Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What have people been using to handle magearna? I was using Heatran, but after getting Tera Blasted I’m not to sure anymore.
Specially defensive Scream Tail with Dazzling Gleam, Encore, Protect, and Wish is good for forcing out all Stored Power variants of Magearna. Scream Tail is shaky into all other sets though, so you will likely need a secondary check.

This might’ve been asked but what is gonna happen with the stats tomorrow, are certain mons gonna be sent down to lower tiers (like Calyrex, Wyrdeer, Electrode-H) or are we gonna wait a month?

Tera Fairy Magearna is pretty fun. Might seem like an odd choice compared to other Tera-types like Water, but Tera Fairy super buffs Draining Kiss from 75 BP after STAB to 120 BP, which means its recovering way more health from its main move.

I'm not 100% sold on it being broken just yet because several Pokemon like Gholdengo, Dirge, Spdef Lando and Glowking can give it trouble, but it has options to get around all of these & almost all of them are food for its partner H!Samurott. Very likely to be broken, but I don't think its the same day 1 ban Pokemon that Regieleki was lol

ID BP already has really bad 4MSS. You want sub to avoid status without losing a ton of tempo. You want crunch for ghosts. You want Behemoth Bash for fairies. You want ice gang for grounds like Lando T or Tusk. Rest loses you so much tempo since clerics are extremely rare and two turns of sleep can be game losing. Trying to fit rest in to in theory win a few mus is just going to lower your wr into the field.
You're overthinking it. ID + BP + rest + nearly anything in the 4th slot, potentially with tera, is a win con with only a handful of mons that can hard stop it. That is the definition of broken.

I am personally using sub + crunch instead of rest, but I have lost games to rest.

This might’ve been asked but what is gonna happen with the stats tomorrow, are certain mons gonna be sent down to lower tiers (like Calyrex, Wyrdeer, Electrode-H) or are we gonna wait a month?
The mons who enter the tier in the last days of the month stay OU until the next one, or at least that has happened to the Pokémon added with raids not sure why it would be different this time.

NoobHereWaddup

Tri Attack will freeze
is a Tiering Contributor
What have people been using to handle magearna? I was using Heatran, but after getting Tera Blasted I’m not to sure anymore.
I mean, is there a definitive answer to magearna? many mons check the stored power variants but im pretty sure none of those mons like getting hit by a volt swtich from any other variant. Heatran sounds fine against magearna but is very vulnerable to pretty much all of magearna's tera options
Personally used ceruledge, which has worked against stored power variants to an extent, but again, i don't think it appreciates volt switch either

I mean, is there a definitive answer to magearna? many mons check the stored power variants but im pretty sure none of those mons like getting hit by a volt swtich from any other variant. Heatran sounds fine against magearna but is very vulnerable to pretty much all of magearna's tera options
Personally used ceruledge, which has worked against stored power variants to an extent, but again, i don't think it appreciates volt switch either
It's like Sneasler. If you can counter a mon with Volt Switch or U-turn, you need to account for such a move. Like "If Ting-Lu beats Stored Power Magearna, and it is immune to Volt Switch, is it safe? Or can it beat Specs sets?" as an example

Here's how I feel about Home OU so far.

