Resource National Dex OU Role Compendium

OP stolen from OU Thread

Art by Blazenix

The purpose of this thread is to provide a visual list organized by roles to see what Pokémon do what. This will help new and experienced players alike in finding Pokémon that fit their teams when looking for specific roles. Each Pokemon that is here is viable in the OU metagame, and as such, it will change as the viability rankings get updated. If you feel there is a Pokemon viable for the roles mentioned below and it hasn't been added to the group, then recommend it in your post with solid explanations. The order of roles will be organized in the following way:
  1. Utility (hazard setters and removers)
  2. Offensive roles (wallbreakers, choice item users, and setup sweepers)
  3. Defensive roles (walls)
  4. Weather (rain and sand) and Trick Room
Note that Pokemon listed to the right of a | are considered niche options in that given role, or niche options in general.
1. Utility

Entry Hazards:
Stealth Rock: :clefable: :heatran: :gliscor: :ferrothorn: :garchomp: :landorus-therian: :tyranitar-mega: :excadrill: :swampert-mega: :mew: :kommo-o: :chansey: :diancie-mega:| :blissey: :swampert::hippowdon::torkoal:
Spikes: :ferrothorn: :greninja-ash: :greninja: :mew: :skarmory:| :heracross-mega:
Toxic Spikes: :toxapex:| :greninja::mew:
Sticky Web: :shuckle:| :ribombee: :smeargle: :araquanid:

Suicide Leads:

:landorus-therian: :mew::excadrill::grimmsnarl: | :ribombee:

Hazard Control:
Rapid Spin: :excadrill: | :torkoal:
Defog: :zapdos::gliscor: :corviknight::landorus-therian: :latias-mega:(latias) :kartana::rotom-wash: :tapu-fini: | :moltres: :mantine: :pelipper:
Magic Bounce: :sableye-mega: :diancie-mega:

Trapping:
Pursuit: :tyranitar-mega::tyranitar::weavile:| :aegislash::bisharp:
Magnet Pull: :magnezone:
Other: :heatran:(Magma Storm) | :tangrowth:(Infestation) :pyukumuku::toxapex:(Block) :tapu-fini: (Whirlpool)

2. Offensive Roles

Wallbreakers:

Physical: :garchomp::garchomp-mega::landorus-therian::mawile-mega::kartana::medicham-mega::tyranitar-mega::excadrill::tyranitar::weavile::aegislash::bisharp::charizard-mega-x::rillaboom::gallade-mega::melmetal::victini::heracross-mega: :urshifu-rapid: | :pinsir-mega: :crawdaunt::hoopa-unbound:
Special: :clefable::greninja-ash::hydreigon::kyurem::reuniclus::tapu-lele::volcarona::aegislash::gengar::manaphy::rotom-wash::charizard-mega-y: :alakazam:| :hoopa-unbound::latios-mega:(latios)
Mixed: :greninja::aegislash::kommo-o: :diancie-mega: :dracozolt:| :hoopa-unbound: :latios-mega:(latios)

Stallbreakers:

Taunt: :heatran::tapu-fini:
Set-up: :clefable::gliscor::reuniclus::gengar::manaphy::serperior::gyarados-mega: |:hoopa-unbound::suicune::thundurus-therian:

Choice Item Users:
Choice Band: :kartana::tyranitar::weavile::rillaboom::urshifu-rapid-strike: :aegislash:| :victini: :melmetal::crawdaunt::hoopa-unbound:
Choice Specs: :greninja-ash::kyurem::magnezone::tapu-lele::tapu-koko:
Choice Scarf: :landorus-therian::greninja::jirachi::ditto::victini: | :kartana: :magnezone:

Setup Sweepers:

