Project Personal OU Viability Rankings - The Indigo Disk

Hello, with the release of the Indigo Disk we have begun the “permanent” metagame of SV OU and the Personal Viability Rankings thread has returned to OU!

I have included a tiermaker that hopefully has almost everything anyone would want to rank but let me know if there is anything I should add.
Tiermaker

While not necessary, explanations are appreciated. If you want to add sprites to your post, simply put the Pokemon's name between colons (:venonat::venonat:).

v3 - added and removed some stuff
v2 - missing a few niche pokemon
v1
Key_Shiny_Charm_Sprite.png

Last edited:
my-image-2.png

uhhhh this is probably misinformed but i tried to do my best to give honest my honest take abt each mon. s is for the most centralizing threats around, the cream of the crop, the most consistent choices in the meta. a rank is also some really noteworthy threats in the meta who you should always be preparing for in building. you should also prepare for b rank, but less so, these are all solid pokemon but just not as great as what s or a have to offer imo, c rank is viable, but not pokemon who id consider using on a regular basis. d rank is pokemon who i figured you could probably justify but i dont think are very good, and f rank are pokemon who i just dont see succeeding. i love you too metagross but this just isnt the time

Here are a few things I noticed about the post-Terapagos ban metagame.

1- The Best playstyle is HDB Spam Semi-Stall/Fat Balance with Progress Maker Knocker. Teams based on either Gliscor + Clefable + HDB Spam standard structures or the new Skarmory + Reuniclus type of structure, carry a few notable progress-makers to A tier. Most notably the newly buffed Weavile and Meowscarada which can make progress through everything in the long term. Its incredibly hard to cteam this type of builds currently, and most people in high ladder use structures that are equal or similar.

2-Sand Revival

Tyranitar and Hippowdon are now viable Pokemon, since by having Excadrill as a teammate, sand teams gain both an abuser and a form of hazard control. Tyranitar and Hippowdon also have good match-ups into a lot of the newly added Pokemon, such as Gouging-Fire and Raging Bolt.

3- Darkrai and Deo-S arent as broken as previously expected.

They are still A tier caliber Pokemon, but both have decent answers and suffer a lot from 4mss. Deo-S struggles in particular against Ting-Lu teams, and is heavily dependant on Indeedee to be a broken sweeper. It also struggles into Hatterene, which became popular once again since Gliscor got unbanned, as well as Rillaboom, which removes psychic terrain and nukes with Grassy Glide.

Darkrai has the potential to be more problematic than Deo S, but 4mss is still a big limitation, It relies on focus blast to hit any dark type, has to run sludge wave to hit clefable, cant do anything to Clodsire or Blissey aside from Knocking them off or putting them to sleep, with neither guaranteeing that it will be able to break through them. (Not to mention hypnosis accuracy).

4- Sun is incredibly good again.

I dont know why people havent realized this yet, but sun is really good, actually. Roaring Moon is back, which gives Sun a decent ghost resist once again, Volcarona is also back, one of the biggest sun abusers invm mons history, Gouging Fire and Raging Bolt are insane sun abusers, using a variety of possible sets, from CB to boots DD to defensive in the case of Gouging Fire, to specs, av and cm magnet in the case of Raging Bolt. Hatterene fixes Sun's hazard weakness in a metagame where everyone and their mom is using Gliscor and Deo S as spiker, with few exceptions.

Metagame is still evolving and we dont know what it might look like in the future yet, in fact, I would assume, most people reading this post havent even realized that Pokemon like Meowscarada or Weavile, arent just good, but Top tier currently.

Attachments

My VRs - Week 1 of DLC2
(Very subject to change!)
my-image(4).png

Explanations:
  • :iron-boulder: (Ranked A) it's good, but i think with more time it will start to seem more reasonable. it's one of those mons that is basically walled by dozo, it's also relatively easily prone to being baited & ohkoed by surprise tera (eg Flying Ghold). it can be revenge killed by Rillaboom who is good right now, it loses the 1v1 to Zama, it needs to outplay Kingambit, it's a lot worse once booster is consumed, etc
  • :raging-bolt: (Ranked B+) Ting-Lu, Gliscor, and Glowking are all momentum sinks for Bolt, it's also a mon with a lot of competition from Zapdos and the many other special dragons, but suffers from a mid speed tier and an unfortunate weakness to Ground. Thunderclap as a Sucker clone is also very unfortunate timing for someone just joining a meta that's spent a year adapting to Kingambit with subs encores and tricks. it might end up in the A ranks but for now it's looking like a high B imo
  • :excadrill: (Ranked B) Don't think it's A rank. Does best with a Sand setter but Ttar and Hippo are both kinda mid. Also really doesn't like the Tusk matchup & also dislikes Rilla, Skarm, and Gliscor being good. just seems like it's got a lot of obstacles to get past before it can act as a wincon, unlike a weather abuser like Venusaur, Wake, Kingdra or BB Greninja.
  • :primarina: (Ranked B+) is really underrated right now despite not being an OU pokemon historically. it's the closest thing we have to Fini in gen 9, with a very good special stats, a pivot move, strong stabs, and very nice resistances (most notably Fire, Water, Fighting, Dragon, Dark). this helps it be a glue mon for bulky offensive teams that struggle with Wake, GFire, Pult, HSamu, Blaziken, Darkrai, Weavile or Greninja. specs also allows it to be a really strong breaker that proves a very difficult matchup for stalls assuming no wabsorb Clod
  • :serperior: (Ranked S) genuinely think serp is a top 3 mon, it's very restrictive in the teambuilder and in games it provides a wincon that guarantees value with Glare, and massively benefits from Tera to get past Fires and Steels.
  • :skeledirge: (Ranked A) pretty close to being a counter to Serperior, Volcarona, Zamazenta and Valiant due to Unaware+typing. also is a Ghost that wisps Gambit.
  • :weavile: (Ranked A-) compare gen 8 weavile to post-dlc weavile, and look at the top mons. many are Weavile food, with a lot of ice and dark weak mons. it has low kick for Gambit, too. Zamazenta and Dondozo are major obstacles though, as well as Booster speed control mons, but i think Weavile will find ways to adapt as a very strong Knock user in a metagame defined by spikes.
  • :kyurem: (Ranked S-) i thought people were overestimating this mon, having heard people put it above Serp and Moon in terms of tiering action priority, but the two lists above put it in C and B respectively and suddenly i feel like i have to defend Kyurem. it's super good in the balance matchup, and like Weavile really appreciates all the Ice-weak mons. it has both a Bax-like Loaded Dice DD set as well as Specs/NMI/Boots for special sets with insane coverage. it's also a great Tera mon since its bulk allows it to come out on top after a trade, and Fairy especially helps it resist Dragon and Fighting, flipping matchups and taking random kills. i don't think it's a quickban target but it's definitely a top 10 mon given just how it can rip through almost every defensive mon.
WilhelmTheOkay maybe consider adding these to the tiermaker (even though they're probably D rank):
  • :rhyperior: likes tera, likes alomomola and rillaboom as partners, might find a small niche over Tusk either on TR or wishpass bc the fire resist, higher attack and access to SD are all notable factors
  • :incineroar: its unique factors are it having both a steel, fire, grass , dark and ghost resists, a pivot move, wisp, and intimidate. i saw it on ladder earlier and it did its job as a glue for some of balance's less good matchups (Gambit/Ghold/Rillaboom/Darkrai/Weavile)
  • :slither-wing: it was ranked pre-dlc, sun is better than ever, and slither helps with both tusk and gambit matchups. probably better than some of the UR mons
  • :registeel: last gen i think mimikyu stardust used some registeel team in high ladder and so im not gonna disrespect this mon anymore. probably does something with ironpress and absurd bulk.
  • :raikou: it's like regular thundurus but bulkier, not rocks-weak, has CM, has Scald, and outspeeds Serperior, whilst still having Weather Ball which sounds nice especially in Snow. probably bad, but seems better than some of the UR mons for sure.

