Pending Add the "tiervalidity=" argument to /challenge and /tour rules (or more generally battlerules)

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
The idea of this argument is being able to play any metagame with the validator of any other metagame. For example:
/challenge gen5ou @@@ tiervalidity=gen8ou
Would use the gen8ou team legalities validator, but the game would be played with gen5 mechanics. The tiervalidity= argument would also override the gen5ou ruleset, so /challenge gen5ou @@@ tiervalidity=gen8ou and /challenge gen5ubers @@@ tiervalidity=gen8ou would do the same thing.

I would also suggest to make additional arguments compatible with it, if possible, like this:
/challenge gen5ou @@@ tiervalidity=gen8ou, -Heatran
which would just add a Heatran ban from the gen8ou ruleset.

There are multiple reasons why this could be interesting:
-There is currently no way to do what tiervalidity= could do. For example, if i want to do a tournament or challenge someone with Corviknight in gen5ou, i will have to play in gen5customgame. /challenge gen5ou @@@ +future and /challenge gen5ou @@@ +Corviknight do not work, since Corviknight learns no moves in gen5. The obtainable argument with gen5custombattle doesn't fix that either.

-There is no need to implement future gen moves in old gens: it already is possible to use moves in generations where they don't exist through customgame formats. Of course, their mechanics can change or they can even straight up not work, but there is in my opinion no point to fix that anyway, since we can't assume how moves/items/etc would work in metagames where they aren't supposed to exist.

-Messing with rules in roomtours is always fun, and tiervalidity= adds some new possibilities for those. I remember once when we tried to create a gen5ou tournament with gen8ou legalities in the OU room, and we eventually realised this is probably impossible. We also sometimes do fun tournaments in the National Dex and French rooms, and those rooms maybe would occasionally use the tiervalidity= argument.

-They might not being considered relevant enough to matter in this decision, but microcommunities built around metas with a specific ruleset could really enjoy tiervalidity= being implemented. The only one that come to my mind right now is modern gen1 (which is basically gen8nationaldex ruleset+their own banlist with gen1 mechanics), but i imagine stuff like triple battles with gen8 legalities maybe see a little play too.

TL:DR; tiervalidity= is an argument that would allow to play a metagame with the team validator (or whatever this is called) from an other metagame. I am not suggesting to implement future gen mechanics in older gens: i am very well aware certain items or moves works differently or do not work at all when used in generations they aren't supposed to exist on PS: we cannot assume how they would work anyway.

edit: and no, gen5ou @@@ gen8ou doesn't work.

Last edited:

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
Related to this, if you want to play with a OM mechanic, 95% of them will also impose their banlist instead of just adding the mechanic. It would be great to just add the mechanic to the tier instead of literally every clause existing in it.

/challenge nationaldexag@@@gen8camomons,+allitems, +Goodra, +Mr. Mime, +Latias-Mega, +Quagsire, +Magearna, +Regieleki, +Victini, +Carbink, +Ferrothorn, +Blaziken-Mega, +Florges, +Glastrier, +Nidorino, +Tapu Lele, +Togekiss, +Zeraora, +Rhyperior, +Spiritomb, +Cubone, +Zarude, +Prinplup, +Salamence, +Lopunny-Mega, +Rillaboom, +Zapdos, +Hoopa-Unbound, +Eiscue-Noice, +Milotic, +Slowbro-Mega, +Tapu Fini, +Porygon 2, +Dewgong, +Smeargle, +Spectrier, +Stakataka, +Wishiwashi-School, +Altaria-Mega, +Cramorant, +Blastoise, +Audino-Mega, +Electivire, +Dragonite, +Salamence-Mega, +Kingdra, +Shaymin, +Breloom, +Type: Null, +Cosmoem, +Dragapult, +Chesnaught, +Registeel, +Xurkitree, +Pidgeot-Mega, +Mew, +Rotom, +Heliolisk, +Toxapex, +Celesteela, +Venusaur-Mega, +Sceptile-Mega, +Landorus-Therian, +Dragonair, +Nihilego, +Scizor-Mega, +Greninja, +Rhydon, +Metagross-Mega, +Pangoro, +Manectric, +Sigilyph, +Heracross-Mega, +Bisharp, +Ampharos-Mega, +Wigglytuff, +Golisopod, +Melmetal, +Meowstic-F, +Staraptor, +Houndoom-Mega, +Machamp, +Weezing-Galar, +Snorlax, +Krookodile, +Slowking-Galar, +Moltres-Galar, +Tapu Bulu, +Latios-Mega, +Haxorus, +Aerodactyl-Mega, +Mr. Rime, +Persian-Alola, +Kingler, +Alakazam-Mega, +Lapras, +Camerupt-Mega, +Bronzong, +Flareon, +Silvally-Dragon, +Lucario-Mega, +Sawsbuck, +Gyarados, +Gyarados-Mega, +Zygarde,+Zygarde-base,!obtainable moves,!obtainable abilities,!obtainable formes,+Gyaradosite,+Alakazite