Bulk Up: :corviknight::zarude: | :urshifu-rapid-strike: :zapdos-galar:
Curse: :scizor-mega:
Dragon Dance: :charizard-mega-x::gyarados-mega: | :gyarados:
Swords Dance: :gliscor::garchomp::garchomp-mega::landorus-therian::mawile-mega::scizor-mega::kartana::excadrill::aegislash::bisharp::charizard-mega-x::rillaboom::gallade-mega::heracross-mega::kommo-o: :hawlucha:| :pinsir-mega::crawdaunt:
Calm Mind: :clefable::latias-mega:(latias):reuniclus::tapu-lele: | :suicune::tapu-koko::slowbro-mega::slowking-galar:
Belly Drum: :kommo-o: | :azumarill:
Nasty Plot: :hydreigon::gengar::alakazam: :thundurus-therian::thundurus:| :hoopa-unbound::rotom-wash::rotom-heat:
Tail Glow:

Clangorous Soul / Clangorous Soulblaze: :kommo-o:
Beast Boost:

Priority:
Sucker Punch: :mawile-mega::bisharp:
Fake Out: :lopunny-mega::medicham-mega:
Water Shuriken: :greninja-ash:
Quick Attack: :lopunny-mega::pinsir-mega:
Bullet Punch: :scizor-mega:| :medicham-mega:
Ice Shard: :weavile:
Shadow Sneak: :aegislash:
Grassy Glide: :rillaboom:
Aqua Jet: :urshifu-rapid-strike::crawdaunt:| :azumarill:

Pivoting:
U-Turn: :corviknight::landorus-therian::lopunny-mega::scizor-mega::greninja::greninja-ash::rillaboom::jirachi::victini: :tapu-koko: | :moltres:
Volt Switch: :rotom-wash: :tapu-koko: :zeraora::magnezone: | :zapdos::rotom-heat:
Teleport: :slowbro::slowking::blissey:|:chansey::slowbro-mega:
Flip Turn: :swampert-mega: | :swampert:

3. Defensive Roles

Walls:
Physically Defensive: :clefable::corviknight::slowbro::slowbro-mega::zapdos::tangrowth::reuniclus::venusaur-mega::alomomola::skarmory: | :hippowdon::moltres::suicune:
Specially Defensive: :clefable::gliscor::heatran::toxapex::blissey::gastrodon::sableye-mega::chansey::kommo-o: :slowking:| :mantine: :slowking-galar::pyukumuku:
Mixed: :gliscor::ferrothorn::scizor-mega::latias-mega:(latias):hippowdon::tapu-fini::venusaur-mega::amoonguss::tangrowth:| :shedinja:

Clerics:
Wish: :alomomola::clefable:| :blissey::chansey::jirachi:
Heal Bell / Aromatherapy: :clefable::blissey::chansey:

Healing Wish / Lunar Dance: :jirachi: | :chansey::blissey::clefable::cresselia:

4. Weather and Trick Room
Rain:

Drizzle: :pelipper:
Swift Swim: :swampert-mega:

Other Abusers: :greninja-ash::manaphy: :tapu-koko::zapdos::thundurus-therian:

Sand:
Sand Stream: :tyranitar-mega::tyranitar: | :hippowdon:
Sand Rush: :excadrill: | :dracozolt:
Other Abusers: :garchomp-mega:

Hail:

Snow Warning: :ninetales-alola:
Slush Rush: :arctozolt:

Sun:
Drought:
:torkoal:
Chlorophyll: :venusaur:
Other Abusers: :kartana::heatran::victini:

(Note that Sun is considered a niche playstyle, and therefore all of its setters and abusers are considered niche options)

Trick Room:
Setters: :uxie::cresselia::hatterene::stakataka:
Abusers: :mawile-mega: :melmetal::crawdaunt::marowak-alola:

(note that Trick Room is considered a niche playstyle, and therefore all of its setters and abusers are considered niche options)

Please remain civil and provide valid reasoning when nomming to include / remove a pokemon from the list. Happy posting!
20/09/20 - Revamped completely
30/11/20 - Removed Dragapult following its ban, added Zapdos to rain abusers. Moved Koko from niche to viable section in both U-turn/Volt Switch and Rain Abusers
7/12/20 - Made a few changes based on the 1/12/20 VR update -
22/03/20 - Removed Cinderace
6/01/21 - Revamp for current meta and new additions

Last edited by a moderator:
Genesect should be added to Shift Gear section. Although the set is a little bit nicher than a lot of its other sets. It can sweep late game under the right conditions.

