SV OU Power Intensifies- Double choice offense (First post on forum)

Pokemon 6062 Shiny Landorus Therian Pokedex: Evolution ...
Power Intensifies- Double choice offense
Amazon.com: Pokemon Center: Sitting Cuties: Kyurem Plush # 646 - Generation  5 : Toys & Games
Hello everyone. I've been playing competitive Pokemon for a few years now and finally feel confident enough in a team to post it here. I mostly play OU but dabble in NU and Natdex for fun, but back to the team. I introduce to you "Power Intensifies- Double choice offense." As stated in the name, the team style for this team is offense. It focuses on using Banded
:landorus-therian:
and Specs
:Kyurem:
to break holes in the opposing teams and allow
:Kingambit:
to clean up. It plays like a balanced team with a little more immediate power. In intend to try and take this team as high on the ladder as possible but for now I'm only at around 1550 elo.
Teambuilding process

As expected, I started the building process with the star of the show since this is the mon I wanted to build around. I wanted it to act as my immediate power for the team at the time.

The second member I added to the team was Kingambit. Kingambit is almost always necessary on teams for its amazing synergy with other mons, amazing ability and clean up, and overall raw power. I wanted it to act as my late game cleaner who could still be used in the mid game.
:Dragapult:

The third member I decided to add was Dragapult. I really like the offensive and defensive synergy that these three mons. Dragapult and Lando-T cover nicely for Kingambit's Fighting and Ground weakness while Kingambit can cover for there Ice, Ghost, and Dragon weaknesses. Not to mention how threatening a Specs Dragapult can be alone, but with the backup of Lando-T wall-breaking and Kingambit's cleanup, It makes this core formidable to play against.
:Corviknight:

I wasn't planning on running boots spam so I needed good hazard control. Since I really wanted a way to switch into Hawlucha and Rillaboom, as well as H-Lilligant, I went with Corviknight. Corv is one of the best defog users In the tier right now and has a good match up into threats like Great Tusk, Hawlucha, Rillaboom, and plenty more. It was also my way of dealing with Kingambit in the endgame thanks to Body Press. Above all that, I could see it working as a slow pivot to get Lando-T on the field for free.
:Slowking-galar:

For the fifth mon, I added a Glowking to act as the special wall for the team. Glowking is one of the most flexible mons in the tier so I felt like having it was a no brainier. It had great bulk as well as amazing longevity with Regenerator and slack off.
:Gouging-Fire:

While laddering with other team, I found that Gouging Fire was very versatile and could fit on a lot of different archetypes so I decided to make him the 6th member. Gouging Fire has a multitude of great sets and could act as a bulky attacker, set up sweeper, or just a really fat mon that could sit on common threats.
:Kyurem:
:Gouging-Fire:

The final iteration of the team. I added Kyurem over Dragapult since I didn't really feel like Dragapult was pulling its weight on the team. This is when the team became the Double Choice offense instead of the Lando-T and friends show. Adding Kyurem allowed me to more easily deal with Gliscor and it had great synergy with Glowking's Chilly Reception as well. You may notice the lack of hazards on this team. That is because I feel like since I didn't have much Knock Off support, running them was the waste of a move slot when the meta was very Heavy-Duty Boots spam.
The Team

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Tera Blast
- U-turn
- Grass Knot
The main star of the show and the mon I wanted to build around the most. I had been using
for a while in OU but never as an offensive threat. Most people think that its utility set it the only thing it can run and that's what gives this set such and edge over the other. When you bring this mon out, people expect rocks to come out and that when you hit them with a super powerful eq or tera blast. Grass knot allows you to save tera for other mons if needed when facing great Tusk since its still a 2hko on the defensive variant though be careful for Ice Spinner. U-turn is just a great move to have to get out of scary situations and can really put a dent in dark and grass types that you don't want to stay in on. One of this mons biggest threats is Gliscor. Defensively,
:Gliscor:
eats every hit you throw at it with this and can knock off your Choice Band or Toxic you which can be devastating in long games. The maximum you could do to a defensive Gliscor is 59% which is very good but can still be offset by protect spam. Another huge counter for this is Dondozo.
:Dondozo:
is a really tanky mon that loves to sit on physical attacks and click curse. The best counterplay for
would be clicking grass knot which would do a minimum of 50%. When it tera's, your best play is to click tera flying tera blast if it hasn't set up more then 1 curse.
:sv/kingambit:

