SS PU 90.7 GXE [PEAKED #1] KENGAN ASHURA II (115-17)

1632000472766.png

acc no.1
1635247338782.png

1635967748698.png

1635967761273.png

1635333399848.png

acc no.3 (96% win rate)

1629118844409.png

1629116051176.png

I decided to try my hand at the PULT and realized just how out of touch I was with the current PU metagame. I got demolished for the first 3 cycles, barely able to pass 1400.

I decided to experiment with stall seeing as almost everyone uses solid balance teams and/or hyper offense (usually on the lower end of the ladder who tend to use unorthodox HO which usually ends up killing itself).

Phase 1) I wanted something on my stall team to help with my Froslass matchup and also deal with Steel and Rock-type Pokemon. Additionally something which can help me checking Water-types.

Thus, I chose Abomasnow. This Pokemon worked very well for a while, helping me climb from 1000 -> 1350.

However, my team still didn't have something to deal with bulky set up CM seed users so I changed this to Articuno and never looked back.

On paper, this team looks like it gets mauled by hazards however the ironic thing is the most convincing wins I managed to get were vs full hazard stack balance teams.

------------------------------------Onto the team------------------------------------

1629118653466.png

ADAMANTINE KATA (Audino) (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 216 HP / 40 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Audino really helps vs the myriad of special attackers in the tier. Without this beast, Charizard would prove to be quite annoying. I tend to play with this Pokemon very aggressively, going for early Knock Offs and baiting the opposing Scarfty/Aromatisse/Silvally to come out. Not only does this let me adjust my gameplan depending on what Silvally we are facing (Upon the Silvally coming in on Audino, I can protect/switch out and they usually reveal one of their moves - most often than not they reveal a move that helps me identify their set).

The double Wish cycle that I have on this team is quite punishing and if you get yourself in a loop then you can more or less get in a few knock offs with Wish and then start to set up hazards.

Toxic is great vs pretty much anything as it forces players to use their Heal Bell / Aromatherapy in tandem with being pressured by hazards.

EVs let you live LO Fishious Rend from Arctovish if God forbid you need to knock off or Toxic it in a last ditch effort.

--------------

1629118672781.png

JELLYFISH CLUTCH (Articuno) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Freeze Dry
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze

This is most likely the MVP on the team. It sits on half the tier without giving a toss about what they run. Haze allows me to avoid that end game demise vs grassy seed Pokemon and the PP is great in tandem with Pressure. Freeze Dry is an absolute god send and lets me threaten Water types and deal decent damage to Articuno's soft offensive checks. Speed is for modest max speed water spout Jellicent. Outpacing the weird awkward Jolly Marowak and Band Adamant Arctovish is cool as well. In most games I do not bring this Pokemon in until it is absolutely needed. I have overloaded on Pokemon that trash Grass-types which is important for stall since they usually carry moves that can break stall apart. Articuno Galar is handled very well thanks to this demon. Ensure that you don't switch it in recklessly vs the likes of Specs Mespirit / Ribombe lest they Trick you and then you're really screwed.

One of the savage loops I tend to create is:

1) Audino Knock off the incoming Scrafty.
2) Go into Qwil as they Knock or Poison Jab and then set up as they switch out to Weezing / Ferroseed etc.
3) Go to my Miltank and get up SR as they either spike / leech speed / toxic spike (I got sap sipper so suck on that,...)
4) They go back to their Fighting type, I can now absorb T Spikes if needed or to Aroma to start the wish pass cycle while hazards punish them.
5) Force them to eventually defog with Whims/Zard and Either Knock or Toxic the defogger.
6) Rinse and repeat (you still have Quag and Articuno untouched and not revealed set-wise so you can see how you still control the end game pretty damn well).

------------------------

1629118705052.png

IRON FINGERS (Miltank) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Milk Drink
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss / Body Press
- Toxic

This slot was originally for Corsola-G however I was very weak to Grass spam. This change was the main reason why I went undefeated in 27 games in a row.

