AG Suicide lead Deoxys-Speed [QC 1/2]

[OVERVIEW]
With its sky-high speed stat and a diverse pool of utility moves, Deoxys-S cements itself as one of the most reliable suicide leads in AG and should be considered on many hyper offense structures. The fast Taunt and hazards Deoxys-S provides enables many of the powerful setup sweepers like Koraidon, Miraidon and others to break through their usual checks with the chip damage like on defensive Arceus formes. Deoxys-S is quite a one dimensional, as it is cramped for moves to beat of its many counterleads, for example, it needs Knock Off to threaten Calyrex-S and Psycho Boost if it wants to deal any meaningful damage to Scale Shot Koraidon. Although it is often considered to be the most reliable suicide lead in the tier, it matches up poorly into many other hyper offense leads such as Ribombee, Glimmora and the occasional Grimmsnarl, so teammates that can deal with them would be great.

[SET]
Suicide lead (Deoxys-Speed) @ Focus sash
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 80 Atk / 176 Spa / 252 Spe Or 80 Hp / 176 Spa / 252 Spe
Naive Nature / Timid nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Psycho Boost
- Knock Off / Stealth Rock

[SET COMMENTS]
Thanks to its unrivaled speed, Deoxys-S outspeeds every single viable unboosted pokemon in the metagame, and with access to utility moves such as Taunt, Stealth Rock, Spikes and Knock Off, Deoxys-S is often considered to be one of the most reliable and effective dedicated leads in Anything Goes. Spikes can help chip down defensive walls for the cascade of sweepers waiting in the back and can be usually be set up first due to its high speed, and Taunt can prevent other leads from setting up their own hazards or prevent setup leads from boosting, Psycho Boost OHKOs koraidon and Knock Off can take out any unsuspecting Calyrex-S, Stealth Rock can be used if you can survive for multiple turns but loses out on the Calyrex-S matchup, and in that case, an EV spread of 80 Hp / 176 Spa / 252 Spe and timid nature should be used, as it allows for Deoxys-S to potentially survive longer and set up both Spikes and Stealth Rock. 176 special attack EVs are ran in order to guarantee the OHKO with Psycho Boost on Koraidon while max speed is given to potentially outspeed or speed tie opposing leads, with the rest dumped into attack to boost Help guarantee an OHKO on Calyrex-S.

The only archetype that Deoxys-S fits on is hyper offense, so setup sweepers like Scale Shot Koraidon, Agility Miraidon and Nasty Plot Calyrex-S who can abuse the hazards chip on their defensive checks are great teammates. Since Deoxys-S is counterlead by Grimmsnarl and Ribombee, teammates like Substitute Zacian-Crowned or Trick Room Necrozma-Dusk mane with can sometimes be used to counterlead them.

Other Options
=============

Skill swap can be used to beat magic bounce hatterene, but hatterene is very rare and skill swap have limited uses in other matchups as well. Tera dark can be used to beat Grimmsnarl leads, but that is quite situational and loses out on the Extreme killer Arceus matchup. Alternatively, Rocky helmet with a bulkier EV spread of 252 Hp / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe Could be used to possibly set up multiple layers of hazards more reliably and beat other focus sash leads but leaves it vulnerable to Choice Scarf Calyrex-S.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Ribombee**: By using pounce and bug buzz, ribombee can knock out Deoxys-S by lowering the speed with pounce as Deoxys-S uses taunt and knock it out with a follow up attack, so against ribombee leads you would need to correctly predict pounce or sticky web.

**Calyrex-S**: With it's powerful Stab move in astral barrage, Calyrex-S can knock out non knock off Deoxys-Speed and gain an Special attack boost from the KO, which would make it harder to respond as HO usually do not bring any Choice scarf speed control.

**Grimmsnarl**: Deoxys cannot deal any meaningful damage to Grimmsnarl, and it can use Taunt before Deoxys-S can set hazards, this can be countered with tera dark, but spending your tera so early may not be good for later.

[CREDITS]
Written by: https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/pigbeeef.651906/

Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/fc.511624/

Grammar checked by:

Last edited:
Please fix your formatting before I take a look at this properly. Notably, Pokemon/moves/items should always be capitalized, there does not need to be an indent after every sentence, the set comments should be split into a paragraph explaining the set and a paragraph explaining teammates, a usage tips section should not be included, and opther options should just be one paragraph.

