2v2 and 3v3 Metagames

So I've been playing 1v1 for a little bit and I've found to be a very fast and fun metagame. The only problem with it is that it is extremely luck based since you can only use one Pokemon. This is why I had the idea for 2v2 Doubles and 3v3 Triples (in Black and White, obviously).

Here's the current rules for the 1v1 metagame:

Current Rules
• 1 vs 1: Each player will only bring 1 pokemon into the battle.
• Hax Items Clause: Bright Powder, Focus Band, Quick Claw, Lax Incense, King's Rock, Razor Fang, Scope Lens, and Razor Claw cannot be held by your pokemon.
• Soul Dew Clause: Soul Dew cannot be held by your pokemon.
• Focus Sash Clause: Focus Sash cannot be held by your pokemon.
• Evasion Clause: A pokemon may not use Double Team or Minimize.
• Accuracy Clause: A pokemon may not use Flash, Kinesis, Sand-attack, or Smokescreen.
• OHKO Clause: A pokemon may not use Horn Drill, Sheer Cold, Guillotine,or Fissure.
• Self KO Clause: A pokemon may not use Destiny Bond, Explosion, Perish Song, or Selfdestruct.
• Uber Clause: Players cannot use Arceus, Darkrai, Deoxys (All Forms), Dialga, Garchomp, Giratina, Giratina-O, Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Latias, Latios, Lugia, Manaphy, Mew, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Salamence, Shaymin-S, Wobbuffet, Wynaut.

Most of these rules still apply but a few of them should be changed since there are more Pokemon now.
  • 2 vs 2: Each player will only bring 2 Pokemon into the battle. (for 2v2 only)
  • 3 vs 3: Each player will only bring 3 Pokemon into the battle. (for 3v3 only)
  • Self KO Clause: A Pokemon may not use Self Destruct, Explosion, or Destiny Bond if it is the last Pokemon on the player's team. If a Pokemon uses Self Destruct, Explosion, or Destiny Bond and there are no more Pokemon left at the end of the turn, that player is considered the loser. A Pokemon may never use Perish Song.
  • Sleep Clause: No two Pokemon on a player's team can be affected with the Sleep condition at the same time.
  • Freeze Clause: No two Pokemon on a player's team can be affected with the Freeze condition at the same time.
  • Species Clause: A player can not use two Pokemon with the same Pokedex number on their team.
The first two rules should be self explanitory. I suppose you could use less Pokemon but you'd be putting yourself at a major disadvantage.

I adapted the Self KO Clause because now that you have two or three Pokemon, using a Self KO move won't neccessarily end in a draw, at best. The second part is basically what happens when you're down to 1v1 in a 6v6 Singles Battle, but modified for Doubles and Triples. Perish Song is still banned because it effects all Pokemon on the field and you would either need a Pokemon with Soundproof or have the battle end in a draw. The last three clauses should be obvious and were only left out of 1v1 because there was only 1 Pokemon that could be asleep/frozen and a player couldn't use two of the same species.

The Self KO Clause and the Accuracy Clause may need to be changed, the latter because lowering the foe's Accuracy isn't exactly like raising the user's Evasion, so those could change after some testing is done.

Do these seem like interesting metagames? Do you think you would be willing to try them out? Are they better or worse than 1v1?

I don't think Sleep/Freeze Clauses are necessary for doubles or triples, whether it be a 6v6 format or otherwise. Sleep is much easier to deal with when there are multiple Pokemon on the field per team.

EDIT: Well, this is assuming that you'd be enforcing Species Clause as well. 3 Brelooms might be problematic.

I don't think Sleep/Freeze Clauses are necessary for doubles or triples, whether it be a 6v6 format or otherwise. Sleep is much easier to deal with when there are multiple Pokemon on the field per team.

EDIT: Well, this is assuming that you'd be enforcing Species Clause as well. 3 Brelooms might be problematic.
Ah, right. I forgot about Species Clause. I'll edit that in. Even with it though, it's still pretty easy to get 2 or more of your opponent's Pokemon to Sleep. Scarf Smeargle can spam Dark Void and it has a 96% chance to put atleast one of your opponent's Pokemon to Sleep in a Double Battle and just keep spamming it allong with something like Fake Out Ambipom until all of your opponents team is asleep. The same thing could work just as well with Spore.

Trust me--I play enough doubles to know that you definitely need Sleep Clause in 2v2.

Forgetting about Darkrai for a second, sleep moves (esp. Spore) aren't that uncommon. The thing about doubles is that having one attacker on the field with your other pokemon just executing support moves is actually a viable strategy.

I just saw this thread over in policy review, and it's making me pretty depressed. It seems that most people feel that no one plays Doubles unless it's VGC. In fact, do a Youtube search--I would say most PBR friend battles are what you might call "OU Doubles" (no Ubers).

It's a very active and very enjoyable metagame, and it could really use the attention and analysis that only a community as large and as dedicated as Smogon's can provide: I would give my right arm for a good 2v2 tier list.

I just saw this thread over in policy review, and it's making me pretty depressed. It seems that most people feel that no one plays Doubles unless it's VGC. In fact, do a Youtube search--I would say most PBR friend battles are what you might call "OU Doubles" (no Ubers).

It's a very active and very enjoyable metagame, and it could really use the attention and analysis that only a community as large and as dedicated as Smogon's can provide: I would give my right arm for a good 2v2 tier list.
I think 2v2 and 3v3 are great options.

I love them for the very fact it requires a lot more thought process than the standard battling.

Maybe you should make a poll...

Btw anyone knows any servers for doubles (gen4 and/or gen5)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)