Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah yes, volcarona, well known for its many defensive roles, such as:
  • setup sweeper
  • setup sweeper
  • setup sweeper pretending it can do utility things
  • specs wallbreaker just kidding, no one uses that shit

even the wisp sets ran quiver dance, volc is never not a setup sweeper in this gen
This is cap, bulky Volcarona was really good and defensively checked many Pokémon such as iron valiant and other fairies, it also had quiver dance because why on earth would you not run that? But these are not mutually exclusive
you got me there, but volc didn't bring any defensive utility to the tier that wasn't provided by something else (usually named "moltres")
Moltres wasn't even used before Volc was banned because there was no reason to, because moltres can't learn quiver dance. The offensive power combined with the defensive utilitity often was the whole thing on Volc balance, such as with MAVERICK SHOOTERS's old Wisp Hex Pult team from prehome

the official formats (which are crap)
the official formats r fun u guys r just smogon brained. I think theyre really fun both to play and to spectate but im not good at that style of play so i just stay on the spectator side lol.

anyway noooo my free elo. I feel like without sneasler in the tier ogerpon is going to be even more of a menace, as it got beaten down by acro/dire/gunkshot and often didnt ohko on sleaslers set up turn, kinda relying on encore to have a chance (but if they catch u ur fucked)

Roller K

detached
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor
:grassy-seed:
Screenshot_2023-11-19_at_12.12.13_AM-removebg-preview.png
:grassy-seed:
Hawlucha (F) @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance

Hawlucha, my beloved, is back in business. Prepare yourselves.

:hawlucha: :hawlucha: :hawlucha: :hawlucha: :hawlucha:

I didn't know that sneasler was this hated by the community, to me it always seemed like an okay pokemon.
what caused the hate to increase so suddenly?

anyway, I am not against the ban, I was just expecting manaphy to be the next pokemon to be banned.

edit: oh I see that the increase in hate happened due to the rilaboom + grassy seed.
whatever, I still consider manaphy to be op.

edit 2: to avoid missunderstandings I am not against the ban.
I am done with opposing bans ever since the chien-pao's first ban.

Last edited:
Does anyone here want to see an absolutely baller Mew set? It's suprisingly decent and actually benefits from one of the 'useless' tms they introduced in the teal mask dlc.
Just post it instead of being coy.
Is it though? Like, no argument that Manaphy can end games if played right, but I feel like people coming up with new options to beat it while the sets remain stagnant. It's a far cry from Sneasler or Roaring Moon where if it could hit the field and safely set up for one turn it was assured to do its job.

I didn't know that sneasler was this hated by the community, to me it always seemed like an okay pokemon.

anyway, I am not against the ban, I was just expecting manaphy to be the next pokemon to be banned.

edit: oh I see that the increase in hate happened due to the rilaboom + grassy seed.
people got gliscor suspect reqs easily with it and rillaboom on grassy terrain teams, which may have or may have not costed gliscor its ou status, hopefully kingambit and maybe ogerpon wellspring are next, ghold shouldn’t lose its ou status because gamefreak hates old pokemon

Just post it instead of being coy.

Is it though? Like, no argument that Manaphy can end games if played right, but I feel like people coming up with new options to beat it while the sets remain stagnant. It's a far cry from Sneasler or Roaring Moon where if it could hit the field and safely set up for one turn it was assured to do its job.
Sorry, I didn't mean to act coy but yolo here it is.
You've triggered my trap(per mew) card!
(No I did not stay up all night thinking of that thank you very much)

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Spinner
- Toxic
- Transform
- Sand Tomb

So yeah, the tm I was talking about before was sand tomb. Fun fact, only mew, glimmora and gliscor are the only pokemon that get sand tomb + toxic. Why is this important? Well because the only pokemon commonly used in OU that are immune to both toxic and sand tomb are Corviknight and sometimes G-Weezing. This means that you can trap in most pokemon or cripple them very effectively, especially due to mew's great bulk. Ice spinner was chosen to deal more effectively with grassy terrain teams (this was created before sneasler's ban), plus it does great against dragonite. The cherry on top is transform, which means that you can stall pokemon you had no right stalling, like kingambit or ting lu. Better yet, if you transform into a sweeper like manaphy or kingambit, then you could sweep yourself.

Overall, definetely a gimicky set, but at least it's fun. :)

people got gliscor suspect reqs easily with it and rillaboom on grassy terrain teams, which may have or may have not costed gliscor its ou status, hopefully kingambit and maybe ogerpon wellspring are next, ghold shouldn’t lose its ou status because gamefreak hates old pokemon
"hates" when they get new tools every gens. Plus you Don't put yourself in place of a company that would lose a lot for suffering of "old mons were better" if they didn't made the level of the pokemon rise each gen, but Also making very strong old mons get new tools every gen. Take gengar, It got a mega in gen6, nerfed in gen7 And people complained a lot. Then got a gigantamax in ss. To stay on topic, why should we not ban mons because they are new? only To be a little rebel against game freak? Get gliscor ressemble easely Is p subjective since It's not the suspect with most participation While It's a realky popular mon that a lot of people wanted To stay but didn't got reqs (I personally dont care about a bat more Or a bat less in the tier since nobody will say It enough, bur gholdengo Is the problem And that's what some people want To ignore). Don't fear a change of the meta. ghold ban means glisc unban means corv rise means glisc fall. And Don't tell shit like glisc wins against tusk Cause It's false if you play a viable corv (pressure) which means Or 1.it walls the tox eq set. 2 It pp stalls koff sets. 2 It walls Sd sets And can pivot on both. About manaphy, Just because a mon can beat a Top tier doesnt mean It Is broken, pyroar wins against gholdengo except if focus blast Is used And hits And scarf. And While manaphy Is a good mon overall, It can stipl be shut down if you can play(you should) against It. ogerpon Is smthing, tho. While It's ban Is not as important as ghold's as it won't change a whole meta, it must be looked At. Very threatening when tera'd, it Is the prood Tera preview Is shit And a ban Tera Is pointless At this stage. It's been a year now since gen9 arrived on showdown, And I think we can play around it 70% of the time, And There Is 20% chance of us missplaying, And 7.5% of the teambuilder skill issue And Then the remajning 2.5% of Tera Is strong.

