Battle Spot A (Craw)daunting Singles Team

My local gamestore is doing a tournament, Battle Spots rules, and the winner of the tournament wins a copy of Pokemon Sun or Moon.

My team right now is:

Mega Lopunny @Lopunnite

252 Atk/252 Speed/ 4 Sp Def
Jolly|Scrappy

High Jump Kick
Fake Out
Return
Ice Punch

In case Mega Sableye wouldn't fit, I don't wanna be at a disadvantage without a mega. Lopunny also has coverage moves like Ice Punch to deal with many threats.
Togekiss @ Choice Scarf

252 Spatk/252 Speed/ 4 Sp Def
Timid|Serene Grace

Air Slash
Flamethrower
Dazzling Gleam
Trick

Togekiss's typing is great as it can stop a strong dragon easily. For something Togekiss would usually have problems stopping, I can Air Slash spam and either KO or damage the pokemon enough to easily revenge kill.

Crawdaunt @ Focus Sash

252 Atk/252 Speed/ 4 Sp Def

Adamant|Adaptability

Crabhammer
Knock Off
Aqua Jet
Swords Dance

A Crawdaunt isn't common in Battle Spot Singles so an element of surprise could be very useful, especially with a power house like this. Any Mega Blaziken which would otherwise do a lot of damage can be stopped instantly by a crawdaunt, and predicting can lead to a free Swords Dance, giving me a chance to sweep.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect
- Substitute

While I had an amoonguss, he wasn't being picked because the times I did pick him it was nothing but a sitting duck. Gliscor can easily toxic stall many pokemon, making Gliscor great for its bulk.

Mega Sableye @ Sablenite

252 HP/252 Def/ 4 Sp Def
Bold|Prankster to Magic Bounce

Snarl
Calm Mind
Will O Wisp
Recover

Mega Sableye is to deal with the unstoppable threats such as Mega-Kengaskhan and Aegislash, Easily crippling them with a burn and than begin to set up Calm Minds. It is also a great magic bouncer which can stop status effects and other hazards.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Level: 50
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

Thunderous is there if I need the coverage, but hes chosen the least out of all the other options.

Last edited:
oh. You're supposed to have some descriptions of your mons, just what you started with, and how the next stuff supports it and just how it's been doing for you in general, nothing fancy.

Anyways, Mega Lopunny is pretty good in Singles, so I think that's a fine start. It's not the most common, but I like it.

Moves though it really should have at least one of Return and High Jump Kick, both is good. Drain Punch is not good at all because Lopunny is too frail to benefit much from any healing, and Thunderpunch isn't viable because it is another weak move, but also has few targets. Ice Punch is the same power, but justifiable since so many things are weak to it. For moves HJK/ Return/ Fake Out/ Ice Punch would be better. Encore and Substitute are really good to, so consider those. But only together(or maybe Sub alone.) Make sure it's Limber pre-mega, can actually be a huge deal sometimes like vs. Thundurus or users of Discharge.

I like grass types, but Amoongus isn't really that good in singles. It also compounds a huge weakness to Talonflame, which OHKOs Mega Lopunny and at least takes Crawdaunt to its sash. Togekiss can't do anything if it isn't locked into Air Slash, and even then Talon with Roost is usually safe. Talon can also set up SD on Sableye. Jolteon is only a check to Talonflame because of its frailty.

Mega Sableye looks like a good set...just not sure why it's here in the first place. Not really a good mega to use with Lopunny, they have many shared weaknesses like Blaziken, Talon, and fairies. Even if you have those covered it's not good to have two megas that overlap a lot. None of Lopunny's top ten teammates are megas, but if you want a second one Gengar is really good.

Jolteon is a bad mon. Any of the numerous electrics in BSS are better. Thund(both forms,) Rotom(both common forms, wash and heat,) Raikou, Zapdos, Manectric, etc, are better than it.

Looking at your team, Rotom-W seems like a good mon to use. It destroys Talon, and you have grass types covered quite well. It does give you a bit of a weakness to Thundurus though, especially with Gengar over Sableye.

Anyways, I'll try to think of more. This team doesn't seem bad.

Last edited:
oh. You're supposed to have some descriptions of your mons, just what you started with, and how the next stuff supports it and just how it's been doing for you in general, nothing fancy.

