Smogon 2022 Death Bingo [FINAL]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, my mildly aggressive comment wasn’t about the queen specifically, but the thread as a whole which I was recently reminded of by the queen’s death. Look, they’re people, okay?

okay I really hope you’re joking
okay, let's ignore the queen as an example then and discuss the thread as a whole. can you explain to me when or where you felt there was genuine celebration or malicious intent in this thread after a death? when betty white passed away, were you equally as disgusted by this thread than you were to the queen's death?

because my theory is that none of you that oppose this threads existence actually have any substantial, good reasons as to why it shouldn't exist. you grasp on the "morality" of death but find yourselves conflicted based on who it is. if Rupert Murdoch were to have died today, would you actually care? would you be grieving for his family? or would you instead take the safe route and call the celebrations (where there 100% would be) crass because the idea of death being celebrated, or treated as a game, is foreign to you? monkfish's thread on celebrity births, despite the misunderstanding of it by some of the very people that posted in it, does a great job of highlighting the hypocrisy surrounding celebrity culture and what is/what is not okay to talk about.

edit: i think another large part is that a good chunk of the younger people on here struggle to distinguish satire and sarcasm from sincerity. go look at the Onion's article on the Queen's death and tell me how it differs from this thread. you can argue it is hard to distinguish sarcasm in text but i think a majority of people would tell you it's quite easy if you add even the tiniest amount of nuance to things.

I don't really post here much but I just want to say that since learning about this thread, every single time a celebrity dies I think about it. This is a weird mind curse that lurking Smogon has afflicted me with. First the Queen, now Pele and (one of) the Popes in the space of a day. I don't hate this thread or anything though, just the way it lives in my mind.

Unfortunately the only person who did (bluri) was DQed, so no.
Not to nitpick btw, but you did reply to their post saying you wouldn't DQ them.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
i will win next year, this i swear.

and i mean that. my new year's resolution is to ensure that rupert murdoch finally pops his clogs, by hook or by crook. might as well take out a few others for points along the way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)