2017/18 (Soccer) Football Thread

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Fifa has rejected Leicester City's application to register midfielder Adrien Silva after the club missed the deadline by 14 seconds.

So what is he gonna do now? Hang around doing nothing for half a season?
yep.
he's officially a Leicester player, but is not allowed to play for us till January. Which sucks since we sold Drinkwater and can't replace him till Jan

I'm running out of words for Messi, when I quit football it will be painful. It will leave a big gap with a lot of history.

Didn't expect a tie vs Atletico, but I'll take it. Don't see us advancing anyway, but it's nice to see we can keep up with them (like we did vs Barcelona a few years back, only to get fisted in the second leg).

The 'Bentancur effect' is already harming Juventus.

Really, Allegri said he's going to be one of the biggest surprises in this season's Calcio. But the surprise will be that he is actually playing in Europe.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
The 'Bentancur effect' is already harming Juventus.

Really, Allegri said he's going to be one of the biggest surprises in this season's Calcio. But the surprise will be that he is actually playing in Europe.
He's 20 and has played less than 5 official games with Juventus... give the guy a break. When Marcelo signed for Real Madrid 10 years ago he was awful for more than a year, but just look how good Marcelo is now.

Man City and Man Utd have been seriously impressive in the PL so far. Still early days of course but those two looks like the team to beat this season.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That Leicester Liverpool game was too intense man. It was only a matter of time before a keeper noticed that all Vardy's penalties are just smashed full force down the middle, and didn't dive for it, he's a way too predictable penalty taker. He also cost me a load of fantasy points by missing :mad:

Very much enjoyed the game though, despite 0 points again. Hopefully now that our horrible start to the season is out the way, we'll start picking up the points, just sucked that we had to play Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool in the opening 6. I think we played well against all of them, and were very unlucky not to walk away with a couple of draws at least.

Yeah you definitely deserved to get something out of pretty much all of those games!

City are looking unbelievably good right now, their passing is so fluid and you can tell every player is so ridiculously talented. But I still expect Utd to win the title, Mourinho will do what it takes to win matches and the defence is looking pretty locked down when it needs to be, not to mention De Gea is still there...

Early days in Bundesliga but Bayern at 3rd is unsettling

Champions League matches were pretty good. Bayern vs PSG should be a good watch too.

Agreed that City/United look like the two teams to beat in the Premier League.

Bayern is so trash now, unbelievable. Doesn't help that Neuer's been out and Müller's been trash for over 1.5 years, but they also didn't do much this summer to replace Lahm and Alonso. Was never a fan of Ancelotti (since his Milan days), and he's proving to be another fraud.

Bayern is so trash now, unbelievable. Doesn't help that Neuer's been out and Müller's been trash for over 1.5 years, but they also didn't do much this summer to replace Lahm and Alonso. Was never a fan of Ancelotti (since his Milan days), and he's proving to be another fraud.
Kimmich is a good replacement for Lahm despite not being a natural right back. The real issue is Ancelotti's over-reliance on Robben and Ribéry, which caught up to them at the end of last season, and has sort of showed this season too.

Kimmich is a good replacement for Lahm despite not being a natural right back. The real issue is Ancelotti's over-reliance on Robben and Ribéry, which caught up to them at the end of last season, and has sort of showed this season too.
Agreed 100%. Lahm isn't someone you can easily replace, and even though Kimmich does a good job (what a talent), he can play other positions too and I'd much rather see him elsewhere. Obviously he needs to stay at right back for now because I don't want Rafinha playing every game, though.

Ancelotti does rely too much on his more experienced players, and given the injury histories of both Robben and Ribery, not to mention their age and mileage, he needs to start looking at the younger guys like Coman. The real head scratcher for me was loaning Sanches out to Swansea. I get replacing Costa with Rodriguez (even though it wouldn't hurt having Costa too, not like Bayern needs the cash), but then sending Sanches off when you actually need players? I don't get it at all. If he does want to play his experienced guys in every competition for most the games, maybe he should've given them fitness training like Felix Magath did.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Bayern isn't bad, you guys are just overreacting (like 99% of football fans do). They have only had 2 bad results this season, one against Hoffenheim (which was a top4 Bundesliga team last season) and in which Bayern actually played better, and last week's draw against Wolfsburg in which Bayern also dominated and deserved to win. You guys are also pointing out the things that are actually fine (the attack) and saying that's the source of the issue... when it definitely isn't.

Bayern's attack is as good as ever, the only thing you can criticize is that they are conceding more chances than usual (probably due to Lahm's absence) which is no surprise considering some players in the defense are different and they'll need some time to improve together. Plus obviously Neuer being out means they concede more goals.

Look at the distribution of goal opportunities in the two games they didn't win:

Bayern is doing fine.

In a long season with 3 competitions, Ancelotti's over-reliance on Robben and Ribery will become an issue, as it has been in the past. They're still good enough to win the Bundesliga for sure, but if they want to compete in Europe, they need to make moves. This past transfer market was a disappointment IMO, the areas of need were not addressed. Does Ancelotti really plan on playing Kimmich and Rafinha at RB all season? Rudy, Süle, and Tolisso aren't at the level that Alonso was at (and I'll admit I'm an Alonso hater). It was a good opportunity for Sanches to gain playing time, but then we loaned him over to Swansea...

But don't even get me started on Roma's summer...

Been wanting Klopp for years, just not sure Liverpool would sack him now. Glad that Rummenigge and I have similar thinking, I suppose.

Does anyone have a list of free agent managers out there (outside of Tuchel and rookies like Sagnol) if Bayern can't pry Klopp away from Liverpool?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)