Resource ADV OU Teambuilding/Strategy: Archetypes and Cores -- A Data-Driven Approach

For me, the lead pokemon isn't really important. What's important is that the lead pokemon has synergy with pokemon in reserve, so it can switch out almost for free. A lead zapdos is usually facing rockslide or ice beam from opposing lead tyranitars, and thus metagross is an acceptable switch in. But if we switch our lead pokemon from zapdos to jolteon, there's a good chance an opposing tyranitar will earthquake, and thus metagross becomes a risky switch in. I think we can be more liberal with lead pokemon, but the synergy of the team must still be present.

That being said, certain lead pokemon are probably still better, because they have fewer weaknesses, thus greatly limiting what our opponents can do and making our opponents moves more predictable. Zapdos, despite being electric, can't be hit with earthquake, and the fear of a substitute wards off toxic/thunder wave effects. However, if you do lead with zapdos, maybe this limits you to building around zapdos. And maybe those pokemon around zapdos aren't something we should be playing.

If lead pokemon are as influential as I think they are, then we must consider this when looking at data from winning teams. Maybe some pokemon correlate to a higher win percentage not because they're actually better, but rather because they synergize well with those winning teams lead pokemon. But in a way, nothing said here is new, as many veterans have already discussed ad-nauseam the importance of synergy on a team.

It's already tough to make a good team just constraining yourself to using alakazam, much less its pre-evolutions as well. If you want a good team, I'd suggest replacing abra and kadabra with mons that accomplish something. If you don't care about it being good and just want to meme with bad mons, you're already doing that just fine I think.

vapicuno

你的价值比自己想象中的所有还要低。我却早已解脱,享受幸福
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Hi everyone,

I have published an offense teambuilding guide that went unfinished in 2021. Better late and incomplete than never. I have appended it to the original guide, but you can also find the file attached in this post.

1672067375538.png

1672067402765.png

1672067441351.png

Download the slides below for the full deck.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi just a friendly reminder that you are the best user to have ever graced us with your intellect.

There is so much to enjoy. I don't quite understand a lot of this stuff but I have been talking with lots of adv folks and your name gets thrown in conversations a lot. I am sure the old gens community as a whole cannot be thankful enough for the amount of resources adv has and other groups like gsc rby and dpp are only happy if they can emulate a fraction of what is being done in the adv community.

vapicuno

你的价值比自己想象中的所有还要低。我却早已解脱,享受幸福
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Hi everyone,

I updated my offense teambuilding pdf guide. It now has 128 slides compared to the old one which was ~80 slides. It features replays, teaches how to learn from watching replays, and goes through teambuilding step-by-step.

These updates were made in response to players from the ongoing ADV Revival tournament feedbacking that when they read the teambuilding principles, they didn't know what to do with it. So voila.

The OP has been updated, but you can also just download it below.

Edit: Attachment revised, corrected an erroneous link on the analysis of SEA's replay.
Edit2: I changed the wrong link! Attachment revised again. _v3.pdf is the correct one now

1696503252342.png

1696503268535.png

1696503293287.png

1696503314272.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)