my-image (4).png

S - Top tiers: They're very good, and if you haven't built your team without them in mind you are basically guaranteed to lose.

A - These mons are good, and should definitely be accounted for, but they aren't quite as dangerous as the top-tiers. One of the exceptions here is Skeledirge, which does always need to be considered and is only not in S because a couple of its best counters are the aformentioned best in the game. A few mons here might emerge as new top-tiers soon, but I only have them in A because in my opinion it's a little too early to tell (I've got my eye on Meow, Weavile, and Raging Bolt). Also, while you probably don't need to change your strategy around Torkoal itself, it is here because it enables some of the most dangerous threats there are.

B - Pokémon in this tier are good, and are very effective with adequate team support, but they aren't super threatening by themselves (Again, Torkoal would be here but its presence makes some very dangerous Pokémon even more threatening). A special mention in this tier is Garchomp, who, while actually quite threatening, has hard counters that are very easy to slot on a team (Such as Corviknight and Iron Valiant, but even the newly dropped Skarmory can do the job). Speaking of Skarmory, it is still good this gen but is generally outclassed by Corviknight. Ditto is notable here in that while building a team with it specifically in mind isn't advised, it will always impact how the game is played and can, if not treated with caution, serve to turn game-deciding matchups against even the best top-tiers, such as Kingambit, on their heads.

C - Most of these Pokémon are either lower-tier Pokémon without a solid niche in OU (Chestnaught, Scizor, Lokix), Hardcarried by specific teammates without offering enough in return (Basculegion and Hippowdon/Tyranitar), or just straight-up outclassed by stronger OU mons (Haxorus, Slowbro, and Enam-T). *Most* of these aren't intrinsically bad, and could pull possibly pull their weight in a very favorable matchup, but a lot of them have just been powercrept.

D - Whether it's because they are far outclassed by even some Pokémon in the tier directly above them, or because their role isn't a good one to begin with, none of these will get the job done. The only real exception here is H-Zoroark, but usually even when you predict wrong with an illusion it can be taken out in short order by one of OU's many faster, stronger threats. Tinkaton also has ok matchups with many good OU Pokémon and even a couple of top-tiers, but it really doesn't like hitting a resisted target with Gigaton Hammer and unfortunately that's more than half of the A+ tiers.

F - They don't work. It doesn't even really matter why, because even playing around their weaknesses will leave them worse off than the rest of the metagame, but for an example Brute Bonnet and Zarude both really hate being weak to the #1 pivot move in the game, and neither of them use Tera well. Most of the others are like this as well, not hitting hard enough to offset being offed by most A+ Pokémon immediately. Toedscruel actually does have a valid, albeit very specific role as the only Pokémon that can put Gholdengo to sleep with Spore, but this relies on the opponent leading with Gholdengo against a Toedscruel (they won't).

Avalugg - It's a slow, bulky Pokémon with the worst defensive typing in the game. Hisui form is even worse. Literally every mon in S tier except for Gliscor has a winning matchup against both forms iirc

ausma brought up a great point in the OU meta thread so I wanted to share my tier ranking here along with the explanations that I typed up for a few of them.

my-image.png

I like the place that the metagame is in right now - while some of these rankings pained me a bit to make, I'm pretty happy with them overall. I'll explain some of the rankings I feel could be a bit eye-raising (feel free to ask me about any of the rankings I've put as well!)

:enamorus: + :serperior:

I think that the way these two can not only utilize Contrary, but Tera as well (along with Scarf for Enamorus and Glare + 3 attacks for Serperior) has a special hold on the meta that feels like it's pushing the limit. They can turn the tables and generally have the advantage in terms of various matchups because of the guesswork you have to do. As much as I love Enamorus and Serperior as Pokemon, they both might be too much for the tier.

:archaludon:

Archaludon is one of the single most slept-on Pokemon I've ever seen - amazing offensive and defensive synergy with so many different set options (no, rain is not the best variant, Dragon Tail + Body Press + Protect with a fourth move of your choice is). It has so many wonderful qualities to it, and its negative qualities (its mediocre Special Defense) are negligible in comparison IMO. Easily my favorite Pokemon to use in OU and I'm hoping it becomes an OU mainstay.

:raging bolt: and :kingambit:

Great Pokemon, not OP by any means. Raging Bolt requires using Tera to break through certain archetypes while Kingambit has been suffocated by a huge portion of the competition (I didn't think King was broken during DLC1 or Pre-DLC either, tbh). Thunderclap and Sucker Punch are both great, not game-breaking - they can be played around with the correct prediction and proper team building.

:darkrai: and :roaring moon:

Darkrai feels like a breath of fresh air in the tier and I'm so happy the decision was made to drop him. Hypnosis is the worst set (called it ages ago), Life Orb + Nasty Plot is the way to go. He's manageable but still strong - Darkrai hates status and requires setup to do quite a lot of the things that it wants to do if it's not running the Scarf variant (don't run Specs, it's not worth it), in addition to having bad 4MSS. Roaring Moon is extremely powerful and I'm teetering between S and A+ for him frequently, but at the same time, I constantly feel that Roaring Moon dies so quickly and just doesn't get the opportunity to fire off its nuclear attacks - usually sending a Fairy or Fighting attack its way is enough to drop it.

:iron boulder:

I love this thing - it's not broken imo, it's balanced - sure its Quark speed may be frightening, but generally to hit certain speed thresholds people will be running Jolly, which means Swords Dance is practically a requirement to break through a lot of teams (this can easily be preyed upon). Iron Boulder suffers from 4MSS as well (not as much as Darkrai does, but still a notable amount) as it never feels like it can attack all the threats that it wants to attack.

