Resource Natdex OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Steorra

nya smells
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Discord Leader
Why were gems banned but Z-Moves are still here, is there a possibility to bring them back?
"an unofficial metagame based on the principle of everything from Generation 7 being allowed in Generation 8!" is our current identity.

Gems were not in Gen 7 while Z-moves were

Sulo

pure heroine
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
Why were gems banned but Z-Moves are still here, is there a possibility to bring them back?
Gems actually weren't banned; they were removed from the transition to Gen 5 to 6 and onwards, which, of course, includes Gen 7. The only one that remains is Normal Gem.

We don't know if they're coming back in the future, but we can hope.

ugh kaede sniped me

"an unofficial metagame based on the principle of everything from Generation 7 being allowed in Generation 8!" is our current identity.

Gems were not in Gen 7 while Z-moves were
Is there a possibility of bringing them into Nat Dex though? It seems like allowing past mechanics like Megas, Z-Moves and Dynamax/Gigantamax while excluding Gems seems quite counterproductive to nat dexs philosophy of being truly nat dex? Some gems make pokemon that are otherwise not viable viable much like z crystals or any other past mechanic, could they be suspect tested?

Edit: It just feels like Gems (a past mechanic) is not appreciated or given a chance despite the gen 7 change?

Is there a possibility of bringing them into Nat Dex though? It seems like allowing past mechanics like Megas, Z-Moves and Dynamax/Gigantamax while excluding Gems seems quite counterproductive to nat dexs philosophy of being truly nat dex? Some gems make pokemon that are otherwise not viable viable much like z crystals or any other past mechanic, could they be suspect tested?

Edit: It just feels like Gems (a past mechanic) is not appreciated or given a chance despite the gen 7 change?
not super knowledgeable on this stuff so forgive me if I'm completely incorrect or smth, however that would completely change up the meta when natdex is moreso meant to be "SwSh but the games didn't cut the dex" and less "every gen of Pokémon combined." Plus that opens the door for other old mechanics like Gen 2's Berserk Gene.

As far as I know, pokémon transferred to Sword and Shield will automatically get a moveset consisting in what they would have at the level they are being transferred, or something like that. So according to the logic Smogon has been applying up until now, I don't think we'll have these moves available for ND. Bummer. Blame Game Freak for doing something so stupid: why allow them to be tranferred then? I really hope both moves and new pokémon from LPA become available through transfer to generation 9 games.

Why is blissey not used as much as it was before? I remember it being very popular at some point and was wondering what happened to cause it to fall in usage.

Why is blissey not used as much as it was before? I remember it being very popular at some point and was wondering what happened to cause it to fall in usage.
It's really passive and many pokemon it wants to wall can take advantage of it (U-turn, trick) or can kill it (tapu lele psyshock). Pretty much every physical attacker kills Blissey, and it's complete taunt bait. In general, Blissey is just struggling to keep up in a meta with many powerful attackers.

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Why is Zard X at C rank? (Legit curiosity)
It’s been considered (up until recently) to be a very inconsistent sweeper that doesn’t fit on teams and necesitates alot of support (notably hazard control), while offering very little in terms of defensive utility.However, a shift to more offensive teams who usually have flimsy counterplay, coupled with techniques like Healing Wish and stacking Defog users, have led to it having increased viability, which may make it rise in the future.

Say theoretically PLA's new pokemon and forms were given backwards compatibility into SwSh--which PLA Pokemon would be viable and why?

My immediate thoughts are Ursaluna, Hisuian Goodra and Hisuian Zoroark would be powerful in the current meta, but I'm curious as to how they would theoretically affect the metagame based on the Nat Dex meta right now

Steorra

nya smells
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Discord Leader
Say theoretically PLA's new pokemon and forms were given backwards compatibility into SwSh--which PLA Pokemon would be viable and why?

