10 years since 2012 doomsday

If I've got my calendar trivia right, the end of the world part relates back to the superstition around the number 13. Because the ratio between solar years and lunar months is between 1:12 and 1:13, 13 became a mystically associated outlier across several cultures (apparently, few figured out 19:235 when crafting their mythology). If I remember correctly, the Mayan calendar inscriptions were much more generic "stuff's going to change" at the conclusion of the 13th cycle, and we just collectively decided that meant the world was going to end.

I believe in the end. The end of this post. But does it truly exist? Does it truly end? Some may say it does, and they're probably right. Now say this post doesn't end. What then? Now put this into the terms of the universe. I believe in the end. The end of the universe. But does it truly exist? Does it truly end? Some may say that the universe ends, and they're likely right. Now say it doesn't end. What then? Or if it ends far into the future when humans and their descendants no longer exist, when did the universe end? In a way, you could say that the universe ended for the human race once we all died out. You could also say it didn't end, because no-one was around to see it. If consciousness no longer exists when something happens, then we can't really prove it happened. Sure, if consciousness existed after we can take the evidence of the past events and put those to test. We can't take evidence of future events and put those to the test to see what's gonna happen. The best we can do is make predictions as to what will happen, and we fail at that all the time with weather, something that we can barely predict a couple days in advance. So in the end, we can't know that the universe will end. We can take educated guesses and probably be right, but all in all we have no clue. Human consciousness will be gone by then, so we have no way to tell if the universe really ends. One thing we do know ends is this poat though. Good day.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RMT Leader
It was quite an interesting day, I had watched the movie 2012 and as a kid I'm like this is definitely going to happen, scared out of my mind. Then my dad told me about something called a Rapture, where people are just gonna start disappearing and only thing would be left is their clothes.

Kind of like that DBZ episode where Cell is just absorbing people:

1671637914065.png

Hot take: the 2011 one was better because I posted on Facebook for that one and seem to have never mentioned the 2012 event because I was too busy bragging about getting my first car
This opinion is 100% facts according to the official failed end of the world prediction tier list December 2022

S
Y2k -
worst part about y2k is that it didnt actually happen
A
Chen Tao -
this one was soooo based like u can buy your way onto a ufo to escape the rapture???
Joanna SouthCott - I think its funny that the entire scare was caused by schizophrenia
Prophet Hen of Leeds - im pretty sure this is the reason that Chick-fill-a exists
B
Harold Camping 2011 -
Kinda mid ngl, he had already predicted prior and didnt really have anything new.
Millerism - ngl im pretty sure William Miller was just a massive troll irl and wanted to get some funnies
C
Halley's Comet Panic -
Literally a meteor that couldve hit earth, boring af
Great Fire of London - Unlike the streets of London, this prediction was not very hot
Johannes Stoffler - If you wanted a reason to make a massive boat just go fishing (smh my head)
D
2012 Mayan Apocalypse -
If 2012 the movie didnt exist this shit would not be talked about. Its also not a very funny way to end the world

honestly, I don't remember anything about the hypothetical 2012 doomsday event, probably because I didn't pay attention to that, I was probably too fixated on stuff on Nick Jr, Angry Birds, and Video Games on the Wii

LBDC

From Eu to the Mont-Saint-Michel
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On this day 10 years ago, the world was supposed to end. What did you do since then? Do you still remember the day? Did you believe in the end?
Wut? It has been 10 years? i still didn't forget it, lmao...

At this time, I didn't even had 10 yet and despite this, I remember this "theory" very well. Perhaps because it was mysterious and odd. Oh because it was way more exciting to me than anything else at the time too lol.

Strangely, I had school this exact day. Since it was a Friday, the holidays were the following day. I really really hoped that the world wasn't going to be destroyed lol. We talked about it to the professor and other school people.

Thankfully, the world didn't get destroyed and I enjoyed the holidays. Better than nothing hehe

Strangely, I had school this exact day. Since it was a Friday, the holidays were the following day. I really really hoped that the world wasn't going to be destroyed lol. We talked about it to the professor and other school people.
I actually skipped school that day and helped my mother with picking a Christmas tree and bringing it home. Was 12 back then, didn't believe in it but found it fun and interesting. That day I watched the 6pm news and they had a big segment on how people all over the world did some weird rituals, like there was a large group of new age cultists at Stonehenge who said the world will end at sundown. They still coped with saying that it will happen when they were interviewed after dark broke

I think that was kinda the end for the whole new age movement. Peaked at 2000 and slowly dwindled down until it's final prediction never came true. I suppose they might come back in the 2030s, when that one meteor is gonna come close to earth. Always found that esoterics shit interesting, albeit it's more the weird cultists then their believes that fascinates me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)