:meowscarada:

Meow is good, but not OP by any means. Triple Axel is great but generally has plenty of counterplay (and Archaludon eats multi-attacks for breakfast). Basically - strong fast multi-functional offensive pivot, not overwhelming, at least in my experiences playing against it.

:deoxys speed:

Not sure how I feel about this thing - it's very obviously powerful, varied, and has a lot of utility but is it OP? I think the meta does warp around it, but I'm not sure whether that's from people being paranoid about it due to its bonkers speed, or whether it's warping due to its insane qualities. Every Deoxys-S set has notable counterplay - I think the problem is that multiple sets require multiple forms of counterplay, which, I haven't felt Deoxys-S stretch my focus in the teambuilder - but my Deo-S answer is Assault Vest Kricketune (fun mon btw, Kricketune got better than it was in DLC1), so I'm already using non-meta stuff as is so maybe I'm not the best one to judge Deo-S in that regard. Either way, it's personally not the most threatening Pokemon I've had to deal with in this new meta (Enamorus and Serperior are).

my-image.png

Heres my personal take based on what I've seen in the meta so far. Volc and new volc(Gouging fire) are degen matchup fishes that have no place in the game, but nothing else feel too overwhelming honestly. Maybe kyurem, that guy is also really fishy but he has more answers because he gets walled by more mons than just unaware ones. Meta right now is super polarized between bulky balance/semi-stall and HO, mostly because bulky offense can't handle the two best mons in the game(and kyurem low key). They are too tanky and find setup opportunities on offensive mons too often.

Edit: I probably should have put latias higher if anyone is getting stored power banned its this guy

canvas.png

I believe the highest tiers should contain the fewest mons, for the same reason that a small number of professional athletes get paid a considerably larger salary than the majority. I will only explain the S-A mons

Moon is the only one I find busted, and I think gouging fire is pretty underrated. Tusk is the same that it's always been and remains the best hazard remover with a fantastic typing. Gambit is only rated so high due to its inherent ability to flip the outcome of a lot of lost games. I don't think it's overpowered, but I do think it's stupid and it's one of the main things I worry about still to this day even after the dlc. The 3 mons I put in A+ are basically good in every matchup and I value consistency just as much as ability.

Samu is very good right now especially with the ubiuity of deo-s. Serp with tera sets or even seed + glare + sub is crazy annoying, and if you are not prepared for this mon you probably think it should be ubers lol. I think it's more annoying than broken, not seeing the S rank or even A+ on this one. Zam and Valiant are similar to me and both are just basically very good very fast all-out attackers that can also run choiced/setup/utility sets. Being above 110 base is a good speed tier and in Zams case only 2 relevant mons outspeed it. Pult is so good mostly due to its typing/speed, not the most multi-dimensional mon but it's good at what it does. Most people probably think I'm r-worded for ranking it alongside dnite but I think they are equally viable. Dnite is just the most reliable revenge killer imo and multiscale ensures you get 2 attacks off on almost anything. With so many fast threats around I think priority is extremely good right now, and dnite's is the best.
Dhengo is ok (good) but I'm not shitting my pants or anything. I don't particularly feel like articulating all the reasons why, but the gist is I think hazards are just op and you're better off and always have been in previous gens running boots/flying/levitate/magic guard/regen/finding other ways to alleviate the detriment hazards have. I don't think banning dhengo would make the difference people think it would, and I don't think this is as good right now against weather/all the fast sweepers and crazy immediate power going around as opposed to pre-dlc. I know people might think putting wake here is stupid, but I think the boots 4 attack set is awesome and it never does nothing in a matchup. Scald is still overpowered, scald + knock is crazy annoying to switch into and even gking can be killed by scald + knock + draco, dondozo, skarm, ting lu, all the lazy splashable fat mons get harassed by wake and I think it's the best offensive water in the game right now. Deo-s I think I maybe should have put it in A+, but I ain't trippin' over this thing like most are, I don't find this any harder to deal with than ntales, and the offensive sets are a bit overrated. LO is still coming off 100 sp atk and it goes down so quickly to anything that hits it. Way too weak to priority, Samu etc.
Kyurem is good but its typing and hazard weakness has always been a problem and always will. It also has base 95 speed, this is not a threat to me in the same way that Moon, Gouging, Gambit, or even Zam/Dnite/Serp are. Movepool is limited, but it is really good and it is amazing in some matchups don't get me wrong. Enamrous long story short I think this is new toy syndrome. The fad will pass it's not that much better than before. Reminds me of people's reactions when talonflame first came out with Gale Wings. Hatterene is pretty good, stored power is pretty good. This worries me and causes me more woe than Darkrai does, as do volc and manaphy. Volc is so weak to priority otherwise I'd be putting it in A+, and Manaphy usage seems to have fallen off of a cliff put once the new mon hype dissipates I think this is still one of the most threatening sweepers + stored power abusers. Gking and Ting-Lu are the best defensive mons imo and chilly perception fucking over weather is huge right now. Glisc is not something that has been causing me ban-worthy problems and I'm not seeing many 40 turn glisc-verse-glisc cicken matches, it seems a lot easier to keep in check than it did before but it's still a good mon and better than skarm.

Last edited:

kd458

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
DLC2_tiers.png

SV OU DLC2: Post-Turtle Edition

Okay I may be hating on some of the lower tiers here and I'm not too sure on some placements in the mid ranges but I'll explain the higher tier picks here, initially had a separate S and S- but the only mon in S was Deo-S and I wasn't sure what else to put up there so I just merged them since I don't think Deo-S is really head and shoulders above anything else rn. Very loosely ordered within tiers, will explain my S and A+/A tier placements below.

----- S Tier -----

:Deoxys_Speed::
Doesn't feel broken but it can do so much while outrunning the entire tier unboosted along with outpacing most Scarf users, hazard lead is fine but the best sets are offensive imo. Even with relatively low offensive stats it's hard to switch in to at +2 while great coverage lets it clean up weakened teams, the low power, frailty/weakness to priority and being outsped by booster mons keeps it in check.

:Zamazenta:: This is the best Za's been in a long minute, great speed control with a positive matchup into a lot of the tier right now. Currently would say that Boots sets are the best, Band and IDef are still good but Boots is really nice to not get 3HKOd by hazards. Puts attempts at Sand teams in the dirt by itself while loading well into Sun and HO.

:Kyurem:: Kyurem is just really good, DD is pretty nice with Tblast Ground, Specs is insanely strong as usual, even Special + Scale Shot for the speed boost is a fun and usable set. Great natural bulk and Ice STAB hits a lot of the tier, losing Roost means this isn't as broken as it would have been with it but it's a very good mon.

:Iron_Boulder:: Boulder's definitely surprised me, maybe it's just A+ but I'd personally put it up here. The speed on Booster is insane and you threaten a lot with super effective, SD turns it into a great sweeper and cleaner. Very one-dimensional but it's great at what it does.