I always hated it day 1. Weavile was already top tier in Gen 8 with the inaccurate Triple Axel and Knock Off with a Rocks weak typing. They said lower its speed by 5, add that to Atk, then give it a Poison move that has 1/6th chance to put you to sleep, paralyze you, or poison you, give it STAB Close Combat so Steel types aren’t safe unless you’re Gholdengo, resist Stealth Rock, and now also better against priority.
And THEN they gave it Unburden on top if that.
Also keep in mind that people play on sim too, so Sneasler was semi-buffed-ish. If you used Dire Claw and got 2 sleeps in a row, you’d have to forfeit on cart, which definitely goes to show how odd Sleep Clause is today.

I am honestly not surprised with the Sneasler ban I remember people on Smogon having speculated for its ban when we figured out it got Unburden.

I wonder however if Gholdengo & Kinggambit gets banned if the complete metagame would change

To stay on topic, why should we not ban mons because they are new? only To be a little rebel against game freak? Get gliscor ressemble easely Is p subjective since It's not the suspect with most participation While It's a realky popular mon that a lot of people wanted To stay but didn't got reqs
[/QUOTE
Smogon banning mons to be a little diff from GF like a teen tries to be rebellious to their parents just to be different is a funny picture. Also lol no, if you scroll through the Reqs thread most teams were gliscors balance or gterrain, which had bans, or webs.

And Don't tell shit like glisc wins against tusk Cause It's false if you play a viable corv (pressure) which means Or 1.it walls the tox eq set. 2 It pp stalls koff sets. 2 It walls Sd sets And can pivot on both. About manaphy, Just because a mon can beat a Top tier doesnt mean It Is broken, pyroar wins against gholdengo except if focus blast Is used And hits And scarf. And While manaphy Is a good mon overall, It can stipl be shut down if you can play(you should) against It.
I can see you’re bad at English, but what I can read doesn’t make sense. Glisc did beat tusk, and how does that become not true when you have a pressure corv? Sure you can switch in your Corv on the toxics and eqs but that’s the corv walling Glisc not tusk suddenly beating it. I think you also attempt to say that manaphy is good but not busted because it beats a top tier hence the pyroar comparison for some reason? Manaphy is just a good Mon by itself, a amazing set up sweeper. And it’s shut down by playing against it with what? Maybe you meant to put Waterpon in this sentence and the next.

Okay, quick take on things:
HECK YES!!! GO COUNCIL WOOOO!!!
As a resident Bad Player, I almost hit 1500 from 1000 (yeah yeah, low elo, I know) just using the long sneasel.
I probably could've gone higher, but I decided to toy with Electric Terrain (and I'm bad lol)

So glad this thing is gone. People who are saying it was free ELO are absolutely correct.
I'm excited to see what the next few weeks will bring even though I won't be playing, because I can't just get free wins without Sneasler unless I want to use Kingambit and five leads

People hate what 10 loud people hate
if "loud people" had as much influence over public opinion and tiering as you claim, gambit would have been banned ages ago
So glad this thing is gone. People who are saying it was free ELO are absolutely correct.
i'm now realizing that this was probably my last chance in dlc1 to flowchart my way into high ladder instead of actually using my brain and i squandered it doing other shit like "spending time with family"

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If we need to ban an entire second MODERN OU, id say thats too far and we fucked up somewhere. have to specify because some fuckwit will say "oh but gen wun ou had 13 mons!"
If you're implying that instead of banning the mons we ban a greater unifying issue then I agree. If you are just against banning alot of mons just because sorry I just can't

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

To be honest you have to take a picture of the meta, which has been in shambles since HOME to be quite honest (not enough time to fix every single issue, and things that might seem like an issue don't get brought up because there's bigger things to take care of). Sneasler has always been an issue since it's release, Rillaboom is the best setter without a doubt when it comes to terrain because the team doesn't have to be based off of terrain, but Sneasler and Rillaboom separately are OU mons without them combining for the perfect combo. Sneasler has always been problematic but there was always bigger fish to fry, Kingambit, Zamazenta, Baxcalibur, Ogerpon-Fire, Gliscor, Urshifu-RS, etc. It isn't a sudden thing a lot of people were against this mon from the beginning but people didn't care to address it until they had time for it. Same thing with Garganacl, it is a broken mon but it will always fly under the radar when there's other things to target. I'm sure in the future we'll probably have a Garganacl test even though it's not on anyone's radar.

Manaphy is another good example of a mon that is under the radar currently but probably deserves some sort of attention. Long story short, this is not an all of the sudden thing, but when the council / community had time we're here to address it. Rillaboom got really good with Grassy Glide though and that's what put Sneaslers usage over the top imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)