Programming Showdex - An Auto-Updating Damage Calculator Built into Showdown!

Issue I've found that came up exclusively on a Chromebook, but not on PC, Smogon Sets seem to buffer forever. Sorry if this has been asked already
Hmmmm this might be pretty difficult for us to diagnose and test since we don't have a Chromebook. Maybe we'll stop by a Best Buy and see if we can test it on one of their display laptops. I have no idea why it wouldn't work with Chrome OS since the Chrome browser should still work the same way, so it's hard to say without more info. Sorry to hear about that tho and thanks for letting us know!

How do I keep the chat open and calcdex open? When I open calcdex it replaces the chat even though I have a large screen, 1440p.
On the Settings page in the Calcdex section, change "Open as..." to Tabbed Panel. If you're using single panel mode, that's why it auto enabled the Battle Overlay mode when it's set by default to "Auto", which overlays the calcdex over chat. With Tabbed Panel mode on, the calcdex will always appear as a tab on the right hand side, and it'll be a lot bigger. Hope that helps!

1666876393030.png

Last edited:
Issue I've found that came up exclusively on a Chromebook, but not on PC, Smogon Sets seem to buffer forever. Sorry if this has been asked already
Interesting! Not sure about how Chrome works on ChromeOS, but based on what you mentioned, it seems that the API call doesn't seem to ever succeed (or fail), so it endlessly hangs.

I could imagine it may have something to do with some default security policies on Chrome for ChromeOS, compared to Chrome on other browsers. I've never used ChromeOS before, but I'm aware it's just Linux under-the-hood. Will have to do some extra research on this.

Regardless, as camboi mentioned, we'll storm a Best Buy at some point and see what we can do ;)

Aqua Jet

Stardew
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
In Random Battles, it would be neat if the moves auto-updated with revealed moves, which it doesn't currently do.
Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 11.50.26 AM.png

This is also a fire project, thank you so much for making it!

In Random Battles, it would be neat if the moves auto-updated with revealed moves, which it doesn't currently do.

This is also a fire project, thank you so much for making it!
Is "Auto-Fill Revealed Moves" enabled in the Settings (Interface section)?

I'm using the latest patch and I just tested a few Gen 5 Random battles and it's replacing the moves with the revealed moves every time. We're releasing the new patch today and it'll be deployed immediately on Firefox and probably by Monday for Chrome. Try it again with the new patch and let me know if it's still not working, but I'm pretty sure it's fixed.

Glad you're liking it and thanks for the feedback!

Clas

My death was... greatly exaggerated
is a Tiering Contributor
bit of a weird one, but is it possible to integrate more support for oms like godly gift, revelationmons (detect what is stab via damage + type effectiveness?), and mix and mega (catalipstick calc is a good example but idk the github repo on the top of my head for this + its a little behind)? project is going amazing rn and i think what would make it even more applicable for the calc in general.

also, is it possible to add general base stat + type editing, on top of a toggle for disabling iv limits? once again this is more a change for oms, but this also helps out other formats such as custom stat custom games that are feasable via iv over/underflow (x > 0-31 iv > y)

I've noticed that the damage calc doesn't seem to be taking eviolite into account correctly. It shows the defence and special defence increased but the estimated damage dealt is as though eviolite is not held by the opposing pokemon. Don't know if its all pokemon using eviolite but I've noticed it for Chansey.

Patch 1.0.5 is now live!
You can read the full patch notes here. This patch includes a lot of UI updates and responsive layout adjustments to make the Calcdex & Hellodex look great on different resolutions (with more support coming in the next patch for larger screens!)

More excitingly, we now fully support VGC/Doubles with the introduction of toggles for Helping Hand, Friend Guard, etc. when the doubles format is detected. We also now officially support Android through the Firefox Beta and Kiwi Browser apps (with custom mobile styling so you can easily open and close the Calcdex overlay from within the battle). Take a look at the screenshots below to see the new changes.

