Little things you like about Pokémon

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Today I just realized that Carmine and Kieran's grandfather owns an Arbok and a Weezing, which you find out in the Mochi Mayhem epilogue.

It's not that deep but it's a hilarious coincidence that he has the exact same two Pokemon that Jessie and James from the anime owned originally.

Today I just realized that Carmine and Kieran's grandfather owns an Arbok and a Weezing, which you find out in the Mochi Mayhem epilogue.

It's not that deep but it's a hilarious coincidence that he has the exact same two Pokemon that Jessie and James from the anime owned originally.
You also get to know their names through the battle! (I don’t remember what they were but I have a screenshot on my switch so I’ll edit in the names later)

edit: nvm, thanks Coronis

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

I was not aware of this. An impromptu addition to the Pokemon Families used by important NPCS sheet it is!

FRLG are very good remakes imo and it has a lot of little things i like. like icons for items! we take them for granted now, but teenage me was fascinated when they were introduced because so many items looked different than what i imagined. TMs being little CDs, for instance. another little thing i loved was the animation when you used a TM. i am sad that never came back.

To this day I actually still wonder why TMs are CDs... like... do you feed them to your pokemon? Make them watch them to learn the move?
If we take the FRLG animation at its most literal, they absorb the information through their heads after putting it on them.

If we try to look at the other depictions prior to the CD that sort of "absorbtion" is probably the intent? The obscure Gen 1 art for it was a weird necklace/headband/bracelet with a doohickey on the front. The TCG depicts yo uputting a pokeball in a weird box. One of the manga took that idea (or maybe...the idea came from that manga?) and had you put the head between 2 halves instead.
Basically it's handwavey data absorption

To that extent they probably settled on a "CD" form factor because it "made sense" how you could carry so many around and gets across "this has data in it" and possibly why they're one use (see also: Mystery Dungeon lets yo ucarry around the used up dud TM)

If we take the FRLG animation at its most literal, they absorb the information through their heads after putting it on them.

If we try to look at the other depictions prior to the CD that sort of "absorbtion" is probably the intent? The obscure Gen 1 art for it was a weird necklace/headband/bracelet with a doohickey on the front. The TCG depicts yo uputting a pokeball in a weird box. One of the manga took that idea (or maybe...the idea came from that manga?) and had you put the head between 2 halves instead.
Basically it's handwavey data absorption

To that extent they probably settled on a "CD" form factor because it "made sense" how you could carry so many around and gets across "this has data in it" and possibly why they're one use (see also: Mystery Dungeon lets yo ucarry around the used up dud TM)
In the Adventures Manga, I remember the Surf HM shows up in one chapter and it looks like a Headband or Bracelet (the panel doesn't quite give a sense of scale once the Pokeball casing breaks off it). I would guess the simple explanation is that the Pokemon wears it and they kind of learn/absorb the information for the move, akin to when you see Science Labs in movies and they have all those wired accessories on the person being examined or tested or monitored with a Lie Detector or something, but putting info in rather than taking it out.

For the game CDs, maybe the idea is you put the CD into a device like that on the Pokemon, and TMs rewrite or auto-destroy themselves akin to Software installations that require a Key or something to use.

FRLG are very good remakes imo and it has a lot of little things i like. like icons for items! we take them for granted now, but teenage me was fascinated when they were introduced because so many items looked different than what i imagined. TMs being little CDs, for instance. another little thing i loved was the animation when you used a TM. i am sad that never came back.
now I'm curious as to what you thought tms were in the original games.

My own funny experience: when I played my first pokemon game, fire red, I was dead sure that rock tomb had to be this super-powerful exclusive move that I would need to save until I encountered the super-powerful rock guy I had seen some artwork of (golem). I was smart enough to piece together that geodude, a literal rock guy, would evolve into golem, the stronger literal rock guy, especially since i had seen brock using it, but not quite smart enough to realize that you didn't lose your moves upon evolution (I think I didn't realize you could refuse to learn level-up moves, so you HAD to replace something? Idk) So that's the story of how I beat the game with a rollout graveler.

Paldea Fates came out for the TCG, and they did something I was hoping would happen with Tera Dark Charizard.

View attachment 596903View attachment 596904

Shining Dark Charizard is back.
This reminds me, I went back and forth on which thread but I've settled on "it's funny, so it goes here"

There have been 18 Tera ex Pokemon in the TCG thus far and it becomes so clear that they are struggling with the hats. The way they structure cards means they can't be in frame because they are so (1) big and (2) hats meaning the center of the action they're just sort of sticking out the top and behind the top of the frame/text

Even in Full or Alternate Arts! Tera Charizard ex has 5 distinct prints (+2 variants on one of them) and none of them can have the tera crown actually in frame. Only some of the full arts get close and by "close" i mean "the bottom part of the crown; if it werent for her Metal Weakness and "Icicle" attack you wouldn't be able to tell that Tsareena ex is Ice Tera Type without the full art showing the bottom half of the icicle.
Across all of them and including full and alternate arts, only Dedenne ex Full Art (because Dedenne is small enough to lower the "camera" so the heart can be on full display) and Eiscue ex Art Rare (because it's a unique "far shot" pose that Art Rates like to do) show the crown in full.

