Resource Scarlet & Violet BSS Discussion

Does anyone have a good answer to Skeledirge and sleep(I realize the two can be together as well?) Preferably not weak to Hydreigon...oh.

It needs to be strong vs Annihilape. That's the main thing braviary excels at. So my Clodsire idea is now useless.

I don't have any other requirements, braviary is flying, but it's not my Dondozo answer, I have something else.

Edit: looking at Honchkrow.

Last edited:
Anyone try cryogonal as a dondozo check?

On paper, it's quite interesting.

Access to freeze dry which hits water, grass and dragon all super effectively.

Access to levitate to be immune to fissure.

Can terra electric for bolt beam coverage

Has access to dual screens

Decent special bulk and recover at a good 105 speed

252 SpA Cryogonal Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dondozo: 260-308 (51.5 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Cryogonal Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dondozo: 174-206 (34.5 - 40.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

While liquidation under reflect 4hkos/3hkos, depending on speed investment.

I was thinking a set like this:

Cryogonal @ Light Clay
Level: 100
Timid Nature
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
- Recover
- Freeze-Dry
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Which makes liquidation a 4hko under reflect, while having enough speed to outrun jolly garchomp

0 Atk Dondozo Liquidation vs. 24 HP / 0 Def Cryogonal through Reflect: 79-93 (25.7 - 30.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Last edited:
I forgot I had Annihilape covered as is, and now that I'm using a Mon for all my previous weaknesses I identified here, braviary can go.

What handles Sylveon well, without needing to Tera? Type wise it's hard, you can expect fairy/ghost/fire. I already have a Mon similar to toxapex, who would take the main two moves. Grafaiai and Salazzle have the right types, but are weak. I guess there's Pyroar...

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Does anyone have a really good Salamence team ? Been trying to figure one out now for a bit.
It's not specifically a Salamence team, but I have been using it as a lead (my full team is in the Team Bazaar thread)

Salamence @ Life Orb
Jolly
Moxie
Tera type: Steel
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
- Dual Wingbeat
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

On occasion, I'll see lead Baxcalibur and Garchomp, but they're nowhere near as common as Dragapult and Meowscarada. Against the latter two I'm able to get a free Dragon Dance off because of Terastallization; Meowscarada will switch out (whether with Protean U-Turn or after hitting me with Play Rough), and Dragapult never stays in.

Ive seen fire mence with terablast and I really loved the idea behind it. What other teras can be useful for it, beyond steel? Elec for flying gar and don? Water for skele? Fly for insane wingbeat?

drcossack

Ive seen fire mence with terablast and I really loved the idea behind it. What other teras can be useful for it, beyond steel? Elec for flying gar and don? Water for skele? Fly for insane wingbeat?
Fairy Tera *might* be useful for the Dragon immunity, but I also feel like it's too niche to bother with it. I thought about Tera Blast, but couldn't find a reason to include it on the Moxie set; I ended up breeding a Timid/Special Salamence that I wanted to try in doubles/VGC (but that veers to off-topic), which might get more mileage out of Tera Blast. I just don't know what Tera type(s) I'd want to give it.

I didn't think of bulk up! I have BB/ CC/ U-turn/ rock slide. I'll see what else I can do.

I dropped U-turn, is that good, or should I drop rock slide and change to defiant?
I would personally run life orb+sheer force for the guaranteed power with brave bird/body slam/bulk up/roost

Anyone try cryogonal as a dondozo check?

On paper, it's quite interesting.

Access to freeze dry which hits water, grass and dragon all super effectively.

Access to levitate to be immune to fissure.

Can terra electric for bolt beam coverage

Has access to dual screens

Decent special bulk and recover at a good 105 speed

252 SpA Cryogonal Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dondozo: 260-308 (51.5 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Cryogonal Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dondozo: 174-206 (34.5 - 40.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

While liquidation under reflect 4hkos/3hkos, depending on speed investment.

I was thinking a set like this:

Cryogonal @ Light Clay
Level: 100
Timid Nature
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
- Recover
- Freeze-Dry
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Which makes liquidation a 4hko under reflect, while having enough speed to outrun jolly garchomp

0 Atk Dondozo Liquidation vs. 24 HP / 0 Def Cryogonal through Reflect: 79-93 (25.7 - 30.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
This is a really good idea. The last time I saw one of those it was just spamming sheer cold lol

Fire tera is very popular for the burn immunity. I used water for a bit because the boosted hydro pumps destroyed garganacl and skeledirge

Terablast water can do the same as hydro pump, or fails at ohko gar and dirge? Yeah, HP will be special while tera will be physical, but the accursacy...

O cool, I since dropped braviary altogether for honchkrow(seems to do the braviary's job of killing Annihilape, gets Dirge and stuff. Insomnia.) I never even thought of body slam though, probably too bad of coverage with steel Tera all over, but interesting idea!

I tried the new prankster in slot 6, Grafaiai. Bad stats and bad 4mss, can't really work. But I do need to cover Sylveon somewhat at least(fairly hard counter unneeded.) I don't like mons behind subs.

Ive been thinking on using Espeon, die to Magic Bounce. Too many yawn/wow users on BSS (Don, Skele...). A set like this:

Espeon @ Choose your item
Timid
Magic Bounce
Tera type: Fight
4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Wish
- TeraBlast

The idea is to set up, and start spamming Psychic/TerablastFight. I think on TeraFight due to hit at least for neutral. Corviknight is an issue due to his resist to both stabs, so it could be swap to TeraFire if needed, but then Armarouge will wall you endlessly.

Why is not Haxorus a major powerhouse in this meta full of levitates, dragonites, mimikyus and unawares? Ok, Don is still a headache, but he can take on dnite pre tera, rotom-w, mimikyu, skeledirge, hydreigo (usually steel/elec)... With DD, iron head, eq and dragon attack, he can be a terrible fow. Or with scarf, still outspeeds dnite after 1 dd. Dunno, maybe it is and I didnt realize until now when Im looking for counters of mimikyu xD

When I made it in I was 30,000. I have been playing a lot trying different things and even at 100,000 the competition is fierce. Anyone in quad digits or better is insanely good to me personally.

When I made it in I was 30,000. I have been playing a lot trying different things and even at 100,000 the competition is fierce. Anyone in quad digits or better is insanely good to me personally.
I agree, I am below 100k,l and routinely still see bog standard teams. I was low at start and it's gotten worse, but I'm probably still doing 'good' for the kinds of mons I bring. I don't really like Garganacl and Gholdengo/etc., and prefer the otherwise unseen Alomomola to Dondozo lol.

drcossack

When I first got to Master Ball, I was 35k rank. Peaked at 13k, currently over 100k after a lot of losses. Tried a few different Pokemon and I like a few of them: Haxorus, Gholdengo, Rotom-W. I want to try Sylveon and I have it EV'd, but I generally open with Terastallization/a Dragon.

Even at those rankings, there's a lot of bog standard stuff and I find it annoying. Not that I'm one to talk, since I'm doing the same thing. Then there's stuff that confuses me; in one of my games yesterday, I ended up facing a Garchomp lead that had Substitute.

I had the feeling that being 3v3 it will be mostly offense. But as more you climb the ladder, the more stalling teams show. Don, ske, bulkyrona, bp espathra, phazechomp...

Btw I not only play I also watch streamers such as flare or redemption, the few that streams bss sólo (I dislike doubles).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)