Miltank is nice in that it has decent special defense so it is very safe to use it as a lead bar when the opponent has a Passimian.

This Pokemon gets up hazards and with Toxic, it tends to pressure any defogger. Additionally it came in clutch when someone tried to use the demonic Ghost-vally with Swords Dance / Multi Attack / Flame Charge / Grass Pledge which took my Quagsire to the afterlife.

I use a Physically-defensive set rather than Sp.Def since I can now act as a backup soft check to Perrserker (taking less than half most of the time from Iron Head and absorbing Seed Bomb) in addition to taking less than half from choice band Trevenant Drain Punch which is important. I have never had to use this vs any special attacker anyways since Audino and Articuno cover them with ease.

Body Press can be used to really nail Steel-Types and pressure opposing Audino.

So yes, this Pokemon is absolutely amazing and it is a shame that it isnt used more on stall teams.

----------------------------

1629118732261.png

WEEPING WILLOW (Qwilfish) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 232 HP / 148 Def / 128 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Pain Split
- Waterfall / Poison Jab
- Destiny Bond

Qwilfish performs a million roles in one however due to the fantastic team support, it never feels overwhelmed which is the main thing here. It helps create the dreaded wish-knock-hazard-rinse-repeat loop that just dismantles balance teams while acting as a check to Physical attackers and absorbing Toxic Spikes. Nothing much to say apart from try not to stay in on Charizard while predicting it to defog so you can hit it with Waterfall. it is not worth it, for starters you dont come close to killing it and secondly Hurricane just puts you to sleep. Charizard will NEVER Toxic you as you switch out to Audino so it is the best play to make and then you can stomach the Hurricane and Knock/Toxic start the Wish loop etc if it Defogged. I wanted to use Toxic Spikes at one point but with Weezing being top 10 Pokemon in the tier there is no point and the less times I can force Weezing to come in, the better (i.e. there are other Pokemon on the opponents team that I like to lure in which help me much more than luring in Weezing). I outpace Adamant Gallade who is quite common nowadays and can proceed to either Revenge Kill it or Destiny Bond. You can opt for a faster spread and outpace Jolly as well.

---------------------------------

1629118756809.png

FIRE WATER (Quagsire) (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Liquidation
- Recover
- Curse

Seeing Quagsire on my team always fills me with confidence since I know it WILL be pivotal in my win. The cycle I mentioned a few times earlier that I try to get going allows me to dispatch of the opposing Whimsicott mid-game and other special attackers. This means that Quagsire finds itself in a position to actually sweep at the end of the game. This set has helped me so much vs dual boosting Cofagirus as well who to be fair is not a pain with Articuno there but knowing that you have more than one Pokemon to deal with it means that I can afford to let Articuno die and still win the endgame. Try to conserve Quagsire as much as you can via Wish support and letting Qwilfish and Miltank also share some of the load of checking/countering physical attackers. Standard EVs. I did not want to use sp.def variant since by the time this thing starts, hard hitting Sp.Attkers are dead anyways. You also have a high change of living the demonic choice band seed bomb Morpeko if it comes down to it but I dont think it should ever come down to it.
----------------------

1629118783761.png

POSSESSING SPIRIT (Aromatisse) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

The gate-keeper of this team. Synergy between this and Audino is amazing and Aromatisse finds many chances to come in to the field. This Pokemon also helps me take on the hard hitting fighting-types of the tier (think Reckless Hitmonlee / Hitmontop / Sawk / Passimian). I avoid sending this out on pivoting Bulky Pokemon such as Lanturn and WishiWashi. Use Audino for that or heck even Articuno. Bog standard EVs to help it stomach many hits. Truly a terror.

Unlike every other stall I built in the previous metagames, this one is actually alot of fun and you can exert alot of pressure yourself if you make a solid gameplan. There are many "backup" plans you can fall on if you get crit etc so that is great.

Weakness:

Raichu + other wallbreakers: You have to really plan ahead and avoid situations where Raichu comes in on something like Qwilfish.