:Roaring_Moon:: To no one's surprise, this is still a giga threat with limited defensive counterplay. Skarm and Scor are good checks until you run into Tera Flying with Taunt, but it does feel more manageable than before and very tera-reliant as usual. Sun loves having their banded speed control back and Knock makes this a terrifying wallbreaker, easily deserves S to me.

:Gouging_Fire:: I didn't actually think this would be that great on release, but it's insane on Sun while being a great mon outside of it. Burning Bulkwark is a pretty fun tech, Morning Sun lets this be a fun Roost Zard-X LARP on DD while there is definitely some unexplored potential for non-DD sets with its great bulk, access to recovery and phasing moves.

:Walking_Wake:: Wake got nothing back, but his bros being around / Sun getting better makes Wake a massive threat. It's as hard as ever to pack consistent switch-ins and Flip Turn really comes into play with some of the other powerful options Sun has now that it was lacking before, this is a meta where Wake thrives.

:Great_Tusk:: I initially had this in A+ but this is just too good of a glue mon, although I think the prevalence of Spikes meaning that it either runs Boots or has to take way too much on every switch-in hurts its viability (would have been a clear S to me before). Good general wall / remover / Knock user and Sun helps him be even better on both offensive and defensive sets.

----- A+ Tier -----

:Iron_Valiant::
Val is Val and Fairy STAB hits a lot of the tier right now, got nothing new with the DLC but Booster is still great and other options like Boots or Specs are worth considering.

:Dragapult:: Pult is Pult and it's still a Dragapult, maybe not the S I'd have given it before due to the rise of Dark-types helping with Shadow Ball spam and faster threats (both Deo-S and Booster mons) but it's definitely not fallen off hard.

:Raging_Bolt:: Bolt is really good, the bulk is fantastic while the offensive power is near unmatched off that monstrous 137 Sp.Atk with Dracos that even dent Lu. Maybe not as S tier as his bros imo but it's one of the best new options we got.

:Volcarona:: Volc literally doesn't do anything new at all, benefits somewhat from the drop in popularity of Heatran but it's still QD / Fire move / usually Giga Drain / whatever you want to hit. Gets forced to Tera more by faster mons though which is nice and Lu still exists.

:Enamorus:: Stellar Tera Blast is very, very strong with Contrary on Scarf sets. Would put it higher but I do think it only really works on Scarf due to 106 being pretty mediocre base Speed in this meta, meaning that the initial power isn't actually that high.

:Gholdengo:: Spikes are as good as ever and we have more things back that set them, what more can be said? Not like we have anything to run Defog though, Corv and Mandi is basically it...

:Gliscor:: Scor sits on the field, absorbs status and Knock Off, heals 200% per game and gets up max layers. It actually gets threatened now by multiple meta threats though, so doesn't get as many free turns and is definitely not even suspect-worthy imo.

:Hydrapple:: Maybe a more niche pick but it invalidates Ogerpon, checks Boulder and Serp, can eat a hit off almost anything physical with PhysDef sets (Tusk Ice Spinner bounces off) and is just a great Regen pivot right now, meta definitely needed this.

:Serperior:: Contrary Leaf Storm is as good as ever and Tera Blast, particularly Stellar, gives fantastic coverage while Stellar has more synergy with Contrary. Glare is incredibly annoying for things that otherwise would wall it, hard mon to face if you don't have something faster.

:Skarmory:: I had no idea Skarm would be this good considering how bad Corv feels to use but should have seen it coming. This is Corvi with Spikes over Defog, Iron Press 1v1s most physical threats and you get free layers on half the meta.

:Ting_Lu:: Lu checks so much on the special side and is a perfect pair with Skarm on balance, Whirlwind lets you handle Booster spam with the good natural physical bulk letting you deal with things like Boulder and Gouging.

----- A Tier -----

:Meowscarada::
I genuinely think Triple Axel on this thing is better than Weavile, Boots Pivot sets with Protean are fantastic with that massive Ice STAB while Knocking and U-turning out on switch-ins is never bad.

:Torkoal:: Sun is in the best place it's been for a long time, all three of the Paradox Beasts are great for it while Moon being back is another fantastic option that makes it the best weather right now by far.

:Kingambit:: Gambit is still a great mon that'll win a ton of games but honestly? Meta's never been more hostile to it imo, Skarm is back as a direct counter while Zama dominates the meta.

:Dragonite:: Really good offense killer and the priority is so nice to have, unfortunately a lot of Balance that Dnite is less good into and Skarm + Scor force weird coverage but it's definitely not bad.

:Samurott_Hisui:: There's more competition for a spiker from both Skarm and Scor (common theme here) but Samu-H is still good, I particularly like Boots Encore variants.

:Archaludon:: Maybe this is a high placement but this hard carries Rain while also 1v6ing Rain and helping G Terrain to stay somewhat relevant. Under rain it's incredibly tough to 1v1 and will almost always trade if not just run away with the game.

:Weavile:: Axel makes this actually threatening now, along with the dip in popularity of Gambit and rise of Ice-weak mons that Weav can outrun and OHKO. Zama and Skarm are an issue for it but don't stop it from being a great choice.

:Dondozo:: The meta has a lot of physical threats and Dozo teaches them all a valuable lesson, with the fall of Ogerpon-W helping out too. Gouging Fire? Zamazenta? Roaring Moon? No sweat off this guy's back.

:Darkrai:: It may not be dominating the meta but people love calling this terrible and it's definitely not, Plot can easily clean up a weakened team with utility options like Wisp and Hypnosis while Scarf outruns and threatens almost every Booster mon in the tier.

:Iron_Moth:: Moth is still hard to switch into and safely handle, somewhat overshadowed by the return of Volc but Heatran dropping in usage and Sun gaining popularity is very nice.

:Zapdos:: Not as overbearing as it was pre-DLC2, but it's still a great mon that can soft check a lot of threats and get off big damage, spread paralysis on or pivot around half the meta.

Last edited:
my-image (14).png

This definitely could use a deeper insight, but after a week or so, this is how I feel about the meta.
The tier is not so unbalanced because there's so many mons that threatens each other and one could have a hard time determining if a mon is broken because of all the counterplay and checks in the tier.
Because of booster energy speedcreep, Unaware and Dondozo, one could make the case that nothing is truly "tier-breaking", but those are extreme measures and needing them it means some Pokemon exert overwhelming pressure to require them.

Ban: Enamorous with contrarian and stellar tera feels like the least honest offensive presence in the meta, being able to boost while doing unresisted damage, sitting on a amazing speed tier with scarf. This mon was already top tier with it's near unresisted coverage and high offenses.
Roaring Moon is the same as always, acro/knock/eq hits everything for high damage with STAB or super effective moves being able to KO most of the tier after 1 set up.
You could make the case you could use stuff like unaware clef to stop Enamorus or slap Dondozo or steel birds for Roaring Moon or bring a faster booster user to revenge kill, but like I said: with unaware, overwhelming defense or booster energy speedcreep you could argue hardly anything is broken.