Quickbans
  • :magearna: obviously broken. hopefully council takes action quickly, like they did with leki.
  • :zamazenta-crowned: this feels obviously broken, too, but some people seem to disagree. rn i'm finding this set prety good: ID/BP/Crunch/HSlam , EVs 96/0/252/0-/0/160+, Tera Fly.
    i don't think this mon rewards good play and just restricts the teambuilding process massively. it also doesn't even serve much use in terms of "broken checks broken", since a lot of the mons it invalidates aren't overwhelming, besides pao. zama just worsens the tier imo and i would advocate for a quickban.
  • :chien-pao: nothing really changed for pao post-home, besides zama and mage which i think should be banned anyways. i don't think this mon should stay, it's just too good for this tier even with the new guys.
  • :zamazenta: he's #4 on this list for a reason, i don't think he's quite as bad as the crowned one but it's already pretty centralising and not fun. i think the first 3 guys need to be banned for us to see just how broken regular zama will be.
Radar
  • :sneasler: dire claw is a cheese move and i'd consider it kinda uncompetitive like king's rock and would personally opt to ban the move, but knowing they'd ban the mon instead makes me lean towards just keeping it in the tier for now.
  • :ursaluna: heard people want this banned? idk, i think she's pretty exploitable and is at her best on TR, a niche playstyle. i don't think stall really has a solid counter for her yet but everything else - the vast majority of this offense-filled tier - does just fine.
  • *Tera* is the reason why Regieleki got banned. i don't think a tera ban would save any of the other guys though. and fwiw i still would like Tera Preview. i think once those quickbans are done, it'd be cool if the council retested Tera.
Surprisingly Good
  • :basculegion: basculegion rain is like 50% of 1600-1800s. i dont think its broken its just good vs a lot of the offense that people are using rn. i think we'll start to see mons like volcanion, pex, slowking, dozo, torkoal, and wake rise in usage to balance out the rain spam.
  • :samurott-hisui: unironically one of the best mons in the tier, like A+, which is crazy for a samurott form. ceasless edge is just so free, and it isn't easily walled by anything, and for such a "one broken move" mon, it has a pretty good variety of options like LO, sash, and scarf with priority and even mixed options
  • :regidrago: this mon is very unserious but it's also very good in the right matchups. i think they'll appreciate a magearna & zama-c ban, and might eventually actually become a serious threat. tera fire is a cool option i've found to hit corv/valiant/enam in one slot alongside dd dclaw eq.
  • :slowking-galar: chilly reception is so good on this guy. i think he's just a little exploitable right now with his set of weaknesses into the current meta. i think black sludge trick might become more of a thing this gen.
Surprisingly Bad
  • :arcanine-hisui: this mon might not get a niche in the tier unfortunately. it just doesnt hit as hard as you'd hope it to, sadly it's no darmanitan.
  • :enamorus: this mon is weird i think the superpower sets kinda suck but scarf 3atks+hwish is cool. also because of her it's now optimal to make physical attackers female to avoid cute charm procs on non-contrary sets.
  • :tornadus-therian: knock fog was a huge part of his identity before and now they're gone. i think lando continues to be a solid mon but torn is more restricted now, and is even more reliant on inaccurate moves.
  • :lilligant-hisui: this mon can't hit a move to save its life
  • :moltres-galar: idek if this mon is bad or not because i still haven't seen one in like a couple hundred games. where is this mon?? lol
Losers (Mons that dropped viability)
  • :kingambit: kinda sucks in zamazenta meta. it now also needs to consider defiant for lando-t, which is interesting i guess.
  • :hatterene: heatran is the new trans rep in the tier. she's now kinda unreliable at preventing hazards bc tran doesn't care about her.
  • :floatzel: basculegion completely outclasses float now
  • :gholdengo: a bunch of new guys make his life harder, but at least the hazard removal still sucks.

ID BP already has really bad 4MSS. You want sub to avoid status without losing a ton of tempo. You want crunch for ghosts. You want Behemoth Bash for fairies. You want ice gang for grounds like Lando T or Tusk. Rest loses you so much tempo since clerics are extremely rare and two turns of sleep can be game losing. Trying to fit rest in to in theory win a few mus is just going to lower your wr into the field.
You don't need Behemoth Bash for fairies, at all. All fairies except for maybe Hatt gets 2hko easily after +3

+3 252+ Def Zamazenta-Crowned Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Iron Valiant: 206-243 (71.2 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+3 252+ Def Zamazenta-Crowned Body Press vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Magearna: 247-292 (67.8 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+3 252+ Def Zamazenta-Crowned Body Press vs. 116 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 228-268 (61.6 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+3 252+ Def Zamazenta-Crowned Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Enamorus: 127-149 (43.9 - 51.5%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO

And this is just +3. Zamazenta-C can get to plus 6 very easily since it has 128 base speed and 92/140/140 bulk. There really isn't many things stopping it from setting up.

The only issues are Unaware users. That's it. And maybe risk of paralysis/burn from Static/flame body and Will o Wisp. But those apply to every single physical attacker, not just Zama-C. Meanwhile Zama-C steamrolls opponent and they are completely helpless without having the specific tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)