Data Usage-Based Tier Update for July 2021 (August @ #51) (September @ #95)

Status
Not open for further replies.

romanji

eepy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is Drizzle banned from UU or any of the other lower tiers? I think it may have been in past generations but I don’t know if that’s currently the case.

Also, what is the context for Mew rising to OU? I haven’t played much recently but I still don’t think I’ve ever seen it on the ladder.
1. Drizzle is legal in both RU and UU

2. Spikes was a huge addition, and it has an annoying movepool with Knock Off, Soft-Boiled, and one of Psychic, Flamethrower, or Ice Beam.

doc1203

Banned deucer.
Is Drizzle banned from UU or any of the other lower tiers? I think it may have been in past generations but I don’t know if that’s currently the case.

Also, what is the context for Mew rising to OU? I haven’t played much recently but I still don’t think I’ve ever seen it on the ladder.
im pretty sure drizzle is banned by NU, alongside all weathers except sand

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Just out of interest, if we were to use the June usage stats alone for the update instead of all 3 months the following tier shifts would happen:

Buzzwole would rise from UU to OU
Cloyster would rise from RU to OU
Victini would rise from UUBL to OU

Grimmsnarl would drop from UU to RU

Necrozma would rise from RU to UU
Raikou would rise from RU to UU

Regidrago would drop from RU to NU
Snorlax would drop from RU to NU

Zoroark would drop from NU to PU

Audino would rise from ZU to PU
Jellicent would rise from ZU to PU

Last edited:
Here's Clippy (again) reminding you of the jumps:

Slowking-Galar - RU to OU
Magnezone - RU to OU
Quagsire - PU (to ZU) to UU
Roserade - PUBL to RU
Politoed - ZU to RU
Garbodor - ZU to NU
Landorus - DNU to DOU

Marty last time Quagsire rose, he was also gonna drop to ZU

Last edited:
Just out of interest, if we were to use the June usage stats alone for the update instead of all 3 months the following tier shifts would happen:

Buzzwole would rise from UU to OU
Cloyster would rise from RU to OU
Victini would rise from UUBL to OU

Necrozma would rise from RU to UU
Raikou would rise from RU to UU

Audino would rise from ZU to PU
Jellicent would rise from ZU to PU
That's actually really interesting, to say the least! I feel like you should do this for every month, not gonna lie.

also we may be seein some water suspect tests with pelli in UU, pelliper gives, among more notable things, keldeo, primarina, gyrados, rotom-wash, Azumarill, and Semistoad (although semi prob won't get sent to UUBL) a rain setter with a pivot move. Among less notable things, kingdra, omastar, or if something really weird happens Poliwrath and Ludicolo a good rain setter. It'll be intresting to see how regieleki will fare without light clay in UU, thats gonna be a blow that may take it (and possibly grimm since alolatales is in RU already and grimm alolatales and eleki are the 3 big screen setters) to RU.

also we may be seein some water suspect tests with pelli in UU, pelliper gives, among more notable things, keldeo, primarina, gyrados, rotom-wash, Azumarill, and Semistoad (although semi prob won't get sent to UUBL) a rain setter with a pivot move. Among less notable things, kingdra, omastar, or if something really weird happens Poliwrath and Ludicolo a good rain setter. It'll be intresting to see how regieleki will fare without light clay in UU, thats gonna be a blow that may take it (and possibly grimm since alolatales is in RU already and grimm alolatales and eleki are the 3 big screen setters) to RU.
If they’re gonna ban anything, they’re gonna ban damp rock or Peli itself

Ooh, these three shifts would've been interesting to see happen. Perhaps they might happen in the next few months, no one is certain. Heck we don't even know if the DPP remakes are a Let's Go scenario or if they're compatible with everything from SwSh.

Regardless, theorymon is my cup of tea, so I might want to give insight:

Regidrago is a mon with dumb strong STABs on neutral targets, and limited but still there ways to hit Steel-type resists. It can easily hit Bronzong with Crunch and Copper with Fire Fang or Hammer Arm. A lack of usable special coverage mainly forces Regidrago to go physical. The main point of comparison is with Guzzlord, with Guzzlord having better coverage and dual STAB, which defensively is a curse in many regards. Regidrago has less weaknesses and is much faster but again has no special coverage and as such is very limited. Still, Banded Outrage or Specs Draco is gonna hurt from this thing. Honestly I think Banded is the way to go due to its better coverage selection:

Regidrago @ Choice Band
Ability: Dragon's Maw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Scale Shot
- Hammer Arm / Crunch
- Thunder Fang / Explosion

Dragon Dance is also an option.

