @ Light Clay
Modest Nature
- Thunder Cage
- Reflect
- Rapid Spin
- Light Screen
:Kyogre: 252+ SpA Transistor Regieleki Thunder Cage vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kyogre: 270-318 (79.1 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage

:Yveltal: 252+ SpA Transistor Regieleki Thunder Cage vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Yveltal: 408-480 (103.8 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:Ho-Oh: 252+ SpA Transistor Regieleki Thunder Cage vs. 104 HP / 0 SpD Ho-Oh: 248-294 (65.4 - 77.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage

:Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 252+ SpA Transistor Regieleki Thunder Cage vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 166-196 (41.7 - 49.2%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after trapping damage

:Calyrex-Shadow: 252+ SpA Transistor Regieleki Thunder Cage vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Calyrex-Shadow: 180-213 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage

So as you can see the calcs are rlly good and this set is great for screens. I know if someone puts out a zygarde or a garchomp or maybe Caylrex-S your gonna die but you probably won't die in one turn if you use your screens:
:zygarde: 216+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Regieleki through Reflect: 228-268 (75.4 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:Garchomp: 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Regieleki through Reflect: 283-334 (93.7 - 110.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

:Calyrex-Shadow: 252 SpA Calyrex-Shadow Astral Barrage vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Regieleki through Light Screen: 203-239 (67.2 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So as you can see those calc are pretty good and you can manage to set up both reflect and light screen to help your team. So in total Regieleki is just really good and should be higher on the ranking.

Honestly, this thing is just really strong. I mean it can destroy zygarde, yvelta, and even itself. This thing is just really good. I really think it should be higher and I really hope it does go higher because this thing is just super strong.

But the one that I want to be higher on the rankings is Regieleki. Please let it go up on the rankings to B- and if not that then C. Just please raise it because it is really good.
View attachment 294431
uh Regieleki is hard walled by every ground type and can only set up screens in front of them while zygarde substitutes and adds and groudon sets up swords dances in its face. This heavily impedes its viability in the AG metagame

A few things:

Regieleki @ Light Clay
Modest Nature
- Thunder Cage
- Reflect
- Rapid Spin
- Light Screen

View attachment 294431
U r saying that palkia is trash, which doesnt make much sense
It got a good typing, resists behemoth, can thunder yveltal, has a 150 spa

and in those calc,zygarde outrage is pretty rare and counting for 2hko by regieleki, regieleki is very frail and might be prolly knocked out by a stab boost spacial rend, and yveltal would definitely take big from thunder

And saying that zacian deserves s- is 50-50.
It was Top tier in pre dlc2, because it basically outspeeded everything, and was just stopped by ditto or ndm, in the post dlc meta, caly outspeeds it, and regieleki does big with its electric moves, also, because of calyrex spectrier, ditto usage has gone up than what it was, so zacian now went one tier low

saying eleki, it is a good anti rocks and screens lead, but the offense set isnt that viable
( yveltal sucker punch does some 90 to eleki, it is so frail)
See some of these calc

4 Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regieleki: 286-337 (95 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Technician Marshadow Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regieleki: 216-255 (71.7 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

and this mon also struggles against ground types, like zygarde( completely walls regieleki) ,groudon
Letting them setup sweep u, and usually in this meta, most mons use max airstream to raise thier speed, so they usually ohko eleki.

A few things:
:Yveltal: 252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura (Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Palkia: 214-253 (66.6 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Regieleki @ Light Clay
Modest Nature
- Thunder Cage
- Reflect
- Rapid Spin
- Light Screen

View attachment 294431
I'm gonna be honest here. This is a really awful take on things.
First off, Play Rough ZaCian isn't even that common. I have not once seen an outrage zygarde being used by a good player. Regieleki is walled by every viable ground type and the 2 main ones just setup in its face. Grimmsnarl is a generally superior screens setter due to taunt + spirit break and actual defensive utility since it quad resists Dark Stab and resists Ghost.

uh Regieleki is hard walled by every ground type and can only set up screens in front of them while zygarde substitutes and adds and groudon sets up swords dances in its face. This heavily impedes its viability in the AG metagame
Yes but most people don't use substitute, they usually use thousand arrows and if you use reflect then you will survive. Also if groundon uses sd then you can use reflect and then light screen to help your team so if your Regieleki faints you would have actually done something useful with it.
U r saying that palkia is trash, which doesnt make much sense
It got a good typing, resists behemoth, can thunder yveltal, has a 150 spa

and in those calc,zygarde outrage is pretty rare and counting for 2hko by regieleki, regieleki is very frail and might be prolly knocked out by a stab boost spacial rend, and yveltal would definitely take big from thunder

