SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

Request for anyone with the game:

SWSH had a feature that allowed you to "equip" ribbons on the ribbon screen. When you tossed out a Pokemon, it'd come out with a title like "X the Galar Champion". Is this still feature still in SV? In SWSH you could just press A on the mark / ribbon screen and select your title. If anyone has a mark or ribbon on their Pokemon, could you verify if it can or can't be equipped?
Marks/ribbons are in and can be equipped. They display a toast in battle like in SWSH. However, you can't see them or enable/disable them in the box (but you see they have one but it's not equipped), they have to be in your party for some reason. This in an infuriating downgrade from SWSH, but I'm only on version 1.0.0 so I hope that gets fixed.

mark1.png

mark2.png

Awhile back someone asked about apriballs. Here's a picture of the rewards track of the pokedex, which shows them as reward tiers for completion:

apri2.png

You guys know you can just... not switch, right? I'm not a huge fan of getting rid of set mode altogether but honestly it doesn't change anything other than requiring a little bit of integrity to just not switch even if it would benefit you to do so.
Even if you don't switch the game tells you what Pokemon they're sending out meaning if you know you would need to switch why wouldn't you because not switching and then switching anyway doesn't make sense. There's a reason why people liked set mode to simulate end game battle facilities throughout the whole game and getting in that frame of mind for online play.

So there has been a lot of theorymoning about Teras but can you actually change your Tera type easily? Is it randomly generated or will most of them only be available via raids like GMax was?

So there has been a lot of theorymoning about Teras but can you actually change your Tera type easily? Is it randomly generated or will most of them only be available via raids like GMax was?
The tera type is randomly generated (though certain tera-spawns have fixed type).

You can change it relatively easily, collecting 50 tera-shards of the type you want to gain (each tera raid usually drops 1-5 of them) and then bringing the pokemon to the dedicated NPC.

Even if you don't switch the game tells you what Pokemon they're sending out meaning if you know you would need to switch why wouldn't you because not switching and then switching anyway doesn't make sense.
If this is your mentality, then why would you play on Set mode? Not switching and then switching anyways simulates exactly what would happen on set mode lol. The game telling you what Pokemon they're about to send out means literally nothing if you just... don't switch.

Don't worry, speedrunners will already be in shambles at trying to figure how to break this game for a couple months. The "loss" of Switch isn't going to be felt cause knowing them they'll just spam a single pokemon anyway :psysly:
It'll be interesting to see how they handle the fact that the optimal route is now no longer "Go to Crown Tundra, lose to Peony, grab a 'mon from the Dynamax Raid Den, grab the first 3 badges, lose to a horse to teleport across the wild area, beat the game."

Marks/ribbons are in and can be equipped. They display a toast in battle like in SWSH. However, you can't see them or enable/disable them in the box (but you see they have one but it's not equipped), they have to be in your party for some reason. This in an infuriating downgrade from SWSH, but I'm only on version 1.0.0 so I hope that gets fixed.

Awhile back someone asked about apriballs. Here's a picture of the rewards track of the pokedex, which shows them as reward tiers for completion:

I had no idea there were rewards based on pokedex completion this is super neato

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the fact that the optimal route is now no longer "Go to Crown Tundra, lose to Peony, grab a 'mon from the Dynamax Raid Den, grab the first 3 badges, lose to a horse to teleport across the wild area, beat the game."
Honestly wild guess is they'll go the original SwSh route, aka "catch a stone-evo" (see, growlithe for one), evolve asap, teach lvl 1 moves, faceroll game with it.

There are fixed tera-spawns, so it's possible they'll catch a second or third poke at some point, kinda like they used to go starter > arcanine > excadrill before other routes were devised / DLCs happened.

It's also worth mentioning that you are basically required to have 3 pokemon to handle the Team Star strongholds so...
Huh - the game has 10 new ribbons?
Code:
TITAN_PALDEA_CHAMP
TITAN_HUGE
TITAN_TINY
TITAN_PICKING_UP_THINGS
TITAN_PARTNER
TITAN_GOURM
TITAN_ONE_CHANCE_IN_A_MILLION
TITAN_OYABUN
TITAN_STRONGEST
TITAN_NUSHI
Wonder what the english names for these are...
Well we already know one, the one in a million was already mentioned by someone earlier.

