[READ ME] Tips for Simple Hack Checks

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Unfortunately they are hacked, yes.
The games prevent legit mythical Pokémon like Celebi from being wondertraded around.
There are ways of circumventing this, but, yes, it involves manipulating the Pokémon, resulting in hacks.

You can keep them if you want.
Just make sure that you don't trade them in this community here.
But, since you're already here, maybe you can trade for a legit Celebi here in the future? :psyglad:

Unfortunately they are hacked, yes.
The games prevent legit mythical Pokémon like Celebi from being wondertraded around.
There are ways of circumventing this, but, yes, it involves manipulating the Pokémon, resulting in hacks.

You can keep them if you want.
Just make sure that you don't trade them in this community here.
But, since you're already here, maybe you can trade for a legit Celebi here in the future? :psyglad:
I actually have one from the Jungle Tours in Japan from a long time ago. This one is a legit copy. I have a way of checking to make sure they're real: Check the OT, the ID No., and if they have the correct ribbons. Checking on Serebii or Bulbapedia is always a good idea and should be suggested.

Tatertot

always the poet, never the poem
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I actually have one from the Jungle Tours in Japan from a long time ago. This one is a legit copy. I have a way of checking to make sure they're real: Check the OT, the ID No., and if they have the correct ribbons. Checking on Serebii or Bulbapedia is always a good idea and should be suggested.
A word of warning, just because the OT, ID number, and ribbon match the event distribution does not mean that it is legitimate, since anyone but the most lazy hackers are easily able to replicate those. What's most important is knowing and trusting the person you're receiving the Pokémon from, as 99% of valuable-looking stuff on Wonder Trade and the GTS is hacked. The first post of this thread has some excellent tips for helping you discern whether something is an obvious hack or not (and goes far more in depth than Serebii or Bulbapedia), but at the end of the day your best defense against competent hackers is being cautious with who you choose to trade with.

A word of warning, just because the OT, ID number, and ribbon match the event distribution does not mean that it is legitimate, since anyone but the most lazy hackers are easily able to replicate those. What's most important is knowing and trusting the person you're receiving the Pokémon from, as 99% of valuable-looking stuff on Wonder Trade and the GTS is hacked. The first post of this thread has some excellent tips for helping you discern whether something is an obvious hack or not (and goes far more in depth than Serebii or Bulbapedia), but at the end of the day your best defense against competent hackers is being cautious with who you choose to trade with.
I had recieved it from a Japanese Pokemon FireRed a while ago. I never got it through wonder trade. I didn't start using the wonder trade or GTS until a couple of days ago. I transferred mine up to my White 2. It hasn't been touched. This is the Jungle (Mitsurin) Celebi from the 2006 Jungle Tours. The Mitsurin Celebi never had a ribbon.
20210809_203356.jpg
20210809_203544.jpg

Last edited:
I was wondering if this Pokemon is hacked.

Language: English
Species: Hoopa
OT: Manesh
ID No.: 08195
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
EVs (optional): Sp. Atk: 250; Sp. Def: 8; Speed: 252
Ability: Magician
Pokemon's name: Hoopa
Level: 100
Pokeball: Cherish Ball
Shiny?: No
Pentagon/Cross? (if yes, specify): Pentagon
Moves: Shadow Ball/Psyshock/Focus Blast/Hyperspace Hole
Nature: Timid
Region of origin: Hoenn
Characteristic: Likes to thrash about
Ribbons: Alola Champion Ribbon; Classic Ribbon
Other comments (optional): I obtained it in a Link Trade on Pokemon Ultra Sun.

Thank you for taking your time to look over this Pokemon.

I was wondering if this Pokemon is hacked.

Species: Hoopa
OT: Manesh
ID No.: 08195
EVs (optional): Sp. Atk: 250; Sp. Def: 8; Speed: 252
Ability: Magician
Pokemon's name: Hoopa
Pokeball: Cherish Ball
Shiny?: No
Pentagon/Cross? (if yes, specify): Pentagon
Moves: Shadow Ball/Psyshock/Focus Blast/Hyperspace Hole
Nature: Timid
Region of origin: Hoenn
Characteristic: Likes to thrash about
Ribbons: Alola Champion Ribbon; Classic Ribbon
Other comments (optional): I obtained it in a Link Trade on Pokemon Ultra Sun.

Thank you for taking your time to look over this Pokemon.
While nothing stands out as questionable, it's generally safe to assume anything perfect you get over WiFi is most likely hacked or edited - especially event/encounter-only Pokemon. If you got it from a reputable source that has evidence of them rng abusing it, then it might be more credible. However, generally this is not the case and should thus be suspect. Otherwise, this Hoopa looks to be from/modeled after one from a Singapore code distribution.

I dunno if this has already been addressed, but Kantonian Weezing can be encountered and caught in Gen 8 through the DLC’s Max Lair. The original post currently states that Kanto Weezing can’t be caught in SwSh at all.

Sort of related (and maybe I'm misreading), but can't the Galarian fossils pass down their ball with a 40% chance of non-HA?

