Done Trace vs Trace in Gen 3

grape tylenol

white girl wasted
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
What type of bug are you reporting? Mechanics

What is the bug?
When two Pokemon have the ability Trace in Generation 3, they will repeatedly trace eachothers Trace ability after each interaction, filling the chat with Trace messages. The behaviour on cartridge (tested with Emerald vs. LeafGreen link battle, video here) is that the Pokemon will trace the Trace ability once and be unable to trace any other abilities.

Are you able to replicate it? If so, how?
Start a battle in Generation 3, with each side leading a Pokemon with the ability Trace. Replay demonstration: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3lc-2028685435-4ldqjmnn04d6n1izii608y3dm8od2ycpw

Last edited:

grape tylenol

white girl wasted
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
Bumping this as it has an impact on competitive games (Porygon, the best Pokemon in ADV LC, is able to take advantage of this bug to Trace an ability when it should not be able to) and I get asked about it multiple times a week. If it's not planned to be worked on, that's fine, I'd just like to have an answer I can give to players beyond "idk i reported it". While I'm not familiar with Showdown's codebase, I would be happy to pair up with someone to get this done if that's whats necessary.

BlackKnight_Gawain

PUPL Champion
Bumping this again because it's come up in the loser's finals of a money tour (turn 6).

This tier's grown to a point where it's still an issue in a massive tournament involving a big money pool, and with its inclusion in another major team tour (ADVPL), addition to the main LC circuit in LC Classic, and potential inclusion in future tours it's pretty important this bug gets an acknowledgement of whether it'll be fixed or not considering it's not only a UI issue, it's a competitive integrity issue as it allows for plays that are not possible in a cart interaction as coded. Sincerely requesting this gets looked at or at least given an answer as grape tylenol mentioned previously since the tier's players should be aware if this is something that'll be worked on or not.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Bumping this again because it's come up in the loser's finals of a money tour (turn 6).

This tier's grown to a point where it's still an issue in a massive tournament involving a big money pool, and with its inclusion in another major team tour (ADVPL), addition to the main LC circuit in LC Classic, and potential inclusion in future tours it's pretty important this bug gets an acknowledgement of whether it'll be fixed or not considering it's not only a UI issue, it's a competitive integrity issue as it allows for plays that are not possible in a cart interaction as coded.
None of this matters; simulator bugs are fair game according to Smogon's general tournament rules.
Sincerely requesting this gets looked at or at least given an answer as grape tylenol mentioned previously since the tier's players should be aware if this is something that'll be worked on or not.
Every thread you find in this forum describes a bug that's expected to be fixed at some point, otherwise it would just be closed and archived. Whether anyone cares to work on any given issue at any given time is a very different question. Someone might one day post that it's fixed, and this one has been: https://github.com/smogon/pokemon-showdown/commit/23ca9a95f34c7f7c25017aa383100649e89d8b3a

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)