Snorlax was a menace when it first dropped to NU, and was promptly quickbanned. Its never come back since, but honestly I think it has a shot of being relatively balanced this time around. We have a lot more strong physical attackers compared to when Lax showed up last time, most notably. Perhaps its still too much of a brickwall for our special attackers that it becomes borked, who knows.

PU Zoroark is something people having been wanting to see happen for a while now, due to Zoroark being a gimmicky mon that in practice is outclassed by other Dark-type attackers like Drapion, Guzzlord, or even Absol. Truthfully though, how Zoroark will fare in PU is anyone's guess. Perhaps it'd be broken for the same reasons it was broken in previous gens of RU, perhaps it'd be a still gimmicky, slightly-less mediocre mon. NP and SD with Boots (maybe even Sash too for its fraility) are still the go-to sets likely, with occasional Choice items. Its Speed stat and U-turn are a huge niche over other PU Dark-types. Being outsped and KOed by Archeops and Whimsicott still sucks but what can you really do? Also yes I know Darkvally and Alolan Persian have these as well but you never see those in PU anyway and Zoroark has a better offensive movepool to take advantage of being a fast pivot.

Grimmsnarl in RU (which was listed up there but not listed in this quoting) I don't see being a particularly notable mon with the loss of Light Clay. Bulk Up shenanigans could be fun I guess. I expect to see it drop further to NU if it does drop to RU though.

LC through OU is a foodchain. Each tier listed on this chart takes good/top tier mons from the rank behind it. (Except NU which preys on everything behind it except LC.
LC->NFE->ZU->PU->NU->RU->UU->OU
edit examples:
LC takes nothing away, for it is the bottom of the tierchain.
NFE takes good/top tier mons like wooloo from LC
ZU takes away top tier mons from nfe that are banned there into its abyss.
PU takes stuff away from zu
NU is a bunch of meanies that steals everything from everything behind it besides lc, Like garbodor.
RU wants electric types running rampant in NU so they take away good ground types like flygon.
UU is just flat out cruel it takes the mons that shape RU like zarude and hoard it for themselves.
OU hates S tier mons behind it so whenever theres an s tier in uu, OU is there and snags them.
Ubers is a good man who does not want OU to be destroyed.

LC through OU is a foodchain. Each tier listed on this chart takes good/top tier mons from the rank behind it. (Except NU which preys on everything behind it except LC.
LC->NFE->ZU->PU->NU->RU->UU->OU
edit examples:
LC takes nothing away, for it is the bottom of the tierchain.
NFE takes good/top tier mons like wooloo from LC
ZU takes away top tier mons from nfe that are banned there into its abyss.
PU takes stuff away from zu
NU is a bunch of meanies that steals everything from everything behind it besides lc, Like garbodor.
RU wants electric types running rampant in NU so they take away good ground types like flygon.
UU is just flat out cruel it takes the mons that shape RU like zarude and hoard it for themselves.
OU hates S tier mons behind it so whenever theres an s tier in uu, OU is there and snags them.
Ubers is a good man who does not want OU to be destroyed.
LC exists entirely separately from the main usage based tiering system. Pokemon like Pawniard and Ferroseed have been placed in tiers like PU, NU, and even RU and still been legal in Little Cup.

Can't wait for Pelipper to either be banished to UUBL or drop down to ZU if Drizzle gets banned. Though rain in UU seems real juicy right now

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
There is a good chance Barraskewda moves back to UU because of Peli leaving Poli in a really awkward position in RU.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Okay yeah I was probably wrong on this lol.

Where's our August predictions, people?
It's almost guaranteed Grimmsnarl will drop to RU (it's now D-rank in UU, and was way below cutoff last month), and Nidoqueen could drop as well. That'll probably be it for quickshifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)