Mold Breaker Boosting Throh + Other Fighters to lure and kill Aromatisse by overloading it.

Importable: https://pokepast.es/e3897e6b940c64a7

New Importable with turbo-Fish to outpace jolly SD Gallade and with Scald to spread burns: https://pokepast.es/650bf64b414e7c25

Attachments

Last edited:
For stall, from my experience while playing with this team, it gets pressured by a number of threats in the meta. I honestly have no idea how you managed to reach number 1 on the ladder. I can't get past 1200s with it, and you are close to 1800. I mean the moment you face Stored Power Galarcuno or sub Quiver Frosthmoth and you don't get them toxiced, the game is basically over. Perhaps replacing one wish passer with a phazer would help. Also, Qwilfish set doesn't really work for me.

Sorry if that's not the help or rate you would like to see, but I just wanted to share my thoughts after I played a bit with the team.

Edit: Also, do you perhaps have any replays of team in action?

For stall, from my experience while playing with this team, it gets pressured by a number of threats in the meta. I honestly have no idea how you managed to reach number 1 on the ladder. I can't get past 1200s with it, and you are close to 1800. I mean the moment you face Stored Power Galarcuno or sub Quiver Frosthmoth and you don't get them toxiced, the game is basically over. Perhaps replacing one wish passer with a phazer would help. Also, Qwilfish set doesn't really work for me.

Sorry if that's not the help or rate you would like to see, but I just wanted to share my thoughts after I played a bit with the team.

On paper, Articuno's Haze spam should deal with both threats you mentioned, especially since Stored Power is a joke with only 0-4 boosts, Articuno is neutral to both Ice and Psychic, and Articuno can hit Galarcuno super-effectively. Has Articuno been getting worn down too quickly to Haze spam in your games?

Also, SOMALIA, does Articuno have Freeze-Dry or Frost Breath? The RMT talks about Frost Breath all day, but the set and importable both have Freeze-Dry.

Hi there,

The thing is that I havent dropped a single game to a stored power Pokemon and I have faced plenty, I have Haze on Articuno so naturally you conserve it when faced with a pyschic until their set is revealed, it's very easy to deal with to be fair.

I am not a massive fan of Qwilfish for sure and I also wouldnt mind using something else, what do you have in mind?

On paper, Articuno's Haze spam should deal with both threats you mentioned, especially since Stored Power is a joke with only 0-4 boosts, Articuno is neutral to both Ice and Psychic, and Articuno can hit Galarcuno super-effectively. Has Articuno been getting worn down too quickly to Haze spam in your games?

Also, SOMALIA, does Articuno have Freeze-Dry or Frost Breath? The RMT talks about Frost Breath all day, but the set and importable both have Freeze-Dry.
The old version did sorry, I'll change the wording, it is now freeze dry as it helps alot with waters and the added crit chance doesnt make a difference in almost any scenario.

If the team could be modified so that it:

1) Has additional safeguards vs toxic spam from a combination of Gigalith+Charizard+A breaker like Perrserker or anything whcih prevents me being able to use Aromatherapy.
2) Regigigas bulky offense (regi running knock and body slam resttalk) I have nothing to take hits from it without getting paralyzed and then it becomes a luck based series of events not in my favour most of the time.

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
As I am nearing 1800, I would like if any experienced rater can give me some feedback to further improve this team please. I still find myself struggling vs certain Throh and RestTalk Regigigas archetypes that use more than 1 steel in tandem with them. Thanks alot.
Not really a rater myself, but I have been around for while in PU. Heres my few cents to give after facing this team couple times.