Edit: Victini to Sun Abusers as well.

Last edited:

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
Great overall, I'd put Blacephalon as a Beast Boost user (and Choice Scarfer honestly its a great cleaner in the metagame) and Victini as a Sun Abuser but this looks great overall.

First thing is first, good job on taking the time to compile the list. And also to everyone who contributed.

While it may not be the best in this role I believe ZardX should be included as a Dragon dancer, also as a defogger on fatter teams.

Porygon2 in the trick room section as its bulk, and unique typing amongst trick room setters provides ample of opportunities. And it has great support options in the form of magic coat. Phys defensive variants may pray upon hammer arm less Mega-Meta. It can discourages some physical threats w/ foul play, like the aforementioned metagross. Lures in Heatran with hp Ground. May successfully trap and remove zone, and duggy w/ trace. Or if invested in special defenses it could take on Ash-Greninja. The point I am making is that it's last two moveslots, role in the team, as well as stats, are customisable depending on the needs of your team.

Clangorous Soul / Clangorous Soulblaze
Also I notice that there's a section specifically for kommo-o - can we re-name that to Omni boosts, so that we can include Porygon-Z. I get that it struggles to find set up opportunities, and is overly reliant on alot support, however once DMax receives the boot; this set will become a bit more viable.

My last nom is perhaps the most controversial. Especially, considering how much this Mon is outclassed in almost every role. However, I believe there a glimmer of hope for Mega-Altaria as a defogger.

Kind of nitpicky but I think all the mons listed that are unranked on the VR should be removed because I believe this Resource should only include the mons that are consider viable. This is how gen 7 did it and I think it works the best because it gives new players a glimpse of the entire metagame and not outclassed things like Drednaw and Polteageist.

The moves Magic Coat and Taunt should be part of Hazard Control.
Araquanid is a great user of Magic Coat, and tons of Pokemon use Taunt.

:rotom-heat: -> Nasty Plot

Also I know you gonna remove Genesect but theres still some unranks in here I'll point them out for you.

:corsola-galar: :shuckle: :deoxys-defense: :uxie: :scolipede: :Araquanid: :smeargle: :tapu-koko: :conkeldurr: :cinderace: :muk-alola: :krookodile: :garchomp-mega: :barraskewda: :pinsir-mega: :terrakion::dragonite: :togekiss: :thundurus: :buzzwole: :snorlax: :celesteela: :latias: :cresselia: :breloom: :marowak-alola:

Also I would just nuke the Trick Room section since all of its setters bar Magearna are unranked.

Last edited:
:kyurem: -> Choice Specs
:aegislash: -> Choice Specs and Choice Band
:ditto: -> Reverse Trapping. Very good if HP Ground is used.

Btw there should be a Stallbreaker section. Going against Stall without one is a death sentence basically.
Heyy, I don't understand, what do you mean about ''Hp ground used'' in a Ditto? Can you explain to me? Thank you

Heyy, I don't understand, what do you mean about ''Hp ground used'' in a Ditto? Can you explain to me? Thank you
Even though Ditto can’t learn Hidden Power itself, when it copies a Pokemon that has Hidden Power in its moveset, Ditto is able to use Hidden Power. Since Magnezone often carries Hidden Power Fire as a move, Ditto can set its IVs so it can have Hidden Power Ground and thus trap Magnezone.

Even though Ditto can’t learn Hidden Power itself, when it copies a Pokemon that has Hidden Power in its moveset, Ditto is able to use Hidden Power. Since Magnezone often carries Hidden Power Fire as a move, Ditto can set its IVs so it can have Hidden Power Ground and thus trap Magnezone.
Ohhh sure, awesome! Thank you!
And what IV's set I have to put? Have some order?

