Resource ADV Beginner's Lounge - Rules/FAQ, Resources, Question & Answer

vapicuno

你的价值比自己想象中的所有还要低。我却早已解脱,享受幸福
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
I don't think it's doubled by abilities or items.

Siatam

is a Tutoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
RoA Leader
So a Dugtrio using Beat Up would use Medicham's 60 base attack instead of whatever Huge Power elevates it to?
Before gen 5, beat up calculates damage as if each team member attacked the target with a 10 base power typeless move.
So the damage calculation uses each mon’s unmodified attack stat instead of base attack. EVs, IVs, and Natures will affect the damage. Abilities, held items, and stat modifiers will not affect damage.

vapicuno

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
So the damage calculation uses each mon’s unmodified attack stat instead of base attack. EVs, IVs, and Natures will affect the damage. Abilities, held items, and stat modifiers will not affect damage.
I think your conclusion about abilities, items, and state modifiers is correct, but the statement about unmodified attack stat is not true, and the statement about EVs, IVs and Natures affecting the damage is not true as well. See https://github.com/smogon/pokemon-s...c38236e30f056fdc5df48/data/mods/gen3/moves.ts
1663246628899.png

Siatam

is a Tutoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
RoA Leader
I think your conclusion about abilities, items, and state modifiers is correct, but the statement about unmodified attack stat is not true, and the statement about EVs, IVs and Natures affecting the damage is not true as well. See https://github.com/smogon/pokemon-s...c38236e30f056fdc5df48/data/mods/gen3/moves.ts
View attachment 453358
My mistake, apologies. I assume this means that the targets defense IVs/EVs are not factored in?
I was looking at the Emerald disassembly and that was tripping me up.

My mistake, apologies. I assume this means that the targets defense IVs/EVs are not factored in?
I was looking at the Emerald disassembly and that was tripping me up.
That's correect, it uses base stats for all calculations. That's why the move is primarily used for hitting Blissey since it cuts through it's bold nature and defense EVs to hit it's 10 base defense

I've been playing for a while, but I've never seen a sort of "CMBi to Kingdra/Ludi Rain"-style team. Is this an archetype worth exploring? Ludicolo at +2 with Surf/IB/HP Grass would have great coverage. You could even run CM/BP/RD/Psychic on Bi and pack an extra Thunder Punch (for Gyara) on Ludi or an extra Dragonbreath (on Dra) for opposing Dra.

wanted to play adv a lot more lately and how do i break through blissey. Do i just double switch?
Special offense tends to deal with blissey either by
1. Forcing it to take spikes damage and double switching, roaring, or baton passing
2. Trapping it with special defense-invested dugtrio
3. Using gengar (with taunt+wisp, explosion, focus punch, maybe hypnosis) in combination with one of the first two

If you're using a team that's less focused on special offense, using blissey as an entry point for physical attackers (fighting types, tyranitar, metagross) is generally a good idea, and in that case you're not so worried about quickly killing blissey. I personally like to use toxic zapdos on teams like that, to make sure that blissey leaves the field below 100%. It combos well with spikes.

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Blisey have almost no physical defense, I guess just a fight move is enough to kill a Blisey
Blissey, thanks to its massive HP has perfectly serviceable Physical Bulk if fully invested.
For example, a Bold Blissey can easily take two MixMence(Specially Based) brick breaks.
4 Atk Salamence Brick Break vs. 44 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 255-300 (38.5 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
You obviously shouldn't leave your Blissey in on most fighting moves, but Blissey can easily take a weak fighting hit from something with low attack.

I wanted to ask, why isn’t Baton Pass banned in ADV OU? If we’re going to heavily neuter the move, why not just ban it altogether?

vapicuno

I wanted to ask, why isn’t Baton Pass banned in ADV OU? If we’re going to heavily neuter the move, why not just ban it altogether?
The short answer is that there are some cool strategies (and possibly some that have yet to be discovered) using BP. And BP isn't as bad as a beginner may think in its nerfed form. Read the five links below from one of the above posts to learn more about BP in ADV.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/adv-baton-pass-again.3694120/post-9069473

Because the playerbase wanted it to be banned is the short answer. The slightly less short answer is that thread.