And saying that zacian deserves s- is 50-50.
It was Top tier in pre dlc2, because it basically outspeeded everything, and was just stopped by ditto or ndm, in the post dlc meta, caly outspeeds it, and regieleki does big with its electric moves, also, because of calyrex spectrier, ditto usage has gone up than what it was, so zacian now went one tier low

saying eleki, it is a good anti rocks and screens lead, but the offense set isnt that viable
( yveltal sucker punch does some 90 to eleki, it is so frail)
See some of these calc

4 Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regieleki: 286-337 (95 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Technician Marshadow Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regieleki: 216-255 (71.7 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

and this mon also struggles against ground types, like zygarde( completely walls regieleki) ,groudon
Letting them setup sweep u, and usually in this meta, most mons use max airstream to raise thier speed, so they usually ohko eleki.
Also usually I would use reflect and light screen against yveltal meaning that it wouldn't be able to kill you with sucker punch. Also, most mons can not kill regieleki with max airstream because it is resistant and you will be faster than them meaning that you can use whatever screen will amek the attack weaker meaning that you will survive. Also I understand what you were saying about outrage sorry that was my own set but even thousand arrows or dragon tail won't kill regieleki.

Yes but most people don't use substitute, they usually use thousand arrows and if you use reflect then you will survive. Also if groundon uses sd then you can use reflect and then light screen to help your team so if your Regieleki faints you would have actually done something useful with it.

Also usually I would use reflect and light screen against yveltal meaning that it wouldn't be able to kill you with sucker punch. Also, most mons can not kill regieleki with max airstream because it is resistant and you will be faster than them meaning that you can use whatever screen will amek the attack weaker meaning that you will survive. Also I understand what you were saying about outrage sorry that was my own set but even thousand arrows or dragon tail won't kill regieleki.
I don't even need to play the metagame to refute your arguments.

Have you even fought a dd zygarde? the #1 thing that is so evil about it is its access to substitute, which not only protects it from status but also lets it proactively and often safely Power Construct. Usage stats say it is used 50% of the time in high ladder.

Now, before you tell me that I misread your post and you meant they're simply going for tarrows instead of sub, I will instead assert that there is no good reason for them to tarrows regieleki or otherwise KO it. Why kill the thing that you can easily set up on? Regi has exactly 0 things that threaten Zygarde. 0. There is absolutely nothing stopping zygarde from clicking sub, followed by dd. While you waste your time setting screens, Zygarde is setting up dds. It will get a sub+dd up if you stay in, expecting for them to KO you. As soon as Zygarde gets +1 and is behind a sub, the game is all but over. If it has glare, it can glare whatever mon you send in next, crippling them. If it has dtail, good luck getting rid of it. Neither regieleki nor screens will stop Zygarde from doing what it wants. If you want to dynamax a mon to stop zygarde, well, it can just sub over and over until you are done, in the process activating power construct. If it has glare, your dmax mon will be paralyzed, and a paralyzed Yveltal is a crippled Yveltal.

Basically, I'm saying your entire premise is flawed. Regieleki is worse than useless in dd+sub zygarde matchups; it's setup fodder.

Edit in, now u see this , and feel that regi can be a new deoxys type lead, with screens, but the problem is that it can't set up srocks or spikes, can't taunt for setup sweepers, and can not damage zygarde much, it shuld work fine as a screens lead, but it is really really frail

Another regi set that works is rising voltage, but once u see a zygarde, forfeit. At avg, iirc, 20-25% teams (at the least) have a ground mon, and eternatus is even more prevalent, in that case, u have to play really skillfully, to pull off against a zygarde which ohko 2 of ur mons

Viability ranking ahuld remain at D , coz despite being a good screens lead, rapid spinner, terrain sweeper, it can do nothing against zygarde or groudon or spd etern , so prolly at the moment D is correct for it

Edit in, now u see this , and feel that regi can be a new deoxys type lead, with screens, but the problem is that it can't set up srocks or spikes, can't taunt for setup sweepers, and can not damage zygarde much, it shuld work fine as a screens lead, but it is really really frail

Another regi set that works is rising voltage, but once u see a zygarde, forfeit. At avg, iirc, 20-25% teams (at the least) have a ground mon, and eternatus is even more prevalent, in that case, u have to play really skillfully, to pull off against a zygarde which ohko 2 of ur mons

Viability ranking ahuld remain at D , coz despite being a good screens lead, rapid spinner, terrain sweeper, it can do nothing against zygarde or groudon or spd etern , so prolly at the moment D is correct for it
eh I'd say I could see it rise up to C, due to specs rising voltage 2hkoing spdef etern in terrain. and against zygarde a good check like roar defensive xern will do, however the massive weakness to groudon is not something you would want.