Kingambit @ Leftovers
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Kowtow Cleave
- Low Kick
One of the best mons in the so you know I had to have it here. As stated before,
is the set up sweeper of the team. With an insane ability in Supreme Overlord, your Sucker Punches will be doing massive damage when
is the last mon alive. Kowtow Cleave is the best Dark STAB that Kingambit can get and hits a lot of things really hard. I've been seeing a lot of max speed Kingambit recently so I wanted to try it out. It gives you the edge over other
who aren't max speed and you can OHKO them with a Low Kick. It is best to preserve
health for as long as possible since the more you have when you go for a sweep, the more likely you get to pull the sweep off. One of the biggest counters to this is Great Tusk. The only move you have to hit it with mediocre damage is Low Kick which is only doing about 20% unboosted to the defensive variant.
is also a very good counter to this set and I recommend you switch to one of your pivots and then go

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Body Press

This was my pick for a physical wall and hazard control of the team. I chose :Corviknight: over :Great-tusk: since I thought I fit better with the team. I liked having the steel type on the team and a second ground immunity was great. The only thing that Corv lacked of tusk was being able to remove hazards on gholdengo which was a quite a big issue until I realized that Lando-T and Gouging Fire were really good into :Gholdengo: and I just needed to position my Lando-T in safely with Glowking against it. I ran roost and defog for obvious reasons. U-Turn was used for positioning my huge threats on the field safely. I chose to run Body Press over Brave Bird since I felt that I needed a solid way to consistently beat dark types, mainly :Kingambit:. Corv also sat on most tusk variants and chipped them down with rocky helmet and allowed Lando-T to come in safely with U-Turn. It also really helped when matching up into some of the sun and grassy terrain sweepers in the tier.

Slowking-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Future Sight
- Chilly Reception
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunder Wave

Probably the best special wall in the tier right now, It's Glowking. I really like using :Slowking-galar: because he is very reliable and can fit on almost any team. Future Sight was used to help me force switches and when paired with Chilly Reception, can be a nasty combo with getting in Kyurem and Lando-T. I picked Sludge Bomb over Ice Beam since :Gliscor: wasn't a huge problem and I really liked being able to deal good damage with STAB Sludge Bomb on mons like :Serperior:. Thunder Wave helped my slow down faster mons so that :Landorus-Therian: could outspeed them later and take the KO. It mostly helped against Kyurem and Iron Valiant without Knock Off to name a few. Nothing is really special about this set but it really helped hold the team together with its defensive profile and pivoting options

Gouging Fire sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

Gouging Fire @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Tail
- Burning Bulwark
- Morning Sun

First things first, I stole this set from Lord Emvee. I really enjoyed the set but never liked the team it was on so I started experimenting with it. I found that it is really good on balance and offense since it has a really good defensive and offensive profile. Flare blitz is for consistent damage but you could run Heat Crash over it if you don't like the recoil. Dragon Tail was the odd ball for this set since the break swipe set is so popular. I personally like it since it helps my matchup into any set up sweeper that isn't a fairy type. Burning Bulwark was also really good since its not run very much. It can be used to punish U-Turn attempts or physical attackers that may match up nicely into :Gouging-Fire:. Its access to Morning Sun really solidified this set for me since it gave it great recovery so it could come in multiple times in a battle. This was one of my best Rain answer since after becoming a water type, not much could touch it. It was my best :Serperior: answer when I wasn't tera'd and I usually used this as my Mon that could take para in a pinch.

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power

Kyurem is here after I replaced Dragapult with it. I felt that the power the Kyurem gave was super good for the team and it transformed this team into the Double Choice offense. The set is very standard with Ice Beam and Draco Meteor for great stabs. Freeze-Dry let me beat water types while Earth Power was for steel types. Overall :Kyurem: also added a great defensive profile for the team. It could switch into a lot of resisted moves and spread huge damage. :Kyurem: also punished players who were playing very passively since it could get in for free and break through the opponents wall. The only thing that really hurts :Kyurem: is its weakness to Stealth Rock which can be really crippling if you let Corv go down early.