For a longer answer, a simple browse through the adv forum threads and the policy review threads about baton pass shows the many years players have been debating baton pass and the many ways we have tried to address a desire from players to do something about it.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/baton-pass-v12.3679625/

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/done-uncompetitive-strategies-baton-pass.3537569/

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/on-the-baton-pass-issue.3690543/

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/baton-pass-in-adv-ubers.3686078/

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/adv-baton-pass-suspect-again.3694119/

Here are a sample of threads that discuss, in whole or in part, baton pass in adv, to give a glimpse into the history of the dicussion

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
I've been playing for a while, but I've never seen a sort of "CMBi to Kingdra/Ludi Rain"-style team. Is this an archetype worth exploring? Ludicolo at +2 with Surf/IB/HP Grass would have great coverage. You could even run CM/BP/RD/Psychic on Bi and pack an extra Thunder Punch (for Gyara) on Ludi or an extra Dragonbreath (on Dra) for opposing Dra.
I've had a lot of success using a rain team with Zapdos, CM Pass Celebi, Dugtrio, MixMeta, Kingdra and 1 filler(I prefer SubCM Suicune, but Ludicolo works too.) It's definitely worth exploring in my opinion.

I'm just getting into ADV OU and wondering how to play Skarmory lead. I've been playing with Starmie TSS by UD (https://pokepast.es/ad7a9a738ec1a82a) so a stall team with Skarmory lead. I am always tempted to spam spikes on a lot of starting opposing leads, but if my opponent switches to Magneton turn 1 and I do anything but switch/whirlwind, I am basically sacking Skarm to get up a layer of spikes (could be basically pointless if they are running eg Claydol as a spinner).

The other lead matchup I struggle with is ttar since I will often spike, but if they are running fire blast this also seems like I'm mostly coming out of the turn on the losing side.

Is the basic advice to both of these possibilities to just play the averages and spike anyway or is there something else I can be doing eg switching Skarm turn 1 and bringing it out later once I know more about their team?

watermess

What? Never seen an idiot before?
is a Tutoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm just getting into ADV OU and wondering how to play Skarmory lead. I've been playing with Starmie TSS by UD (https://pokepast.es/ad7a9a738ec1a82a) so a stall team with Skarmory lead. I am always tempted to spam spikes on a lot of starting opposing leads, but if my opponent switches to Magneton turn 1 and I do anything but switch/whirlwind, I am basically sacking Skarm to get up a layer of spikes (could be basically pointless if they are running eg Claydol as a spinner).

The other lead matchup I struggle with is ttar since I will often spike, but if they are running fire blast this also seems like I'm mostly coming out of the turn on the losing side.

Is the basic advice to both of these possibilities to just play the averages and spike anyway or is there something else I can be doing eg switching Skarm turn 1 and bringing it out later once I know more about their team?
I'd spike anyway in the vast number of senarios, certainly Vs tar and meta.

UD beerlover should be treated more as a spikes bulky offense than as a stall, all the sets including the blissey and pert are geared towards trying to make progress. Skarm is simply here to support with his spikes. If he's getting them up safely then that's always a win.

To delve a little bit deeper into skarm. Even as low as 30% a skarm with leftovers and protect can usually find a way back into any game Vs common rapid spinners teams. It may require some patience but skarm can often spike again even Vs starmies after taking a mixtar fire blast turn 1. Claydol is even easier because it can't touch skarm without exploding. This means if they come in to spin, you can easily re-up and often skarm ends up recovering a little in the process.

