Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

I'm all for theorymonning how Uber mons would be in OU, but please don't seriously consider it. These mons are Uber for a reason, why can't you accept that? The reason why stuff like Deo-S and Darkrai were dropped was because there stats weren't so buffed up. There is a large difference between 600 and 700 bst, zamazenta is the single exception because it stuffed by two of the best mons, among other things that I can't be assed to include. Luiga has a bad typing, low power and 4mss by UBERS standards. Stop saying "oh, x has bad typing." Deo-D has bad typing, yet it was 11th in usage. Just because a mon has flaws, doesn't mean it is bad, it means it isn't insanely broken. 90 attacking stats is not bad, they are only a bit below average. Deo-S could get away with 95 attacking stats, so lugia could absolutely.

I want to drop all the things like Lugia and Skymin into the tier for a week to shut up people because the metagame will become a shitshow, believe me.

People are ignoring the many other dowsides of Lugia like bad typing, helpless to every status condition, low power, hazard weak, Huge 4MSS, loss of Toxic which allowed it to break through bulky mons which made it set-up bait and loss of T-Wave and Defog which made it a better support mon..
Why do people think Lugia is going to be completely passive in OU like it is in Ubers? Deo-S has only marginally better offensive stats and its best sets are its all-out attacking ones. Lugia's got Calm Mind and Curse so you can run either attacking type on it and still take advantage of the massive coverage it has (Earthquake/Earth Power, Aeroblast/Dual Wingbeat, Hydro Pump/Waterfall, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Weather Ball, Dragon Tail, Facade, Iron Head, the works). It's got the same speed as Ogerpon and its defenses are so naturally high that it can afford to invest in it. It's still got Recover and Whirlwind if you want to go full defense anyway. Tera Poison fixes its defenses, gives a status immunity, and only leaves it weak to stuff that it can wash anyway. Lugia in OU would not be able to care less about being a Defog user because it's going to be the absolute fattest setup known to the modern age. You really need to drop this.

I literally woke up to a PM today that started with “I know this is crazy, but after playing UUbers, have you ever considered freeing Dialga-O on a trial basis?”
i feel like there should be a policy change specifically saying "no ubers will drop outside of major meta shifts". not for the sake of balance or anything but just so people stop fucking talking about it at least until gen 10

seriously, though, we actually need to find a way to stop people from discussing the topic because it's every couple pages now and even 4 separate mods saying "shut up about ubers" didn't work. should someone make a separate thread for it?

Last edited:
I have faced a non contrary serperior, a gouging fire with body slam and fire blast, a blizzard darkrai, heavy slam iron crown and dragon breath dragapult. All on the same team. I should be writing this shit down in a journal cause this is golden.
We used to have threads for this, but i'd imagine the reason they aren't around anymore is because its kinda making fun of bad players even if its more marveling at how confusing some of the sets they run are

We used to have threads for this, but i'd imagine the reason they aren't around anymore is because its kinda making fun of bad players even if its more marveling at how confusing some of the sets they run are
Oh yeah, you do you if you're having fun. I find it more peculiar than anything, I probably shouldn't post constantly about it since it would be annoying. I might actually make a google doc with my findings because some sets I find online could actually be decent. The blizzard on darkrai hit HARD, so that was something I didn't realise could be used.

Oh yeah, you do you if you're having fun. I find it more peculiar than anything, I probably shouldn't post constantly about it since it would be annoying. I might actually make a google doc with my findings because some sets I find online could actually be decent. The blizzard on darkrai hit HARD, so that was something I didn't realise could be used.
hypnosis blizzard blunder policy darkrai is the dumbest set i've genuinely considered running all year

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Finch: We aren't dropping anymore Ubers, stop asking.

Smogon Users: Okay, but can we drop this Uber?
The reason this keeps happening despite multiple warnings is just due to the sheer volume and speed of posts in this thread. At this point a warning in the OP and/or thread title (more likely the latter tbh) is the only way to effectively tell people to stfu friday about it without it being buried and forgotten 3 days (or 3 hours) later. Either that or mods lock the thread for several days to get the point across which I don't think anybody particularly wants, and isn't necessarily gonna prevent it from happening again anyway.

