SV OU Pokemon Violet Team

Pokemon Violet Team

I'm fairly recently somewhat getting into competitive battling. Mostly first got into it in Sword and Sheild. I tend to just use pokemon that I like the designs of or I just find interesting. Even if some aren't as good as others. I just need a little help with this team I have going; so some Pokemon aren't actually complete yet. As in like some moves are temporary, held items are temporary, etc. But here's my team so far!
One thing I will say is I have NO idea on how I would ev spread any of these pokemon with the exception of Gyarados. So I wont have their ev spreads. As I want suggestions on those and what I need the most help with.

So Let me run through their movesets and reasonings for using them.
911.png

Crocotoa the Skeledirge ♂

So I was going to go with Fuecoco from the beginning even before I saw the final evolution. When I eventually got him to a Skeledirge I was so taken aback how good he looked animated. I also had chosen the water starter for the last two generations, I wanted to go either grass or fire this time around. I noticed he has some good Bulk with high Special attack but he wasn't fast which I was ok with. I tested a few things with him but I think I wanted him to be a sort of wallbreaker I guess. I had an idea to use Throat spray with Skeledirge to get +2 SP ATK due to his signature and Throat Spray (Torch Spray). I was also wanting to build him to be bulky.

Ability: Unaware
Item: Throat Spray
Torch Song
Shadow Ball
Earth Power
Slack off
Terra Type: Fire

971.png

Jack the Dachsbun ♂
When I saw this little dog, I squealed so loud. I own one dachshund; used to own two. I named him after my first Dachshund named Jack. We had to put him down a year ago. He was about 14 years old so I basically grew up alongside him. When I saw Dachsbun, I decided no matter what I'm keeping him on the team and decided to name him after Jack. I saw his stats and I was wanting to run a Body Press Build... the Baked Press Build. I tired it out some and it works really well but Honestly aside from Play Rough and Body Press I'm not too sure on what the other two moves should be. So the last two in his moveset are temporary. Baton Pass was something I'm just messing with. Being able to pass on the defense buffs. Psychic fangs for weakness coverage. As for held Item I'm trying out Ganlon Berry, per suggestion from a friend who's a competitive battler. I also chose fighting terra for stab body press.

Ability: Well-Baked Body
Nature: Impish
Item: Ganlon Berry
Play Rough
Body Press
Psychic Fangs
Baton Pass
Terra Type: Fighting

917.png

Abundunce the Dudunsparce ♂

Now let's get on with this one. I absolutely LOVE Dunsparce. Was my favorite since I played Colosseum. Colosseum was my first game and I still have it. Dunsparce is my most favorite pokemon in existence. When I heard he was getting evo I kept a grain of salt. When i finally saw it I was 50/50 on it... Still decided to use it. And let me say, I love it... it just works in my opinion. I have a three segment form which took me hours to get. His nickname is an inside joke. On how the Abundance of Dunsparce I had to hatch, hence his name. Now I wanted to use a set I have done (sorta) with Dunsparce. I thought about using the Para Flinch strat with him. I wanted to make a careful nature to boost special defense and maybe put evs into it. Dragon terra is for stab Dragon Rush

Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Careful
Item: Leftovers
Body Slam
Dragon Rush
Coil
Roost
Terra Type: Dragon

130-f.png

Scylla the Gyarados ♀

Gyarados is a Pokemon I always wanted to use! I never usually get the chance to due to me having a water starter or a water type pokemon by the time a chance came for one. So I decided to use one. It was always my most favorite pokemon of Gen 1. I consider her the Big Sister of my pokemon. (Yes I tend to give my Pokemon headcannons and all that lol). She carried through alot of the game. Overall throughout the game she was a hell of a fun pokemon to use. Now as a sweeper I'm not sure if i want Moxie or Intimidate. I'm leaning more towards Moxie. So ground terra type is for stab Earthquake and to get rid of her electric weakness

