Smogon Forums

EnGarde
EnGarde
OH OH OH. Be careful: I love talking about FE:A. And I'll talk your ear off about it if you let me.

I started a "no-grind" lunatic run, which I've paused at, like, the chapter where Lucina is revealed. My personal rules are that I can't buy any reeking boxes or use the grinding DLC, but I may fight the random risen encounters that appear occasionally. So...pretty hard. I'll have to choose at some point whether to update to child units, or keep the focus on my current main team when I pick the game back up in a while (after the shiny has worn off on Smash and ORAS, lol).
$teele
$teele
Wow, that's crazy. But yeah, sometimes you just have to wait for random Risen to appear.
In my hard mode, I'm still trying to have perfect kids and passing down abilities and such, so grindings kinda necessary I just don't have any money for Reeking Boxes. I'm kinda just waiting it out too.
EnGarde
EnGarde
Nope, no perfect Kids for me.

I'm going to get MU+Chrom for sure, so I'll probably use Lucina and Morgan in this run (if I can get MU gale force in time for Morgan), and probably Sumia+Frederick and Sully+Kellam as well (these pairs are very useful stats-wise), though I don't know if I'll actually be able to get those kids fast enough to matter.

My team's MVPs are Fred (duh), MU (also duh), and...Lissa. Yeah, I know. But all the healing I did with her in the early chapters...means that she was the first unit I could upgrade, and now she wrecks shop. ^_^ Totally worth the effort I put into her. Healers are easiest to level in this type of run, since binge healing is possible on certain maps, so Maribelle is also growing very quickly. Rescue staffs are precious, though, and not to be wasted grinding EXP (until I can freely buy them, at least). Having one in clutch moments has saved me from an SR in a few situations.
$teele
$teele
Yeah, normally I avoid using Fred since he's promoted and I want my other units to gain more Exp. But I'd see why he'd be so useful in lunatic.

Even in hard mode, I've been using my healers sooo much so I can't even think of what it would be like in lunatic. I currently have LIssa as a Dark Flier (GF), but she still sucks for me ;-;. I've spent many a Reeking Box trying to get her to the level of everyone else...
EnGarde
EnGarde
Fred is essential for surviving the first 2 chapters in lunatic mode, since none of your other units can actually take more than 1 attack. The challenge is making sure he doesn't soak up all the EXP.

Hmm, as for Lissa...Dark Flier is essential for Owain, but it's actually kind of a bad class for Lissa. Once you've finished grinding out gale force, I'd highly recommend switching to something she can really shine with, like sage.

You have to keep in mind the strengths and weaknesses of your units while raising them. Since I'm not concerned with Owain in the short term, my Lissa is currently a Sage, where her high magic growth and good proficiency with staves means that she can use the rescue staff to pull weak units out of harm's way from a REALLY long range (range is determined by magic stat). Or, she can heal safely from a distance with that one staff...that I forgot the name of, lol. That's her primary purpose on my team. Later, once she's able to, I'll second seal her into dark flier to pick up gale force.
EnGarde
EnGarde
Some advice: focus on using your Dark Flier Lissa with tomes over spears, and make sure she has a cushion between her and enemy units with swords, axes, or spears. She has good magic and luck growth rates, but she has poor growth rates in strength and defense. That means her damage output with spears will be less than with magic (especially once she starts picking up proficiency in tomes). She can trade hits okay with magic users, but she'll always struggle against physical attackers, especially with axe users, which get a bonus % to hit when she uses spears.