Edit: TIL the dinos can't get freaky

Last edited:
I'd like to hack check this Ditto before I breed with it in Brilliant Diamond. I got this in a trade.

Language: Japanese
Species: Ditto
OT: Diamond.
ID No.: 452376
Ability: Imposter
Pokemon's name: (Japanese Name)
Pokeball: Poke Ball
Shiny?: Yes
Pentagon/Cross? (if yes, specify): Sinnoh Triangle
Moves: Transform
Nature: Hardy
Region of origin: Sinnoh
Characteristic: It likes to thrash about!
Ribbons: None
Other comments (optional): It was holding a Destiny Knot.

Tatertot

always the poet, never the poem
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to hack check this Ditto before I breed with it in Brilliant Diamond. I got this in a trade.

Language: Japanese
Species: Ditto
OT: Diamond.
ID No.: 452376
Ability: Imposter
Pokemon's name: (Japanese Name)
Pokeball: Poke Ball
Pentagon/Cross? (if yes, specify): Sinnoh Triangle
Moves: Transform
Nature: Hardy
Region of origin: Sinnoh
Characteristic: It likes to thrash about!
Ribbons: None
Other comments (optional): It was holding a Destiny Knot.
100% hacked. Wild Pokémon with 6 flawless IVs alone are incredibly rare to obtain in BDSP, even with RNG abuse for those games now being a thing (and it's worth noting that due to there not currently being any tools for Underground or Poké Radar RNG, the only two ways to obtain Ditto, RNGing one isn't currently possible). But the fact that this one is shiny takes it from incredibly rare to essentially impossible.

Last edited:
Hi, my friend has hacked ditto's and breeds with them, he boasts that he can't be caught because the bred pokemon is "legit", I've seen that somehow people can tell if the parent was hacked, how do I explain to them that they will get banned? sorry if this is the wrong place just fed up with them making a perfect team in 2 hours :(

Hi, my friend has hacked ditto's and breeds with them, he boasts that he can't be caught because the bred pokemon is "legit", I've seen that somehow people can tell if the parent was hacked, how do I explain to them that they will get banned? sorry if this is the wrong place just fed up with them making a perfect team in 2 hours :(
While explaining the specifics about how a modified Pokemon and their offspring can be identified would ultimately be more harmful than useful, be assured that there are methods for identifying such Pokemon - both on a surface and subsurface level.

However, please be aware that using modified/generated Dittos is entirely unnecessary at this time. There are two active giveaways on Smogon that provide the necessary Dittos for breeding in Gen 6-7 (here) and Gen 8 (here). All Dittos in these giveaways were obtained through approved methods (generally RNG abuse). If you or your friend would like one or more, all need be done is to follow the listed rules.

While explaining the specifics about how a modified Pokemon and their offspring can be identified would ultimately be more harmful than useful, be assured that there are methods for identifying such Pokemon - both on a surface and subsurface level.

However, please be aware that using modified/generated Dittos is entirely unnecessary at this time. There are two active giveaways on Smogon that provide the necessary Dittos for breeding in Gen 6-7 (here) and Gen 8 (here). All Dittos in these giveaways were obtained through approved methods (generally RNG abuse). If you or your friend would like one or more, all need be done is to follow the listed rules.
Thank you so much! :)

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Pretty sure I just received a hacked Shiny Zygarde from Dynamax Adventures. What's the odds of it being a 6 IV shiny Zygarde?
The odds of perfect IVs are 1/32,760. Multiply that by the 1/100 with the Shiny Charm or 1/300 without it and you have either over 1/3,276,000 or 1/9,830,400. I'd like to point out enough people played SwSh that the odds are "low" enough that it's hypothetically possible that one or two players got one through sheer stupid luck, but what are the odds of those people happening to share their raid when it happened to happen? The odds of it being hacked are about 1/1.

Random Room Trading on Pokemon Home got me a Gyrados with a Let's Go mark and it says it's from Shield, (or that Shield was the last game it went to. Not sure which.) but the weird thing is its Pokeball is... none. Every other Pokemon has their Pokeball next to their name, but this Gyrados doesn't have one. It's either a very interestingly glitched Pokemon or a very obvious hack. Either way, any idea how that's possible?

The odds of perfect IVs are 1/32,760. Multiply that by the 1/100 with the Shiny Charm or 1/300 without it and you have either over 1/3,276,000 or 1/9,830,400. I'd like to point out enough people played SwSh that the odds are "low" enough that it's hypothetically possible that one or two players got one through sheer stupid luck, but what are the odds of those people happening to share their raid when it happened to happen? The odds of it being hacked are about 1/1.
Again, not that I don't think it's a hack, but aren't you guaranteed 4 IVs and the other two are random? That'd be (1/32) * (1/32) *(1/100 or 300). Or odds of 1/102,400 or 1/307,200?