I found something like this

Hidden Power Ground:
31/O/31/30/30/31
30/E/30/31/30/30
31/E/31/30/30/31
30/O/31/30/30/31

But, what mean these ''O/E"?

Makima

Banned deucer.
Volcarona should be added to the Setup Sweepers section (Quiver Dance)
Seconding this because little info is provided, but Volcarona is 20th in usage in 1760+ at 9.41%. Boots make it much more pasteable on a team as it can easily setup without rocks as a deterrent. A Quiver now keeps it out of range of scald from bulkier pokemon whereas with rocks damage it otherwise would not.

tf

Natdex Unplayer
choice specs user
knocked off chansey252+ SpA Choice Specs Aegislash-Blade Steel Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Chansey: 381-448 (54.1 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Hydrei 252+ SpA Choice Specs Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 8 HP / 32 SpD Hydreigon: 240-283 (73.3 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aegislash-Blade Steel Beam vs. 8 HP / 32 SpD Hydreigon: 418-493 (127.8 - 150.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Offensive tornadus 252+ SpA Choice Specs Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus-T: 249-294 (83 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Offensive heatran 252+ SpA Choice Specs Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 216-255 (66.8 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Mega Tar 252+ SpA Choice Specs Aegislash-Blade Steel Beam vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 456-536 (115.7 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Sorry for double post but i went through the entire set compendium and updated it. Plz let me know if i missed anything ( i removed all UR mons)
in addition i removed all mention of mons that technically have the move but don't use it ( for example, greninja using toxic spikes or hydreigon using defog)
I tried to be conservative as possible but there were some that technically could be useful but simply have no usage atm like chansey using healing wish which is technically something worth looking into but it has seen very little usage and probably for good reason. There was some I wasn't completely sure so i left it there ( for example dracozolt under choice band I wasn't sure or not whether it utilized band or not though i was relatively sure its viable set was sub + drag z ). Finally, sorry for the format for added mons i couldn't make it match with the size of other mons.
(plz let me know if its not allowed to do this as well)
1. Utility

Entry Hazards:
Stealth Rock:

Spikes:

Toxic Spikes:

Sticky Web:

Hazard Control:
Rapid Spin:

Defog:
(♀)

Magic Bounce:

Court Change:

Trapping:
Pursuit:

Magnet Pull:

Magma Storm:

2. Offensive Roles

Wallbreakers:

Physical:

Special:
(♂)
(♀)
:greninja:
Mixed:
(♂)
:thundurus-therian:

Choice Item Users:
Choice Band:

Choice Specs:

Choice Scarf:

Setup Sweepers:

Bulk Up:
:cinderace:
Curse:

Dragon Dance:

Swords Dance:

Calm Mind:
(♀)

Belly Drum:

Nasty Plot:

Tail Glow:

Clangorous Soul / Clangorous Soulblaze:

Shift Gear:

Beast Boost / Soul-Heart:
/

Priority:
Aqua Jet:

Bullet Punch:

Ice Shard:

Fake Out:

Mach Punch: none :(
Prankster:

Shadow Sneak:

Sucker Punch:
:dragapult:

Pivots:
U-Turn:

Volt Switch:

Teleport:
:clefable:

3. Defensive Roles

Walls:
Physically Defensive:
:clefable: :venusaur-mega: :mandibuzz:
Specially Defensive:
:tangrowth: :tapu fini:
Mixed:

Pivots:
Offensive:

Defensive:
(♀)

Clerics:
Wish:
(♀)
Heal Bell / Aromatherapy:

Healing Wish / Lunar Dance:
(♀)

4. Weather and Trick Room
Rain:
Drizzle:

Swift Swim:

Other Abusers:

Sand:
Sand Stream:

Sand Rush:

Other Abusers:

Sun:

Drought:

Chlorophyll:

Trick Room:
Setters:

Abusers:

as a final thing, plz let me know if it not allowed to do something like this and if it is plz let if i missed anything

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)