All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

I was playing gen 4 random battles and had Encore used against me. However, this lasted MORE than the maximum of 7 turns.
After turn 8 my Pokemon fainted, so I don't know if it would have worn off then.
Bulbapedia, Pokemondb, Serebii and such all list the move as 3 to 7 turns since Pokemon Platinum/Heartgold/Soulsilver, however Smogon lists it as 4-8 turns.

Why is there a difference between Smogon and all other sources and how can I know which one is actually correct?
I have been told in the chat to blindly trust Smogon, but I'd like an actual answer to this, as it could have costed me the game if I would have been unlucky.

Game replay:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4randombattle-1560531443-05460lggz0hbweaansc2f282q2bmabapw

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was playing gen 4 random battles and had Encore used against me. However, this lasted MORE than the maximum of 7 turns.
After turn 8 my Pokemon fainted, so I don't know if it would have worn off then.
Bulbapedia, Pokemondb, Serebii and such all list the move as 3 to 7 turns since Pokemon Platinum/Heartgold/Soulsilver, however Smogon lists it as 4-8 turns.

Why is there a difference between Smogon and all other sources and how can I know which one is actually correct?
I have been told in the chat to blindly trust Smogon, but I'd like an actual answer to this, as it could have costed me the game if I would have been unlucky.

Game replay:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4randombattle-1560531443-05460lggz0hbweaansc2f282q2bmabapw
Hey, sorry it took so long to get back to you on this but we have an answer courtesy of a few people. I brought this up, and Lumari tested it in-game and was able to get an 8-turn Encore in-game. In addition, our lovely Research Leader Marty confirmed that despite the in-game description saying it's 3-7 turns (which is even intended in the game's source code), something somewhere else in the code makes it "not behave as intended" and actually makes Encore last 4-8 turns. Hopefully this is a satisfactory answer other than "just blindly trust Smogon" haha.

Thanks again Lumari and Marty!

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
12wildy ftr just to be clear reason why ppl say "just trust Smogon" is because Bulbapedia is maintained by "everyone" while our descriptions are written by one of the main mechanics experts on the planet basically. Obviously no source is entirely immune to errors but overall circumstances do warrant defaulting to Smogon when different sources disagree.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Hi, just to clarify, the duration of Encore in HGSS is 4-8 turns. If the Encore user is faster than the target it's 4-8 "actual" turns of Encore, and if the target moved before getting Encored it's 3-7 "actual" turns. The Diamond and Pearl source code implements it as a duration of 3-7 and a patch in Platinum's source changes it to 2-6, but clearly that doesn't reflect reality.

Lumari pointed out that in the replay above the Encore user moved second and it still lasted 8 turns, but this is a bug with the sim (which I will fix) and not the description. Thanks!

Yes, these are all much more satisfying answer! Of course Bulbapedia can be wrong and has been wrong before, but that doesn't mean I should assume it to be wrong, I wanted to be sure.
Encore lasting 8 turns including the turn it is used makes sense if it is programmed that way, but I'm glad to see it confirmed that an actual bug happened and that I wasn't being crazy!

Thank you for the thorough response!

Where is the RoA mechanics research thread? I feel like I have seen it before, but I can't seem to find it by searching through the forums for some reason. (I'm specifically looking for sun & moon)

Where can I find information on the updates to ADV UU, such as the recent Armaldo suspect test? I have a strong attachment to ADV and want to learn and be a part of the coming changes.

Can someone help me find threads that motivated crobat's suspect in gen 4 UU? Every time I use the search bar on this forum, the results are all after 2009, which is after it got banned and therefore useless. Also does anyone know how to search for posts in old gen forums that were made before a certain date? I tried using smogon's advanced search, and all I get is the option to search for posts newer than some day, which is the exact opposite of what I need.
Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 8.54.44 PM.png

Siatam

is a Tutoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
RoA Leader
Can someone help me find threads that motivated crobat's suspect in gen 4 UU? Every time I use the search bar on this forum, the results are all after 2009, which is after it got banned and therefore useless. Also does anyone know how to search for posts in old gen forums that were made before a certain date? I tried using smogon's advanced search, and all I get is the option to search for posts newer than some day, which is the exact opposite of what I need.View attachment 441663
The main thread you are looking for is here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-bold-suspect-nominations-round-2.55095/
This thread resulted in Crobat's nomination for a suspect and eventual banning.

Some other threads you may enjoy:
Pre-Crobat vote #1 meta discussion: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-uu-six-deadly-suspects.51226/
Pre-Crobat vote #2 meta discussion: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-uu-a-farewell-to-kings.53398/
Crobat voting thread #1 (Result UU): https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/crobat-voting.53357/
Crobat voting thread #2 (Result BL): https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/crobat-vote.58797/

Deoxys remembers all its moves when changing forms, right? Does this mean I can get a Deoxys that knows superpower, switcheroo, and swift at the same time by using the move reminder?

Excluding RBY for obvious reasons, what is the most functional team you can make for a generation of OU, using only Pokémon from one different generation? For example a GSC team built around Snorlax, Zapdos, Cloyster, and three more Gen 1 mons, or a DPP team built around Tyranitar, Skarmory, Blissey, and three more Gen 2 mons.

Excluding RBY for obvious reasons, what is the most functional team you can make for a generation of OU, using only Pokémon from one different generation? For example a GSC team built around Snorlax, Zapdos, Cloyster, and three more Gen 1 mons, or a DPP team built around Tyranitar, Skarmory, Blissey, and three more Gen 2 mons.
ADV OU would probably have a reasonable team of Skarmory + Tyranitar + Blissey + Suicune + Heracross + Donphan/Cloyster/Forretress/Steelix (probably Donphan or Steelix depending on want for Rapid Spin since Heracross as the only rock resist seems bad), but it wouldn't be the most optimal team composition compared to using every generation available.

An all Hoenn team may also be semi-viable but the Johto team just seems better than anything I could build off the top of my head.

What goes into the community choice offerings each month? I would have liked to see Ubers offered among the Gen 4 voting choices, as Ubers is not in January rotation and not on cool down.

When multiple Pokemon switch in the same turn in gen 1 and gen 2, how does the game determine the order? Does it use speed or something like gen 3's "player 1 and player 2" mechanic?

Siatam

is a Tutoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
RoA Leader
When multiple Pokemon switch in the same turn in gen 1 and gen 2, how does the game determine the order? Does it use speed or something like gen 3's "player 1 and player 2" mechanic?
It uses the speed of the Pokemon that are leaving the field. I.e. if it is Snorlax vs Jolteon and both switch out on the same turn the Jolteon switch occurs first.

Whether on Smogon's Pokédex or on Showdown, there has been the implementation of the PU for RBY and for ADV. Conversely, this isn't the case for GSC and for DPP, with nevertheless the presence of some analyzes for the latter. A standardization of the hierarchy system will be put in place soon, or the PU isn't yet sufficiently developed for the generations concerned (which I doubt)?

Edit (x2): Siatam Sorry to insist, I see no alternative

Last edited:
So there's no mechanic that switches a Pokemon's attack stats (like how wonder room switches defense stats) or turns snore into a physical move?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)