SS OU 21:00 AM Vibes - BirdSpam Hyper Offense

IPF

sundown
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys! When I first joined Smogon the RMT section was probably the one I checked the most, so now's my time to try and give back. I'm going to be showcasing a hyper offense build I made all the way back in November and was the team that popularised the use of Dragonite in SS OU, first shared in this post during the Pheromosa suspect. Now that one of the core mons has been banned and the team has been retired, I'm going to give it the send off it deserves.

Overview:
tapukoko.gif
hawlucha.gif
landorus-therian.gif
magearna.gif
azumarill.gif
dragonite.gif

Building Process:
:tapu_koko::hawlucha:
The team began as a KokoLucha offense, a dominant playstyle back in SM OU and an offensive core that I believed would be extremely strong for the metagame at the time.
:tapu_koko::hawlucha::landorus-therian:
Decided to slap a suicide lead Lando on the team, I found it more effective than Excadrill purely for the immediate offensive pressure that Landorus is able to provide.
:tapu_koko::hawlucha::landorus-therian::magearna:
One of the premier HO sweepers in the tier was Magearna, complete no brainer for this team.
:tapu_koko::hawlucha::landorus-therian::magearna::azumarill:
Took a little inspiration from ORAS with this pick, behind screens Azu can Belly Drum up and priority sweep through several unprepared teams.
:tapu_koko::hawlucha::landorus-therian::magearna::azumarill::dragonite:
The star of the team, realised how Heatran weak the team is and saw the value in Dragonite, whose access to Heavy Duty Boots this gen makes it a fantastic late game cleaner.

In-depth analysis:
tapukoko.gif
:poke_ball::poke_ball::poke_ball::poke_ball::poke_ball:
:light_clay: Tapu Koko @ Light Clay :light_clay:
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Wild Charge/Taunt
Staple for any screens team, excellent speed tier along with access to U-turn makes Tapu Koko a must, especially with the idea of the team being a KokoLucha core. Moves are for the most part self-explanatory, however I do have one slash on the move set. Wild Charge allows you to hit common defoggers and generally just ensures that your Koko has some form of offensive presence in the game, however running a bulkier set with Taunt is also a viable option. I prefer Wild Charge because of the offensive presence, the surprise factor (most people expect Taunt final move), and also the recoil, which can come in handy in certain scenarios where you need to get a mon in safely.

:tapu_koko:
hawlucha.gif
:poke_ball::poke_ball::poke_ball::poke_ball:
:electric_seed: Hawlucha @ Electric Seed :electric_seed:
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
Part 2 of my offensive core, Unburden Lucha will always remain a potent threat no matter what the metagame is. Speed is to outspeed Jolly Excadrill in Sand and the extra bulk is extremely appreciated for setting up Swords Dances on mons like Clefable and Tapu Fini behind screens. At the time, Lucha was usually seen in partnership with Rillaboom, without screens support, meaning that bulky fairies were able to come in and knock it out after eating a hit. Screens makes them set up fodder. The stand out move on this set is Stone Edge, which is what I ran at the time for a couple of reasons. Moltres usage was fairly high, as was Zapdos, so being able to hit those mons for big damage was a huge boon for the team. Additionally, it synergised EXTREMELY well with Dragonite, which I will elaborate on later.
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Hawlucha through Light Screen: 144-169 (43.6 - 51.2%)
+4 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 409-483 (103.8 - 122.5%)
SD on the switch, then SD again on the Moonblast
0 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Hawlucha through Light Screen: 144-169 (43.6 - 51.2%)
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 220+ Def Zapdos: 312-368 (81.4 - 96%)
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 88+ Def Moltres: 684-808 (178.5 - 210.9%)

:tapu_koko::hawlucha:
landorus-therian.gif
:poke_ball::poke_ball::poke_ball:
:focus_sash: Landorus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash :focus_sash:
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Explosion
Sash lead with a bit of spice. SD allows you to start pressuring your opponent from the get-go while Explosion can nab some surprise kills, while also providing you with momentum after an early boom. Pretty easy to understand, won't prattle on.