I'll start off with the issue you pointed out. To be fair, neither of the above mentioned (Throh / RestTalk Regigigas) are common and doesnt sound like an issue to me. Throh should be counterd by combination of Qwil/Aromatisse/Articuno. Regigigas should be PP stalled by combination of Qwil/Aromatisse/Quagsire. It's very long term game plan you have for them, but as first possible adaption you have room to run destiny bond on Qwilfish over poison jab (or pain split, if you think you can keep wishing Qwil back up), if you really feel uncomfortable against these type of mons. Poison jab has its pros to hit Tsareena/Ribombee/Whimsicott meanwhile destiny bond will definitely help you out against slow breakers like Arctovish (which i can see being a massive trouble), Drampa (very manageable with your team, well done), Aggron and Gallade (this is really difficult match up imo). At the same time I would run probably max speed Qwilfish, which I have found to be very consistent thanks it to being able to outspeed almost all heavy hitters we got in PU (and especially the Gallade).

To be fair, you've done good job there and proven it to work as it is. Here's few edits on EVs, so I got actually something concrete to offer after all this yargon;
WEEPING WILLOW (Qwilfish) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Pain Split / Destiny Bond
- Waterfall
- Poison Jab / Destiny Bond

IRON FINGERS (Miltank) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Milk Drink
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Kinda nitpick, but I think these little things can in long run help a lot. With the 20 speed EVs you can outspeed max speed (basically base 60 and lowers) offensive Jellicent, Scrafty and Aurorus (this is pretty much a bonus, you dont usually see Aurorus, but you never know these days). 20 investment isnt taking anything away from overall bulk

If you were looking forward to change something around. There can be little room for turning this team into 5+1 type of stall by changing Qwilfish into breaker/straight up wincon of your liking. Not like toxispikes is going to overwhelm you any time soon with HDB on every mon and Articuno being able to defog them off. Unfortunately we dont have any good poison type breakers, so, we kinda have to focus on steels. Why steel? To have at least one straight up toxic immunity + again faces toxic spikes well.

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Head Smash
- Fire Punch
- Toxic / Aqua Tail / Superpower

Last two slots are very up in the air again for your likings. I like the idea of having fire punch as third slot to pressure possible ferroseed (+ it hits hard against other steels thats not Aggron) which otherwise can be quite annoying. Especially if its PhysDef Ferro, its usually automatically switching in. Last slots toxic is usually for opposite Quagsires and Palossand which Aggron cant break otherwise.

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 128 HP / 204 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Substitute
- Magnet Rise / Toxic / Wild Charge

Klinklang is in my opinion quite underrated. The spread is able to outspeed neutrally all base 80's which includes things like Gallade/Passimian. Atk investment is able to OHKO cleanly at +1 the abovementioned gallade (+1 204 Atk Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gallade: 278-330 (100.3 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO). Same works otherway around, if you dont have the +1, you sub while they CC and claim it afterwards.

Magnet Rise is an idea to beat the very common sandaconda 1v1 (tbf you already have Quagsire), wild charge beats Charizard and toxic beats Quagsire. Again, up to you what you appreciate the most in long terms.

Other than that, Qwilfish could also be replaced by NeutGas+BlackSludge Weezing with Taunt to help your stall match up.
Weezing @ Black Sludge
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Pain Split
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower / WoW / Toxic Spikes

Speed is to outspeed modest drampa. Last slot is kinda up to your liking. Could consider corrosive gas/DBond as well there.

All in all, I do like the squad as it is and basically you could give a go for the first set of adjustments, if that could help you out. The rest is more so being fancy or so. Good job creating this team and peaking all the way up to 1800's with very respective GXE.

Cheers buddy!

e: feel free to hmu, if something didnt open up

Last edited:
Latest version:

https://pokepast.es/e3897e6b940c64a7

Thanks to Tlenit's amazing suggestions I've managed to reach greater heights with this, using this as my sole team in this year's SS PU Seasonal tournament and currently in the winners top 4.

1635284549350.png

1635284824052.png

Having a faster Qwilfish than Adamant Gallade seems enough; I don't really care to outpace Tsarnee as I have enough counter measures for it. Right now the thing I struggle the most with is for certain Gallade however I am slowly getting better vs it.

If anyone wants to bounce ideas with stall in general please let's talk! I am in love with this playstyle and would love to now set my eyes on making new stall with dual pressure users, ft. maybe Spiritomb!

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)