The Outsiders Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Outsiders Challenge
By Harsha. Inspired by the Dark Horse Project. Image by Fatecrashers.

Introduction & Rules
We should all know that our BW OU tier is dominated by strategies such as sand and rain abuse, as well as deadly VoltTurn teams. However, that's not necessarily all there is to this beautiful and diverse tier! In an effort to liven up OU and add a bit of diversity, I thought a fun challenge would be worthwhile! First, let's take a look at the top 10 Pokemon in the 1337 usage statistics.
  1. Tyranitar
  2. Scizor
  3. Politoed
  4. Rotom-W
  5. Dragonite
  6. Heatran
  7. Jirachi
  8. Terrakion
  9. Landorus
  10. Celebi
Many of us should know these Pokemon very well already, and why wouldn't we? We see them everywhere. Well, this is where the challenge comes into play. For one month, The Outsiders Challenge will take place. In this challenge, you will be laddering on Pokemon Online's Smogon University server with a team of 6 Pokemon, and none of them may be in the top 10 of the 1337 usage statistics (that is, those listed above). Keep in mind that this outlaws the use of Tyranitar's Sand Stream and Politoed's Drizzle. Of course, this is by no means an impossible task, just a way to recognize those Pokemon that are in the lower rungs of OU. Additionally, when one breaks 1400, they will be prompted to post a screenshot of their laddering achievement. This is not only to prove that creativity is not dead, but it is also a chance to showcase your laddering skills!

Rules (Part 2)
Okay so we're not done with the rules yet, sorry! Before you hit the ladder with your amazing team, I would love it if you could please fill out a form to help us keep track of your laddering escapades!
Registry Form said:
PO alt used when laddering: harsha2014
Type of team: balance
Ladder standing: 1000
This is to help me keep track of our current leaders! Updating your standing after peaking is usually a good idea, and taking screenshots frequently after getting high on the ladder is also recommended. After achieving a qualifying ranking (1400+), post here with your screenshot and an importable of your team so we can see what ways you are using to be creative! By the way, you must start a new laddering alt for each team you make, and you must start with an alt of 1000 points or lower. Remember, this is supposed to be fun and challenging, and cheating is no way to promote that!

Now, some tips for discussion:
  • Feel free to post an importable of your team and point out weaknesses to see how people would go about fixing them. However, this is not the build-me-a-team project! You should be trying to be as self-sufficient as possible!

• Feel free to discuss current trends in the metagame and good Pokemon that readily combat them! This will help others that are attempting the challenge and can help in promoting diversity!

• Try and be helpful when addressing other people's problems! You would want help when you hit a rut, wouldn't you?
And that's all folks! Feel free to sign up, and good luck!

Skyshayde - Materialist
The QWAZ - finlay
McMeghan - McPollo - [1500+] - McMeghan's Discussion
ToF - hate on itttt
Furai - Brute
ginganinja - Outsider
HiipFire - imdabes
MetaGross66 - Pokmi - [1400-1449] - MetaGross66's Discussion
Omicron - TaiYang
Tomahawk9 - The Notorious SMALL
I AM BATMAN LOL - I AM THE META
toshimelonhead - toshioutsider
Karpman - Fake spit
Marble101 - AnataNoHaha
bubbly - angryredballoon
AOPSUser - Pokii
corYBird - cornbird
XcRunner - Lillisun
Mafeking - IncredibleMisfit
winterpetrel - winterpetrel_outside
Tyranitarphantom - Ttar Ph.D Too Pro
ThePillsburyDoughBoy - DFP
davjoemama - the outsider
DrunkDemon - Electric Feel
nyttyn - [PR]NyttyN
Ossy - Haxachi
ExaltedRequiem - N9NE
Ningildo - FU STALL
ssbbm - OK FUCK U
Wobbanaut - WobbanauterDH
czechm8 - Czechm8Alt
Xanderpitz - Xanderpitz2 - [1400-1449] - Xanderpitz's Discussion
Lady Alex - Ocean of Hourai - [1400-1449] - Lady Alex's Discussion
Lady Alex - Gensokyo
Zoap - Jesus and Pals
ShakeItUp - -TheEnd- - [1450-1499] - ShakeItUp's Discussion
NoJohns - What Is Love
EdenDC - HM02
MrCookie - SirSpiketrap101
HoiPolloi - Wackelpeter
sandshrewz - sandz
Plusle - Lanturn.
LizardMan - Saphir - [1400-1449]
Lucario_Guy - Rukario-kun
Darkstar - Netro104
Novaray - Benelux V.20
Temptation - Izgubljeno
Vemane - MikeOutsiders
Xanderpitz - Xanderpitz3
Keiran - .Keiran.
LockDown - amph48
1996ITO - North Havenbrook
Mamo.Pert - Dark Stall
D.Gray Man - Too cool for school
undisputed - Robinson Cano
Zeo Abyss - Roxas
BurningMan - BurningOutsiders
Expert Physics - Kira Light
mostwanted - Violent_Nights - [1500+]
Bloo - Violent Nights - [1500+]
FastFlygon - Princess of China