:tapu_koko::hawlucha::landorus-therian:
magearna.gif
:poke_ball::poke_ball:
:weakness_policy: Magearna @ Weakness Policy :weakness_policy:
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Draining Kiss
The hyper offense staple. Magearna was mad busted and this wasn't even its best set which is just a testament to how nutty it was. This is the standard set that was used on screens offense earlier in the gen which really abused its access to Stored Power, and Draining Kiss healing 3/4th of damage dealt makes this thing a monster. Eats hits surprisingly well and could always pull a game out of its ass.

:tapu_koko::hawlucha::landorus-therian::magearna:
azumarill.gif
:poke_ball:
:sitrus_berry: Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry :sitrus_berry:
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
I think it's easy to forget just how potent this mon is. While Rillaboom in the tier is a massive detriment, its ability to punch through bulky balance builds really compliments the other breakers on the team, while also doubling up as a potential late game cleaner with Aqua Jet after the other sweepers have done their piece. Underrated threat for sure. +6 Knock being able to OHKO Toxapex after rocks is one of the most blessed rolls in OU.

:tapu_koko::hawlucha::landorus-therian::magearna::azumarill:
dragonite.gif

:heavy_duty_boots: Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots :heavy_duty_boots:
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Dual Wingbeat​

The bossman himself. Dragonite's access to decent Flying STAB this gen was alluring to me, and I had already experimented with bulkier sets on stall for mons such as Kartana and Heatran, both of which can be problematic to this team. Cue this set, which with Multiscale and behind screens can tank almost any hit easily, set up and clean up late game. Absolutely adore this thing and was really really potent before the set became popular and people started to come more prepared. Adamant gives you this beautiful roll - +1 252+ Atk Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 194-230 (49.2 - 58.3%), however if you were going to use Dragonite now I would definitely run Jolly to outspeed Dragapult.
+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Tapu Fini: 152-180 (44.1 - 52.3%)
+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Landorus-Therian: 194-230 (50.7 - 60.2%)

Threat List:
:pheromosa: - Since this team was originally built for this meta I figured it was worth mentioning, absolutely horrible matchup and your best bet is to try and finesse some sort of sweep before it decimates you
:hippowdon::skarmory: - Phasers are an absolute nightmare for this team, Whirlwind Hippowdon is basically an unwinnable matchup unless your opponent throws and allows you to hit a +2 Earthquake into it. Whirlwind Skarmory is equally as bad.
:magearna: - Opposing Magearna could be hugely problematic as Specs sets still hit like a truck, while set up sets could also get going pretty easily as well
:clefable: - CM Unaware Clef is an L, can't do anything about it but thats the nature of HO really

IMPORTABLE:
Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Wild Charge

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics

Magearna @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Draining Kiss

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Dual Wingbeat
Closing Thoughts:
All in all, I'm extremely proud of this team and what it was able to accomplish during its time. It was very easy to pilot (see below) and had some cool techs on it. If I were to use something similar now, I would definitely run Taunt on both the Koko and the Lucha, as well as Jolly on Dragonite as mentioned above.
This in addition to it being made a sample team really cemented its place in the tier, and was great motivation for me to continue to build. It also made me realise that when people win/do well with your teams...that shit feels good, even if you're not the one piloting. Nowadays people are really secretive about their builds which is unfortunate, albeit justified, so it gives me even more respect for dudes who pass out their builds to whoever asks for it.

Shoutouts:
First off, thanks devin for letting me use his RMT as a template and also giving me a name for the team. You've been one of my closest friends on the site the last few months and you're dope, keep killing it on the tour scene imma join you soon.
AM for encouraging me to RMT this build.
Shoutouts the fuckin Asiancy I love all of you. Not gonna tag everyone individually but you guys are the fucking best. Lockdown was a difficult time for me but every dumbass interaction we've had makes me realise how awesome all of you are, and made me understand that having friend groups like this are what keep people playing this game year after year. Even if I stop playing mons competitively, I know that I'll keep talking to you goons for as long as I can.
Shoutouts sugarhigh for encouraging me to build more and using my squads to peak ladder a few times. You're the fucking goat ily
Shoutouts pj for being a dumbass
Shoutouts SWL/Pelicans/MiMis Army/Whatever name we'll have next week, Jackbox with you guys is always a laugh. Not gonna tag because there's a lot of cool dudes but jonfilch you my fave <3
Last but not least, shoutouts my WTG boys. Even though most of you became draft goons, I'm always gonna rep.

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)