5th Gen RMT - Unexpectedness Galore

At a Glance

Team Building Proccess:

I started my team based off a different team I was using, which albeit was a failure, I was quite impressed with one of my team members, CM Jirachi, which had won me many games I shouldn't have won. I was surprised at how many people didn't suspect CM Jirachi so it was instantly the inspiration for my team.

I looked around at some of the really common threats, and decided to put Cobalon and specially defensive Heracross on my team, since I know they're checks for a lot of pokemon(Doryuzuu, Sazandora, Garchomp, Latios, Salamence, etc.). I've used Cobalon before and I've been very happy with him, except for his lack of good attacking moves, which always seemed to do lack luster damage, so I decided to try out a special set which seemed to fit my purpose a bit more.

I wanted an anti-lead. I mean, I could've had a normal lead that sets up Stealth Rocks, but I figured, hey, that lead is just going to fall to other anti-leads like Espeon, Deoxys-S, etc. So why not counter normal leads and those anti-leads? As I just mentioned, I had in mind mainly countering Espeon and D-E. Pursuit users instantly came to mind, followed by them having Focus Sash, which Sandstorm ruins. I had seen on a different RMT someone using a Tyranitar that had BoltBeam to ruin the counters for his Doryuzuu, so I decided to do the same.

With Garchomp being legal, I'd tried it out a few times and loved the idea of revenge-killing, especially since Garchomp does it so amazingly well, however, Latios is also legal. I checked Latios' stats, and they're the same as Garchomps, except his weaker attacking stat is better than Garchomp's, so I thought, "how can Garchomp be better than Latios?" couldn't come to a conclusion, so Latios was on my team.

Talking it over with my friend, I was convinced I needed a Rapid Spinner to help against stall teams. He suggested I try not to be too creative and just use Doryuzuu since it's so amazing in Sandstorm. I figured why not, if it doesn't work I can just drop it.

That was the beta team and I tested it. Shockingly, Latios was the weak link. I didn't understand, he would come in just like Garchomp, he would hit and it wouldn't kill, but he would get OHKO'd. I'm still not 100% why Garchomp is better, but that's okay, knowing that it is I suppose is better than knowing why. So I switched back to Garchomp and have loved it. Doryuzuu also was disappointing. It might just be me not knowing how to use him well, but he was really fragile and if I had to bring him out too early he would lose pretty quickly. My favorite pokemon Swampert would do a better job, I thought, especially with a Choice Band, since almost everyone expects him to be a supporter and reacts as such, but then gets hit had by EQ or Waterfall, which coming from a supporter would do a decent amount of damage, but from a CBer actually OHKOs.

I tested more, liked it a lot, posted the team on a site, nobody responded so I tested more, still loving it, so then I posted it on Smogon =D

RMT? <3

"Rawrzauski"@Lum Berry
Sand Stream
Quiet
252 HP / 176 SpA / 80 SpD
||Pursuit||
||Thunderbolt||
||Flamethrower||
||Stone Edge||

Desc.: Love this lead. Everyone thinks he's going to set up SR, so they either switch to Espeon, Taunt, or try to set up. Makes it really easy on me. TBolt takes out random water types that think they can counter him. I tried BoltBeam but Ice Beam ended up being useless A LOT. Flamethrower works a lot better for things like Roosted Skarmories, Genosect, Scizor, Nattorei, etc. It also helps against Skarmories that are hit with Tbolt/FThrower and then try to switch out to a pokemon that resists the move, and then I hit the new pokemon with a different move for neutral damage, and if they don't switch they're still dead. Lum Berry is very necessary since TTar is almost always hit with a status condition. Even after the Lum Berry healing it's still hit and is almost always burned, poisoned or asleep, but it still works well and usually kills off 2 pokemon by itself. It's also slower than all other weather inducers so there's always going to be a Sandstorm. TBolt is usually a 2HKO on Politoad, haven't seen many Ninetails but I'm pretty sure Stone Edge is a 1-2HKO. He also lols at Gyarados. The EVs are a bit messy, working on them .Considering Rest tbh.

"Moonshine"@Leftovers
Serene Grace
252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
||Calm Mind||
||Wish||
||Thunderbolt||
||Psychic||

Desc.: Absolutely amazing. Nobody sees it coming. Wish support keeps the rest of my team alive, specifically Garchomp who really appreciates being able to revenge-kill longer than it should. When I switch in this guy it usually forces a switch, so I instantly get a free Calm Mind, plus, it's so bulky that it beats most of the "counters" people have for him(which apparently is anyone with Earthquake). This guy has won me so many games.

"Zypher"@Leftovers
Guts
Careful
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
||Megahorn||
||Rest||
||Sleep Talk||
||Low Kick||

Desc.: lol nobody sees this coming either. I usually switch him in on a move that he resists, and so they switch to a counter for physical Heracross, and then they get Low Kicked in the face. He's also my status absorber and main Breloom counter. He also counters popular things like Sazandora, Zoroark, most psychic pokemon, Tyranitar, Zuzurunki(or whatever, god I hate that guy though) Machamp to an extent, etc etc He helps a lot with cleanup and can easily bulk himself up, eat status and keep on fighting.