S+: These are the most dangerous offensive presences in the tier, they can sweep unprepared (and not overprepared) teams after only 1 turn of set up. Serperior is there because it can cheese free turns with paralysis and substitute, having to fight fullparas trying break though sub while it boosts can be dreadful, leaf storm and stellar tera blast is all the coverage it needs as the later hits everything for neutral and it benefits from opposing sticky webs since the move is good against booster energy users. Also Iron Boulder speed tier is absolutely disgusting and so is Gouging Fire in sun.

S: These are guaranteed viability mons, they have defensive utility, wall a lot of stuff, have support moves, are team glue, change field dynamics, they are overly splashable or are sweepers limited by being frail, lacking power or running out of steam after a few KOs.

A: These are still great picks with ton of utility, but they often into roadblocks that are often main staples in the tier, are easier to be exploited.

B: These are mon that require dedicated team support, they aren't so splashable, have to fight with more viable mons who play similar roles or often end up being deadweight more times they can be useful

C: These are Pokemon that require near full team support or are outclassed.

D: These are mons that will die more times than they can do useful stuff.

1703366735847.png

My own little take on the OU meta right now. The order doesn't matter too much below the A to A- range.

:deoxys-speed: is the best mon in the tier, full stop. I'm not convinced it's broken at the moment, but it definitely has a considerable and consistent impact on how the game is played right now and any sort of offensive team lacking it could be immediately improved by slapping some sort of Deo-S set on that team. The lead sets are good, but IMO they pale in comparison to its phenomenal offensive sets; both mixed 3A+taunt and mixed 4A, as well as Nasty Plot, are incredibly powerful threats that feel very satisfying to use right now. I don't think Deo-S is a cut above the other best mons in the tier, but it's definitely the best.

:great-tusk: does what Great Tusk does: it spins, it provides tons of role compression, and it utilizes a great movepool that somehow got even better to prove itself a diverse threat and a splashable, centralizing presence all at once. Temper Flare is a huge gain for this mon as it can savagely punish Air Balloon Gholdengo's spinblocking attempts.

:gholdengo: finds itself running fewer overall sets than before, but the typical Scarf and Air Balloon sets are excellent as ever.

:dragapult: is the fastest unboosted mon in the tier and with Kingambit declining a little Dragapult is by definition better. Its STABs are incredibly spammable in this meta, especially since its Draco is the tier's fastest, and U-Turn is safe with such limited contact punishment. Fantastic mon, even if it lost a few of its sets (DD and Screens don't really exist anymore but DD is low-key still kinda useful on paper).

:kyurem: has a freakishly strong Specs Ice Beam and its Dice+DD sets are also terrific. I haven't seen this mon nearly as often as I should; it's a massive threat that everyone should be very prepared for.

:enamorus: is the tier's best Scarfer and a phenomenal abuser of Contrary+Tera Blast Stellar to become a terrific revenge killer and lategame cleaner.

:roaring-moon: is terrific. Its DD set is as horrifying as ever, and its Band set is a devastating wallbreaker, but I'm also not entirely sure if it's 100% broken because it offers some legitimate defensive utility as well. I've been quite partial to Scarf sets on Sun teams since this is Iron Boulder's best offensive answer and Iron Boulder rocks Sun's shit otherwise. If this got banned I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, though.

:iron-boulder: speaking of Iron Boulder, this right here is the best revenge killer in the tier, period. Booster Boulder has entirely usurped Iron Valiant as the metagame's best Speed Booster Energy user (Valiant is still an excellent mon and should not be slept on, though) and it is very tough to check, both defensively and offensively, with faster-paced teams. It has some nasty 4MSS (it wants all of CC, Zen, EQ, and Taunt) but it's such a terrific mon that this doesn't hinder it much.

:volcarona: is as frustrating as ever. There have been new techs like Tera Ghost and Tera Dragon picking up steam lately and all of its other billion Tera types are still very strong on one or both of its devastating QD sets. Glad this is back, but also not glad; it's a tough mon to deal with when it gets going.

:zamazenta: is sorta better than ever, but it's also in a weird spot because it's better than ever but is worse relative to a much stronger OU. This thing offers precious defensive utility against mons like CB Roaring Moon, Boulder lacking Zen Headbutt, DD Kyurem, Kingambit, H-Samurott, Meowscarada, and Rillaboom but doesn't like going up against offensive Deo-S very much. I like it, though!

:serperior: is pretty linear in the grand scheme of things, but between Contrary Leaf Storm, its ability to abuse Tera Ground or Tera Water very effectively, and its access to Glare it's another very scary mon. It also singlehandedly reduced the viability of Webs as an archetype a little; you do NOT want this thing getting a free +1 because you set up Webs against it.

:kingambit: is worse relative to the higher end of the meta, but it still doesKingambit things. It's still a top 2 Dark-type and it's still a shoe-in on almost any offensive team, but the metagame has adapted well to it this time around.

:samurott-hisui: this is the best Spikes setter in the tier in that it sets Spikes without clicking Spikes. This thing is alarmingly consistent and will never, ever fall off IMO.

:meowscarada: is the best recipient of DLC2's new moves thanks to Triple Axel patching up every single one of this mon's problems in one fell swoop and is criminally underused compared to how excellent it is.

:gliscor: does the same shit it did in DLC1, just slightly less consistently. Emphasis on "slightly," of course: this is one of the best mons in the tier and is an oppressive hazard setter in its own right, but I don't think it's as meta-warping as it once was.

:zapdos: I'm probably in the minority here, but I kinda appreciate Zapdos a lot even in this very powerful meta. Static often comes in clutch against mons like Roaring Moon, Zamazenta, Rillaboom squads, etc. and it's far from passive. VERY underrated mon IMO.

:raging-bolt: is the best of the Scarlet Paradox trio and has a shocking number of viable sets, ranging from CM to Specs to HDB pivot sets with a lot of Tera customizability. This mon on Sun feels overwhelming, but it's plenty usable outside of Sun.

:rillaboom: let's just be thankful Sneasler isn't around. Rilla's still as excellent as ever and can support Serperior very nicely when needed.

:slowking-galar: is still the best anti-Sun mon in the game and is still valuable as a result. It's worse relative to the top end competition, though, but it's still very much A+ worthy in my opinion.

:ting-lu: is kinda similar to Gliscor in that it's a great fat Spikes setter and it GREATLY appreciates Iron Defense :skarmory: existing now, as these two form a nasty defensive core together.