Huge / Tiny I'm pretty confident are probably "caught a max-min size" respectively. Rip completionists for this one, literally no way to get both on a pokemon.

If this is your mentality, then why would you play on Set mode? Not switching and then switching anyways simulates exactly what would happen on set mode lol. The game telling you what Pokemon they're about to send out means literally nothing if you just... don't switch.
I straight up said the reasons why people play on set mode which you specifically ignored and didn't even have in your reply.

Edit: There was no good reason to remove it because having it in wasn't harming anyone and it was just a alternate option.

Yes, because you can literally do all that by just not switching. If you lack the willpower to just not click the switch option that honestly sounds like a you problem, not a game design problem.
Or they could have just not taken out set. Are you really advocating for the removal of options? I really don't want to constantly be reminded to switch it's that simple. Your entire argument is "Willpower". Nah that ain't working. :)

Edit: I'm going to leave it at that. Not wasting posts arguing about this.

Or they could have just not taken out set. Are you really advocating for the removal of options? I really don't want to constantly be reminded to switch it's that simple. Your entire argument is "Willpower". Nah that ain't working. :)
Being blunt, they removed it cause it's not used by many people.

Yes, it's removal of "options", but similarly to why they removed the optional exp share, GameFreaks doesn't like keeping in game things that a small amount of the playerbase uses as they're considered redundant.

As software dev, I actually agree with this stance. Though I understand that it kinda sucks and ultimately it's "harmless" to just keep it around, it's also just useless clutter if the amount of people that use it is too small.

GF's politic on this kind of stuff is "you make your own challenges". And in this case, your own challenge is, unfortunately, "just dont switch four head".

Not the first time, won't be the last, but it is how it is, and protesting won't work cause the other 99% of the playerbase as well as prolly 100% of the only playerbase they care about aka japanese kids don't care.

My argument for the removal of set mode is just how it forces more button presses and wasted time. Even if I choose not to swap every time, it’s an extra 5 seconds per Pokemon, and that’s gonna add up to like an hour of game play by the end of the game

and as someone with hand related health issues, the less button presses the better.

and as someone with hand related health issues, the less button presses the better.
As someone who tried to speedrun Sword and Shield and gave up after a couple runs, other than requiring a math degree for some of the most updated routes, believe me, trying to "go fast" in these games will demolish your hand faster than you can imagine :tymp:

Can't imagine it being much better for SV, but I am looking forward in breaking the shit out of these games (somewhat fast), assuming we don't end up requiring another math degree to figure out the IVs of the starter and the dg and decide if a run has to be reset or not...

Being blunt, they removed it cause it's not used by many people.

Yes, it's removal of "options", but similarly to why they removed the optional exp share, GameFreaks doesn't like keeping in game things that a small amount of the playerbase uses as they're considered redundant.

As software dev, I actually agree with this stance. Though I understand that it kinda sucks and ultimately it's "harmless" to just keep it around, it's also just useless clutter if the amount of people that use it is too small.

GF's politic on this kind of stuff is "you make your own challenges". And in this case, your own challenge is, unfortunately, "just dont switch four head".

Not the first time, won't be the last, but it is how it is, and protesting won't work cause the other 99% of the playerbase as well as prolly 100% of the only playerbase they care about aka japanese kids don't care.
There's many other things they should axe then. Vast majority of players that will ever play don't bother with PvP for example. I'm sure no one would agree with that but if this is based on popularity of the overall playerbase when it comes to axing features...

Edit: I'm not advocating that btw I'm just saying if it comes down to popularity there's many things you could do to axe if that's purely the reason.

Huh - the game has 10 new ribbons?
Code:
TITAN_PALDEA_CHAMP
TITAN_HUGE
TITAN_TINY
TITAN_PICKING_UP_THINGS
TITAN_PARTNER
TITAN_GOURM
TITAN_ONE_CHANCE_IN_A_MILLION
TITAN_OYABUN
TITAN_STRONGEST
TITAN_NUSHI
Wonder what the english names for these are...
The english names are:
Code:
Paldea Champion Ribbon
Jumbo Mark
Mini Mark
Itemfinder Mark
Partner Mark
Gourmand Mark
Once-in-a-Lifetime Ribbon
Alpha Mark
Mightiest Mark
Titan Mark

There's many other things they should axe then. Vast majority of players that will ever play don't bother with PvP for example. I'm sure no one would agree with that but if this is based on popularity of the overall playerbase when it comes to axing features...
And that's where you're wrong, because PvP is exactly what they've been trying to push for last couple gens.

