Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
So... I just have to keep posting here and then I'll eventually be allowed to access the forum?
I get limiting who can MAKE threads, but limiting who can reply to threads by... how many replies they have kinda seems counter-intuitive?
Like, I've had this account since 2016, but forgot about it because I couldn't figure out why I wasn't allowed to respond to anything. The only reason I remembered it was when I tried to make a new account because I found the replies in the NatDex Identity thread Alarming, Especially from a consul member who does not seem to understand why the format exists since they are in favor of proposal A, which would remove pokemon from the format who's entire purpose is "You can use all the pokemon".

Like I get Anti-spam as a concept, but this kinda just encourages me to spam what few threads I CAN access to be allowed to access the thread I ACTUALLY want to respond to?

Like, I don't like doing this, but as far as I can tell, doing this is the only way I can be allowed to contribute?
And why 25? That's such an arbitrary number.

I Don't WANT to unnecessarily add 20 extra posts to this forum when 5 is all I needed, but I quite literally cannot do anything else to be able to contribute under the current rules.
This Anti-spam rule doesn't just encourage spam, it seems to FORCE it.

I'm trying to space these out so if there's some other way that just wasn't made aware to me to rack up these posts, I can, but considering I'm trying to respond to a thread about a rules change that would quite literally destroy my favorite format, And to criticize calling it a "Pet" format because it's actually both underdeveloped and (unintentionally) suppressed by the Showdown client, I'm kinda left with no other options here.
But I'm also afraid doing this will get me banned because I'm literally spamming the forum, but only because of the rule made to limit spam.
You're not getting access automatically anyway and arbitrarily raising your post count just to reach the limit is not going to help you.

So... I just have to keep posting here and then I'll eventually be allowed to access the forum?
I get limiting who can MAKE threads, but limiting who can reply to threads by... how many replies they have kinda seems counter-intuitive?
Like, I've had this account since 2016, but forgot about it because I couldn't figure out why I wasn't allowed to respond to anything. The only reason I remembered it was when I tried to make a new account because I found the replies in the NatDex Identity thread Alarming, Especially from a consul member who does not seem to understand why the format exists since they are in favor of proposal A, which would remove pokemon from the format who's entire purpose is "You can use all the pokemon".

Like I get Anti-spam as a concept, but this kinda just encourages me to spam what few threads I CAN access to be allowed to access the thread I ACTUALLY want to respond to?

Like, I don't like doing this, but as far as I can tell, doing this is the only way I can be allowed to contribute?
And why 25? That's such an arbitrary number.

I Don't WANT to unnecessarily add 20 extra posts to this forum when 5 is all I needed, but I quite literally cannot do anything else to be able to contribute under the current rules.
This Anti-spam rule doesn't just encourage spam, it seems to FORCE it.

I'm trying to space these out so if there's some other way that just wasn't made aware to me to rack up these posts, I can, but considering I'm trying to respond to a thread about a rules change that would quite literally destroy my favorite format, And to criticize calling it a "Pet" format because it's actually both underdeveloped and (unintentionally) suppressed by the Showdown client, I'm kinda left with no other options here.
But I'm also afraid doing this will get me banned because I'm literally spamming the forum, but only because of the rule made to limit spam.
"Your posts were merged together. Please do not post multiple times"

BUT HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO MAKE MY 25 POSTS THEN?

I can kinda see why so much conversation about competitive pokemon takes place OFF these forums now, at least, because who wants to do THIS to be allowed to contribute? It seems both arbitrary and counter-intuitive.
I don't like trying to fight the mods here, but please, how else am I supposed to do this? I'll stop posting for a while to wait for a response, and I'm sorry for the spam, but as I said, the rules seem to require me TO spam in order to be able to contribute to a thread.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
"Your posts were merged together. Please do not post multiple times"

BUT HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO MAKE MY 25 POSTS THEN?

I can kinda see why so much conversation about competitive pokemon takes place OFF these forums now, at least, because who wants to do THIS to be allowed to contribute? It seems both arbitrary and counter-intuitive.
I don't like trying to fight the mods here, but please, how else am I supposed to do this? I'll stop posting for a while to wait for a response, and I'm sorry for the spam, but as I said, the rules seem to require me TO spam in order to be able to contribute to a thread.
25 posts is barely anything and there are like literally thousands of threads you can make posts in to get that number, there’s even several subforums for off-topic discussion that don’t even revolve around Pokemon. The one thread you’re trying to post in is like the one out of tens of thousands that actually require a posting requirement.

25 posts is barely anything and there are like 1000 threads you can make posts in to get thay number, there’s even several subforums for off-topic discussion that don’t even revolve around Pokemon. This isnt really the place to be discussing this.
I can't post in the threads I want to post in though.
You are encouraging me to post in threads I have nothing to contribute to and have no interest in participating in.
I don't even know how to find these threads because every thread I want to participate in requires I request access.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I can't post in the threads I want to post in though.
You are encouraging me to post in threads I have nothing to contribute to and have no interest in participating in.
I don't even know how to find these threads because every thread I want to participate in requires I request access.
You have no interest in or desire to talk about anything competitive related other than that one specific National Dex thread?

Here is a link to the current National Dex discussion threa
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/national-dex-metagame-discussion.3710848/

and one for personal viability rankings:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/national-dex-personal-viability-rankings-thread.3710873/

Here is a link to the Other Metagames subforum, maybe you can find one you like:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/other-metagames.733/

Here is a link to Congregation of the Masses which has threads about all sorts of hobbies:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/congregation-of-the-masses.163/

I’m sure if you look you can find something you like enough to jump into the discussion.