:gouging-fire: is another giga threat and one of the best Dragon Dancers we've ever seen, second only to Roaring Moon right now. It has some devastating 4MSS but Ground+Fire is excellent coverage in this metagame and DD+Loaded Dice Scale Shot is terrific. I've only seen DD sets, though; defensive sets have some legitimate merit, but I just haven't seen them.

:darkrai: is a wonderful addition to the OU metagame and I'm genuinely glad it's here now. I find it very balanced and believe that it fulfills a very specific and unique role that we haven't really had in this metagame before. If this mon was around day 1 I think it would've been balanced from the very beginning, but it obviously wasn't. NP is the only set worth discussing though, which is why I don't think it's higher than A right now.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
IMG_2211.png

(tiermaker watermark lol)

The top 3 was difficult to figure out.

Deo-S is never deadweight in any matchup. Ridiculously fast, strong, and packed with endless utility. Which is why I consider it to be broken the best mon in the tier.

Gambit is still Gambit. Very splashable, a reliable ghost resist/priority user. Has made everything in the meta bow to it since Pre-Home. You’re never 100% safe against it. Even Skarm can lose to Jolly Gambit after a few SO boosts and Tera.

Skarm is as good as it was in DPP imo. It has defined Balance and BO since it dropped. The 2nd best Spike setter in the tier cause Deo-S is broken and checks most of the physical meta.

Hatt destroys Spike Stacking Balance while being a threatening wincon. Its the best Anti-Deo-S lead in the tier minus Scarf Rai. Nuzzle + Healing Wish provides solid utility and para spreading. What an excellent poke.

I was close to putting Meow in the Top 3. Its that good, but why? Band has no safe switch ins. Boots has an excellent mu into Boots Spam, Stall, G-Terrain, and BO. T-Axel was a godsend for it. The three most common Knock absorbers are 2HKOd by Band T-Axel. Synergizes amazingly with other pivots and makes progress everytime it comes in. You lose nothing for running it. Its checks such as Archaludon and Zama both get worn down by Spikes after Knock. Even Low Kick is an option to snipe Gambit, Kyu, and Tera Steel Tusk. Arguably top 5.

Raging Bolt imo is the best out of the special attacking Dragons. Need a breaker? Raging Bolt. Need speed control? Raging Bolt. Need a wincon? Raging Bolt. Need something with bulk? Raging Bolt. Want a pivot? Might be hard to slot in but hey, Raging Bolt is right there. Every Ground type either gets OHKOd by +1 Draco, can’t OHKO back with EQ or Headlong, has no reliable recovery, or all three. You could even run Specs which is prediction reliant, but eviscerates everything with Draco that isn’t a Fairy, Steel, Bliss or Ting-Lu. This thing is Kyurem but with priority.

Glowking is an amazing, splashable pivot that soft checks a bunch of mons. Easily customizable with Future Sight, Toxic, T-Wave, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, etc. Synergizes with Meow, Weav, Kyu, Raging Bolt, Rilla, Gambit, and other dangerous pokes.

Archaludon highkey carries Rain which is why Barra and Peli are chilling in this tier. With Stamina + Electro Shot, it can snowball out of control in the right scenario. It is very hard to kill in one hit. Even outside of Rain, its impressive bulk, typing, and access to SR, T-Wave, and D-Tail/Roar makes it good into G-Terrain or bulkier builds that utilize its unique traits over Skarm. I almost put this is “The Meta”.

Dankrai isn’t broken but its not mid either. Its a scary wallbreaker with NP. Its outspeeds Deo-S, and Booster mons with Scarf while having Trick to not be deadweight vs Balance or Stall. Boots Rai is an alternative to Meow with Dpulse, Ice Beam, and Sludge to hit the three Knock absorbers of OU, or for the hell of it, Wisp. It hits Tusk, Ting-Lu, and Gambit, crippling them for the rest of the game.

Garg is cracked asf. Gliscor and G-King lose to repeated Salt Cure chip. ID BP can just 6-0 teams in Preview. It appreciates less Encore spam and less Ogerpog-W. ID Garg is also the most consistent G-Fire check while being an annoying li’l shit. Don’t sleep on it.

Ival sees less usage these days due to speed control duties being given to Iron Boulder and its absurd speed tier. Even with Volc in the tier, this thing is a menace. Imo the SD Encore set is the best Val rn. Even in the Volc mu, Val can remove its fake ass Timbs and Encore it if Volc clicks QD. Its typing also lets it shit on Gambit and Skarm. Not to mention it could be either CM or Mixed and you wouldn’t know. I almost put this in “The Meta” due to how versatile and threatening it still is.

Despite being completely walled by Skarm and Glis, Clod is an underrated Balance/Stall pick. This time its because of Unaware. Enam, Raging Bolt, Serp, Volc, Arch, Rai, Pult, and Valiant are all check by this squishy little guy. Toxic and Spikes are annoying to manuever for structures lacking Glis and Skarm. You might be hardwalled by those two, but you can get up hazards and still make progress.

Tran has been going back and forth this gen. Going from mid to good to mid and now, to pretty good. Flash Fire Balloon sets hardwalls EQ/Heat Crash G-Fire and is solid into Volc til it pops your Balloon, but the real reason for this ranking is Flame Body. It punishes Meow, Weav, Gambit, Rilla, etc. The random 30% Burn chance can also save your ass in case something like Boulder gets burnt. It also matches up decently into Skarm/Ting Balance since it punishes Knock attempts while threatening Clef, Ghold, Skarm, and G-King. It also appreciates the usage of Wogre and Manaphy tanking.

Not everyone will agree, but Keldeo is good again. Almost all its old checks either got nerfed to the ground or were shot on sight when entering Paldea’s borders. Thus Specs Hydros finally returned to ORAS levels of scary. The most important buff tho is Vaccum Wave, patching up the former weakness of being bad against Balance. Now it can rkill a majority of the fast Dark types in the tier or pick off a weakened sweeper. Specs is the most common set, but CM with Tera and the new Vaccum Wave can rip alot of holes.

Molt hasn’t been this good since Home. Enam is a top threat again, it checks Volc, Blaziken, and Serp while checking old faces like Ghold, Gambit, Enam, and Val. It could either run Brave Bird with Flamethrower making it surprisingly annoying to switch into, or Brave Bird with Wisp. U-Turn should always be used to maintain the momentum vs Balance.

Washtom regained Pain Split which helps it live a bit longer and be annoying. It has several valuable qualities. Immune to Spikes, Wisp/T-Wave, Volt Switch + Hydro, and being a Water resist that’s immune to Ground. It easily brings in other strong offensive threats like Meow, Kyu, and Serp. Amoonguss is less common, meaning that making progress with it is easier.

Coba is a fast SR setter and pivot that can 1v1 Tusk with ID + STAB BP. Its also has good-to-decent mus into Meow, Gambit, Weav, Hamu, Skarm, non-Fighting move Rai, and Rilla. Due to the role compression it provides, its a decent mon despite the lack of recovery.