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Related to this, if you want to play with a OM mechanic, 95% of them will also impose their banlist instead of just adding the mechanic. It would be great to just add the mechanic to the tier instead of literally every clause existing in it.

/challenge nationaldexag@@@gen8camomons,+allitems, +Goodra, +Mr. Mime, +Latias-Mega, +Quagsire, +Magearna, +Regieleki, +Victini, +Carbink, +Ferrothorn, +Blaziken-Mega, +Florges, +Glastrier, +Nidorino, +Tapu Lele, +Togekiss, +Zeraora, +Rhyperior, +Spiritomb, +Cubone, +Zarude, +Prinplup, +Salamence, +Lopunny-Mega, +Rillaboom, +Zapdos, +Hoopa-Unbound, +Eiscue-Noice, +Milotic, +Slowbro-Mega, +Tapu Fini, +Porygon 2, +Dewgong, +Smeargle, +Spectrier, +Stakataka, +Wishiwashi-School, +Altaria-Mega, +Cramorant, +Blastoise, +Audino-Mega, +Electivire, +Dragonite, +Salamence-Mega, +Kingdra, +Shaymin, +Breloom, +Type: Null, +Cosmoem, +Dragapult, +Chesnaught, +Registeel, +Xurkitree, +Pidgeot-Mega, +Mew, +Rotom, +Heliolisk, +Toxapex, +Celesteela, +Venusaur-Mega, +Sceptile-Mega, +Landorus-Therian, +Dragonair, +Nihilego, +Scizor-Mega, +Greninja, +Rhydon, +Metagross-Mega, +Pangoro, +Manectric, +Sigilyph, +Heracross-Mega, +Bisharp, +Ampharos-Mega, +Wigglytuff, +Golisopod, +Melmetal, +Meowstic-F, +Staraptor, +Houndoom-Mega, +Machamp, +Weezing-Galar, +Snorlax, +Krookodile, +Slowking-Galar, +Moltres-Galar, +Tapu Bulu, +Latios-Mega, +Haxorus, +Aerodactyl-Mega, +Mr. Rime, +Persian-Alola, +Kingler, +Alakazam-Mega, +Lapras, +Camerupt-Mega, +Bronzong, +Flareon, +Silvally-Dragon, +Lucario-Mega, +Sawsbuck, +Gyarados, +Gyarados-Mega, +Zygarde,+Zygarde-base,!obtainable moves,!obtainable abilities,!obtainable formes,+Gyaradosite,+Alakazite
Just wanted to point out that "Camomons Mod" is a custom rule you can add now, and it addresses this issue for you. Also, this is the case when you add any entire format as a rule it will add its entire ruleset bc more complex trumps less complex (that's just how custom rules work). You can check out /battlerules for the OMs that have separate mechanics (STABmons Move Legality, Chimera 1v1 Rule, Tier Shift Mod, Inverse Mod, etc.)--not every OM has one listed there (possibly for coding reasons I'm not knowledgeable enough to explain), but there are options.

This is an interesting idea but I don't think it could be safely implemented in the way it is described in the OP (at least without other significant system changes) because by using another format's validator you could also bypass checks that the team you are using can't trigger an in-battle crash when it is used there, especially when one of the formats involved is an OM. It seems like having a rule that could override which generation's Pokemon learnset to reference in the validator or something similar would be a safer way of adding the functionally new aspect here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)