All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Why is Granbull considered the 2nd best Pokemon in Gen 2 UU, while Chansey is not? Chansey has Heal Bell as well, Soft-Boiled, and Special Defense and HP that lets it take Psychic. Granbull on the other hand is forced to rely on Rest and Sleep Talk, and has meager special bulk.

First, Granbull is far better than Chansey because it is a great answer to the best Pokemon in GSC UU, Nidoqueen. Relying on Rest and Sleep Talk isn't a hindrance - it's what allows Granbull to fulfill this role. Second, Granbull doesn't use Heal Bell - this would interfere with its ability to reliably absorb Lovely Kiss. This brings us to the second reason Granbull is far better than Chansey - with the same CurseTalk set that answers Nidoqueen, it is also a monstrous offensive threat in its own right. Chansey is pretty good, but it's a lot harder to put on a team because it offers so much less - it's really just a defensive blob, whereas Granbull is one of the tier's most defining Pokemon because it seamlessly blends its defensive role with its offensive one.

If you know for certain that your opponent is bringing a team of Snorlax, Zapdos, Cloyster, Exeggutor, Gengar and Golem, but you don't know their movesets, how do you punish them? Bring Jynx?

Really a GSC question but also RBY, for the hell of it.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Now that the lower tiers of old generations have been unlocked, it seems that there are going to be quite a few changes to the tiers (most notably, Conkeldurr is probably getting suspected from ORAS UU and the BW sleep and Shadow Tag bans being extended to the lower tiers.) However, is there a possibility that some of the "redundant" Pokemon from upper tiers are going to drop to BLs? For example, Dugtrio is stuck in BW and ORAS OU without Arena Trap, as is Abomasnow in BW UU without Snow Warning.

(I'm referring to specifically those that were in the tier with good reason originally then had their viability taken away completely by a ban, rather than Pokemon that were placed in the wrong tier by bad players and aren't used anymore like Donphan in BW OU.)

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Now that the lower tiers of old generations have been unlocked, it seems that there are going to be quite a few changes to the tiers (most notably, Conkeldurr is probably getting suspected from ORAS UU and the BW sleep and Shadow Tag bans being extended to the lower tiers.) However, is there a possibility that some of the "redundant" Pokemon from upper tiers are going to drop to BLs? For example, Dugtrio is stuck in BW and ORAS OU without Arena Trap, as is Abomasnow in BW UU without Snow Warning.

(I'm referring to specifically those that were in the tier with good reason originally then had their viability taken away completely by a ban, rather than Pokemon that were placed in the wrong tier by bad players and aren't used anymore like Donphan in BW OU.)
I think it is unlikely because tiers are first and foremost usage based, with slight modifications from other bans and clauses. The usage component is fully locked as of the end of the generation upon release of the next generation. There is no mechanism to say what level of usage a Frisk Gothitelle or Sand Force Dugtrio would have gotten during the generation, and we would not re-tier based on viability, since usage, and not viability, has been the key to this process since DPP.

will oldgen lower tiers be put on the website ever? and if not would if be useful for a master tierlist for all tiers in all oldgens to be posted somewhere?

Colteor

Free old gens in WCOP
is a Pre-Contributor
RoAPL Champion
will oldgen lower tiers be put on the website ever? and if not would if be useful for a master tierlist for all tiers in all oldgens to be posted somewhere?
Not sure what you mean by "put on the website", if you want tier lists for old gen lower tiers I'd reccomend the roa resources thread since it has links to the Viability Rankings and other resources for almost every old gen tier.

Fair enough. It may be helpful for people starting out for it to be up there. It's easier to browse through the dex to settle on a tier to try than to hunt through the forums. Thank you!

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
If you know for certain that your opponent is bringing a team of Snorlax, Zapdos, Cloyster, Exeggutor, Gengar and Golem, but you don't know their movesets, how do you punish them? Bring Jynx?
To state the obvious, yes Jynx obviously matches up pretty well against such a team. Raikou is pretty strong in the matchup too, as is Sub Starmie especially vs Thunder Zapdos. Both outspeed Gengar, stand up well to Eggy's Psychic, Starmie's Sub blocks Cloyster's Toxic/Explosion and literally everything Eggy could otherwise threaten (including Giga Drain).

stuart littled.

Banned deucer.
hello I am wonder what is a n good pokemon to counter Sornlax in GoldSilverCrystal with pleas.e I tried Machamp but he is very counter with Zapdos which is annoying.

I've been sharing my team and I haven't gotten around to making a RMT, but I see my pyukumuku set is becoming more popular. I already made several annoying posts about it in the past, so I guess it is documented but is there a place/thread where I can just call dibs or at least get recognition for the set before someone steals my precious glory? I use the same username as showdown. Here is proof.

Attachments

Voyager

He didn't notice that the lights had changed
I've been sharing my team and I haven't gotten around to making a RMT, but I see my pyukumuku set is becoming more popular. I already made several annoying posts about it in the past, so I guess it is documented but is there a place/thread where I can just call dibs or at least get recognition for the set before someone steals my precious glory? I use the same username as showdown. Here is proof.
If ur looking for a place to post heat sets for sm then this thread is good. https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-ou-creative-and-underrated-sets.3683633/ . though pyuku isnt ranked so it might not be ideal, but if the set works well enough u should be fine.

Is it true that thief does not steal anything in Colosseum and XD? Are there any other moves that work differently in those 2 games compared to RSE and FRLG?

Is it possible to use RNG manipulation to predict metronome in any game?

They will sometimes be chosen for room tournaments in the Ruins of Alph room, or you can challenge someone to it. They don't have a permanent ladder but there are three Spotlight ladders each month (one rotational UU or Ubers, one community pick and one staff pick) and a tier you are interested in could also appear there. In the future, please use the Simple Questions - Simple Answers thread for questions like this one (or ask in the Ruins of Alph room or Help room as said above)

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this but I'm looking for some assistance with how the builder handles IVs and Hidden Power for SM. I believe that in SM you can have any Hidden Power with any IVs, thanks to the introduction of Bottle Caps. However, whenever I try to set max IVs for something like an AV Magearna with HP Fire, the builder reverts it to 31/30/31/30/31/30 for HP/Atk/Def/SpA/SpD/Spe. I know that this is because those are the ideal IVs for something to naturally have HP Fire, but shouldn't that not matter in SM because every pokemon can end up with max IVs? Really, I'm just looking for a way to get the builder to keep max IVs on a mon with Hidden Power and not have it automatically reset the IVs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)