:Umbreon: -> D

Ah, my nom from the last gen... it's saddening to me, but umbreon really can't justify itself as C tier.

On paper, it seems like a decent answer to the top two special attacking threats in the metagame, Yveltal and Calyrex-S. However, it's just too unreliable in this role. Ttar and spD yveltal do the job better, and also happen to be among the many pokemon who can often set up on umbreon - yveltal with sub/taunt/honeclaws, for example, and ttar by getting a free chance to set up rocks or rest off status.

That being said, I'm not pushing for unranked because, as with last gen, I do believe there is a niche for umbreon. Unlike yveltal and ttar, umbreon has access to cleric support - wish and heal bell, as well as what I believe to be a highly underrated move in yawn that lets umbreon effectively phase. It also has access to baton pass, letting it serve the role of a slow pivot.

Thus, while umbreon is undoubtedly worse than ttar and yveltal most of the time, it's got enough of a niche to fall only to D tier.

Example set:
Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell
- Yawn
252 SpA Life Orb Calyrex-Shadow Astral Barrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 91-108 (23 - 27.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Calyrex-Shadow Draining Kiss vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 101-122 (25.6 - 30.9%) -- 7.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Calyrex-Shadow Max Starfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 205-242 (52 - 61.4%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Yveltal Oblivion Wing vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 103-122 (26.1 - 30.9%) -- 7.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Yveltal Max Airstream vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 168-199 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Yveltal Max Airstream vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 168-199 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- 36.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Yveltal Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon: 158-190 (40.1 - 48.2%) -- approx. 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Eternatus Dynamax Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 138-164 (35 - 41.6%) -- 74.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Palkia Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 156-185 (39.5 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Necrozma-Dusk-Mane Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon: 172-204 (43.6 - 51.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
~Update 1

RISES

:zacian-crowned: A+ to S-
:ferrothorn: A- to A
:shuckle: C to B
:calyrex-ice: D to B-

:ss/zacian-crowned:
Although it took a relative backseat in the initial stages of the metagame, Zacian-C has established itself as a premier wallbreaker once again. The standard 4-Attacks Assurance variant faces no splashable counterplay in the overmajority of current builds; non-Heavy-Duty Boots Necrozma-DM is cleanly 2HKOed by entry hazard > Assurance > Close Combat. With the metagame evolving into bulky balances that often incorporate Pokemon such as bulky Yveltal, Ferrothorn, and Eternatus, Zacian-C faces no lack of wallbreaking opportunities either, making it all the more threatening. On top of all, the defensive qualities Zacian-C offers as a hard-check to Pokemon such as Yveltal, Xerneas, and Eternatus is enormously valuable as well.

:ss/ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn is progressively finding itself on teams. Being capable of checking the ever-dangerous Calm Mind + Rest Kyogre and Geomancy Xerneas, taking advantage of the ubiquitous Necrozma-DM, on top of offering Spikes support, is a phenomenal package that has proven to be greatly synergistic with other balance-staples in Necrozma-DM, Yveltal, and bulky Zacian-C to name a few. Moreover, bulky Yveltal overtaking Ho-Oh as the Defogger on more and more builds adds up to Ferrothorn's overall progress-making potential.

:ss/shuckle:
Sticky Web has cemented itself as the most potent hyper offensive playstyle in the metagame. It's not hard to see why; Ditto is relatively uncommon, and there is a surplus of potent wallbreakers that greatly appreciate the drop in Speed, such as Choice Specs Kyogre, Yveltal, and Dragon Dance Necrozma-DM, Zekrom, and Reshiram. Shuckle is the most viable setter and is therefore met with a rise.

:ss/calyrex-ice:
Calyrex-I is a very support-demanding, yet respectable wallbreaker. With Glacial Lance + High Horsepower hitting nearly the entire metagame for neutral damage already, it is able to afford a certain degree of flexibility with its remaining slots, with Swords Dance, Substitute, Leech Seed, Agility / Trick Room, and Iron Defense all serving niches. This depth allows Calyrex-I to mess with many defensive staples in current structures. Add its humongous Attack, good bulk, and great ability into the mixture, and you have a Pokemon that is more than capable of spiraling out of control, given the right opportunity and support; a perfect description for a Pokemon in the B-ranks.