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Again, not that I don't think it's a hack, but aren't you guaranteed 4 IVs and the other two are random? That'd be (1/32) * (1/32) *(1/100 or 300). Or odds of 1/102,400 or 1/307,200?
You're right. I forgot and assumed they had 3 31s because every other Legend has 3. And, yeah, there's still no way it happened naturally with those odds. Something that just hit me is it could be RNG manipulation. I don't know how RNG abuse works in SwSh or if it works on Max Raids, but you can't tell the difference either way and it's better to assume it's hacked. Better safe than sorry.

For the sake of playing devil's advocate, (which is kind of pointless because the odds are so low but still fun for the hypothetical situation,) if you turn off the game before choosing your Pokemon then do a raid for the same Legend, everything will be the same. Same Pokemon and same IVs so you can reset and use a better matching Pokeball if you use the wrong one. I'm not sure if that works if you host it with multiplayer though. (and I don't know if it works with Shinieness because I never found a Max Raid Shiny and wouldn't have risked losing it by trying anyway.)

I don't know how RNG abuse works in SwSh or if it works on Max Raids, but you can't tell the difference either way and it's better to assume it's hacked. Better safe than sorry.
While RNG abuse is possible for Max Raids, there is no way to abuse Dynamax Adventures at this time.

The odds make it very unlikely but not impossible, as you say you cant tell either way if its hacked or not.

For the sake of playing devil's advocate, (which is kind of pointless because the odds are so low but still fun for the hypothetical situation,) if you turn off the game before choosing your Pokemon then do a raid for the same Legend, everything will be the same. Same Pokemon and same IVs so you can reset and use a better matching Pokeball if you use the wrong one. I'm not sure if that works if you host it with multiplayer though. (and I don't know if it works with Shinieness because I never found a Max Raid Shiny and wouldn't have risked losing it by trying anyway.)
Turning off the game before choosing a Pokemon and doing the same path will give you the same Pokemon, but not the same IVs and shininess, so you can use that method to save an easy single-player path to 'SR' for IVs/shiny. If you turn off animations, then it's a much faster shiny hunting method than doing it with randoms, and saves the Pokeballs as well. But shininess (and IVs?) are generated individually for Dynamax Adventures, so you can't share a shiny path with someone else. Your shiny will just disappear.

Edit: You may be talking about Max Raids, where you can indeed save a shiny den and share it with other people, but this doesn't apply to Dynamax Adventures where the legendary Pokemon are.

Last edited:
I finally got an Enamorus over gts on phone home, but could it be hacked? Not shiny, not naturally flawless(hyper trained,) and not a great nature even. But they traded it for a regirock, would anyone do that? I feel regirock is a lot less hard to get...but who HTs a hack vs hacking it to be flawless lol. Idk

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I finally got an Enamorus over gts on phone home, but could it be hacked? Not shiny, not naturally flawless(hyper trained,) and not a great nature even. But they traded it for a regirock, would anyone do that? I feel regirock is a lot less hard to get...but who HTs a hack vs hacking it to be flawless lol. Idk
Realistically, based off of what has been stated likely not but as always when getting something from a stranger (an unknown source) the likely hood of it being a hack is always there. So, as always I would just be careful/cautious.

Realistically, based off of what has been stated likely not but as always when getting something from a stranger (an unknown source) the likely hood of it being a hack is always there. So, as always I would just be careful/cautious.
Ok so it isn't a plainly stupid trade deal for them? Yeah there is a chance for sure hm. I'll look for one from someone here, I'm too lazy to play through my PLA fully lol. If I get it here I will release the gts one, if not, well, I still don't know for sure if I want to use it in battles. I wanted it, but if I used everything I even kinda want to try I'd never sleep.

Just wanted to make sure if this mon is legit.
Species: Kyogre :kyogre:
OT: ウルトラ
ID No.: 180113
IVs: 28 HP / 0 Attack / 31 Defense / 20 Special Attack / 31 Special Defense / 31 Speed
EVs (optional): 0/0/0/0/0/0 (I think)
Ability: Drizzle
Pokemon's name: No Nickname (to be perfectly clear, the pokemon is not called "No Nickname")
Level: 100, I don't know the OG level (it says nothing)
Pokeball: Cherish ball :cherish_ball:
Regional Symbol? (if yes, specify):
Black clover (Alola)

Moves: Aqua Ring / Hydro Pump / Double Edge / Water Spout .
Nature: Lax
Region of origin: Alola
Characteristic: It's somewhat vain!
Ribbons: Classic Ribbon

Other comments (optional):
I tried to transfer it from SV to SWSH (trying to check its memories) via Home, but I couldn't (it gave me the error code 10015, dunno if that helps). It MAY be legit, but I don't know why anyone would trade away a shiny kyogre for a shiny gardevoir, other than it being hacked or cloned.
So, I checked Serebii's event database, and found that there is a distriution event of a shiny kyogre with the same OT and the same ID No. from Alola (Ultra Sun). What makes me doubt the legitimacy of this kyogre is that 1, guy who gave it to me traded it for a shiny gardevoir. 2, the language of the kyogre is english, and the event was from Japan. I was also wondering if there was a sure-fire way to know if it is legit or not (without having to take a trip to Davy Jones' Locker with Captain Jack Sparrow).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)