Winners of the Outsiders Challenge!

1500+ Points:

• McMeghan [
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    ] (McPollo - 1505)
    Sand Stall
"Gliscor is a beast in the current metagame, able to check a truckload of annoying threat like Terrakion, Lucario, ScarfMence, Scizor and some other."
1450-1499 Points:
  • ShakeItUp [
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    ] (-TheEnd- - 1463)
    Hyper Offense
"Props: [. . .] Fatecrashers for building the awesome team"
1400-1449 Points:

• MetaGross66 [
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    ] (Pokmi - 1420)
    Sand Stall
"I'll admit I started with offense and switched to stall. Non-weather offense wasn't working past 1350 so I reverted to all out stall."
  • Lady Alex [
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    ] (Ocean of Hourai - 1409)
    Baton Pass
"Shamelessly BSed my way up with baton pass ^_^"
  • Xanderpitz [
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    ] (Xanderpitz2 - 1404) Baton Pass
"It took a lot more battles than I was hoping for, but since I was using Baton Pass crithax kept setting me back."

I'll start after the VGC, sounds fun.

Edit:

PO Alt:Skyshayde
Team Type: idk, sun probably maybe hail or goodstuff

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
PO alt used when laddering: McPollo
Type of team: some kind of Sand Stall
Ladder standing: 1462

^___^

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PO alt used when laddering: Brute
Type of team: Sand Bulky Offense
Ladder standing: 1096

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol standard Sun Team anyone?

Regardless ill give this a go

PO alt used when laddering: Outsider
Type of team: idk prolly something offensive
Ladder standing: 1000

Can anyone help me in finding ways to counter breloom? It seems to be the only pokemon thats posing a real problem to my team
Gliscor and Skarmory both handle it well, but it will probably get something put to sleep. If Gliscor comes in earlier and gets it's Toxic Orb active, it does incredibly well against Breloom

PO Alt: angryredballoon
Team style: semistall / balanced
Ladder ranking: 1341 peak so far

Had a nice run at the start...handling rain stalls seems to be the most difficult thing so far without Rotom-W.

PO alt: cornbird
Team Type: Full Bp (not smashpass)
Ladder ranking:1000

Should be pretty easy considering an older version of this team got around 1350. Made some improvements to it though. Should be fun.

@ I AM BATMAN LOL: you could try an acrobatics variant of gliscor, it can do pretty well, but you have to sac something to sleep which is unfortunate.

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
Harsha! The writing of the OP seems to be quite impressive, I wonder who checked it for you? ;)

but whatever we're like best friends or something so giving this a go!

PO alt used when laddering: IncredibleMisfit
Type of team: Bulky Offense
Ladder standing: 1099

Alt changed to fix something.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
pro-project, Harsha! Good timing, too, since Dark Horse Project will be on hiatus for awhile. I will register for this later :d

PO Alt: angryredballoon
Team style: semistall / balanced
Ladder ranking: 1341 peak so far

Had a nice run at the start...handling rain stalls seems to be the most difficult thing so far without Rotom-W.
good job! i think a way to beat rain stall may be the notorious bulk up breloom, though obviously it won't fit on some teams. anyhow, you could try rotom-c which deals well with gastrodon and can perform well as a scout. what pokemon would you say give you trouble?

and thanks for the love pocket and mafe! (i do wonder who gped the op. . . . . .)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)