DROPS

:ho-oh: A+ to A
:ditto: A to B+
:lunala: A- to B+
:gothitelle: B+ to B
:lugia: B+ to B
:dracovish: B to B-
:rayquaza: B to B-
:mewtwo: B- to C
:gastrodon: B- to C
:chansey: B- to UR
:grimmsnarl: C to D
:umbreon: C to D
:aerodactyl: D to UR
:diancie: D to UR
:kyurem-black: D to UR
:naganadel: D to UR

:ss/ho-oh:
Ho-Oh is slowly becoming a luxury instead of a necessity. Plenty of trends have a hand at this: Yveltal is most often seen running Knock Off, which makes Ho-Oh a suboptimal check to it; bulky Yveltal acts as the Defogger on many builds; Xerneas is covered handily by Necrozma-DM + Ferrothorn already, and Calyrex-S by bulky Yveltal. The fact that Ho-Oh's weak to so many of our top dogs -Kyogre, Zygarde-C, Eternatus, Groudon, Zekrom- does it no favors either.

:ss/ditto:
Ditto is the opposite of a splashable staple; there is quite literally no realistic way to fit Ditto without forgoing matchup against some of the metagame's most potent threats or another important component of teambuilding. In a typical bulky build, Yveltal and Necrozma-DM are near-mandatory, a third slot has to be dedicated to Kyogre, and an additional fourth slot to cover Zygarde-C is quite important as well. With the remaining two slots, you need to fit wallbreakers, Speed control, a status absorber if not covered yet, and some form of counterplay to offensive Yveltal, which leaves awful little room for Ditto.

:ss/lunala::ss/lugia:
While sporting great defensive capabilities, Lunala's true potential is only displayable as long as Shadow Shield is intact. This makes it so that Lunala must be used with intense planning and positioning, and often disappoints when it loads up a Tyranitar-matchup. Being a Zygarde-C-, Groudon-, and Zekrom-check notwithstanding, Lunala unfortunately forfeits momentum versus our two most dangerous presences, which lowers its appeal too. Lugia faces much of the same issues, on top of being weak to Zekrom.

:ss/gothitelle::ss/gastrodon::ss/umbreon:
While serving entirely different niches, Gothitelle, Gastrodon, and Umbreon drop for a similar reason; they aren't appealing due to the centralization this metagame suffers under. Gothitelle simply cannot fit onto teams without sacrificing important aspects akin to Ditto, Gastrodon is largely outclassed by Ferrothorn, and Umbreon offers little over bulky Yveltal.

:ss/dracovish::ss/rayquaza::ss/mewtwo:
Similarly, Dracovish, Rayquaza, and Mewtwo are outclassed by wallbreakers that are strictly better. Dracovish offers little to nothing over Choice Specs Kyogre, whereas Rayquaza and Mewtwo are severely outclassed by Dynamax sweepers such as Yveltal, Groudon, Xerneas, Zekrom, and Calyrex-S.

:ss/chansey:
Chansey is outdone by Utility Umbrella Blissey in terms of being a check to Choice Specs Kyogre. While Chansey does remain the more sturdy check to Xerneas, covering that up is more efficient with a Necrozma-DM anyway.

:ss/grimmsnarl:
While still being a fine Dual Screens setter, Grimmsnarl drops a rank due to the fact that Dual Screens hyper offense is outdone by Sticky Web hyper offenses, which often do not have a need to sacrifice a slot for Dual Screens.

:ss/aerodactyl::ss/diancie::ss/kyurem-black::ss/naganadel:
None of these hold even the slightest of a niche in the metagame. Aerodactyl offers nothing over suicide lead Excadrill or Mew, Diancie is an extremely passive Yveltal-check that is outdone by Tyranitar, Kyurem-B is outclassed as a Dragon Dance sweeper by Zekrom and as a Kyogre-check by Kyurem-W, whereas Naganadel is too weak and frail to stand out from other Dynamax sweepers or even Life Orb Eternatus.

Slate

Last edited by a moderator:
:kyurem-white: ----> B-
Kyuwhite has shown itself to be pretty good in the metagame climate right now. Kyogre and Yveltal are preys to Ice Beam/Freeze Dry, a lack of Chansey is well appreciated. Not to mention most of the metagame being ice weak (Zygarde, Yveltal, Groudon, and to an extent Rayquaza and Ogre if Freeze Dry.) However, abundance of both NDM and Zacian make it harder and harder for it to exist, which makes it an amazing partner to NDM.

