Resource AG General Information and Simple Questions Thread (READ ME)

(gorgeous art by Albinson)

Rules:

AG (Anything Goes) is a 6v6 singles metagame that has the fewest restrictions found in any of Smogon's formats. Every Pokémon from any tier is allowed, and because the Species Clause is lifted, you can have up to six of the same Pokémon on your team. Anything legal in the cartridge games (Scarlet and Violet) is legal. There are no bans or clauses (excluding the 'Endless Battle Clause').

FAQ:

Q. Why can't I use Primal Groudon/Mega Rayquaza/Arceus/Z Moves?
A. Pokemon Scarlet and Violet don't have Primal Reversions, Mega Evolutions, Z Moves and has a lot of cut mons.

Q. Will Terastallizing be banned?
A. No bans, this is AG.

Forum Moderators:
Fc
Frozoid
lotiasite
pichus
WrathoftheLeopard

Council:
Agcl2 Ragib
entrocefalo
Farce Of The Death
Fc
PrimalKyogre
TaxFraud
tier

Rules and Guidelines:
  • The Global Forum Rules are expected to be followed.
  • Do NOT make a thread without the permission of an AG Forum Moderator. If you feel the need to make one, then feel free to PM a moderator asking for approval in this format:
    • Requester (Smogon AND PS name):
    • Thread Title:
    • Explanation or Details:
  • Please make sure that an already existing thread does not fulfill the purpose of the thread you're proposing. For example, simple AG related questions can be asked in the here. If you wish to discuss the metagame, Pokemon ideas, or innovative sets, this is the thread you're looking for. This guideline must be taken seriously because repeated offenders will be punished.
  • Stick to AG. Posts not related to the Anything Goes metagame will be removed.
  • Be respectful to other users. If you disagree with someone's opinions, or think that the team they posted in the Team Bazaar is unviable, dont be rude about it. You're free to ignore their post. If you really want to help, do it in a polite manner or simply wait for a roomauth or a council member to reply to them.
  • This forum is not the place to ask for help with a team. This should be done in the Rate My Team forum or the #gen9-discussion or #old-gens-discussion Discord channel. Please make sure to read the rules of the RMT forum before posting there if you choose to do so.
Resources & Links:
AG Metagame Discussion
AG Viability Rankings
AG Speed Tiers
AG Team Bazaar
AG Old Gens Hub
Tournaments Schedule 2024

Anything Goes Room on PS!
Anything Goes Discord

Simple Questions, Simple Answers:

This thread will also be doubling as a simple Q&A thread where players can get questions answered. Any questions related to Anything Goes formats are welcome (provided they are relatively simple to answer), but please keep the following guidelines in mind before posting:
  • Make sure the question you are asking is clear! It's a lot easier for us to help you out if we understand what you're asking.
  • If your question can be answered by a Google search or the Smogdex, please do that as to not clutter the thread.
  • When answering questions, please quote the post you're answering to avoid confusion.
  • In-game questions or questions related to other tiers don't belong here. Make sure you're asking about Anything Goes!
  • Be civil when posting please
Ask away!

Why do the Sample Teams not include anything that breaks Species Clause?
I had an important match so I grabbed a team, then I saw my opp had 2 Flutter Manes
That was ofc my fault for not realizing it
But maybe a sample team that uses this factor would be nice?
I would have rather bring 6 Miraidons here and there

Why do the Sample Teams not include anything that breaks Species Clause?
I had an important match so I grabbed a team, then I saw my opp had 2 Flutter Manes
That was ofc my fault for not realizing it
But maybe a sample team that uses this factor would be nice?
I would have rather bring 6 Miraidons here and there
The issue is that most of the time breaking species clause isn’t optimal, especially in a format such as this one. Doubling up on the same Pokémon cuts your potential coverage in half (though this isn’t necessarily the case) as well as doubling your weaknesses to certain things (terastallization nullifies that to a degree but then again double Pokémon can make you more likely to commit your Tera to circumvent that, which may not be ideal). Double miraidon would likely be better if there weren’t as many Pokémon that either speed tied it or outsped it (koraidon, opposing miraidon, chien pao, flutter, bundle, etc). Long story short, most of the time, using a different Pokémon that covers for certain weaknesses or provides a different coverage base is more optimal than doubling up on a heavy hitter. Arceus is a special exception to this rule because it’s effectively 18 different Pokémon in one, and a lot of forms can run very different sets.

What are the pros and cons for Great Tusk and Iron Treads? If I want to use one of them, how do I decide which one to use?

Rose

formerly WrathoftheLeopard
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
What are the pros and cons for Great Tusk and Iron Treads? If I want to use one of them, how do I decide which one to use?
Although they are both Ground-type spinners with access to Knock Off, the similarities pretty much end there. The choice of which one to use will vary depending on the needs of your team. Great Tusk is more flexible in what set it can run and is the better Pokemon overall. It can be a potent wallbreaker that supports its teammates with its offensive utility set, a dangerous win condition with its Bulk Up set, a top revenge killer with its Choice Scarf set, or a valuable defensive Pokemon that notably checks Koraidon. All of this does not mean that Iron Treads does not have its uses, however. The future Paradox Donphan is able to check Miraidon and Flutter Mane—especially Calm Mind + Agility variants of the former. You can read the analyses of both Pokemon for a more detailed look at them: Great Tusk, Iron Treads.

Last edited:
Could someone explain to me what Wo-Chien's niche is in this meta? I see that it's ranked in the VR and I've also seen it in high ladder, although it wasn't very clear to me what advantages it had over Ting-Lu.

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Could someone explain to me what Wo-Chien's niche is in this meta? I see that it's ranked in the VR and I've also seen it in high ladder, although it wasn't very clear to me what advantages it had over Ting-Lu.
the majority of caly-s right now run astral + grass knot coverage, with a potential psychic move as well. Wo-Chien completely walls this coverage, and is a general annoyance to a lot of pivots into it thanks to Leech Seed + Knock Off + Foul Play. This lets it help force progress in conjunction w hazardstack + makes it less passive into setup sweepers like Ekiller.

Glory

formerly TaxFraud
is a Pre-Contributor
the majority of caly-s right now run astral + grass knot coverage, with a potential psychic move as well. Wo-Chien completely walls this coverage, and is a general annoyance to a lot of pivots into it thanks to Leech Seed + Knock Off + Foul Play. This lets it help force progress in conjunction w hazardstack + makes it less passive into setup sweepers like Ekiller.
To add on to this, Wo-Chien is also a great check to Groundceus and Kyogre, while soft checking Miraidon. This list of mons it can check isn’t replicated by any other mon, giving it a more definitive niche over other mons that also wall the standard Caly sets, like Roaring Moon.

Haven't played much sv ag so plz don't mind my comment but it really feels like it has given caly s way more power than before with tera and it helps to defeat all its checks and counters. Also koraidon with scale shot has also been a really powerful mon that can beat kind of 'anything' after is sets up properly. Also want ss and usum ladders back

Thank you very much for reading this.
Posted something like this for the first time

Glory

formerly TaxFraud
is a Pre-Contributor
What's the best tera type for caly-s right now?
The best Calyrex-S sets at the moment are Choice Scarf and Choice Specs, both of which typically run Tera Ghost to amp up Astral Barrage's damage to hit important thresholds or muscle through Ting-Lu. Nasty Plot sets aren't in a great place but they usually run Tera Stellar or Ghost for similar reasons to the choice sets.

Please help me find one team. There were two Miradons in it (one hundred percent had a scarf of choice, the second I don't remember, maybe glasses of choice). I found this team somewhere here, about half a year ago. I can't find her right now...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)