Threats
More threats will be added as I discover more on ladder

Gargancal - I really don't like garg. It's a very fat Mon that can spread damage with salt cure and set up rocks. Lando-T can do great damage to it when It isn't tera'd. Use Glowking to pivot in either Kyurem or Lando-T depending on the tera type. If it starts stacking Curses or Iron Defenses, go into Gouging Fire and Dragon Tail in out. It's best to save tera for Gouging Fire if this happens so you don't get smoked by Earthquake.
Replays
The Replay section will grow more as a ladder with this team more as well

Vs Sun - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2101942771
Importable
https://pokepast.es/08693659160f7b89

Last edited:

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Forum Moderator
Cool team, tera flying Landorus is really a big threat that usually kills me whenever I see it due to how unexpected it can be. I. have a couple observations for you.

No hazards, no knock: Stall might be an issue for you. Kyurem is often quite good at beating stall on its own but the fact that you are running specs means it will have trouble switching out of the expected Blissey tank repeatedly. Apart from the unexpected threat of landorus, I definitely think a stall team will be able to wall you to hell and back.

Gouging Fire: while I love fire+dragon as a defensive typing, the truth is that he might not be doing much apart from walling fairy types. This is even more true with Volcarona gone, as one of his main victims is no longer relevant. Especially with your defensive EV spread, I can't help but think he will actually just sit around a bit too much instead of being useful.

Edit: also welcome to the forums

Speed: with only one priority user in kingambit and no pokemon faster than base 91 speed you are definitely in trouble against things that can hit your defensive core hard. This includes things like Ogerpon (all forms) as well as booster energy pokemon like Roaring Moon. Notably these pokemon can easily kill Slowking so he can't really stay in to Thunder wave.

My suggestion: :Landorus-Therian::Kingambit::Slowking-Galar::Gliscor::Cinderace::Kyurem: (click)
Lean a bit more into the offensive version of this team. Gliscor over corviknight gives you access to spikes and knock off, while retaining a strong physical defense and tera water option vs rain (and weavile). Losing the great tusk switch in kind of hurts here, but I think it's overall worth it to shore up your other matchups. You already do pressure tusk pretty well with your other slots so hopefully you can get a good lure with Landorus or pressure with future sight. Finally cinderace over gouging fire brings hazard control and a bit more speed, as well as will-o-wisp for stubborn physical tanks (like tusk). You can also optionally change will-o for Sucker Punch or Gunk Shot to pressure defensive checks. If you do use gunk shot, change the ability to Libero.

Ultimately you have a cool team with a lot of fun options, so I just gave you an alternate version that matches up a bit better into your weaknesses.

Last edited:
Cool team, tera flying Landorus is really a big threat that usually kills me whenever I see it due to how unexpected it can be. I. have a couple observations for you.

No hazards, no knock: Stall might be an issue for you. Kyurem is often quite good at beating stall on its own but the fact that you are running specs means it will have trouble switching out of the expected Blissey tank repeatedly. Apart from the unexpected threat of landorus, I definitely think a stall team will be able to wall you to hell and back.

Gouging Fire: while I love fire+dragon as a defensive typing, the truth is that he might not be doing much apart from walling fairy types. This is even more true with Volcarona gone, as one of his main victims is no longer relevant. Especially with your defensive EV spread, I can't help but think he will actually just sit around a bit too much instead of being useful.

Edit: also welcome to the forums

Speed: with only one priority user in kingambit and no pokemon faster than base 91 speed you are definitely in trouble against things that can hit your defensive core hard. This includes things like Ogerpon (all forms) as well as booster energy pokemon like Roaring Moon. Notably these pokemon can easily kill Slowking so he can't really stay in to Thunder wave.

My suggestion: :Landorus-Therian::Kingambit::Slowking-Galar::Gliscor::Cinderace::Kyurem: (click)
Lean a bit more into the offensive version of this team. Gliscor over corviknight gives you access to spikes and knock off, while retaining a strong physical defense and tera water option vs rain (and weavile). Losing the great tusk switch in kind of hurts here, but I think it's overall worth it to shore up your other matchups. You already do pressure tusk pretty well with your other slots so hopefully you can get a good lure with Landorus or pressure with future sight. Finally cinderace over gouging fire brings hazard control and a bit more speed, as well as will-o-wisp for stubborn physical tanks (like tusk). You can also optionally change will-o for Sucker Punch or Gunk Shot to pressure defensive checks. If you do use gunk shot, change the ability to Libero.

Ultimately you have a cool team with a lot of fun options, so I just gave you an alternate version that matches up a bit better into your weaknesses.
Yes I do agree that Gouging was mostly for volc and is now obsolete. I will test the team you gave me and see what works better. Thank You

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)