In conclusion, skarm is most valuable for his first and third spikes and is still valuable at lower hp, if he gets a chance to lay his third layer at some point. Finally skarm shouldn't fear taking 50% or so for a first layer, as he can always recover up with protect later and generally finds it easy to stay healthy if the opponent has a passive slot like a claydol.

Hope this helped have a nice weekend!

sparks bloom

formerly ketchup disliker
Trying to play with some of the sample teams to understand ADV OU a little better and I’m a little baffled by how the SpinMie balance is meant to break through offensive threats. Seems like anything with both Ice Beam and Earthquake makes the defensive core really fragile and prediction-reliant and getting Marowak or Yama in to wallbreak against anything with any level of speed seems tricky. I’m guessing the game plan is to land paralysis with Jirachi and Starmie and sweep with Marowak, but am I missing some nuance to how this team is meant to be used?

edit: ah, found the BKC video explaining this team, this basically answered my questions

Last edited:
Teambuilding in school because Showdown is blocked.
Using whatever resources I've been scrolling through that given day.
This could potentially go in rate my teams, not sure? I'd like feedback on the methodology used for the teambuilding as opposed to the resultant team itself buuuut it kinda goes hand in hand.

First team: Built strictly following the principles stated in the Borat teambuilding guide.

My general preferences for team structure:
I rarely like using true stall teams (though I think those rarely exist in ADV, it's more of a GSC style of offense) but I highly value the ability to consistently switch, so I like aiming for bulk. I prefer my offense taking the form of intelligent management of resources and predicting the team structure, as opposed to specifics such as moveset, EV spread, etc.
Knowing all of this, I generally lead towards bulky offense or balance teams, using a lot of specially defensive Zapdos, Skarm, Dol, bulky non-DD Tyranitar (something I will be forcing myself to build with more in the future), Metagross, etc etc.
So following the team building guide for the first time, I will be building a Skarm beatdown bulky offense.
I'll also be using McMeghan's explanation on how to utilise Forretress, as I feel like its fundamental strengths should be very structurally beneficial to how I like to play, but I've never been able to figure out how to utilise it.

Primary win condition: Skarm beatdown teams rely on having high damage, neutral coverage moves going off constantly to force out Skarmory to take hits it would prefer not to, and utilising a bulky spinner to clear its spikes after they've gone up, and then set up its own offense with either spikes or Skarm weak pokemon, without relying on using a team slot on Magneton.

Alternative win conditions: I love having moves which generally hit switch ins and allow me to play for double switches and pivots to whittle down the opposing pokemon with sand, toxic and usually a single spike. A lot of my mons will carry status, or forego having lower coverage (I would VERY rarely run monopert on this team structure, for example) in exchange for high coverage. Alternatively, I could have one team slot filled with a HIGHLY offensive but frail offense mon with a strong speed tier which the rest of the team facilitates with its spikes clearing (and potentially wish support?). The immediate thought which comes to mind for me is Heracross for this role, either agi pass and lefties on a guts set, or a late game subsalac set. Will see how the rest of the team turns out though, as there are like 7 different calm minders which can fulfill this purpose whilst sticking to the principle of being able to pivot into attacks midgame.

