Smogon Forums

Croconaw Guy
nice. i recently did another playthrough and got a shiny lotad by chance 27 mins into the game, so i looked up shiny egg rng and redid all the rngs for shinies. also, colosseum retail is doable now, and xd is supposed to be too (just haven't done it yet), so got perfect shiny suicune/raikou/entei finally. gave me some fun toys in the frontier.
Croconaw Guy
i've also been looking into competitive advance for the first time in a zillion years. it's changed a lot, looks fun. aggressive swampert and claydol! mixmence!
Sir Azelf
Sir Azelf
We should battle when you're alive. :)

Ive been playing gen 8 ZU, PU and NU. Got to 5th in PU, cos i decided it was time for a PUsade. ;) Have a guess what team archetype i used. You would have loved it lol!
Sir Azelf
Sir Azelf
Also yeah i saw the newer adv sets, some of them make zero sense and struck me as "just because a certain mon can do something doesnt mean it should" lol. However Moltres looks cute and really good. Also RIP sleep talk mechanics. :(
Sir Azelf
Sir Azelf
Also i cant do rng so PKHex it is for me. Sheer Cold sub protect articuno killing battle dome!
Croconaw Guy
it would probs have to be adv, nothing against "ZU" but hard to get into the newer games and esp the lower tiers when i literally haven't heard of several of the mons. i'm plenty alive though, it's pokecommunity that's dead. i use their server to use the PS teambuilder to mock out ingame ev spreads and haven't seen more than 2 people online in months. i think everyone went to discord or something?
Croconaw Guy
what sets don't you like? i've been watching the tournament replays on here on my lunch breaks and most of the stuff people are using seems pretty solid. i tried getting back into it a year or so ago and got discouraged by BP cheese on the ladder but with that on its way out i might try for real because quarantine is boring as shit.
Croconaw Guy
also, there's a good thread in orange islands here for battle frontier. the only way to really be consistent in the frontier is AI manipulation and some of the players there take it to seriously impressive degrees. it's practically solved at this point. but since you can get the gold symbols with less gamey strats i just use those. biggest surprise from this new file was cm blissey which decks the battle arena
Sir Azelf
Sir Azelf
I find PU and NU pretty balanced, stuff still hits really hard dont get me wrong. Still falls against elf strats. :P Also i feel things like ghost attacking wise are insane now jesus lol they didnt need to remove steel ghost resist. x-x
Sir Azelf
Sir Azelf
Yeah most folk are on discord now. Thankfully the drama llamas are gone. Srinator, Lilmudip and a few others like rabinov are semi regular on there.
Sir Azelf
Sir Azelf
And i cant think of specifics but some weird looking sets and spreads. Admittedly i havent played adv in a few years. Stuff like wisp gar look legit tho and other things, so looks fun to play. Even stuff like Lanturn is being used in OU a bit haha.

Then i can teach you lower tiers gen 8 lol.
Sir Azelf
Sir Azelf
Also check out BKC on youtube, his analysis on current and past tour matches in well...pretty much all past gens is very enlightening in terms of play by play and i feel youd enjoy it.
Sir Azelf
Sir Azelf
And yes ive seen the orange islands BF thread. My gold dome team was inspired by it with a sub protect mid reader sheer cold articuno stall team. ;)
Sir Azelf
Sir Azelf
Ive tried CM bliss in the tower with brightpower and its really good, makes an excellent core with offensive weezing (boom/sludge bomb/flamethrower/haze) and a filler like slaking or w/e. Also used a toxic/counter/protect/EQ sturdy sp.def forry (another idea inspired by the OI thread) along side it and it in the tower worked rather well too to f over OHKO noobs lol. :)