It gets progressively more difficult to want to engage with discussions in this thread due to the ever growing volume of substanceless posts about bottom of the ladder experiences and gimmicks, the continuing ubers non-sense, half-pages of half-funny memes, etc. etc. Every other tier's Metagame Discussion thread is capable of remaining both on topic to their tier and not going off on long-ass back and forths between the same few users over and over because they don't use their threads just as a place to socialize like people here seem to want to do day in and day out. Discords exists for a reason people, you don't need to be replying to every single post with minor engagements or to drop a one-liner meme. I'm not naming names because I don't want to be an asshole (anymore than I already am, anyways), but y'all should know enough by now that by constantly replying to the people bringing up ubers discourse or whatever that you're only perpetuating it yourselves.

will never forget that time in the dlc1 discussion thread where I said this about acrobatics red card alomomola only to find out it was actually a thing being run on a sample team because of how stupid waterpon was at the time

The reason this keeps happening despite multiple warnings is just due to the sheer volume and speed of posts in this thread. At this point a warning in the OP and/or thread title (more likely the latter tbh) is the only way to effectively tell people to stfu friday about it without it being buried and forgotten 3 days (or 3 hours) later. Either that or mods lock the thread for several days to get the point across which I don't think anybody particularly wants, and isn't necessarily gonna prevent it from happening again anyway.

It gets progressively more difficult to want to engage with discussions in this thread due to the ever growing volume of substanceless posts about bottom of the ladder experiences and gimmicks, the continuing ubers non-sense, half-pages of half-funny memes, etc. etc. Every other tier's Metagame Discussion thread is capable of remaining both on topic to their tier and not going off on long-ass back and forths between the same few users over and over because they don't use their threads just as a place to socialize like people here seem to want to do day in and day out. Discords exists for a reason people, you don't need to be replying to every single post with minor engagements or to drop a one-liner meme. I'm not naming names because I don't want to be an asshole (anymore than I already am, anyways), but y'all should know enough by now that by constantly replying to the people bringing up ubers discourse or whatever that you're only perpetuating it yourselves.
While I do admit that I have somewhat contributed to the problems by posting my low ladder experiences (which I am stopping) and responding to the ubers discussions, I think that the occansional meme or gimmick set isn't the worst for this thread. It spices things up a bit as we've seen that people start talking about this if they are bored. By directing it towards topics that can promote thinking, that can help the thread's enjoyment. Again, I have contributed to the chaos a bit, and I am sorry for that, but we should be discussing a wide range of topics, it makes this much more enjoyable.

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
I think that the occasional meme or gimmick set isn't the worst for this thread. It spices things up a bit as we've seen that people start talking about this if they are bored. By directing it towards topics that can promote thinking, that can help the thread's enjoyment.
I'm not against a good meme or gimmick post (s/o big morkal), I agree it should be a nice occasional thing but it's really not felt like it most of the time. I'm not trying to be a super stick-in-the-mud about it or personally attack anyone, it's just tiring how frequently those kinds of mostly one-liner posts dominate what feels like every other page, of which this thread gets like 5+ a day.

so what, we just sit there and let people derail the thread? because ignoring them isn't working, they just get louder and more annoying about it
You're contributing to the derailment further by engaging with it, yes. Trying to constantly dunk and debunk on every user who brings it up is less helpful than ignoring it and moving on to something different. It's frustrating I know, and this is not a personal slight against you or anyone (which you seem to have taken personally, for which I apologize), but it's not going to get better by perpetuating it any longer than it has to be.

Last edited:
Every other tier's Metagame Discussion thread is capable of remaining both on topic to their tier and not going off on long-ass back and forths between the same few users over and over because they don't use their threads just as a place to socialize like people here seem to want to do day in and day out.
because every other tier's metagame discussion thread has like 3 people in it at any given time. current gen ou is more popular than not just every other tier but nearly every other format by a massive margin (the exceptions are vgc, natdex, and random battles). if other tiers had the same level of focus on them as ou does, their meta discussion threads would be shitstorms equal to or even greater than our own
Discords exists for a reason people, you don't need to be replying to every single post with minor engagements or to drop a one-liner meme. I'm not naming names because I don't want to be an asshole (anymore than I already am, anyways),
no, no, name your names, go ahead, we all want to hear who you think should talk less
but y'all should know enough by now that by constantly replying to the people bringing up ubers discourse or whatever that you're only perpetuating it yourselves.
so what, we just sit there and let people derail the thread? because ignoring them isn't working, they just get louder and more annoying about it
half-funny memes,
honestly i'm kind of hurt if this is directed at me. i take being funny very seriously and i put a lot of work into those memes

