Other Metagames [1v1] Shut Up Nostalgia

Shut Up - A Nostalgia Team
1573829735634.png
1573829753000.png
1573829766006.png

Introduction
I was building this team while listening to "Shut Up" by Oliver. The gave me a lot of nostalgic feelings and thus I lokked back at the beginning of SM 1v1. There were a lot of mons banned during gen 7. So for the end of the gen I wanted to make a team based around 1 of these mons : DEOXYS-D. The mons is obviously banned so I tried to fill all it's niches and roles. The team worked pretty good for me, except some bad picking and luck.

Teambuilding process
1573829600558.png
1573829641225.png
1573829649653.png

So I wanted to start with a Counter-Coater, because that was Deoxys-D's main role in the tier. I looked at all the available options and my eye fell on Mega Blastoise. A very underrated pick, definitely, but a great one, when you build around it. Counter-coat works very good in the metagme in my opinion, escepially with all the choice attackers running around, like Dragonite, Haxorus or Porygon-Z.
1573829614305.png
1573829681151.png
1573829660063.png

Next up I added the only available Deoxys form: Deoxys-Speed. This set deals with the annoyers that can easily beat Blastoise like Vivillon and Jumpluff, as well as the slow (and some fast) set-up mons, like Mega-Bro and Zygarde-C.
1573829621818.png
1573829689720.png
1573829704257.png

Lastly I added a counter to most of th Nukers, as I call 'em. These are mons that try to end the battle in 1 turn, with a lot of damage, like Specs Necrozma, Zard-Y or Grassium Bulu. It also provides some speed if Deoxys has a bad match-up.

In Depth Analysis

:sm/blastoise-mega:
Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Mirror Coat
- Counter
- Ice Beam
- Water Pulse

Talking about the starting point of the team isn't that easy, but I'll try. This Blastoise is designed to beat most strong and fast attackers. They try to 2HKO the opponent by being faster and being able to take 1 hit. But if they do over 50%, they almost always get knocked out by either counter or mirror coat. The set if very straight forward like all these mons, it's usually not my style of building, but in this case it works. Max HP and defense with a Bold nature allow it to eat most of the physical attacks in the tiers that aren't Z and/or super-effective. Its good naturla SpDef in combination with a lot of nice resistances also allow it to beat some special attackers like Genesect, Primarina and unboosted Meloetta. The best part about this mon is it's great natural Special Attack and a good ability. This allows it to do 2 import things: 1) It can still hit a lot of mons for a lot of damage. Whit Mega Launcher boosted Water Pulse Blastoise can hit Grounds, Rocks and Fires. So it gives the team an edge against a lot of sturdy's like Donphan and Golem. Ice beam is used as a coverage moves for Flying mons and Bulky Grasses. It also helps in the wrng pick against Vivillon and Jumpluff, if they miss their sleep moves. And 2) it can bluff the offensive Fake Out + Hydro Cannon set, this gives me the edge in match-ups, where the opponent is very weak to this set, so the pick can be predicted. Also do the moves have secondary effects which have saved my butt a lot of times to ease the battle or even hax the opponent to death. BECAUSE HAX IS A WINCON!!!

:sm/deoxys-speed:
Deoxys-Speed @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Recover
- Iron Defense
- Amnesia

Deoxys-Speed, the Sonic reincarnation of Deoxys-D. It is an amazing mon in the meta and can beat (almost) all stall teams with Pressure + Taunt+ Recover. Amnesia and Iron Defense are used to beat offensive mons, that can't boost, because they don't have a boosting moves or are taunted. especially the set-up mons are an insane nuisance for Blastoise, while strong attackers are a difficult match-up for Deoxys and Blastoise deals with them. The Spread isn't that difficult: max speed for lazy scarfers and opposing Deoxys and max HP for overall bulk, because this mon has to beat attackers on both sides of the spectrum as well as mixed attackers (for as far as they exist). Lastly Lefies is used to keep the HP up during a long battle. This is more usefull than Wiki Berry, because it helps a lot more against mid/late-game HAX like Status.

