Smogon Forums

Agent Gibbs
Yes, I'm currently buffering.
Martin
Martin
U should defo come back when u get more time. I always enjoy reading your posts 'cause u always coe across so intellegently, and u leaving was a major blow to the community in general.
Martin
Martin
*come
Agent Gibbs
Thanks, but I'm not sure if I'll ever come back 100%. I keep telling myself I'll get back into this game, but I never actually do anything lol.
Martin
Martin
Eh it happens. I'm like the reverse of that with regards to the forums lol; I keep saying I'm gonna do work but just don't and spend that time pointlessly browsing the forum even when there's nothing unread.

I think I kinda understand why ur interest isn't picking up tho. Gen 6 is almost over and as a generation it generally sucks ass. You may find ur activity picking itself up on autopilot when SuMo comes out, but we'll have to wait and see lol.
Agent Gibbs
I don't know, I actually liked this gen lol. Better than BW, anyway.

I think the main problem is just that I never see my old group of forum friends anymore, and that was probably the main thing that kept bringing me back. Doesn't help that discussion threads nowadays are just downright terrible sometimes.
Martin
Martin
You can say that again lmao

Which friends in particular left? Idk what ur social group was, so I'm kinda interested. Regardless though I'd happily chat to you any time we're both awake and online 'cause ur just generally a really nice guy from the conversations I've seen/been in with you
Agent Gibbs
Well, most of them were people I met during my early Serebii days. I don't really know any Smogon people all that well.

But yeah, that'd be cool. Just don't take it personally if I take a couple days to respond sometimes lol.
Martin
Martin
Oh u came from Serebii? What's the community on there like?
Agent Gibbs
Right now the competitive section over there is pretty dead, and many of the members that still contribute are pretty inexperienced. Back in the day it was a lot more active, though, and there were quite a few great contributors. I learned a lot during that time.
Martin
Martin
That's cool. I've read some of the more recent competitive stuff and it made me vomit from my eyes lol, so it's nice to hear that there was a time when you could have a serious competitive discussion on there.

As a community (i.e. beyond just competitive) what was it like? I want to know because my experience with communities beyond Smogon is rlly limited, so it's interesting to hear what people say about the past giants of the Pokémon community.

The only other site that I'm active on is a super recent one (was made a little after XY was released) which is pretty cancerous in general (the way the site is set up sucks, cancer has spread into all corners of the site and the guy in charge never actually responds to the other admins' pleas (for context, I've been slated for a mod promotion by the guy who is basically third in command for about six months now and the owner has not actually looked at any of the mod applications depsite basically the entire staff team repeatedly telling him to, and he also closes support tickets from users for no apparant reason meaning that noone can ever get support through the system designed for support). Basically the only reason I still go back there is 'cause I have a group of friends on there who are pretty chill, but it just kinda sucks how god-awful the rest of the community on there is,
Agent Gibbs
To be honest, it was kind of like a mini Smogon. Pretty good gradient of players from beginners to veterans. I started during the late DPP era, and the community was pretty good from then until mid BW or so. Then it sorta dropped of completely when 6th Gen hit.

Strangely enough, I noticed a pretty significant change on Smogon about the same time, but maybe that's just me.