New VGC Support.jpg

New Kiwi Phone Support 2.png

Lastly, we’ve fixed the Eviolite, Sandstorm, and Silvally/Multi-Form bugs, in addition to improving the auto-replacing revealed moves algorithm and other under-the-hood stuff. It feels like we’re getting closer to a really stable build without any discrepancy from the Honko Damage Calc which we pass our data into.
  • Added left/right arrow key support for switching between Showdown panels
  • Improved mobile compatibility and added top & bottom buttons to close the Calcdex Battle overlay on mobile (which displays a “Open Calcdex” button in the battle for quick access)
    • You can now install it on the Android Firefox Beta app, though the process is as inconvenient as they could possibly make it. View the installation instructions here (soon). Hopefully this install process gets better once the feature moves out of Beta. At least they support extensions on mobile, unlike Chrome.
    • You can also easily install it on Kiwi browser from the Chrome Web Store of course (or any other Chromium based browser that supports extensions on mobile).
  • Removed Ability, Nature, Items, and Aurora toggle in Gen 1
  • Fixed Spikes and Stealth Rock damage again (oops)
  • Fixed Imposter transformation moves not applying properly
Almost done! It wouldn’t be a proper patch notes without mentioning a few issues we noticed AFTER we had submitted it for approval or that we didn’t want to delay the patch any longer for.
  • Any sets with a “-” such as “All-out Attacker”, will cut off the first word and appear as “out Attacker” in the Sets dropdown. This is just a visual thing, and sometimes a bit amusing. I like the sound of Mega Lopunny’s “Up Punch” set.
  • The following moves might not work properly: Aura Wheel, Multi-Attack, Natural Gift, Revelation Dance, Techno Blast, Terrain Pulse, Judgment & Weather Ball (only don’t work with Dmax), and Beat Up

Last edited:
bit of a weird one, but is it possible to integrate more support for oms like godly gift, revelationmons (detect what is stab via damage + type effectiveness?), and mix and mega (catalipstick calc is a good example but idk the github repo on the top of my head for this + its a little behind)? project is going amazing rn and i think what would make it even more applicable for the calc in general.

also, is it possible to add general base stat + type editing, on top of a toggle for disabling iv limits? once again this is more a change for oms, but this also helps out other formats such as custom stat custom games that are feasable via iv over/underflow (x > 0-31 iv > y)
We're happy to enable editing for various properties such as Move BP & Type, Pokemon Type, Base Stats, and we can disable the IV limits when applicable. We're thinking that we'll put an Edit Toggle next to Moves when it detects you're playing an OM (or enabled always in settings), and when you click Edit, the DMG and KO% are replaced with BP and Type as you can see below.

1667187781346.png

For editing the mon's typing, not too sure yet how we want to do this. For editing base stats, we'll add another row above IVs where you can edit the values just like you can with EVs. Again this will only be enabled in applicable OMs, because we don't want to clutter up the UI in formats where these features aren't needed (though we'll have a setting to always enable it). That's our major stipulation when it comes to supporting other formats, in that we don't want to mess things up/clutter the UI for standard formats. Otherwise we're more than happy to support as many formats as we feasibly can :)

In regard to detecting what is STAB in Revelationmons automatically, unfortunately that's out of our scope, as we're only auto-setting based on data that is directly revealed in battle, and we're not doing anything to deduce info such as analyzing the damage. The player will be required to set these manually, but if there are Showdown Usage stats that we could pull from, we could potentially display that.

I've noticed that the damage calc doesn't seem to be taking eviolite into account correctly. It shows the defence and special defence increased but the estimated damage dealt is as though eviolite is not held by the opposing pokemon. Don't know if its all pokemon using eviolite but I've noticed it for Chansey.
Can you check if you were on the latest patch (1.0.5) when you encountered the bug (look under Showdex in the Hellodex tab)?
We just fixed this issue in patch 1.0.5, so I'm hoping it didn't break again lol

Hi, loving this tool! Been working fine as a Chrome extension on Windows 10. I was trying it out on my laptop (Macbook Pro M1 Max) as an extension in Ungooogled Chromium and while it loaded and I could adjust all the settings and even see trainer data (name & ELO) in-battle, none of the pokemon or sets or anything else filled in. I am currently unable to test regular Chrome on my laptop to see if that works, but I did test it out on Ungoogled Chromium on my Windows PC and it seemed to work fine right off the bat. So my guess is there may be some issue interacting with the Apple Silicon architecture? Perhaps something similar to the apparent issue with Chromebooks? Just wanted to put this out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)