SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

Any leaks/datamines for base stats/abilities? What does the new legends and future/past forms abilities do?
No datamine yet sadly but the abilities for the Legends (Dons) sets Sun/E-Terrain and raises their stats, and then in Sun/E-Terrain the Paradox Mons have their best stat increased whilst under that condition, doesn't seem to be tied to the specific condition set by the Dons either.

The nerf to recovery PP is clearly Nintendo trying to speed up online battles and remove options that allow people to stall. A 20 minute timer with animations is nothing in SS. Probably a sign that that dreaded 20 minutes won’t be getting increased.

If SR is unchanged, that is brutal for flying types. Forced to run HDB unconditionally or else boom tons of health gone and only a few Roosts to work with.

Orichalcum Pulse (confirmed): Sets sun, and has increased Atk stat on sun.
Hadron Engine (presumably): Sets electric terrain, and has increased SPAtk on ETerrain.

Protosynthesis (confirmed): Boosts highest stat on Sun or with a held item.
Quark Drive (presumably): Boosts highest stat on Electric Terrain or with held item (affects flyers/levitators).
Thanks a lot! So just regular sun, no new weather? Also Koraidon isnt fire type so that kinda sucks for it? Sun teams got a real boost with Protosynthesis cause all the good past moms would do better in it.

I don't see it as a problem, necessarily, that the legends work asymmetrically in terms of what counters them. To some degree this is a feature of them using different slots for their field effects, vs having Miraidon summon rain or something. It's nice to have legends that play differently vs being physical/special clones of each other (gen 5 and 7) or one just being obviously superior ( gen 8). I liked the gen 6 legends in the way they had identical stat spreads and abilities but mechanically felt the most dissimilar of any legendary pair since gen 2.

Advantages of Koraidon:

- Effective third STAB which is given a larger boost
- Not stopped by moves that remove terrain (notably including Defog -- I can imagine hazards being used less in SV ubers on teams with Miraidon because your opponent's defog is inherently stronger when it removes terrain aswell)
- Stronger boost provided to other mons, generally Sun provides more useful support
- Effective double resist vs water and removal of rain, allowing safer switchin against Kyogre.

Advantages of Miraidon:

- Field effect provides direct boost to STAB
- Not trolled by one of the most common restricted Pokemon, nor by any other Ubers-viable Pokemon unless Lele starts seeing use.
- Less vulnerability to status (immune to sleep and largely unbothered by burn)
- Not forced to get into a weather war if your opponent tries to use a rain, sand or hail team; terrain teams are largely not a thing because there just isn't the support there.
Yknow, I like these points and also just raised a interesting thing in my head...

One lege is based on the old weather wars, and the other in the more recent terrains.

Avalugg is a mon that exist. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
On a more serious note, do sandstorm directly boost SpDef, independently affect incoming damage, or does it play with the move base power? Because the first option would mean that Avalugg gets a 50% bonus on its body press under snowstorm on top of ridiculous physical walling.

On the paradox abilities: to me, the relative balance of weathers is small compared to actually being able to make a full terrain-based team instead of being limited to a single abuser ability and consumable items.

On snowstorm: similar to my thoughts on frostbite, I'm not a huge fan of having Ice just mirror its closest mechanical counterpart.

On recovery PP nerfs: not a fan. Outside of not preferring HO, I worry that this change will increase the number of situations where the optimal play is to just click buttons waiting for PP to empty (even if the duration is lower), which is the only Stall-like win condition I'm not fond of. There's a part of me that's stuck thinking that the way to combat recovery spam is to increase DoT output, and that the game is trying to write around the loss of universal Toxic instead of just reinstating it. At least we got a DoT specifically strong against two of the best defensive types.

On the timer: still sucks, but I was mostly going to be playing showdown if the pvp scene is good. That's a noticeably sized if at the moment.

On the ability reveals: Mmm, toxic spikes.

Regarding recovery moves' nerfed PP, there's also been an effort across the board to reduce PP of powerful moves. Legendaries' signatures almost always have 5 now (to the point that Judgement was nerfed to 5 in PLA). Also nice QOL for stall vs stall matchups, or would be if stall were still viable.

Seems like they generally want PP limits to be more of a balancing dial they can turn rather than being functionally infinite unless someone is specifically running PP drain as a core strategy.

WAIT
I just remembered one thing...

What if Miraidon learns Rising Voltage?
Btw, Miraidon can hit all of Scarlet Paradoxes with super effective/neutral stab moves, while Koraidon can't hit Valiant at all with it's stabs (and is 4x weak to it).
Even if it doesn't get Rising Voltage I imagine it will get some busted signature move like a 100BP electric move which hits ground types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 24)