You have no interest in or desire to talk about anything competitive related other than that one specific National Dex thread?

Here is a link to the current National Dex discussion threa
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/national-dex-metagame-discussion.3710848/

and one for personal viability rankings:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/national-dex-personal-viability-rankings-thread.3710873/

Here is a link to the Other Metagames subforum, maybe you can find one you like:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/other-metagames.733/

Here is a link to Congregation of the Masses which has threads about all sorts of hobbies:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/congregation-of-the-masses.163/

I’m sure if you look you can find something you like enough to jump into the discussion.
Sorry, I had assumed that all the major posts were locked like that.
I guess I'll go and figure out what threads I can contribute to in a non-spam way to be able to contribute to the one thread I want to.
(And I wish to contribute to that one thread because they are discussing banning all megas in National Dex, and that would destroy my favorite format, hence why I'm slightly focused on that one in particular.)

Thank you for actually answering my question and helping me, though. Genuinely, this was is a massive help.

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
When is CAP 32
There’s actually a thread for CAP-related questions, but I’ll try to answer your question here. Considering that Gen 9 CAP will most likely be playable on Showdown January-ish (there’s a bit of uncertainty around that), and that CAP is planning a team tournament around that time, I would expect CAP 32 to start February at the earliest but more likely sometime in March or April of 2023. This hasn’t been set in stone, though.

I hope this is the correct place to post this.

There is some javascript on the smogon dex website that makes it a pain to use. The text is loaded and unloaded as you scroll the page. It makes it so you can't run a proper ctrl+f to find something you are looking for. And the dex search doesn't include searching the text of a move or ability.

For instance, say I wanted to look at all multihit moves. There is no simple way to do that. The dex used to be good for that kind of browsing before the JS was added.

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
For instance, say I wanted to look at all multihit moves. There is no simple way to do that.
Hi Bonerstorm,

I can't help you with the JS but I can suggest an alternative way to look for moves or pokemon.

Although they're quite a bit clunkier and much less approachable for people affected by accessibility issues, there are a few very powerful Pokemon Showdown commands that you can use in chat rooms or battles to let you search for info.

/dexsearch [parameter], [parameter], [parameter], ...: searches for Pokémon that fulfill the selected criteria. You can also use /ds for short.
/movesearch [parameter], [parameter], [parameter], ...: searches for moves that fulfill the selected criteria.. You can also use /ms for short.

You can learn more about either command by typing /help [command name].

In your scenario, I could just type in /ms multihit to get the answer, or I could refine it further with something like /ms multihit, normal if I wanted only the normal type multihit moves.

Have a nice day.

is there any news on when the Gen 9 pokemon will all have official art? Like the art they show first thing on Bulbapedia, I don't know what to call it (I wanna say Sugomori art but I associate that more with the watercolor art and that's also probably a huge misnomer)

Quite Quiet

I need a kitchen knife that doesn't whisper to me
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I hope this is the correct place to post this.

There is some javascript on the smogon dex website that makes it a pain to use. The text is loaded and unloaded as you scroll the page. It makes it so you can't run a proper ctrl+f to find something you are looking for. And the dex search doesn't include searching the text of a move or ability.

For instance, say I wanted to look at all multihit moves. There is no simple way to do that. The dex used to be good for that kind of browsing before the JS was added.
I was redirected back to https://www.smogon.com/dex/ after asking:
How do I use the live search?
Typing anywhere on the page will open the live search (lol, not this page, you have to select a generation first). For those on mobile, you need to click the Search icon. By default, it just searches the names of various Dex stuff. You can switch the field searched by typing a period, followed by the field you want to search. For example, ".ability f fire" will find all Pokemon with the ability Flash Fire.

Available search filters:
  • .ability, .a
  • .type, .t
  • .damage, .dmg (damage category for moves)
  • .description, .desc, .d
  • .tag
Where .d = search in description, so if you were looking for multi-hit moves I suppose you would search for ".d hits".

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Why do unauthorized threads get locked instead of simply deleted?
They usually eventually get deleted, but since mods would like the people posting said threads to not just go and do it again, they usually put a message about a thread needing approval/being in the wrong place and lock the thread so the poster can see the message. It also slightly helps remind other newer users that threads need approval before being posted. Just deleting the thread doesn't have quite the same effect.

Giyu

Love is the most twisted curse of them all
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
They usually eventually get deleted, but since mods would like the people posting said threads to not just go and do it again, they usually put a message about a thread needing approval/being in the wrong place and lock the thread so the poster can see the message. It also slightly helps remind other newer users that threads need approval before being posted. Just deleting the thread doesn't have quite the same effect.
Makes a lot of sense, thank you!

Hello,

I've been playing lot's of pokemon already and sometimes saw youtubers showing doc where it showed which pokemons were to go up or down or their usages and I wanted to know where I could see those.

Thanks !

Quite Quiet

I need a kitchen knife that doesn't whisper to me
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Is this thread only simple question's and answers for OU? I have a question about a tourney thread I saw and got curious. I will ask the question and mods can delete if this is not the place to ask.

In this tread (https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spl-xiv-manager-signups.3712200/) 4 people signed up to be the mangers of the raiders. how do u guys decide what duo manages the team
Some things that can influence who gets which team:
- How qualified the manager + assistant is
- Historical ties to any particular team
- Which team they ask for in their sign up
- People who sign up as jokes and doesn't intend to manage
- Recently tourbanned users who just stopped being tourbanned wouldn't qualify even if they can sign up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)