Anyways, Mega Lopunny isn't very good in doubles. It's ok though, so if you really want to use it I won't hold it against you :)

Moves though it really should have at least one of Return and High Jump Kick, bth is good. Drain Punch is not good at all because Lopunny is too frail to benefit much from any healing, and Thunderpunch isn't viable because it is another weak move, but also has few targets. Ice Punch is the same power, but justufiable since so many things are weak to it. For moves HJK/ Return/ Fake Out/ Ice Punch would be better. Encore and Teeter Dance are really good to, so consider those.

While you typed this I realized I needed to add descriptions and did one for every pokemon. Also, this is Battle Spot Singles, not doubles. I agree that I should definitely run that moveset for Lopunny as it is a lot more powerful.

While you typed this I realized I needed to add descriptions and did one for every pokemon. Also, this is Battle Spot Singles, not doubles. I agree that I should definitely run that moveset for Lopunny as it is a lot more powerful.
lolz, yea I was editing while you were typing this and fixed it. Was just looking at a BSD RMTT and I'm tired so yea. Yup, that's great on Lopunny. Sub and Encore over FO and IP is really good to, imo it's better. If you can sub and lock them into status you're golden. Also, Lop can stay not mega vs Thund with Limber, avoid T-Wave if it uses that, and Encore(any Thund going for T-Wave befor you're mega is likely bulky, which also means slower.)

Good luck:)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not seeing any synergy at all. It just looks like you've chosen 6 Pokemon at complete random. You also have literally nothing for Sylveon / Mega Gardevoir / Clefable, and Talonflame does a huge number on your team. Not a single one of your Pokemon can switch into a Banded Brave Bird and win, which means Talon is guaranteed at least one kill before going down, unless Thundurus or Crawdaunt manage to lead off against it or something...

You've named the team "A (Craw)daunting Singles Team," but like I said above, Crawdaunt appears to have just been slapped on the team without any support to allow it to set up or beat threats to it. You also state yourself that "Crawdaunt isn't common in Battle Spot Singles," this is because Azumarill outclasses it in every way possible

I'd love to help you out, but I'd end up changing so much that I'd basically just be building a new team for you anyway, which isn't how RMT works. I'll leave some thoughts on each Pokemon and why it won't work below, but if you want to build a strong team to take out this Tournament then I strongly suggest you check out our resources in the Battle Spot forum (such as DragonWhale's sample teams thread) and come chat in our room on PS.

I really like Mega Lopunny, it's part of one of my favourite ladder teams. However, I really like Substitute in the last slot instead of Ice Punch, which is really only good for Garchomp which you have covered by Togekiss anyway. Sub is great for scouting King's Shield from Aegislash, and Wisp / Hypnosis from Gengar, and is just generally great as insurance with M-Lop's low bulk so you don't get revenge killed so easily. However, Lop is destroyed by Talonflame, Salamence, and Blaziken, and you haven't got anything that can switch in and beat those. Thundurus is the best for the the Flying-type spammers, however an offensive Life Orb set doesn't actually do it. This is the only support for Lopunny I can see on the team, which means it will often struggle to do too much. You also have nothing for Blaziken, Togekiss and Sableye hate Flare Blitz and they're you're best so far...

Togekiss' set looks fine, Scarf Air Slash can bail you out of many situations. It covers Garchomp relatively well too which you don't have much for.

As I said earlier, Azumarill > Crawdaunt, except maybe with beating Gengar. Azu's bulk combined with Belly Drum allows it to set up quicker and destroy stuff way harder than Sash + Swords Dance. It also checks Blaziken extremely well.

Gliscor kinda just looks like it was thrown in here randomly. Firstly, Gliscor is best used on defensively-oriented teams to stall out the clock. However in your tournament where you'll be using Flat Rules to simulate Battle Spot, there's a 1 hour timer rather than 30 minutes, so stalling that out will be basically impossible (and rude). You'd be way better off using a different Ground-type like Mamoswine or Landorus-T.

Mega Sableye is one of the easier Pokemon to build around. It has one weakness in Fairy, so you'd think having one single Fairy resist would be pretty easy to do, right? Yet you haven't done it here. I've found Sableye should mostly be the star / centrepiece of the team with the rest being built around its success, so it doesn't look like it'll work here.

I touched on this above, but Life Orb Thundurus does not fit here at all. A Sitrus Berry would make it 10x better straight away, but using a bulkier version would also be good as you have a lot of offense on the team as is

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)