Programming A.I. of the main series

Is it possible to program in the A.I. used in the main series, along with the teams of the Elite Four/Gym Leaders? I was wondering if I could possibly add them to the simulator as another game option to play as, so you wouldn't have to play against other players.

I'm additionally interested in doing this because I am curious to see if I can add Pokemon battles to OpenAI's Gym in order to have a.i. learn to play the game.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
idk to what detail we understand current game ai, but something like the hgss battle factory ai sounds very reasonable to create

Well, we can always fall back on recreating Gen 1. That never seems to fail... Gen 1 was so simple to code that it's very easy to recreate; we have better technology now.

Last edited:

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
There's been somewhat concrete info on how Gen 1's AI works written up, which you can find here

Anyways, programming an actual AI to play mons is probably a massive pain in the ass; Pokemon is an incredibly stochastic game, considering the luck elements and how difficult it is to gauge the opposing player's next move, and a game of limited information, so using Reinforcement Learning is really tough. I can't imagine how ridiculous the State and Transition definitions in a Gym Environment would be. It's also harder to explain who is at an advantage or disadvantage in Pokemon since the number of Pokemon left isn't always the best indication, which makes the reward function annoying to define. Most attempts I've heard of making bots haven't been too successful and are usually pretty flowchart-heavy. There's also some accounts that are probably bots on the Gen 7 Randbats ladder, given their insanely fast move selection and flowchart plays, but I don't think there's any specific info on them publicly available (i.e. I have no idea who made them or where to find the codebase).

I still personally feel like the best way to make an AI is to scrape high-level PS replays and then do learn off of the actions each player takes in various situations, but again, really tough task.

There's been somewhat concrete info on how Gen 1's AI works written up, which you can find here

Anyways, programming an actual AI to play mons is probably a massive pain in the ass; Pokemon is an incredibly stochastic game, considering the luck elements and how difficult it is to gauge the opposing player's next move, and a game of limited information, so using Reinforcement Learning is really tough. I can't imagine how ridiculous the State and Transition definitions in a Gym Environment would be.
I don't think it is actually all that tough, just extremely time consuming. Fortunately, one can make time. I would try to do it myself, but I must study Computer Science in order to do so. I WILL try this project.
It seems to me this is a project better tackled by a massive team than by a single person. Google already designed an AI that could play the ancient Chinese Game of Go better than professional humans. Perhaps if we team up as a company when we are older, we can design an AI to play Pokemon.

Hmm. I think a good bot shouldn't ONLY scrape high level replays, or else it would be too biased in what is traditional. I think it should also scrape low level replays, like this one:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8battlestadiumsingles-1060887320
I think all this talk of AGENCY, agency tech, agency this, agency that, is the beginnings of proto-research into how to create an AI that can play pokemon. To create such an AI, we must first play pokemon ourselves and truly understand the game. Both the good and the bad. To overcome both hax and hacks (i.e. P.S. exploits), we must first truly understand them.
In times like these I like listening to Neil Degrasse Tyson talk, I think he gives good advice.

Last edited:

Austin

Schismatic
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This sounds very interesting. If i were you though I would make this on your own server as I think it would be unlikely to land on the main ps server. Have you done any work for this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)