A Colo(u)rful Walr(o)us

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
11. Schiavetto
Giles Corey - The Haunting Presence
Color 4 / Song 1.9

Player's Argument:
Debated switching out this sub since someone else subbed it earlier, but I'll stick with it. I really like how suffocating/claustrophobic this track gets, just the overall feeling of gloom closing in.

My Thoughts:
Black, but significantly more boring than the last Giles Corey song submitted.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
9. Ghostwheel
Sabaton - Great War
Color 3.8 / Song 2.5

Player's Argument:
You'd think this'd be a shoe in for me but I actually don't like a lot of the stuff that'd qualify as black metal (harsh vocals, depressing instrumentals, grating feel). So I'll take this opportunity to show you Sabaton, a band I think you'll have a chance of liking because their albums are historically rich. The blackness seeps in here in the deliberate, marching nature of the instrumentals, the lyrics describing the death and despair of WWI.

My Thoughts:
As I said the last time someone subbed Sabaton this walrus, I've actually seen them in concert. WWI was a very bleak vortex of death, but this song still may be more Red than Black.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
8. Celever
Otis Redding - Cigarettes and Coffee
Color 3 / Song 3.5

Player's Argument:
This is a track that brings to mind the early mornings where it's still dark outside and you should've gone to sleep long ago, but you're too busy just talking that it never happens. Allusions to black with coffee, too. It captures the serenity and peace of black more than anything else.

My Thoughts:
Dope song and I have to give it some points because I think coolness is distinctly Black.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
6. Lord Quas
Behemoth - O Father O Satan O Sun
Color 4.9 / Song 1.8

Player's Argument:
Over the top edge, black metal, dark and foreboding, I hope I don’t need to explain why this is a cat fit beyond that.

My Thoughts:
Great Black fit. I can't say I like it, but over eight minutes it does have some riffs and melodies that are kind of good.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
5. BLOODYRAIN
Okayu - Girl Dissection
Color 2.7 / Song 4.1

Player's Argument:
Black tends to be related to emptiness, bleakness, desolation, and 'dark' subject matters, and I think this is a fit for that. The lyrics fit and the song gives off a 'dark' sound with the deeper voice and such.

My Thoughts:
I didn't even recognize Okayu without doggo. Still worth listening to even so, and you nailed the "dark sound". So I relistened to this a lot and it landed in 5th right before reveal happened.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
4. The Quasar
Will Smith - Men in Black
Color 4.6 / Song 3.8 / Title Penalty

Player's Argument:
I love him as actor. But he's quite good as singer/rapper. Do you remember "Miami"? And "Just the Two of us"? Well, but I love Sci-Fi too. So what's more black than "Man in Black"?

My Thoughts:
Definitely the most inspired of Quasar's basic bitch choices. The Men in Black couldn't be wearing any other color, they need Black to have that sense of authority and coolness. While it's not one of the best songs ever made, I think most people would hard-pressed not to enjoy it.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
3. Martin
Joe Hisaishi - Leavetaking
Color 3.9 / Song 3.9

Player's Argument:
Black is a colour I overwhelmingly associate with mourning. It's heavy and it creates a hole in whatever artwork it's used in, absorbing all the light and letting none go, similar to how the loss of a loved one leaves a hole in your life that will probably never be filled. The falling melodies, punctuated by pauses that are only possible thanks to the 5/4 time signature, combine with the sheer weight carried by the strings and brass to produce something utterly heartwrenching.

My Thoughts:
Not familiar with this piece, but as usual Hisaishi is very effective at conveying emotion and this is a decent dirge.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
2. Da Letter El
D'Angelo and the Vanguard - The Charade
Color 4.7 / Song 3.6

Player's Argument:
I wanted to pick a song that was about Black struggles for rights and settled on this one. Soul is a traditionally Black musical style, but D’Angelo has been merging styles and influences forever (this song has a ton of Prince influence bleeding in) into this sort of neo-soul movement (although he hates the term). After not having released an album for 15 years, he drops this album in the wake of Ferguson, feeling like he wanted to make some political statements the best way he knew how: through music.

when I think about the charade, I just think of this veil keeping people blind to how the world is operating. The song goes into the silencing of Black voices, and whenever I hear the “lines in chalk” line I just visualize this black canvas being written over by a white line. The mention of this It’s bleak, it’s sad, until it’s mention that once this veil comes off it won’t take too long to work through these sorts of things but until then Black lives will continue to be lost and voices continued to be ignored. So whether you’re visualizing Black people, seeing nothing from this veil, or just this like bleak dark core and negativity that’s at this songs core, I think this song fits perfectly

My Thoughts:
Black power is very Black. Feels like a more fully realized D'Angelo song than the one I got in Red. Good stuff.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
1. Oddish
Daniel Pemberton - The Prowler
Color 4.8 / Score 4