Creating the team:
My personal mainstays
  1. Tyranitar is almost a necessity on this team structure, as a lot of the cores of the team (Skarm, Rachi, Metagross, Claydol) are all heavy sand abusers. This team also hates having to deal with gengar, so a pursuit set and a pokemon to absorb burn is always preferable. That being said, I feel like all of my teams recently have been using pursuit tar, so in future I'm going to try experimenting with different pursuit pokemon. As it stands, stick with what I know.
  2. Suicune is such a strong pokemon for fulfilling this kind of bulky offense role that I honestly don't understand why it isn't considered a more vital pokemon for this role. It has the natural bulk to take most unboosted physical attacks and counter attack, it hits Skarm for strong neutral damage, and can beat out less offensively strong pokemon in the late game with pressure stalling and calm mind boosting. Generally I like to go bold with enough speed investment to outspeed 252 neutral ttar, because taking TWO rock slides is usually a bit too much on top of spikes, but it's flexible.
  3. Claydol is the pokemon that, in 90% of situations, creates this team style. Bulky, spinner, with access to explosion to break an overly life-filled Blissey, Zapdos, etc. Not very much moveset variation, it's basically choosing between refresh or explosion, and RS, IB or psychic as your secondary attacking move. Gets the job done and that's all you need.
The common partners
Skarmory is splashable on almost any team, and this is no exception. You don't really mind getting magneton trapped, because your goal isn't to keep it alive for the whole game, it's to have a switch in that forces out pokemon you would prefer to fight, and get up at least one spike. Taunt is usally pretty good on these sets. I personally want to try thief Skarmory on a beatdown team, because stealing a bulky opponents lefties is huge on a team like this. Forretress can also fulfill a similar role, but requires more help in the support department.
Metagross is almost essential enough to be a mainstay. CB or mixed, both terrify skarm, and there is almost nothing that can truly safely switch in. Wisp gengar comes in to revenge kill? Oops, it's pursuit. Bye!
Specially defensive Zapdos is one of my favourite pokemon in the tier, and in my opinion this is the teamstyle it fits on the most. Rest shuts down an obscene number of pokemon that try to achieve "balance", it scares out waters and steels with ease, and hits HARD even naturally.
Aerodactyl might not be the first pokemon that comes to mind when you think of bulky offense, but it having a ground immunity gives it a fantastic number of switch in opportunities, and the ability to clean up so much of the tier with a neutral double edge at 40% greatly reduces the amount of longevity your team needs.
Salamence is in a similar position to Aerodactyl, where its unique traits (Ground immunity, AS WELL AS access to intimidate and a dragon typing) give it strong switch in opportunities, and it hits hard enough to be able to justify its frailty because so little wants to stay in on it. I like mixmence the most, and this team style also benefits from wish support, so you could even run a mono set, like the one used on the YamaWak balance team.
Swampert is the most splashable pokemon of all time, but my personal love of suicune on this team means it doesn't get as much use as it should. If I want to run pert, I need to do a lot of compromising with the rest of my team comp.
And finally, the ever-present queen of bulk, Blissey. Pure utility, status, and being compelled to run SpA invested IB means that Blissey can both read switch ins and force out the ever terrifying ice-weak pokemon in the tier, like Salamence, Flygon, Aero, and offensive Zapdos.

First draft of the team will be incredibly unoriginal - I will experiment with variations after testing out the team structure and checking for weaknesses. I also don't have access to EV spreads right now, so I'll update those later.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Thunder Wave
- Fire Blast

physical bulk l8r (Claydol) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rapid Spin

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Roar
- Rest

toxic or hpgrass? (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Rest
- Roar
- Toxic

bb, rs, or maybe even hp grass :O (Metagross) @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion

idk evs (Forretress) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
- Counter
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Part 2: After initial testing
Given how the rest of the team functions, this current Metagross isn't really working. It can be a nice wallbreaker and end game wincondition, but this team aims to live longer than the opponent, and a CB meta doesn't really achieve that. The team currently is also struggling to break through opposing Zapdos, and doesn't have a strong switch in to it. As a result, I am now going to test out a physically defensive wish CM Jirachi set. Without the threat of spikes, this should be able to fight off most variants of Zapdos and only really fears Twave hax. It would also be nice to have a threat of Jirachi status to throw out.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 140 SpA / 116 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast

physical bulk l8r (Claydol) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rapid Spin

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Roar
- Rest

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Rest
- Roar
- Toxic

idk evs (Forretress) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Counter
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Calm Mind
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

My primary main fear with this team currently is Tyranitar not having the longevity to actually go into Gengar in the lategame whilst also fending off some of the other relevant threats like Forre, Skarm, Celebi, etc. Could potentially run protect in the T-wave slot, as it's rare that a pokemon that suffers to Twave switches easily into tar outside of the early game

Last edited:
After about a year of being too cowardly to commit to any metagame, I'm trying out ADV OU for my first introduction to competitive singles. I intend on playing either stall or some form of slower team style, and intend on starting with defensive TSS as per the sample teams thread. As it stands, the MiloDol TSS set is what I'd like to try out on ladder.

