Smogon Forums

bludz
bludz
By "know", I meant someone I could actually have a conversation with
Soul Fly
Soul Fly
hey ,as I said, I appreciate your intention.
the intention of my post wasn't to call you a racist but was rather to make a point about objectivity. It's an analogy to reflect the same, don't get hung up on it.

Point being: I will take a racist just as seriously, as a climate change denier, because both beliefs fly on the face of incontrovertible facts and degrade the lives of countless people directly or indirectly.
OLD GREGG (im back baby)
OLD GREGG (im back baby)
I think most who deny global warming, do so in the sense that it is the fault of man. I don't buy into it too much either way. Regardless of absolute truth or not, none of us will be around to see it. Once the ecosystem is fucked, its just that. Won't support life, including us. I think a lot of the denial camp hinge their belief on the fact that we have only recorded weather patterns for like 200 years lol...out of the known, at least, 25,000+ years that humans have been around in current form. Plus, outside factors that we have no control over also influence our ecosystem, just the way it is. School books should really dive into the major extinction level events that are known to have happened in depth, but they don't; figures. You think the dinosaurs are to blame that a freaking meteorite bopped their asses? Not likely. I'm of the opinion that our footprints as mammals is insignificant, but our technology is growing increasingly dangerous to our environment everyday. I guess we take responsibility for what we create, but there really is no standard to compare our climate to beyond like 200 years of records, at least as far as Science in concerned.
Soul Fly
Soul Fly
OLD GREGG (im back baby)
OLD GREGG (im back baby)
Idc either way dude, its not my responsibility to fix the environment. I read the first answer that talks about recorded temperatures. Oh so hot. Yeah hottest recorded in the whole less than 200 years they have been recording. I felt generous earlier but not so much now. WE HAVE RECORDED weather for less than 200 years. Our data is but a mere needle in the haystack of time and space. That's why I can't take either camp seriously. I was trying to help Bludz gain perspective as to why climate change denial is a thing. Our climate controls us, not the other way around. Don't take my word for it. Go ask a dinosuar.
Soul Fly
Soul Fly
you don't care, which is why you don't don't know, which is why you parade around that faulty logic. No we aren't relying on 200 years worth of data. Where do you get your shit from? Infowars?

Do you even know what fields like paleoclimate research, metereology, and geo-environmental sciences do?
It's not just the past 200 years but with things like ice core drilling we have a near-precise climate record of the past hundreds of thousands of years, and through sampling and analysis of corals, microfossils, and a range of other methodologies (which you are probably also ignorant af about) have rough estimations of the climate trends for roughly ten times that period. Believe it or not (!) you aren't the first one to think 200 years is insufficient data. None of this is controversial or largely contested among the scientificc community - you know people with degrees, and actual fieldwork data who know what they're talking about.

The anthropocene is fucking with the environment, like never before. That's FACT. You're not exhibiting some profound wisdom by opting for neutrality, but just helping yourself and people like you absolve yourselves of the responsibility for the havoc you're wreaking in on the world.

Go read. Don't be a smug jackass trying to pass of faulty claims as "perspective", they aren't the same. Or keep believing that shit, but at least do us the mercy of keeping your awe-inspiring methodology to yourself.
OLD GREGG (im back baby)
OLD GREGG (im back baby)
No need for name calling but do as you will. I don't care because it's out of my control, but if your glorious ego allows you to believe that little you can change big ole earth go for it.
OLD GREGG (im back baby)
OLD GREGG (im back baby)
Yeah mowing my lawn is some real havoc buddy! The world will burst in flames and it will completely be my fault. We conserve electricity boy, I hang my clothes out to dry. We don't have a gas guzzler, twenty bucks puts us on full. I clean up the filth of judgmental people all day and here is a fact for you-I accept that I am not only powerless to single handedly improve the ecosystem but also that I am powerless to stop the oil industry, food industry, or the coal industry. We are too stupid and uncivilized to achieve great things together at this moment in time, as a collective. What good would it do???
Soul Fly
Soul Fly
The average american (I'm assuming you're one from context) already has a grossly large carbon footprint, but regardless I am sure you do an honest day's work and I'll take your word that you live as modestly as you can. My beef isn't with you on that.

What ticks me off is the denial /disavowal of climate change. Sure you can't stop oil and coal companies by yourself, but what neutrality and muddying the water foes is that it allows these powers to thrive. Without the consensus of regular folk that THIS IS INDEED A PRESSING GLOBAL EMERGENCY It allows short-sighted politicians with disastrous stances towards climate change get repeatedly re-elected to office and play into the hands of lobbyists into blocking and weakening climate and carbon footprint regulations, disincentivize renewable/green power, completely destroy hard won consensus and compromises on a global level.

You can't do much by yourself, but that's no excuse to fuck this thing up more. I'd say on a grassroots level mobilize consensus and try elect a candidate who doesn't reject basic science. DON'T be one of those districts that rejects wind farms and solar fields out of NIBYISM or some shit. People up there are always hoping that you either drink their cool-aid r feel hopeless enough to be passive about this.
Politicians will only care if the grassroots/base/voter-bloc care.