It's hilarious, I love it.

Paldea Fates came out for the TCG, and they did something I was hoping would happen with Tera Dark Charizard.

View attachment 596903View attachment 596904

Shining Dark Charizard is back.
I wish they made more callbacks like this. There is also Tyranitar, but in general there are not that many to Delta species which is odd given how much they are pushing bringing old stuff back (I'm expecting Terapagos/Stellar to work like the old Crystal mechanic)

Speaking about the TCG, despite how I feel about the design of the mons themselves the Future Paradox trio have some insane art:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Y'know, Detective Pikachu was a pretty fine movie. I honestly don't remember a whole lot about it but it was a cool romp for fans with a bunch of nifty depictions of the funny lil critters.

Well. There's an exception to that.

I say the following without a singular shred of hyperbole: This remains one of my favorite scenes in any movie, a title it won from the first time I saw it. The sense of scale is unmatched, the way the landscape bends and breaks apart, a forest turning sideways and our scrappy band of heroes having to frantically run and jump away from the splitting earth. And then, of course, the culmination of it all, the big reveal that all of this has been the tossing and turning of a colossal living being, its eye alone making the main trio seem puny and insignificant in its face.

Earlier today I watched the 2005 War of the Worlds adaptation for the first time. As far as I'm concerned this is on par with the first reveal of the Tripods from that film in terms of building up to and presenting a titanic, larger-than-life force of nature. It is the one scene I've witnessed from a live-action adaptation of an animated/cartoony property that makes me think "This scene could not have achieved what it does in animation, or at least not to the same extent." It's the kind of scene that makes me marvel at the possibilities of the art of filmmaking, and it's all thanks to the Pokemon I started my 14-years-and-counting-long journey through this series with.

No further comments. 5 stars. Cinema.

I wish they made more callbacks like this. There is also Tyranitar, but in general there are not that many to Delta species which is odd given how much they are pushing bringing old stuff back (I'm expecting Terapagos/Stellar to work like the old Crystal mechanic)

Speaking about the TCG, despite how I feel about the design of the mons themselves the Future Paradox trio have some insane art:

I haven't played followed MtG for some years now and the Pokémon TCG for even longer, but this art really reminds me of Mirrodin. Gorgeous illustrations.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ogerpon_(Pokémon)#Forms

For reasons known only to the developers at Game Freak, each of Ogerpon's forms have a unique set of basic attack animations.
Gotta prep her animation sets to make her addition to Unite, Pokken 2, and Smash Bros easier, obviously

Side note I have enjoyed lately that Bulbapedia's been adding more gifs showcasing things like this. They've also been slowly adding "music" sections to relevant articles, listing the songs played in association with the Pokemon; Ogerpon doesn't have it but Pecharunt does for example.

I just wrote a huge rant about much I dislike Paldea about a region, so I'm going to say something nice about Gen 6. Despite Gen 6 being the first franchise to need to use a paid software to transfer Pokemon, you didn't have to. Between XY and ORAS every Pokemon in existence could be obtained, and if you count the limited time Wifi events, you could even get all Mythical Pokemon to up at that point. This makes it the easiest gen to complete the entire National Dex by yourself, with only four games. Granted you do need to own all four all games and replay one of either XY or ORAS to get all the starters and Legendaries by yourself, but thanks to wifi wasn't locked behind a paywall, its remarkably easy to obtain all the missing Pokemon should you be able to have friends who can trade you missing Pokemon. There's even a special bonus in XY should you complete the National Dex with Pentagon only Pokemon, a nice little symbol as a reward for your efforts.

There's even a special bonus in XY should you complete the National Dex with Pentagon only Pokemon, a nice little symbol as a reward for your efforts.
This is the first time I have heard about this. Do you know what this bonus is, specifically? I tried to find the answer myself, but the only thing I could find was this question and answer on Gamefaqs, which doesn't really give a clear answer.

Speaking of Pokémon availability, there's one thing I like about that when it comes to ScaVio. After the release of the Indigo Disk, all starters from all regions are available in the games, which is something I like a lot. It just feels more complete that way, none of the starters are left out. This was something that annoyed me in S/S, as those games only had half of all starters that existed at the time. I also like how all Pseudo-legendaries are available in ScaVio after the Indigo Disk, that's another group that just feels more complete with all members available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)