Comfey being next to Wogre seems confusing, but if we take a look at the tier, you’ll find a wide selection of Dark and Dragon types, and you’ll understand why I placed it here. Priority Fairy move go brr, but that’s not all. CM and Tera lets it potentially snownball unprepped teams. For a defensive poke, its very fucking fast at 100 base speed. Then you see it has utility in Knock, Taunt, U-Turn, and MFing Encore. So in the early to mid game it can scare off stuff with priority Draining Kiss and chip stuff down with Knock or prevent sweeps with Encore. In the late game it can start sweeping once the opposing team has been chipped.

Incin requires heavy support from G-Terrain or Wish, but its a solid anti-meta pick. Its a bulky Fire/Dark type with Intimidate in a tier with Gambit/Ghold running around that has utility in Knock, Wisp, and slow Parting Shots, which is the 2nd best pivoting move in the game cause Teleport is broken. Intimidate is also just busted, ask VGC.

If you want me to say anything about Zone, I already talked about it in the OU discussion forums. TL;DR, it appreciates Skarm returning while having a solid mu into most Skarm/Ting Balances.

Politoed is a niche alternative to Peli, trading an immunity to Spikes, access to U-Turn and Knock for Encore + not taking 25% from SR.

Sand has a good MU into HO and opposing weather. Drill is also good as a spinner/cleaner and Ttar can break holes. Tera Ghost SD Drill shits on Skarm and could 6-0 many bulkier structures by itself.

G-Weez lacks reliable recovery and could be difficult to fit, but Defogging past Ghold is while not being a shitmon like Mold Breaker Lucha is a unique trait. Neutralizing Gas is such a busted ability. Shutting down Regen, Contrary, Poison Heal, Magic Guard, and even the Paradox abilities. It has a solid defensive profile with its Poison/Fairy typing and access to Taunt, Wisp, Tspikes, Haze, etc. If it had reliable recovery or better bulk, it’d be an OU staple.

Gyara is a fringe alternative to Dnite, Kyu, and Moon as a DD sweeper. Water/Flying is quite a good defensive typing. With Intimidate and decently respectable bulk, Gyara can act as an offensive check to Volc, G-Fire, and Tusk which is a rare combination. Plus it has access to Taunt and due to Intimidate, it can find a couple opportunities to set up. Tera Flying with Tera Blast is an option to blast through everything with an unresisted STAB combination, or Tera Ground for boosted EQs and to shit on Raging Bolt. Hard to fit, but it has a small place in the tier.

Hippo is an alternative to Ttar that could set rocks, phaze, and soft-check G-Fire, Boulder, Tusk, etc. Its hella passive and has competition with the 7 other grounds in the tier. If you hate G-Fire or Boulder, idk, Hippo is an option ig.

Iron Hands is a niche breaker that could be paired with Gambit to lure and break bulky Grounds while sporting a decent defensive profile. Physical bulk that rivals Dozo and Fighting/Electric having key resistances and neutralities. Iron Hands fits on specific HO or BO structures that require its unique talents.

Lokix is here cause otherwise the Lokix stans will publicly execute me. Also cause 90 BP Bug Priority go brr.

Metagross is a fringe version of Scizor with SR and a more direct way of punishing Tusk with Psychic Fangs. Can never go wrong with strong priority, but if you don’t need anything as specific as Gross, just use Scizor.

Pert has a decent defensive profile with SR, Knock, and Flip Turn, but it gets chipped down easily by SR.

Tentacruel is a big mesh of utility. Knock Off, Flip Turn, Toxic, and Rapid Spin on a specially bulky mon. Other than that, it gets worn down easily and is frail on the physical side.

Rant time with Torn-T, cause holy shit it got the L this gen. What the hell does it even do anymore? We have three fast Knock users that are faster and more offensively threatening than Torn. Regen is nice, but it doesn’t actually check anything nor can it threaten anything it does switch into besides Tusk. Meow outspeeds and OHKOs with T-Axel. Rilla clicks Knock and nukes it with Wood Hammer. Zama carries Stone Miss. Torn can’t do shit to Volc. Serp Glares it and wins off of the shitty accuracy of its STABs. Its not bulky enough, consistent enough or even fast enough to really do anything of note. Even its Regen + NP set was hijacked by Hydrapple who actually has defensive utility on top of being more offensively threatning. Losing Defog was the biggest nerf to its viability. Imagine being even worse than you were when Zapdos was everywhere. I’m not gonna complain too much tho, cause this thing was annoying as shit in SS.

my-image (6).png

Everything from B rank up is ordered, though of course I do think they all are on a similar power level.
Might have a few controversial opinions (like ranking primarina and heatran so high), but I can explain my opinions if needed. :)

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
My SPL run is over, so going to post my thoughts here and then also post a major team/thoughts dump in the SPL thread later this week. Going to post here and the personal VR thread for visbility and because this will mirror my votes on the upcoming VR slate (barring minor changes based on continued gameplay)