Ability: Intimidate (Wanting to use Moxie)
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
Waterfall
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Dragon Dance
Terra Type: Ground

951 (1).png

Velkhana the Baxcalibur♀

So I always for the most part, want to have a dragon type on the team as Dragon is my most favorite type. So I was debating on Frigibax and when I went to the area with my friend to find one. I found her in the wall of the cave and caught her. She was the fifth team member and I decided to name her Valkhana. I love her animation where she swings her tail from side to side. Its adorable. So I'm not sure on her moveset like at all. All I know is I want Glaive Rush and Icicle Crash. So the rest of the moves I'm not sure about. I'm not even sure about held item. So out of all the others this moveset will most likely be the most unfinished.

Ability: Thermal Exchange
Item: ???
Nature: Jolly
Glaive Rush
Icicle Crash
Iron Head
Dragon Dance
Terra Type: Ice

462.png

NRG the Magnezone

Now heres one pokemon I did not expect to be on my team. So far I'm willing to replace this one but at the same time I grew to quite like Magnezone. I just needed something to check Rock Fairy and Poison mostly and mostly resist Electric or be immune to it. My friend suggested Magnezone to me. So far, I was also debating on using Toedscruel in place of Magnezone so I'm not sure yet. But anyway, I'm also not sure as to what do with Magnezone. I was wanting it to be a Dual Screen setter with its stabs in Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon. I did flying terra type to remove two of its major weaknesses.

Ability: Sturdy
Item: Light Clay
Nature: Modest
Thunderbolt
Flash Cannon
Light Screen
Reflect
Terra Type: Flying

Also as I said I have no Idea what to do with Evs. So I didnt really do anything to the Evs yet. Except for Gyarados since Ik how she works. So I strongly need help with Evs for each of my members.

Last edited:

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
This forum is mostly for Pokemon Showdown rather than ingame teams, not sure if you’re asking for a rate of your ingame team or this is your team ported to Showdown. Either way I’ll try to improve this team for Showdown’s OU tier.

-Skeledirge is great as an Unaware tank, but Throat Spray seems unnecessary. It’s quite slow and can be forced out easily by threats like Chu-Yu so a lot of the time you’re forced to switch out and lose your boosts. A Will-O-Wisp Hex set seems to be the most popular right now:

Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Torch Song
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Slack Off

(To easily port this to a Showdown team, click Import/Export on a Pokemon slot and copy-paste it into there)

Tera Fairy is very good defensively. You could move the Special Defense EVs to Defense to double down on stopping physical attackers at the cost of matchups like Gholdengo.

-Dachsbun isn’t great but it’s useable. There are better Fairies like Tinkaton and Grimmsnarl but it’s pretty clear you’re very attached to your current team. Dachsbun differentiates itself through access to Wish. I see it has Baton Pass which is banned from OU, but it doesn’t matter because Ganlon Berry is rarely worth it. Leftovers is a lot better with a Wish/Protect set:

Dachsbun @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Play Rough
- Body Press

You’re again free to tinker around with Tera type and such depending on what you want to check.

-Dudunsparce’s main niche is Glare, which can paralyze almost everything in the metagame. There’s a handful of use cases here but I’d run it as a bulky Stealth Rock setter:

Dudunsparce @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe
Tera Type: Ghost
Bold Nature
- Glare
- Boomburst
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

Paraflinch strats are fun but they’re pretty easy to counter.

-Gyarados has a pretty good set already, however it really likes Tera Flying Tera Blast to finally get a good physical Flying move. I would swap out Ice Fang for this.

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Tera Blast

-Baxcalibur is a another good choice. Your set is good although I would go Earthquake instead of Iron Head:

Baxcalibur @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Glaive Rush
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

-As Magnezone seems to be the one you’re most willing to swap out, we’ll use this slot to fill in what you’re missing, namely a hazard remover. Hazard stack is more potent than ever this gen (okay, maybe that's a stretch, but Gholdengo sure makes it feel like it) due to Defog’s lessened distribution and Gholdengo shutting down all hazard clearing, so a hazard remover that can threaten Gholdengo is important. We’ll use Great Tusk for this but you can try other options like Iron Treads or Glimmora.

