Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

I really hope to god you can find a good niche for Murkrow. Such a cool little guy. Prankster + decent support movepool, but vulnerability to SR on this guy specifically is iffy. -25% truly fucks it up considering it can't even run lefties for passive recovery. Maybe a stupid tanky anti-lead/support set with Prankster Taunt/Perish Song/Mean Look/U-Turn?
Murkrow has been the hardest one to find a niche for so far; I've been having the best luck with both Crocalor and Dusclops (especially because both Crocalor and Dusclops can feast on setup sweepers). Murkrow I've so far been running Haze, Taunt, Perish Song with U-Turn to alright results. Still need to test more tech though!

Noivern?
View attachment 596779
Noivern @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator/Frisk
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor/Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Defog/Taunt/Super Fang/Whirlwind
- Roost

This one is more of a theorycraft, but Noivern has a few specific qualities that might give it a small niche. A small one mind you. Noivern is one of the few Pokemon on the game that retained Defog and it’s the only Dragon besides Altaria and Giratina that gets it. Noivern can also threaten a 2HKO vs defensive Gholdengo with Flamethrower while also having good matchups into Skarm and Ting-Lu.

252 SpA Noivern Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gholdengo: 174-206 (46 - 54.4%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO

I’ve also noticed Noivern has access to other utility moves such as Taunt, Super Fang, and Whirlwind. With Whirlwind it becomes a temporary check to Volcarona. You might also notice that it has a couple good/decent matchups into Heatran, Rillaboom, Keldeo, Volcanion, while outspeeding every Dragon minus Dragapult. In a nutshell it is a hybrid of Dragapult and Torn-T that gets Defog.

Anyone saying that banning Kyurem would be bad for the tier, just letting you know that we have plenty of dragons to go around. Dragons like Latios, Walking Wake, and Hydrapple could easily replace Kyurem once it leaves.

Anyways, next post is the teambuilding guide. So it’ll be a while. See y’all in a few days or a week, or however long this will take.
As a Noivern enjoyer, don't forget that it gets Boomburst, which can be combined Tera Normal and specs to do pretty good damage, like 2HKOing Pdef Ting-Lu and spdef Gholdengo. It also gets Super Fang, Switcheroo and U-turn to help wear down its own checks before committing to a sweep.

j0nathan

formerly trainer_j0nathan
As a Noivern enjoyer, don't forget that it gets Boomburst, which can be combined Tera Normal and specs to do pretty good damage, like 2HKOing Pdef Ting-Lu and spdef Gholdengo. It also gets Super Fang, Switcheroo and U-turn to help wear down its own checks before committing to a sweep.
2 Hit KOing SpDef Gholdengo with Boomburst?
What?
How?
Or am I just to dumb to understand that?

I literally saw tera bug lunge gliscor last game :woop: :woo::wo:

I think it was something like this:
Noob's set (Gliscor) (F) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Tailwind
- Lunge
- Quick Attack

Like man, they took damage from toxic! What the heck is going on here.
I like that it's shiny bc regardless of the shiny's quality it always is shiny

I faced a Sceptile with Giga Impact and Double Edge. I love low ladder.
Oh don't get me wrong, low ladder is so fun to see these wacky and usually useless sets. Heck, that duraludon showed me that its line can use swords dance, which I didn't know because I most likely missed it when making my first archaludon set, so I can at least say it did something.

j0nathan

formerly trainer_j0nathan
Oh don't get me wrong, low ladder is so fun to see these wacky and usually useless sets. Heck, that duraludon showed me that its line can use swords dance, which I didn't know because I most likely missed it when making my first archaludon set, so I can at least say it did something.
Yeah I also didn't know that. SD Archaludon could actually be quite okay. It's probably outclassed by Body Press + Iron Defense though.

Yeah I also didn't know that. SD Archaludon could actually be quite okay. It's probably outclassed by Body Press + Iron Defense though.
It most likely is, but it does have decent suprise factor, such as destroying clodsire, which could be massive for rain as clodsire is a big wall for them. I think I've seen e-quake on normal arch sets to lure in clod though. Maybe a set with sd, e-quake, electro shot and draco could be good as a lure.

At this point, I'm pretty sure we should just ban Tera. The sleep ban over banning Darkrai and Valiant was not something I would have expected. Iron Valiant was seen as like the perfectly balanced mon before people started spamming Hypnosis on it. Valiant being in the tier is great for OU, in my opinion, but it still isn't the most consistent with past decisions. Like earlier this gen, they initially held off banning Shed Tail because it wasn't initially seen as obvious to some that Orthworm was broken with it. They later did ban the move. But it makes me wonder about the priorities.

To be clear, I'm not even here to dispute these decisions. And this isn't to say they are wrong decisions, either. I read Finch's explanations and, in a vacuum, it all makes sense. It's not even a disappointment to me. I personally like that Valiant is still in the tier. I'm just wondering where the consistency is. And where does the line exist?

Do we test the problematic pokemon first? Or do we just wholesale ban the mechanic first? The answer seems to be that it depends.

And as this relates to Tera, we had close to 30 bans before this latest DLC even came out. Shouldn't we, by this logic, have just wholesale banned the mechanic? I know some people have made the argument that many of the mons were broken without Tera. But I don't know. I think at least a good chunk of them would be much more manageable without it.

Dynamax was banned last gen for being clearly broken. I'm not trying to get into a fight with somebody over which one is worse. But Tera enables a lot of broken or borderline stuff at minimum. It feels like folks just generally like Tera more, which is understandable, but not a competitive reason to keep something that should be banned around.

Do we not have enough evidence by now that Tera enables more than just two major pokemon?

I don't believe there will be a second Tera suspect test. The take action on Tera camp from the qualified sample of survey takers didn't even reach 50%. Finchinator is not going to start a suspect test when only a minority of qualified players want to take action on the mechanic. It would not surprise me if the next time Tera is on the survey that only 1/3 of those who take it want action on Tera, meaning the appetite to take action on Tera will have mostly dissipated.

And I personally hate Tera, but I believe it will stay for the rest of the generation unrestricted based on the latest survey. The ban Tera movement has been defeated, which I believe is a pity since we could play with a larger pool of Pokemon if Tera were not legal.

Last edited:
What are people’s thoughts on Supercell Slam as a coverage option for Great Tusk? It would help against Rain. It keeps Tusk from either being an easy kill from Pelipper or slow U-Turn. It would also help Tusk break through Skarmory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 16, Guests: 26)