Rejected Adding a command to temporarily voice a user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This idea was first proposed by Seraphus, and could be very handy in specific cases.
It would basically allow a user to either be voiced for either a set amount of time and it would appear as a temp voice in chat.
- Users (especially regs) see it's a temporary voice immediately
Depending on what's possible or not temporary voices could have room-specific restrictions, though this is just an addendum idea - Modlog would be a lot cleaner than it currently is, since you could search on temp voice or for real voice promotions
There's no real downside apart from needing to have it implemented
That came from Seraphus again, and I think just a simple command, something like /tempvoice user, time would help

queso

too cheesy
is a Tiering Contributor
So voices can broadcast commands, what are some of the things you use temp voice for? Not opposed to this but potentially it could be implemented better.
Sometimes there's a want in some rooms to only be able to have a few users chat (looking at trivia) and you could set modchat for this. I know cosmo lets user host lectures and tempvoice could be useful for that as well.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Sometimes there's a want in some rooms to only be able to have a few users chat (looking at trivia) and you could set modchat for this. I know cosmo lets user host lectures and tempvoice could be useful for that as well.
If this is for a game, using the RoomGame API's support to restrict user's abilities to chat is a great idea. Mafia uses it to do these:
Generally during the game, only players, the host of the game, and staff may speak.
During a specific phase of the game, only the host/staff may speak.
As players are eliminated they lose their ability to speak too unless they are specifically allowed to keep it.
Its really flexible, and can do alot.

Will think about the other cases.

Some simple cases of tempvoice being useful:
- Games (even if you have other methods) would benefit from it on the side
- Rooms holding lectures or smaller games (in non-dedicated rooms) can benefit from it since it permits a user to use bot display commands and normal broadcasting commands
- giving special permission to a trusted reg to broadcast something, though this is arguably not really the intended purpose.

It's hard to find more reasons given the first two basically cover most if not all of the uses, but seeing as a lot of rooms already use the principle of tempvoicing (just with manual demotes opposed to automated ones and without a dedicated message (was temporarily voiced)) anyways.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
RoA has daily tournaments with hosts. This is an independent list of roomauth so not all hosts are auth. sometimes they are temp drivered for the duration of the event or added to a list of bot perms and it is removed when the event is over. This temp voice status is useful for rooms that have regular events in the sim because as a status, it is intended for temporary use, distinguishes the host(s) from the rest of the userbase, and can be used by bots as a usergroup for permissions that a host may need.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
If it's for a game, I'd probably recommend using groupchats. I've been meaning to switch most games over to making their own game room (like a groupchat) (would solve a lot of tournament spam issues, too) instead of doing it all in the main room.

The "Player" and "Host" ranks in game rooms are supposed to be this – a user with special privileges in a game. They're "temporary" in that they're only supposed to appear in temporary rooms (game rooms and groupchats).

If you really want temporary ranks in permanent rooms, I do like repurposing "Player" and "Host" for this. But how long? All ranks are temporary if you just demote them afterwards.

If it's for a game, I'd probably recommend using groupchats. I've been meaning to switch most games over to making their own game room (like a groupchat) (would solve a lot of tournament spam issues, too) instead of doing it all in the main room.

The "Player" and "Host" ranks in game rooms are supposed to be this – a user with special privileges in a game. They're "temporary" in that they're only supposed to appear in temporary rooms (game rooms and groupchats).

If you really want temporary ranks in permanent rooms, I do like repurposing "Player" and "Host" for this. But how long? All ranks are temporary if you just demote them afterwards.
I think repurposing the player and host roles could work, although I think the rooms mentioned have these events in their main room. I understand how these player/host roles work, and if these could be used to distinguish an actual promo from someone hosting/playing a game, it could really help.

Asheviere

Banned deucer.
I'm not exactly against the idea of this but I just don't personally see a logistically feasible way to implement this. Especially the idea of temporarily and how the server keeps track of this should be defined better. Maybe someone else sees a way but it's not exactly trivial to implement from where I'm at. Tons of non obvious decisions and parts of the implementation.

I'm not exactly against the idea of this but I just don't personally see a logistically feasible way to implement this. Especially the idea of temporarily and how the server keeps track of this should be defined better. Maybe someone else sees a way but it's not exactly trivial to implement from where I'm at. Tons of non obvious decisions and parts of the implementation.
I feel it's worth pointing out that even a version that just affects the message displayed (User x was temporarily promoted to roomvoice by mod/ro) would help in some of the cases. If anything bigger is too complicated to implement.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
To really implement this, I need a better understanding of what sort of situation you would want to use this instead of a subroom-groupchat.

The Player rank seems to me like it would pretty well approximate "temporary roomvoice".

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
A reason to having it in the main room is that it consolidates traffic to the main room, which makes for easier engagement and staffing. Rooms that have these events frequently that are hosted by non-auth are a situation that could use this. Subrooms also create avenues of people interacting that is affiliated with the room, which depending on individual room policy, can create an obligation to staff them simultaneously with the main room. A similar idea involving subrooms has been brought up once in Game Corner auth discussion and it was decided against for those reasons. I can't speak to any other room's policy though I know that Battle Dome uses groupchats, but I recall only seeing them used for smaller games such as 1v1s.

Using a gc is viable for most rooms, but for rooms where the whole bread and butter is hosting and playing these games it makes little sense. Trivia as a room has no purpose if all its games are played in group chats, after all.

Similarly smaller rooms want their room to be active, not some group chat that a newbie wouldnt immediately look at.

I see the point being made, but the fact is that for the rooms that aren't consistently 100+ users, making a group chat for every minigame or event just doesnt help the room in the way hosting it normally would, I think. We've experimented with hosting our games in srgc before and usually it just meant a rather dead game cause people cant be bothered to join.

Tldr subroomchats work for big or non dedicated rooms but for smaller and or rooms where the games are the focus of the room it's not the most useful way of doing things as it detracts from the rooms actual activity, imo.

Kennedy

up the reds
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
room whitelist can probably cover most of the issues here now? I don't think there's any real case for tempvoice to be a thing anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)