Great Tusk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fighting
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat
- Ice Spinner
- Rapid Spin

This team still isn’t very solid defensively, it lacks switch-ins to many prominent threats and has no speed control, but it’s the best I can make it without swapping out more Pokemon.

Last edited:
This forum is mostly for Pokemon Showdown rather than ingame teams, not sure if you’re asking for a rate of your ingame team or this is your team ported to Showdown. Either way I’ll try to improve this team for Showdown’s OU tier.

-Skeledirge is great as an Unaware tank, but Throat Spray seems unnecessary. It’s quite slow and can be forced out easily by threats like Chu-Yu so a lot of the time you’re forced to switch out and lose your boosts. A Will-O-Wisp Hex set seems to be the most popular right now:

Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Torch Song
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Slack Off

(To easily port this to a Showdown team, click Import/Export on a Pokemon slot and copy-paste it into there)

Tera Fairy is very good defensively. You could move the Special Defense EVs to Defense to double down on stopping physical attackers at the cost of matchups like Gholdengo.

-Dachsbun isn’t great but it’s useable. There are better Fairies like Tinkaton and Grimmsnarl but it’s pretty clear you’re very attached to your current team. Dachsbun differentiates itself through access to Wish. I see it has Baton Pass which is banned from OU, but it doesn’t matter because Ganlon Berry is rarely worth it. Leftovers is a lot better with a Wish/Protect set:

Dachsbun @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Play Rough
- Body Press

You’re again free to tinker around with Tera type and such depending on what you want to check.

-Dudunsparce’s main niche is Glare, which can paralyze almost everything in the metagame. There’s a handful of use cases here but I’d run it as a bulky Stealth Rock setter:

Dudunsparce @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe
Tera Type: Ghost
Bold Nature
- Glare
- Boomburst
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

Paraflinch strats are fun but they’re pretty easy to counter.

-Gyarados has a pretty good set already, however it really likes Tera Flying Tera Blast to finally get a good physical Flying move. I would swap out Ice Fang for this.

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Flying
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Tera Blast

-Baxcalibur is a another good choice. Your set is good although I would go Earthquake instead of Iron Head:

Baxcalibur @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Glaive Rush
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

-As Magnezone seems to be the one you’re most willing to swap out, we’ll use this slot to fill in what you’re missing, namely a hazard remover. Hazard stack is more potent than ever this gen (okay, maybe that's a stretch, but Gholdengo sure makes it feel like it) due to Defog’s lessened distribution and Gholdengo shutting down all hazard clearing, so a hazard remover that can threaten Gholdengo is important. We’ll use Great Tusk for this but you can try other options like Iron Treads or Glimmora.

Great Tusk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fighting
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat
- Ice Spinner
- Rapid Spin

This team still isn’t very solid defensively, it lacks switch-ins to many prominent threats and has no speed control, but it’s the best I can make it without swapping out more Pokemon.
I see, yes while I am attached to my team, I mainly ask cause I'm mostly going to battle against friends. They tend to competitively train their teams but not to the extent of like doing OU or anything they just use what they feel like and not mainly OU or stuff like that. Guess you can say like a lesser competitive play... if that makes sense? Like, they don't do pokemon showdown either. I looked through what you have said, and there are some things I never thought about. But I will take some considerations with the information you have given me.

Also one more question is it possible that I could somehow make my own set with some of the members and it actually works?

Also Edit: I didn't know this forum was for Showdown lol. I just new to Smogon all though I have looked at some stuff before. This is my first time actually registering on it.