I think the best thing is to quickly shut them down and say something like "this isn't relevant, so stop it." Sadly, that isn't working so we have to. I think there should be either banning/threatening banning for people who consistently derail the thread with ubers mons and are rude about it, and I mean they do not shut up (like a certain archen user) or kicking them out of the thread for a time to stop the discussion there.

I think the best thing is to quickly shut them down and say something like "this isn't relevant, so stop it." Sadly, that isn't working so we have to. I think there should be either banning/threatening banning for people who consistently derail the thread with ubers mons and are rude about it, and I mean they do not shut up (like a certain archen user) or kicking them out of the thread for a time to stop the discussion there.
honestly i think the best course of action is making a separate thread so we can foster discussion and dialogue about the topic (which i admit occasionally has some merit—darkrai, deo-d, and blaziken should have probably had public unbanning discussions as far back as gen 7) in a way that doesn't derail this thread from talking about the real meta that's happening right now. i'm gladly down to discuss the merits of retesting stuff if it's done in a thread specifically about that. it could even serve as a place to organize mini-tournaments and matches with custom rulesets that allow limited testing of stuff like that. it would also allow us to redirect people to that thread instead of just saying "don't talk about it", so no one feels like they're being shot down or silenced

i'd have made it myself ages ago, but i don't know if there's, like, some sort of protocol i'd be breaking or faux pas i'd be committing by making a thread as just a normal-ass user

Last edited:
honestly i think the best course of action is making a separate thread so we can foster discussion and dialogue about the topic (which i admit occasionally has some merit) in a way that doesn't derail this thread from talking about the real meta that's happening right now. i'm gladly down to discuss the merits of retesting stuff if it's done in a thread specifically about that
Although this is a genius idea, the same sort of thing happened with UUbers. It was meant to be a place for bad Ubers so people wouldn't constantly ask for them to be dropped to OU, but if anything, it increased the amount of people asking for drops. It will most likely just be a place for people to build up their dumb arguements to be dropped in this thread, as the echo chamber will be a sign for them as "all these people in the thread want it too, so it must be alright for OU." Sometimes we just have to accept people will be dumb, as great ideas like this do not work against idiocy. It seems like the idiocy is bliss saying is too true.

Moral of the story: people are dumb, more at 11

To prevent a one liner, what is everyone’s favorite mon to use in DLC2 OU? Mine is gouging fire because i love clicking funni button and watching the enemy explode.
Mystic water barraskewda (I think that's how it's spelt) in rain. It not only hits like a truck, especially with tera water, but you can bluff choice scarf and hit a cc, aqua jet or flip turn, which is my set with liquidation. It's so fun and as I've said in the past, gambits for some reason do the same dumb decisions.

To prevent a one liner, what is everyone’s favorite mon to use in DLC2 OU? Mine is gouging fire because i love clicking funni button and watching the enemy explode.
Volcarona. I love my moth. Now that there's so many more things you'd wanna spend your Tera on and the overall power level has risen, it doesn't feel like the free matchup flipping wincon it might have once before. Now it's just a regular wincon. Archaludon is a very close second.

I mean, i entertained the idea of dropping ape and espartha as a 'fun' little test which while met with some interest, was ultimately shut down, no way in hell lugia and fam are dropping lmao, new topic!

j0nathan

formerly trainer_j0nathan

I don't know why but my favourite two are Zamazenta and Archaludon. I just love clicking Body Press and it's so good with Stamina or Dauntless Shield.

Last edited:

Latias! She is one of my faves and the moment she was released I knew I had to use her and with those buffs she got, she is funny to use, although it’s also annoying to face too lol. Hope she can sneak in the tier!