My immediate thoughts are Ursaluna, Hisuian Goodra and Hisuian Zoroark would be powerful in the current meta, but I'm curious as to how they would theoretically affect the metagame based on the Nat Dex meta right now
even so this isn't the place to theorymon about it. If you really want to you can join the National Dex Discord server and see if you spark any discussion on it there

Runo

How it feels to procrastinate on everything
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Why is M-Latios at B+ rank, as opposed to M-Latias at A+ rank? This could also be rephrased as why M-Latias is better than M-Latios.

Why is M-Latios at B+ rank, as opposed to M-Latias at A+ rank? This could also be rephrased as why M-Latias is better than M-Latios.
MLatias is a really good calm mind sweeper thanks to its absurd bulk, power, and speed, and basically carries every fat team in the meta. MLatios is more vulnerable to pursuit trapping and has a harder time setting up in front of powerful attackers, so it usually runs a roost + 3a set that is quite powerful, but not as easy to fit on a team.

So would something like this be an acceptable core for M-Latias? On paper it looks pretty good.
The 3 mons are fine together but the sets are legitimately some of the worst I've seen in a while.

The Heatran needs to be specially defensive and likely should have either Stealth Rock or Taunt instead of Protect. Tapu Fini should not run Whirlpool without Taunt, though I really don't think trapper Tapu Fini is important for squads like these. Mega Latias should run Psyshock and not Psychic.

Runo

Oh you edited your comment. Smh
Yeah while I was playing I noticed how subpar they were, so I did add rocks on Heatran and Taunt on Fini. I still like the idea of Trapper Fini to break through walls. I did replace Psychic with Psyshock on Latias cuz I kept getting walled by specials but Aura Sphere hasn't really been working and Tapu Lele constantly checks it.

Oh you edited your comment. Smh
Yeah while I was playing I noticed how subpar they were, so I did add rocks on Heatran and Taunt on Fini. I still like the idea of Trapper Fini to break through walls. I did replace Psychic with Psyshock on Latias cuz I kept getting walled by specials but Aura Sphere hasn't really been working and Tapu Lele constantly checks it.
Weavile generally works well with Mega Latias to pursuit trap the psychic types that resist psychic and fighting.

Runo

Weavile generally works well with Mega Latias to pursuit trap the psychic types that resist psychic and fighting.
Ok so at this point were just talking about teambuilding so I'm just gonna stop it here since the original question was answered. Thanks for the help though. Weavile sounds like a good teammate.

Is there a reason why Pikachu-World can't use the Pikashunium Z? Despite being introduced in Gen 8, Pikachu-World should be fundamentally the same as Pikachu-Partner, Pikachu-Alola, Pikachu-Original, etc. being a Pikachu with a cap and thus be able to use the Z-Move.

Is there a reason why Pikachu-World can't use the Pikashunium Z? Despite being introduced in Gen 8, Pikachu-World should be fundamentally the same as Pikachu-Partner, Pikachu-Alola, Pikachu-Original, etc. being a Pikachu with a cap and thus be able to use the Z-Move.
I believe it is because the National Dex Mechanics Thread states: " Generation 8 Pokemon can't learn "dexited" moves. Even though it is glaringly obvious that Generation 8 Pokemon should get Hidden Power due to it being a nigh universal TM in previous games, the move data is not in their learnsets in the games' code, so they don't get it. "

Also, don't use pikachu. It sucks.

I believe it is because the National Dex Mechanics Thread states: " Generation 8 Pokemon can't learn "dexited" moves. Even though it is glaringly obvious that Generation 8 Pokemon should get Hidden Power due to it being a nigh universal TM in previous games, the move data is not in their learnsets in the games' code, so they don't get it. "

Also, don't use pikachu. It sucks.
I'm trying to use Ash's Journeys team/Masters 8 team for "the meme" atm but I'm bewildered by the fact it can't use it. Fundamentally Pikachu-World is the same as the other capped Pikachus and therefore should be able to use the move with the proper Z-Crystal. It should be a matter of just making it compatible with it the same way the other ones are. Despite 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt not existing in Gen 8, it should still have access to it via Z-Crystal the same way the other Cap Pikachus are able to given its status as a novelty Pokemon identical to the others. It's literally a Pikachu in a hat, it should be able to use it regardless

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)