RE: S Rank,
  • :Kingambit: is a given; one of the best Pokemon in the tier with such distinguished strength, especially in the late game, and a great typing on the offensive and defensive end. One of the most effective and common users of Tera, too.
  • :Dragapult: maybe surpises some, but this is in order and I have it second without any personal doubts or questions. It is one of the strongest offensive presences with the Hex Boots set alone, slowly outlasting bulky teams while presenting a fast challenge for offense, too. Band is underrated, Specs is still good with the right support, and lead works on the right team, too. Just an all-around great Pokemon and arguably problematic to a degree.
  • :Great Tusk: is the ol' reliable of SV OU; it continues to be great at various roles within multiple archetypes. Will go down as a timeless titan of SV OU when it's all said and done.
  • :Zamazenta: is an absolute dog...literally and figuratively. Iron Defnese sets have variability to cover a ton of situations depending on your needs, AoA still can be good, and we are seeing people get more out of Tera on it than ever before with options like Fire and Steel to compliment your circumstances.
  • :Ogerpon-Wellspring: is borderline S / A+, but I included it on S line due to lack of S- and the fact that it is the single hardest Pokemon to switch into. This does not make it the best Pokemon because it is vulnerable to hazards, it can be frail, and it is not the fastest thing, but it is good enough across the board while being unreasonably challenging to swap into, so it fits in my top 5.
RE: A+ Rank,
  • :Volcarona: is a given and borderline S tier as a top 3 win condition in the tier no matter how you chop it. It has crazy versatility within sets, within teras, etc. and you also get defensive value against Fairy and Ice moves, too, while soft checking non-SE Zama, too.
  • :Gholdengo: used to be a staple in S tier and you can argue it belongs there or in S- if it were to exist, but it is still very good even if it is a tad worse than DLC1 for me. Hex sets are great as a newer development, but defensive NP, TrickScarf, and even Specs can do plenty of work right now while still abusing one of the best abilities ever and being a Steel in a tier lacking great depth of good Steel types.
  • :Slowking-Galar: being a top 8 Pokemon may surprise some, but it is approaching staple status on some BO and balance builds that want to avoid passivity while assuring threat coverage. The role compression Slowking-G presents is impressive; you cover Body Press 4x resistance, special choice lock scout with Regenerator, Fairy resist, soft-check to weather with tera Water + Chilly Reception, Future Sight, Toxic Spike soaking (and potentially setting), Serperior checking, etc. -- what a superb Pokemon.
  • :Ting Lu: and :Landorus-T: are the two best SR users in the tier -- SR Tusk is very hard to fit with how compressed it is right now and how awkward it feels if you drop Ice Spinner or Knock Off/BU in the wrong bulky match-ups honestly. Ting Lu is a dynamic presence just b/c of how much progress Ruination forces and the array of things it covers defensively. Landorus-T rounds out my top 10 as a more flimsy, but tempo focused alternative that has a Ground immunity, great Zamazenta match-up, etc. -- LandoT really came into its own within the last few months and is now close to staple status on offense.
  • :Garganacl: also in the top 10 barely; it is harder to use than some give credit due to Spikes/SR vulnerability and only having 8 Recover PP, but in the right settings it is nasty. A bit of a tera hog, but for good reasons where it thrives into offense and can force progress or certain lines into balance or bulky-offense even. Another good SR setter, too, in a tier that only has so many as some users (Tusk, Gliscor, Tinkaton, Clodsire, Chomp, Drill, etc.) prefer non-SR sets.
  • :Gliscor: is finally returning to great form after it was stuck in an awkward limo state as the metagame saw so much HO. Balance has begun to develop and Gliscor is an amazing Pokemon on these teams; I expect it to continue to find itself within the top 15 Pokemon in the tier from this point onward.
  • :Kyurem: is still kind of broken, but it at least is not the easiest Pokemon to use and people are more focused on other things at the moment. Still very threatening with great natural bulk and a few awesome sets.
  • :Roaring Moon: is great and probably could be a few Pokemon higher, but instead it rounds out A+. I do find the consistency of priority and pressure as a limiting factor here, but overall Roaring Moon is great and a huge threat that hits hard with great speed.
RE: A Rank,
  • :Samurott-Hisui: is not a particularly good Pokemon on the surface, but the combination of Ceaseless Edge and Knock Off is assured disruption and progress. Encore is a great complimentary piece while Water STAB rounds things out nicely. Boots Samu, lead Samu, and Scarf Samu are all solid. Yes, it's frail. Yes, it's slower. No, I do not care -- Samu-H is a top 20 Pokemon for sure and it impacts building more than people think.
  • :Gouging Fire: is A, not S or A+. It was probably never S, but it was firmly A+ a couple weeks ago. Since then, people have shifted to cover Breaking Swipes and I am now waiting for Booster Energy offensive sets to pop next. Until we hit this point in the ungodly cycle of SV OU, it is actually a little inconsistent. High ceiling for sure and at least it covers Rillaboom, Cinderace, Scizor, etc. while being good at forcing opposing tera use, but it hardly sweeps and it has seen better days overall.
  • :Glimmora: is arguably the best HO options. Toxic Spikes are so great, Sash/Balloon/RedCard are all superb, and it is no slouch offensively either, especially with the uptick in Meteor Beam variants. Super dynamic option that is a naturally good fit.
  • :Iron Valiant: is a dynamic attacker with good boosting sets on both end and generally solid offensive utility. Encore and Knock are great options to help it always be useful while SD has picked up a ton of steam these past few weeks and even CM is starting to surge now. Fairy typing is huge on offense and being a 4x Sucker Punch resist goes a long way, too.
  • :Raging Bolt: is arguably an A+ snub, too, but it is so strong. Perhaps a bit tera reliant with all of the Ground types running around right now, but Raging Bolt does a ton of damage, is naturally bulky, and has good priority. Immunities galore hold it back, but still one of the better Pokemon out there and many are higher on it than me I know.
  • :Cinderace: is a practical pick with Court Change and a surprising threat with Libero offensive sets, too. It rounds out my top 20, but I do think it lacks the sticking power some above Pokemon have as it is more reactionary without covering a ton on the teambuilding checklist I admit.
  • :Rillaboom: is the face of Terrain offense of course. It alone is a good Pokemon with U-turn and Knock Off or Swords Dance and High Horsepower to accompany boosted Grass moves. It is also a nice check to Ogerpon-Wellspring and able to beat down Waters or Garganacl.
  • :Iron Moth: is so good into offense; it is less reliant on Tera Blast than before and really has snowballing potential thanks to Fiery Dance. Soaking up Toxic Spikes while being super fast with Booster Energy carves out a huge, distinct niche for it on offense without Glimmora right now, too.
  • :Darkrai: has seen a bit of a surge with the AoA set and Trick Scarf being a good revenge killer while not being useless into fat thanks to Trick. Coverage allows for Darkrai to be very threatening, but it is harder to fit as it is not quite fast enough alone to be a primary revenge killer without Choice Scarf while it does not cover much defensively. I think it barely gets into A rank just because people are still exploring with it and I find it on new, cool teams regularly with sets like EB or NP3a or even Sash lead. I expect it to grow into this spot and potentially to even better places.
  • :Enamorus: rounds out the top 25, which is all I will write specifically on, and A rank. I am pretty low on it historically, but it is hard to swap into with SubCM being underrated, AoA being viable enough, and Scarf offering unique utility and role compression while being a Fairy type, which we have too few of right now.
The remaining sub-ranks can be seen in the image above. It gets hazy after B+ rank, but I did my best based off of my experiences.

Yeah why is Prim so high on this list? not disagreeing, just asking.
Every time it has been on a team of mine, it has either 1. Traded itself for two opposing mons and chipped down a third or 2. Has completed a full sweep. I believe that its typing + bulk allow it to easily perform sweeps, as water + fairy only has three weaknesses, grass, electric and poison. Electric and poison type moves are mostly special which the calm mind boosts means after 2, you are taking negligant damage from them and which can be recovered off by draining kiss. The third type, grass, is easily covered by a tera steel which is just an overall good defensive typing. I have taken on raging bolt's and glowking's and won, which on paper shouldn't be possible, but it can easily do.
It's forth moveslot can be quite customisable, I am using stored power right now to beat opposing set-up sweepers such as volc that try to set up besides me. It can also be flip turn to get teammates in easier, moonblast to hit extra hard, psychic noise to deny recovery (which is a very unique attribute of it combined with liquid voice), energy ball to decimate opposing water types and shadow ball to destroy ghold easier.
TLDR, prim is able to put in work consistently and only really is weak to grass types, which tera fixes. It is also customisable, which is for me the makings of a top tier mon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)