"Chomper"@Choice Scarf
Sand Veil
Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
||Outrage||
||Dragon Claw||
||Earthquake||
||Flamethrower||

Desc.: My clean-up crew. Whether it be late-game or early-game, he's in and he takes out all kinds of stuff. Even pokemon that resist Outrage like Nattorei and Scizor take a lot of damage after 3 Outrages, and if I predict right I can hit them hard with a Flamethrower, which might I add, does about the same amount of damage whether he has a Jolly or Hasty nature, so I just chose the bulk over 2% extra damage. But yeah, after the steel pokemon has been taken care of this pokemon smashes through everything, and when the opponent only has 2-3 pokemon left and I have a Garchomp at full health, I win. Jirachi helps to keep him alive and between Jirachi and Cobalon I have his weaknesses covered. Considering Double Chop over Dragon Claw to get rid of Subs and such.

"Proto"@Leftovers
Justice Heart
Timid
48 HP / 252 Def / 208 Spe
||Taunt||
||Hidden Power {Ice}||
||Volt Change||
||Focus Blast||

Desc.: Originally, my main Garchomp, Salamence and Doryuzuu counter, however, after being so pissed at Balloon always popping, I dropped it, and there have been three or so instances where I wish he had Balloon because I was positive my opponent would EQ, but nontheless, this pokemon is great. My favorite strategy is to switch in on one of their walls(Blissey, Skarmory, Nattorei, etc.) using Taunt, and then using Volt Change on the pokemon they switch in, so I instantly get a counter to their new pokemon. HP Ice for non-suspecting pokemon like dragons with EQ, Flying pokemon, and earth pokemon with EQ/fighting moves. Makes me happy. Volt Change scouts and gives me great coverage. Focus Blast for STAB and for hitting hard on a lot of pokemon he counters. I won't lie the accuracy hurts his usability quite a bit, but he has no other special fighting move, and Close Combat is horrid on him, especially in this set. The EVs let him outspeed Jolly CBGarchomp as well as every other base 100 Speed Jolly pokemon. The bulk makes it so that he has never been OHKO'd by any EQer, even LO Doryuzuu, which includes SR. Honestly considering Balloon again because with it he's just the ultimate Doryuzuu and Garchomp counter.

"Kai"@Choice Band
Torrent
Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
||Earthquake||
||Ice Punch||
||Waterfall||
||Stone Edge||

Desc.: Another unexpected pokemon. He's bulky enough to take huge hits and he OHKOs so many things that are unprepared for him. Most people think it's the support version and start off trying to Taunt him, but then he just hits hard, a lot harder than they think it will. It even does around 30-40% to max Def Skarm with Waterfall. Unless I'm reaaaally stupid and just leave him in against pokemon that obviously have grass moves(espeon... >.>) then he usually stays alive and is an amazing late-game pokemon. He can also revenge-kill Doryuzuu very well as it isn't OHKO'd by EQ.

This team has worked quite a bit for me, probably because it has a lot of pokemon that are unexpected and have great synergy with each other, because it's definitely not because of my skill(I suck, lol). It's main weakness is Stall, gawd I hate stall. After it gets up SR and 2-3 layers of Spikes I'm done. My team relies too much on switching to counter other pokemon to be able to keep up with stall. I reaaaally want a Rapid Spinner, but I don't like any of the Rapid Spinners and I wouldn't want to lose any of my pokemon. I suppose I could maybe try something like Doryuzuu over Garchomp(meh) or Forry over Heracross(again, meh).

Threat List:
== Have no real counter to Genosect, I mostly just hit hard and wait for LO to kill it, and while it is a real pain I've never lost to it, just lost several pokemon.

==LO Gyarados is annoying. If they don't try and DD several times then it can take out several of my pokemon before dying.

==Stall teams, explain above.

==Infernape. I'm scared of this guy. Whenever I come across him, he's obviously going to use CC, so I switch to Heracross, and then Swampert which is followed by me OHKOing him. For some reason none of these Infernape's run Grass Knot, which is why I'm scared of when I come across one that does >.>

==Buruungeru is mostly just annoying. I don't have a direct counter to him, Thunderbolts don't do much and between Recover and Toxic it just takes too long to kill him for my liking.

Thoughts?

Hi! The first thing to change with your team is Cobalons item. Change this to balloon. I know you think it keeps getting broken, but it helps against things like Droryuzzu and can make all the difference Late Game. It is much more useful than leftovers.

My second change Is Ice beam over Fire Blast on ttar. Genosect outspeeds anyway so this move is useless. Use Ice Beam. This helps Ttar puncture Walls like hippodown and gligar (yes pre evolution Stone gligar)

Gl with this team

Yeah I've already switched to Balloon and am liking it a lot, though I won't lie it's really hard to use :/

I'm not sure about Ice Beam tbh. I've yet to run into any Gliscors/gars and Hippowdon's are usually taken care of by Swampert, but I suppose it would be nice to be able to deal with Hippos, but if I were to do that I would go with Surf so that I have something to deal with TTar leads(which I have had a problem with lately). Why I'm hesitant though, is because of Nattorei, sooo many think they can come in and set up on TTar and I think it would suck having to switch to Garchomp everytime I run into a Nattorei.

Thanks for the advice, it's really appreciate and I'll be sure to test it out ^_^

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Not a full rate per se but have you ever considered Shuca Berry on Cobalon? It avoids the hassle of poppin from weak attacks like Balloon and will let you survive powerful EQ's when you're over 40 %. Just a suggestion!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)