:Eternatus: --> S-
This thing is actually really good now that I think about it. It immediately takes out any kyogre, can be useful against yveltal with the right set and is great at putting out toxic spikes. I just think that this shouldn't be lower than something that it can easily destroy. A few sets that are pretty good with etern that can destroy are :
Eternatus @ Black Sludge
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 236 HP / 228 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Flamethrower
- Dynamax Cannon
- Recover
and another set
Eternatus @ Power Herb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Dynamax Cannon
- Meteor Beam
- Recover
The calcs for the etern power herb are actually pretty good.
:zygarde: 252 SpA Eternatus Dynamax Cannon vs. 12 HP / 48 SpD Zygarde: 354-416 (98.3 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
:zacian-crowned: 252 SpA Eternatus Flamethrower vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zacian-Crowned: 190-224 (58.2 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:yveltal: 252 SpA Eternatus Meteor Beam vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Yveltal: 322-380 (81.9 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Dyna :yveltal: 252 SpA Eternatus Dynamax Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Dynamax Yveltal: 404-476 (51.3 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:kyurem-white: 252 SpA Eternatus Dynamax Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-White: 356-420 (91 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
:Eternatus: 252 SpA Eternatus Dynamax Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eternatus: 372-438 (88.3 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
:Eternatus: 252 SpA Eternatus Dynamax Cannon vs. 236 HP / 228+ SpD Eternatus: 270-320 (56.2 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
and they are okay when defending.
:zacian-crowned: +1 252 Atk Zacian-Crowned Behemoth Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eternatus: 313-369 (74.3 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
dyna :yveltal: 252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Max Darkness vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Eternatus: 422-499 (100.2 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
:kyogre: 252+ SpA Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Eternatus: 248-294 (58.9 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:zygarde: 216+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eternatus: 272-324 (64.6 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:kyurem-white: 252 SpA Eternatus Dynamax Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-White: 356-420 (91 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
Also for the other set which is more defensive so I won't bother to show the attacking calc since they stink:
:kyogre: 252+ SpA Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 236 HP / 228+ SpD Eternatus: 182-216 (37.9 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
:zacian-crowned: +1 252 Atk Zacian-Crowned Behemoth Blade vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Eternatus: 313-369 (65.2 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
:zygarde: 216+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Eternatus: 272-324 (56.6 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
dyna :yveltal: 252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Max Darkness vs. 236 HP / 228+ SpD Eternatus: 308-364 (64.1 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
dyna :calyrex-shadow: 252 SpA Calyrex-Shadow Max Mindstorm vs. 236 HP / 228+ SpD Eternatus: 386-456 (80.4 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
So as you can see the calcs for each set's specialty is really good. If you know how to stall and play well then use the toxic spikes set. But if ur more of an attacker then use the power herb set. But either way etern is really great and can shut down some really good mons. This mon is great to use and is really powerful and I just really think that it should be a S- .

:ss/Eternatus:
S-

Last edited:
now that I am a council member I thought I would make a nomination because maybe it will be take more seriously now

:Landorus-Therian: UR -> D
Landorus Therian is a very good dynamax sweeper that can distinguish itself from groudon because of access to stab flying, a solid ability in intimidate, and also not being as vulnerable to being revenge killed by ditto. Landorus also gets access to explosion which is able to take out mons like defensive zygarde with ease, it also makes it more difficult to beat with ditto and provides an option to prevent the opponent from using defog which is very helpful on webs teams and allows it to run a more niche but still viable webs rock setter set.

now that I am a council member I thought I would make a nomination because maybe it will be take more seriously now

Landorus Therian is a very good dynamax sweeper that can distinguish itself from groudon because of access to stab flying, a solid ability in intimidate, and also not being as vulnerable to being revenge killed by ditto. Landorus also gets access to explosion which is able to take out mons like defensive zygarde with ease, it also makes it more difficult to beat with ditto and provides an option to prevent the opponent from using defog which is very helpful on webs teams and allows it to run a more niche but still viable webs rock setter set.
Honestly, I think that Landorus T is not that useful. I find that regular Landorus with sheer force orb works so much better. The only thing that I think Landorus T works well for is rocks, and even then it does a bad job, If anything Landorus regular should be a D, not Landorus T. Also Landrous would be easily taken out if Dyna by either zac, Yveltal, Kyogre, or Calyrex. This thing just doesn't have a great move pool or stats for that matter. The only set it is used for is rocks and if you attempt to use explosion people will most likely switch out to a ghost type such as Calyrex-S. If your use defog ur also gonna be taking out your own rocks so that is a huge waste. Rapid spin mons work better such as Regieleki or Excadrill. In total Landorus T deserves where it is now.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Lando-T once it's set up is super scary, especially on webs. There aren't a lot of solid checks to it. Given how centralized the meta is around NDM being the premier physical wall, Lando-T very much has a niche and has me shakin in my heavy duty boots.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)