:sm/sawk:
Sawk (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Ice Punch
- Rock Slide

I love Scarf Sawk. This is the first time I use this mon, but I have grown to love it very fast. Scarf means a lot of mons that think they're save lose and in cobination with Sturdy allows it to almost always get of 2 very strong hits. Sturdy also makes it that the defense drops from CC are not a problem at all. The EV's are very straight forward, again, max Speed to outspeed as much as possible, most importanly lazy scarfers who run Modest/Adamant. max Attack is used to hit as hard as possible. CC is Sawk's main STAB move and 2 CC's do a lot of damage to non resisted mons. Poison Jab is there for Fairies and some grasses. Ice Punch Pairs very good with CC: hitting the resistant Flying types as well as Grounds, Dragons and Grasses. These include, but are not limited to: Lando-I/T, Garchomp, Zygarde, Dragonite, Haxorus, Jumpluff and Altaria. In the last slot I jhad to make choice between Fire Punch for Scizor, Durant and Ferro, or Rock Slide for Zard. I opted for Rock Slide, because Zard is always a nuisance and the other team members can deal with the fire-weak mons.

Conclusion
I really miss Deoxys-Defense, but like this team. Blastoise is an underrated mon and counter-coat an underrated strategy. I hope 1v1 will be as much fun in SwoShi as it is right now. I will miss these mons, because they won't be there. So enjoy them as long as this lasts.​

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hi, I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least 3 lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

edit: unlocked

Last edited:

Cantius

I COULD BE BANNED!
Hello! I have a few suggestions:

:sm/blastoise-mega:
New EVs: 232 HP / 8 Def / 156 SpD / 112 Spe; Bold Nature
112 Spe EVs always make Mega Blastoise outspeed Donphan, and the rest is poured into Defense. The defensive investment is kind of complicated, but it is what I could come up with to fulfill the following conditions:
  • Odd HP
  • As much HP as possible
  • SpD is greater than Def to prevent Genesect from getting a Download boost
  • Maximize Defense
  • Survives Mega Charizard Y's Solar Beam and Choice Specs Genesect's Thunderbolt (without a Download boost)
:sm/sawk:
Rock Slide -> Thunder Punch
This is to prevent your team from losing to Mega Gyarados. Deoxys-S doesn't have enough bulk to live two Crunches even after Iron Defense boosts, and Mega Blastoise does not have much to threaten it while Mega Gyarados sets up Dragon Dance. Meanwhile Mega Gyarados can avoid super effective damage from Close Combat by not Mega Evolving, and Rock Slide's damage is unimpressive and can be answered by Mega Evolving. Your other team members already beat Mega Charizard X and Y.

New EVs: 20 HP / 56 Atk / 180 Def / 252 Spe; Jolly Nature
Mega Gyarados can tank a Close Combat even when it has Mega Evolved, and it threatens to KO back. I recommend this EV spread as an optimized way to avoid being OHKOed by it:
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Waterfall vs. -1 20 HP / 180 Def Sawk: 250-295 (84.4 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Alternatively, you could use 224 or 232 Spe EVs with a Jolly Nature to move more EVs into Atk while still outspeed Mega Gyarados at +1 and Modest Choice Scarf Tapu Lele, respectively.

Earthquake / Fire Punch?
This is separate from Thunder Punch because other matchups are less important than Mega Gyarados. But you still have less moveslots than Sawk than you want to cover major threats. You could use Fire Punch to beat Mega Scizor, which uses Bug Bite to break through Deoxys-S and sets up Curse in Mega Blastoise's face, or Earthquake to defeat Choice Band Victini, which is too powerful for either Mega Blastoise or Deoxys-S to handle. Note that if you are running Earthquake, you should be running less Speed and more Attack like I said above to ensure a 2HKO against bulky Victini.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)