Last edited:

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
I see, yes while I am attached to my team. I mainly ask cause I'm mostly going to battle against friends. They tend to competitively train their teams but not to the extent of like doing OU or anything they just use what they feel like and not mainly OU or stuff like that. Guess you can say like a lesser competitive play... if that makes sense? Like, they don't do pokemon showdown either. I looked through what you have said, and there are some things I never thought about. But I will take some considerations with the information you have given me.

Also one more question is it possible that I could somehow make my own set with some of the members and it actually works?

Also Edit: I didn't know this forum was for Showdown lol. I just new to Smogon all though I have looked at some stuff before. This is my first time actually registering on it.
Yes, there's plenty of room for innovation, especially with the gen being so new

As long as it's single battles my advice still holds up for the most part, just without the ease of changing abilities/tera types/ev spreads

Yes, there's plenty of room for innovation, especially with the gen being so new

As long as it's single battles my advice still holds up for the most part, just without the ease of changing abilities/tera types/ev spreads
Ah ok, I did take Dachsbun's set into high consideration... so I definitely will be doing that. I wanna try something with Skeledirge that I showed in my thread. Let's say I wanna stick with that for the time being would the ev spread still be the same that you suggested?

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
Yeah those EVs should also work for Throat Spray Skeledirge, or you could move some HP EVs into Special Attack. I've seen Throat Spray Skele recommended for Trick Room teams as well to make it more of an immediate threat.

Yeah those EVs should also work for Throat Spray Skeledirge, or you could move some HP EVs into Special Attack. I've seen Throat Spray Skele recommended for Trick Room teams as well to make it more of an immediate threat.
Ah, I would consider Trick Room if all my team members were slow or didnt rely on speed. But in the case of half of them they do.

Also I had considered Great Tusk but I was wanting to have something else maybe? At least something that isn't version exclusive cause tbh I was gonna shiny hunt the last member. I don't think I can do it since its version exclusive.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
Ah, I would consider Trick Room if all my team members were slow or didnt rely on speed. But in the case of half of them they do.

Also I had considered Great Tusk but I was wanting to have something else maybe? At least something that isn't version exclusive cause tbh I was gonna shiny hunt the last member. I don't think I can do it since its version exclusive.
Yeah, TR isn't really a good fit for your team.

Then Iron Treads is an option, it does pretty much the same thing with less minmaxed stats and a different typing. You could also use Scizor or Corviknight, although these don't threaten Gholdengo. Maushold is another option but its shiny is boring and its defensive utility is questionable.

Yeah, TR isn't really a good fit for your team.

Then Iron Treads is an option, it does pretty much the same thing with less minmaxed stats and a different typing. You could also use Scizor or Corviknight, although these don't threaten Gholdengo. Maushold is another option but its shiny is boring and its defensive utility is questionable.
If it helps none of my friends are using Gholdengo lol. We all agreed its stupid.

Wait... could Toedscruel work? I kinda want to hunt its shiny.

Yeah it works. So does Tatsugiri.
Hmm... maybe you could do one last thing for me. Give me a few possible canidates for my last team member... I want to try and choose between a few. So far its Toedscruel for me. As again I'm mostly going to battle my friends and not in online competitive play. More like a friendly battle but with trained pokemon as if they were competitive

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
If your friends set hazards then your main options are the hazard clearers I listed, plus I forgot to mention Glimmora.

If not you have plenty of options. Unaware Dondonzo is a good choice to give your team a defensive backbone, as are Clodsire and Garganacl. As for speed control (having a fast Pokemon to thwart setup sweepers), you could try Iron Bundle, Dragapult, Chien-Pao (although you can’t shiny hunt it), Meowscarada, Iron Valiant, or a Pokemon with a strong priority move like Scizor’s Bullet Punch, Palafin’s Jet Punch, Lokix’s First Impression, or Kingambit’s Sucker Punch.

Oh, and Extreme Speed Dragonite, Mach Punch Breloom... there are a lot of options.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)