Please fix your formatting before I take a look at this properly. Notably, Pokemon/moves/items should always be capitalized, there does not need to be an indent after every sentence, the set comments should be split into a paragraph explaining the set and a paragraph explaining teammates, a usage tips section should not be included, and opther options should just be one paragraph.
Ok, I fixed what I saw, I did not see any indents in the beginning of my paragraphs or sentences tho.
(An indent is like this, right?:
Test sentence test sentence test sentence
Test sentence test sentence.)
Edit: maybe it’s platform, but it doesn’t show any intents on my end.
Anyways I am done.

Last edited:

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Deoxys can still sometimes set up multiple layers of hazards without the need of a Focus Sash, though it still appreciates holding one quite often.
This is said in the intro paragraph but there is no mention ever of another item. I'd either remove this entirely or at least touch on something else like Rocky Helmet in OO.

Although it is considered to be the most reliable suicide lead in the tier
I'd either change this to "often considered to be" or just reword it to something like one of the most consistent since it's not a universal belief that this is the best lead, personally I think both ribombee and glimmora are better and more consistent, so it's best not to talk in absolutes with something like this.

with the rest dumped into attack to boost Knock Off.
You have 2 ev spreads listed so it should be worth to at least mention both the difference and the 2 natures you have listed, mainly just knock off vs no knock off. Also important to say the attack evs help guarantee an ohko on caly since it can't always normally.
0 Atk Deoxys-Speed Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Calyrex-Shadow: 320-380 (93.8 - 111.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
80 Atk Deoxys-Speed Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Calyrex-Shadow: 352-416 (103.2 - 121.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

teammates like Zacian-Crowned or Necrozma-Dusk mane with Sunsteel strike can sometimes be used to counterlead Grimmsnarl or Ribombee by threatening it with their Supereffective STAB moves.
I wouldn't really call NDM a counterlead to these, grimm still gets both screens and a taunt more than likely while ribombee just gets free webs and can spam pounce to keep it slow. If it's TR ndm it's a lot more threatening vs that specifically but you'd have to specify since the default for HO would be DD probably. Zacian also just gets slowed down and lets webs go up vs bee, one of the worse ways to start a game especially because that lets in something like a DD groundceus on a slowed down zacian. Sub zac or trailblaze are good ways to get around this if you wanted to keep the example, but this section should be expanded on a bit more just to not be misleading since it's not as straightforward as just hit another lead super effectively since they aren't trying to stick around.

I wouldn't have Ice Beam in OO, you can taunt and set hazards on gliscor which is much more beneficial, and dropping anything else leaves you open to more than you'd like. Can mention those alternate items like I talked about above if you'd like.

QC 1/2
Stamp.gif

This is said in the intro paragraph but there is no mention ever of another item. I'd either remove this entirely or at least touch on something else like Rocky Helmet in OO.

I'd either change this to "often considered to be" or just reword it to something like one of the most consistent since it's not a universal belief that this is the best lead, personally I think both ribombee and glimmora are better and more consistent, so it's best not to talk in absolutes with something like this.

You have 2 ev spreads listed so it should be worth to at least mention both the difference and the 2 natures you have listed, mainly just knock off vs no knock off. Also important to say the attack evs help guarantee an ohko on caly since it can't always normally.
0 Atk Deoxys-Speed Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Calyrex-Shadow: 320-380 (93.8 - 111.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
80 Atk Deoxys-Speed Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Calyrex-Shadow: 352-416 (103.2 - 121.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I wouldn't really call NDM a counterlead to these, grimm still gets both screens and a taunt more than likely while ribombee just gets free webs and can spam pounce to keep it slow. If it's TR ndm it's a lot more threatening vs that specifically but you'd have to specify since the default for HO would be DD probably. Zacian also just gets slowed down and lets webs go up vs bee, one of the worse ways to start a game especially because that lets in something like a DD groundceus on a slowed down zacian. Sub zac or trailblaze are good ways to get around this if you wanted to keep the example, but this section should be expanded on a bit more just to not be misleading since it's not as straightforward as just hit another lead super effectively since they aren't trying to stick around.

I wouldn't have Ice Beam in OO, you can taunt and set hazards on gliscor which is much more beneficial, and dropping anything else leaves you open to more than you'd like. Can mention those alternate items like I talked about above if you'd like.

QC 1/2
View attachment 630075
Implemented, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)