Player's Argument:
Black to me can instill feelings of fear and anxiety. It's a traditionally "scary" color, gets associated with things like villains, demons, witchcraft, the night, etc. I had trouble with this cat because despite my interests I don't have a ton of "scary" songs in my playlist, and then I did a little thinking outside the box and remembered this track from one of my favorite movies. I've been listening to this soundtrack a lot lately and this is honestly one of my favorites in the OST. I think it does a great job at making you feel the anxiety and paranoia that comes with Prowler's presence, and the idea to use a fucking elephant of all things is brilliant. It's really unique. I need to stop here because I could honestly go on about spiderverse forever lol

My Thoughts:
Easily the piece of soundtrack I remember most from this all around fantastic film. And while it's a little hard not to think about all of the Prowler's Purple, it's definitely a Black song in how it instills fear.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
19. Lord Quas
Danny Brown - Monopoly
Color 2 / Song 1.8

Player's Argument:
This sounds like a demented rave. There’s something crazy and just otherwordly about it, which is what I think purple has got a lot of, just some cool weird and wild shit but that’s strangely appealing. Plus danny be smokin that purple.

My Thoughts:
Seems less about drugs and more about a guy just being a pompous ass, which is an okay angle for Purple. Don't like it because it's just vile for no reason (vile can be great, I'm no puritan, but this feels lazy).

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
18. Panic Station
Mindless Self Indulgence - Witness
Color 2.7 / Song 1

Player's Argument:
immaturity, cynical and aloof, pompous and arrogant, delusions of grandeur, and the social climber
A pompous song about the social climb by a band that fits all the underlined keywords, but what else can you expect from MSI.

My Thoughts:
I don't know what to expect from MSI, but I guess I shouldn't expect a song that isn't really grating.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
17. Aladyyn
Sigh - Scarlet Dream
Color 2.4 / Song 2

Player's Argument:
Purple is whimsical and playful, even magical in a way. Disconnected from reality, channeling creativity that can only come from within a human mind.

My Thoughts:
This sounds pretty trippy and cool. It might have fared much better if not for the horrendous vocals.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
16. MyNameIsNothing
Emeralds - Candy Shoppe
Color 2.9 / Song 2.7

Player's Argument:
when i hear songs that are texturally dense but still melodically poignant my mind goes to a deep purple, a color i feel is very introspective and this is a song i listen to when im deep in thought

My Thoughts:
I like trippy and this is trippy.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
15. Ghostwheel
Thank You Scientist - Chromology
Color 2.3 / Song 3.5

Player's Argument:
Gonna be honest, I really don't know what purple's supposed to represent. I've heard creativity, I've also heard royalty. So fuck it, we're leaning hard into creativity and going with a song that goes a whole lot of interesting places musically. Either you're really gonna latch on to it or the fact that it's 10 minutes is gonna be a slog, sorry if it's the latter.

My Thoughts:
Similar to the last sub. This is perhaps an okay color sub but would have definitely earned a point as a Rainbow song instead.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
13. shubaka17
The Internet - Come Over
Color 3.5 / Song 2.6

Player's Argument:
getting that u up text at 2 am? that's purple baybee. the last minute (switchup) is DIAMOND RANG$ and technically the same song bc they don't have it for individual release anywhere, but it's titled differently for the lyrics and totally different from the vibes for the song imo. ur waelrous ur call.

My Thoughts:
Purple is the color of vice, so a purely sexual love has some traction. This feels a little weak, but at least it's headed in the right direction.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
12. Martin
Ryo Nagamatsu - Peaceful Castle
Color 3.6 / Song 2.8

Player's Argument:
Purple is a colour that I have a lot of difficulty classifying. It sits at the intersect between red and blue, making it a somewhat complex colour, and I associate the colour with velvet. The British crown is made with purple velvet, so I'm going to go down the royalty route. This short-but-sweet brass fugue plays during your visit to Hyrule Castle at the beginning of A Link Between Worlds. It does a very good job of capturing the pomposity of royalty while having a lovely purple complexity to it.

My Thoughts:
A quaint but serviceable pick (queue glee from DLE). Royalty was a popular angle for Purple but this runs a bit too literal (formal vs bombastic).

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
11. nutella
Exquisite Corps - Tyger Wine
Color 3.8 / Song 2.9

Player's Argument:
so wine obv lol... but also my main aesthetic association with purple is like fantasy/magic/arcane sorcery and this has those themes as well

My Thoughts:
Great band name. Decent song if only because of the violins. I don't know what this song has to do with the arcane, but it's very viceful and that's good.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
10. The Quasar
Prince - Purple Rain
Color 2.8 / Song 5 / Title Penalty

Player's Argument:
I know...no color on title or lyrics. But if you said "music" and "purple", your first thought is that!

"I never meant to cause you any sorrow...I never meant to cause you any pain..." Thanks Prince, wherever you are...

My Thoughts:
I have always visualized this song as Purple, but that's probably mostly the title. Thanks for the jams and memes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)