Skeledirge @ Weakness Policy
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 52 SpD / 108 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
- Torch Song / Blast Burn
Donphan @ Liechi Berry
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 4 HP / 176 Atk / 76 Def / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 SpD
- Ice Shard
Clawitzer @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mega Launcher
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 192 HP / 48 Def / 168 SpA / 100 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Mud Shot
- Aura Sphere / Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
Skeledirge is a powerful mon that pairs very well with Donphan's Ground typing to cover some of the threats to it, namely being bulky Fairy types like Sylveon and Azumarill (Belly Drum is a 50/50 between Encore and Hex after using Wisp though!), Grass types, and other threats like Annihilape and Corviknight, as well as providing added pressure against other big mons like Iron Hands, Iron Valiant, and Ting-Lu.
- The physical bulk survives a Band Knock Off from Jolly Meowscarada.
- The special bulk survives a Shadow Ball from non-Specs Gholdengo.
- The speed is mostly just leftovers that I dumped there for giving yourself as much of an edge vs other Skeledirge as possible. You could shave off a little bit of bulk if you want to outspeed Donphan reliably, but that ofc means the above hits would become rolls, so I leave that for you to decide.
Donphan is the star of the show here. Now while it would be easy to just slap a Band on there and call it a day, I wanted to try out something unique with the combination of Counter + its newly acquired move Encore, and I am delighted to say that it is actually a pretty killer combo! The ability to lock your opponent into the crummy move they used to play around Sturdy makes Donphan hard to break, while simultaneously a stronger hit will just get deflected by Counter or result in boosting your Earthquake for the KO.
- The physical bulk ensures that Donphan survives a Play Rough into Aqua Jet from Azumarill.
- The reduced special bulk makes it very likely that most special hits will drop Donphan into Liechi range.
- The speed is cranked to give you as good of a chance against opposing Donphan as possible, in addition to outspeeding most Skeledirge and Sylveon.
- The Atk has everything else dumped into it for maximizing the damage from your attacks.
- If status conditions end up becoming a problem, you very well could opt for swapping out the Liechi Berry for a Lum Berry, though choosing between the two really just depends on what you're encountering at a given moment in time.
Most people would consider Clawitzer as one of the many quirky Water types that this gen has to offer and just dismiss it without giving it a second thought, but for the team's weaknesses to mons like Iron Bundle, Salamence, Rotom-Heat, and an annoyingly fast Skeledirge with Wisp that I struggled with in a prior version, Clawitzer helped to handle them while also doubling as a fun third that a lot of people on ladder don't really think about or have good answers to.
- The special bulk survives a +3 Dark Pulse from Weakness Policy Chi-Yu after Calm Mind.
- The physical bulk survives a Protosynthesis boosted Close Combat from Great Tusk most of the time.
- The speed outpaces Modest Gholdengo after Mud Shot.
- The SpA is leftovers to make KOing Chi-Yu with Hydro Pump as reliable as possible.