Or you think they've destroyed the entry barrier for breeding / acquiring competitive pokemon, as well as start to partner with various content creators on youtube and twitch in order to get localized streams just out of mercy?

E-sports have a lot of potential as far as money making goes, and Nintendo knows it.

Incidentally, I am quite confident they have been the final nail in the coffin for the facilities too.
Not only they had very small user base, but many VGC players complained of the tedium of having to grind the facilities for BPs.

What a surprise, no facility in gen 9, and all of the PvP related items as well as mints and caps can be bought in shops, hypertrain is suddently at level 50.

Nah, as much as we can not like certain choices they have made lately, there's logic behind them. Questionable sometimes, but logic nontheless.

Edit: also yey first post on page 300

And that's where you're wrong, because PvP is exactly what they've been trying to push for last couple gens.

Or you think they've destroyed the entry barrier for breeding / acquiring competitive pokemon, as well as start to partner with various content creators on youtube and twitch in order to get localized streams just out of mercy?

E-sports have a lot of potential as far as money making goes, and Nintendo knows it.

Incidentally, I am quite confident they have been the final nail in the coffin for the facilities too.
Not only they had very small user base, but many VGC players complained of the tedium of having to grind the facilities for BPs.

What a surprise, no facility in gen 9, and all of the PvP related items as well as mints and caps can be bought in shops, hypertrain is suddently at level 50.

Nah, as much as we can not like certain choices they have made lately, there's logic behind them. Questionable sometimes, but logic nontheless.

Edit: also yey first post on page 300
Read my edit. I still don't like that they cut set btw. It means I'm going to forever be annoyed by the prompt and I say that as someone who only recently started using set. I don't necessarily agree with your explanation since I don't think it existing was hurting anyone and only had benefit. Just going to have to leave it at that. At least you gave the most valid explanation I have seen. Mostly all I see is complete apathy.

I believe it. The Toedscruel line was poorly conceptualized. I mean, Toedscruel has Rage Powder which it can't even use. Seems pretty clear that they made Toedscruel without considering what that would mean, then slapped Mycelium Might on it as an patch job because someone realized Spore might be oppressive on a 100 speed stat.
Why would Toedscruel not be able to use Rage Powder? Even if Mycelium Might were to give status moves 1 less priority, you still end up with increased priority. But all abilities that affect priority mention it directly in their description, so I reckon it works like Sableye's Stall and just puts you last in your current priority bracket.

Read my edit. I still don't like that they cut set btw. It means I'm going to forever be annoyed by the prompt and I say that as someone who only recently started using set.
I finished writing the post before the edit :P

As I said, don't get me wrong, I 100% understand the annoyance at the removal of that kind of stuff.

But aside from keeping certain "grinds" just because you need to give a reason to people to actually play the game after beating it (es, having ability patches drop from high tier raids, or requiring you to actually get the money to buy said items), at this point it is kinda realistic that they start cutting all the unnecessary / underused features.

Ultimately, we have to always remember that this is a children game, where the only reason most adults play it is for the PvP side, and the way GF goes around it is having relatively charming and simple single player experience, with a more complex and intricate PvP format, which they have been making progressively more accessible over the years.

They prolly looked around for feedback to like 100 people 90 of which were 10 year old kids and the other 10 being VGC players, and I'm pretty confident none of them ever bothered to click "Set" in the menu. Or play a facility for more than the bare minimum for BPs (if even, as most actual pvpers just genned their pokes before gen 8 despite what anyone could think). Or changed sound options apparently since these were hidden in gen 8.

No really I still don't understand the sound option bit... and it's been 2 years...

I believe it. The Toedscruel line was poorly conceptualized. I mean, Toedscruel has Rage Powder which it can't even use. Seems pretty clear that they made Toedscruel without considering what that would mean, then slapped Mycelium Might on it as an patch job because someone realized Spore might be oppressive on a 100 speed stat.
I believe the exact opposite. The obvious, clear-as-day intent for this line was to be a spore user that 1) isn’t shit and 2) is fast. But since fast spore is game breaking (especially in singleplayer) they added an ability to make that not possible. It’s a pretty good solution to an obvious problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)