I'm curious if anyone has hard lessons they've learned or advice for a newer player, since though I've spent a lot of time looking at tiers I haven't spent a ton of time actually playing them, and I'd rather learn things by hearing from folks that know what they're doing than through trial-and-error hell on the ladder

After about a year of being too cowardly to commit to any metagame, I'm trying out ADV OU for my first introduction to competitive singles. I intend on playing either stall or some form of slower team style, and intend on starting with defensive TSS as per the sample teams thread. As it stands, the MiloDol TSS set is what I'd like to try out on ladder.

I'm curious if anyone has hard lessons they've learned or advice for a newer player, since though I've spent a lot of time looking at tiers I haven't spent a ton of time actually playing them, and I'd rather learn things by hearing from folks that know what they're doing than through trial-and-error hell on the ladder
Hi! I personally have had success using a version of that team to run through lower ladder. Especially as you’re learning, you should have the tools w that team to learn different play styles and how to beat them.

My suggestions w learning advance is to do three things: the first is to just to get out there on the ladder and play w a known team (just like the one you’ve picked). When I started learning approximately a million years ago, the resources weren’t as good, so I just threw some stuff together and tried trial and error. But having a good team to figure stuff out helps a lot. It will also help you w fundamentals of playing competitive pokemon that goes outside of just ADV (positioning, switching, when to just attack, etc)

The second is once you have a feel of how playing that team works, read up on the excellent resources there are. A lot of theory has been worked out in the 20 years adv has been out, so you don’t have to figure it all out yourself. Vapicuno’s guide (the OP of this thread) does this really well, having a wealth of teams, concepts, and ideas for you to work w. In Adv, you typically can't keep to one style of team, so it'll help you explore team concepts beyond just stallier stuff.

The third is one I can’t stress enough and it is to watch high level advance replays. The SPL replay thread is fantastic. Here are two examples of me at a fairly high level on ladder playing a version of that team against two mus (skarm mag and spikes offense). Seeing how others handle certain situation can be really helpful for you to learn the tier.

Best of luck! You can also join some Smogon/elsewhere tours like on Pokemon Perfect or on discord to get a better idea of the metagame.

Last edited:
If a pokemon as smeargle used ingrain + baton pass to a pokémon as Latias who has levitate, after this pokémon with levitate it's roosted in the ground, it can be hited by ground moves?
1. No, roost does not remove a ground immunity that's caused by levitate, it only removes the flying type
2. Ingrain does not remove a ground immunity
3. Roost does not exist in gen 3

I think they mean rooted not roosted
Yes, I mean rooted not roosted. My bad

I'm asking that because I'm using this strategy on battle frontier on emerald and also battling friends after a mix record.
My friend said it's Skarmory have an hidden power ground, who indeed didn't affect my Ninjask (who is also in my baton pass chain) but hit my Latias! Who were rooted but has levitate.

I was looking around for team ideas when I found this set: Curse Swampert. It leaves me both very interested and confused.

Code:
Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 96 SpA / 32 SpD / 40 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Earthquake
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Curse
I'm left with a few questions:
  1. Swampert's unboosted Speed is 149, which is a few points ahead of what is necessary to outrun Blissey (146). Why are 40 Speed EVs used instead of 32 Speed EVs, which also outruns Blissey?
  2. What is the purpose of Swampert's mixed bulk investment?
  3. Why is this Swampert running Curse and only one physical move?
  4. If the focus of the set is Curse, why not drop Ice Beam for more coverage or Rest for recovery?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)